Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alice Pierce or Sandra Gould?

Who played the nosy neighbor, Gladys Kravitz best?

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2024 8:26 PM

Alice Pearce, OP. And it’s Alice, without question.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2024 10:44 PM

Thanks R1. I realized shortly after posting when I was googling how many seasons she was on. But without the ability to edit, I let it slide. Almost everything I read has Alice getting the biggest kudos but if what I read is correct, she passed away mid season of Season 2. So Sandra was on so much longer. I liked them both. Alice had such a great look. But Sandra with her updo was good too, IMHO.

-OP

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2024 10:53 PM

Alice Pearce, of course. She was great in On The Town also. She made Gene Kelly look almost human.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2024 10:56 PM

Unlike the unsuccessful “new-Lionel” the (necessary) recasting of Gladys went in a different but still funny and appropriate direction.

Sandra was more shrill, less befuddled - but they both work.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2024 11:02 PM

Alice Pierce for the win. She was perfection.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2024 11:08 PM

Alice & Liz were good friends.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2024 11:16 PM

Gould was on longer but Pearce actually did more episodes. Gladys wasn’t as important after Pearce.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2024 11:20 PM

I did love the way Gould said AB-NAH. George Tobias was great opposite both of them.

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2024 11:31 PM

I never even knew there had been another, earlier Mrs. Kravitz as the syndication packages in the 70s and 80s only showed the color episodes. Same with “My Three Sons” where I never knew about Bub or oldest son Mike.

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2024 11:34 PM

R9, have you since seen the episodes featuring Alice Pearce?

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2024 11:48 PM

[quote]Gould was on longer but Pearce actually did more episodes. Gladys wasn’t as important after Pearce.

I only found out recently that the Kravitzes didn't appear in the final season (season 8). As much as I've watched the show over the years, I never realized this.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2024 12:18 AM

R9 I knew these things because I was born in 1958. :/

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2024 12:58 AM

I loved Alice Pearce. I didn't really care for Sandra Gould. Big shoes to fill. Alice Pearce and George Tobias also played Doris Day's nosy neighbors in The Glass Bottom Boat. Saw that movie at the drive in as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2024 1:01 AM

Oh no! Of what did Ms. Pearce die?

Thoughts and prayers :)

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2024 1:59 AM

Alice was unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2024 2:09 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2024 2:12 AM

R14 Not knowing how to Google

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2024 2:22 AM

R14 Cancer, you lazy fuck.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2024 2:27 AM

Easiest Datalounge question ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2024 2:30 AM

RealGlady's funniest episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2024 2:33 AM

I'm most awfully sorry! I really hope you can find it within you to forgive me!

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2024 2:33 AM

Poor Alice. Loved her as Lucy Schmeeler in On The Town, too. Typical Comden-Green name for a character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2024 2:34 AM

A friend and I talked about this once. He said that Gould would’ve been fine if she hadn’t followed Pierce. I agreed with the assessment.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2024 2:37 AM

Like Dick Sargent would have been fine if he hadn't followed Dick York.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2024 2:41 AM

I don't think it would have been a hit if it started with Dick Sargent. Everybody hates fake Derwood. Montgomery's and York's chemistry was off the charts. Which often happens when one ore both actors can't stand each other. Hard to believe Montgomery didn't really like York.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2024 2:43 AM

Funny thing, back when Bewitched was actually a current prime time hit, most of the kids I knew loved Dick Sargent - preferred him to Dick York. I couldn't understand it.

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2024 3:02 AM

Dick Sargent was hot and had a nasty undercurrent / thus good in bed - you understood why Sam agreed to “give up” her powers. York was not at all sexy and far too buffoonish.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2024 4:09 PM

Alice was funny, Sandra was annoying.

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2024 4:15 PM

Alice Pearce (correct spelling of her last name) had a very funny scene in Doris Day's 1963 hit comedy, "The Thrill of it All".

She and George Tobias (Abner) were hired in 1965 to dos several scenes for Day's 1966 hit, "The Glass Bottom Boat". Pearce was visibly ill during production and passed away before the film was released.

Day saw how difficult it was for Pearce to do her scenes, and spent time with her in Pearce's dressing room, giving her pep talks and providing encouragement. She had a real appreciation for Pearce's talents.

Day also personally liked Gould. Sandra had appeared in small parts in two od Day's early films at Warners ("It's a Great Feeling" and "My Dream is Yours"). However, she felt Pearce was one of the funniest actresses around.

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2024 4:33 PM

Like r9 I didn’t see Pearce as Kravitz probably until Nick At Nite started airing the complete series in the 90s. It was a bit jarring at first because I was so used to Gould but Pearce is so endearing she quickly won me over.

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2024 5:02 PM

More pertinent: who is the Bewitched Troll? We know the Golden Girls Troll is Michael Musto, typing from his ugly, smelly living room.

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2024 5:14 PM

Alice Pearce & Marion Lorne were outstanding comedic character actors.

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2024 8:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!