Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Watching "Yentl" again after reading Babs autobiography.

I'm a gay man in love with Amy Irving as Hadass. She's gorgeous. Mandy Potemkin is an ass. She's too good for him. Babs almost fired him because he was so rude to everyone. Apparently he was behaving like this because he expected to have an affair with her, but she wasn't interested. Even seeing his bare ass in the skinny dipping scene didn't save it for me.

by Anonymousreply 97July 21, 2024 12:22 AM

Jesus, how many times was Mandy Patinkin either fired or almost-fired for being an ass? It's amazing he's had such a long career.

The younger folks love him because his wife is old and grey and they are a cute couple.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2024 3:02 AM

Avigdor wait!

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2024 3:08 AM

All of Barbra's films were so that she could get her chosen leading man for her lover. When Ralph Fiennes backed out of "The Normal Heart" - so did Babs.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2024 4:23 AM

Mandy has always been an asshole - and I know someone who used to work for his brother in Chicago - HUGE asshole. Nasty. Mean.

How he managed to have a career is a lesson in covering up for people's bad behavior.

I hate when people get away with this shit for decades - the injustice of it all after hurting so many people. And I saw him give some half-hearted apology about his behavior - and that it was learned behavior, blah, blah.

NO - you're a spoiled fucking BRAT. People have been telling you to tone it down your whole life - but NOOOO. Fucking hate people like this. MAGA personalities.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2024 4:38 AM

And it's a Trump thread in 4 posts. Kudos

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2024 4:54 AM

Mandy Potemkin could be a bit of a battleship, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2024 5:07 AM

He seems a bit contrite these past few years. Is it genuine or is it just a play to ensure there's a good legacy narrative? I remember the endless gossip here about Mandy 20 years ago saying that he beat his wife

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2024 5:17 AM

I goddamn hate Mandy Patinkin. He acts like ****ACTING*** is the cure for all mankind’s whoas. He’s just oh so serious about his ***CRAFT***.

Simmer down fool, you were canned from Chicago Hope.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2024 5:26 AM

His segment for the pandemic era Sondheim 90th video was so self-indulgently cringe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2024 5:45 AM

It was “cringe”, R9? What does that even mean?

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2024 6:37 AM

Awkward and embarrassing, r10, like you're attempt to be an asshole here.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2024 6:41 AM

Your* (phone)

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2024 6:41 AM

Oh, you meant “cringeworthy”, R11! “Cringe” is a verb, not an adjective.

I may be an asshole, but I’m not illiterate.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2024 6:58 AM

It's common usage and has been for a few years, which trumps your rules any day, and also proves that you need to get out more (or that you're just trolling). Bonne journée!

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2024 6:59 AM

I thought it was weird that Barbra sang all the songs.

Nothing for Mandy Patinkin, a musical theater actor.

Nor Amy Irving, who sang for Jessica Rabbit.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2024 7:03 AM

Aw R7, did he really beat his wife? She seems like such a dear.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2024 7:04 AM

They didn't have the Bergmans on speed dial.

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2024 7:05 AM

So ironic that Patti LuPone is his ONLY costar with good things to say.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2024 7:07 AM

Yes OP, the incorrigible Potemkin.

Well, Catherine liked him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2024 7:20 AM

Maybe OP was referring to a Potemkin village? This was filmed behind the Iron Curtain, after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2024 7:26 AM

[high fives r13]

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2024 8:18 AM

His wife sho is ugly

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2024 10:55 PM

Hi Barbra troll. Hope you die soon.

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2024 10:58 PM

I wonder if he tried to start up with Patti Mascarpone in Evita- she would not have tolerated any uppityness from him.

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2024 11:05 PM

Can't believe Babs admitted this in her book but she said after "Yentl" Mandy did an album and asked her to write the liner notes and she said no because of all the trouble he gave her. Good for her.

She originally wanted Richard Gere and he said yes BUT she had to make a choice of either directing or starring. He didn't think being her first movie she could handle both jobs.

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2024 11:15 PM

All the songs in "Yentl" reflected the title character's thoughts & feelings; the concept was that only through the introspective lyrics could Yentl express everything her society forbid her from doing & saying. Conveniently, that meant no songs for Mandy & Amy & more songs for me!

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2024 11:19 PM

I hate his singing too - it reminds me of some 1920's voice, almost Al Jolson like.

But I would have fucked him in The Princess Bride - after I was done with the beautiful Cary Elwes.

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2024 6:56 PM

Has Babs ever NOT had huge problems with the movies she has made? It seems none of her endeavors, acting or directing, were exactly smooth sailing. Of course, she is the common denominator. I don't doubt Mandy was a dick, though. His reputation is well known.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2024 7:23 PM

From her book it seems The Mirror Has Two Faces didn't go too badly. She spent more time complaining about not being able to deliver the Oscar for Betty Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2024 7:45 PM

In a way, I can't blame Patinkin for being an 'ass' while working on YENTL. Here's what he said all along, which Streisand didn't really mention in her memoir...

She 'discovered' Patinkin on Broadway, in the musical EVITA. She thought he was handsome, a great actor, and had a wonderful singing voice. She met with him backstage to talk about 'YENTL' which she was working on then. They got together afterwards, and she presented the project to him as a 'traditional musical' - in which his character would be singing along with her (after all, she loved his singing voice). There had been songs written for him as solos as well as duets with her. He was excited to be offered this, and accepted.

Once the movie went through its millions of revisions, she presented him the final script there were no more songs for him. He would no longer be singing in the movie (and she had never told him when the decisions were made). He had second thoughts about the movie, and was on the verge of quitting - she talked him into staying with the project (she had already been refused by other actors she offered the role to - including Richard Gere and Michael Douglas). He stayed, begrudgingly, but always said he was proud of the work he did in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2024 9:32 PM

The temper trend can't be denied. He's an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2024 9:35 PM

Forbidden Broadway did a brilliant parody song for Mandy "Super frantic hyperactive self-indulgent Mandy" to the song from Mary Poppins "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". They nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2024 2:39 AM

Why would anyone watch this movie more than once?

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2024 3:40 AM

Amy Irving is a wonderfully talented actress. I've seen her in films and on stage and she is always so good, and often better than the material. I wish she'd done more leading roles in films.

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2024 4:19 AM

Because it’s completely unique and very well made. There’s no other film like Yentl.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2024 8:12 AM

Barbra wanted the movie to have a golden glow like a Rembrandt but it looks like it was shot through root beer.

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2024 9:14 AM

Gosh OP you’re not averse to talking about the deep stuff. Respect.

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2024 9:20 AM

[quote]Barbra wanted the movie to have a golden glow like a Rembrandt but it looks like it was shot through root beer.

Horseshit, it has gorgeous cinematography. Amy Irving was beautiful, the best she ever looked, like a porcelain doll and Streisand shot her so. All Hadass's family scenes were lush.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2024 9:49 AM

Can I ask you a little bit about “Yentl”? I know you didn’t like the script when you first read it.

I was offended with certain parts of it. I thought, This would never happen, guys in the yeshiva aren’t going to watch all these girls bathing naked—that’s, like, everything they’re taught not to do. And then I also wanted to wear payot and, you know, to have the hair shaved, and Barbra wasn’t into it. She said I looked like Michelangelo.

Was there something that convinced you to do it? Was it Barbra’s belief in the project? I mean, she had been trying to get this thing made for years; she was obsessed with it.

From my understanding, she had spent fourteen years trying to get this thing made. I believe she had sixteen scripts written when I read it. First of all, I wasn’t a movie star, I wasn’t anybody famous or powerful—I was just a stage actor. And I figured Richard Gere was going to be doing it. Cis Corman, a casting director, wanted me to meet with Barbra. And I said, “I don’t think it’s appropriate, because if someone has spent fourteen years on this I don’t want to be critical of it.” Somehow that message was delivered, and [Barbra] said, “I understand you have problems, you don’t like it; I want to meet you anyway.” I said, “O.K.” So I go over and she wants to know every single thing that I don’t like.

I went down my little shopping list. “Great,” she said. “What if I get you a mini tape recorder you can hide in your pocket, and a mini camera, like a spy camera? Would you be willing to go to a yeshiva and soak up information and share it with me?” I said, “Sure.” I actually went to a yeshiva in Monsey.

So at some point after, she calls me over to her apartment on the Upper West Side, just about a block and a half from where I was living, but she had very different digs than mine. I go in, and we’re sitting at the dining table and she says, “Could you read some of the scenes with me? Do you mind, just so we can get talking about it?” So I read the scenes with her, and she said, “Do you mind if we film them or videotape them?” I find out later that that becomes my audition.

You showed up late to the filming, right?

My son Isaac was born in exactly the moment we were going to what was then Czechoslovakia. Barbra gave Isaac a Tiffany silver spoon. We still have it; it says “From Your Auntie Yentl.”

I have to ask, did you know how much of your butt would be in that movie?

She wanted me to go swimming every day, so I went swimming every day, in a very cold lake. When it came to my turn to be exposed, I was minimally concerned, but, at the end of the day, I thought, Hey, look, I know that the frame is going to be one thing, but the negative may have more information. What control am I going to have over this? Probably zero. I remember that the water was so cold that I felt, whatever I was . . . endowed with had disappeared because of the cold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2024 9:56 AM

I just came upon my copy of Isaac Bashevis Singer stories yesterday and it, of course, includes, “Yentl, the Yeshiva Boy.” It’s a good tale. Not that long.

I remember Singer did not hold back and completely trashed the movie after he saw it. He was relentless.

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2024 10:34 AM

Since r40 is a pushy little cunt who thinks everyone is on a desktop, here's a summary of their fucking vandalism copypasta:

The speaker, Mandy Patinkin, was initially hesitant to take on the role in Yentl because of script issues and disagreements with Barbra Streisand's vision. However, Streisand's persistence and willingness to address his concerns (including sending him undercover to a yeshiva) eventually convinced him. The audition process was unconventional, involving table reads that turned into filmed recordings. Patinkin also mentions his discomfort with some nudity in the film.

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2024 10:39 AM

[quote]I remember that the water was so cold that I felt, whatever I was . . . endowed with had disappeared because of the cold.

....Said every guy who ever lived.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2024 10:40 AM

Wow, she was very accommodating to him and he still was a pain in the ass on set.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2024 10:42 AM

Taking all his songs away is not accomodating

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2024 10:50 AM

There was never "his" songs. The songs were conceived as Yentl's inner voice.

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2024 10:54 AM

Diane Lane auditioned for Hadass. Of course, she later became Barb's daughter in law.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2024 12:48 PM

I didn’t know that Mandy was a guys name

by Anonymousreply 47June 24, 2024 4:23 AM

R45 she sold it to him as a traditional musical. He was unaware that Barbra’s monstrous ego meant she would have all the songs

by Anonymousreply 48June 24, 2024 4:25 AM

R46 Josh was forgiven pretty readily for beating Diane up

by Anonymousreply 49June 24, 2024 4:25 AM

What-ev-er.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 24, 2024 4:50 AM

R50. Didn't Tovah do a cartwheel in Yentl exposing black lace panties?

by Anonymousreply 51June 24, 2024 9:20 AM

Mike Nichols fired Mandy after two days filming "Heartburn" and replaced him with Jack Nicholson.

by Anonymousreply 52June 24, 2024 11:08 AM

I.B. Singer weighed in to the NYT about her film of his play!

“In my script Yentl does not stay on stage from beginning to end. The leading actress must make room for others to have their say and exhibit their talents. No matter how good you are, you don't take everything for yourself. I don't mean to say that my script was perfect, or even good. But at least I understood that in this case the leading actress cannot monopolize the stage. We all know that actors fight for bigger parts, but a director worth his name will not allow one actor to usurp the entire play. When an actor is also the producer and the director and the writer he would have to be exceedingly wise to curb his appetites. I must say that Miss Streisand was exceedingly kind to herself. The result is that Miss Streisand is always present, while poor Yentl is absent.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 24, 2024 1:08 PM

Ouch!

by Anonymousreply 54June 24, 2024 2:01 PM

[quote]...is the cure for all mankind’s whoas.

R8? Are you SJP?

by Anonymousreply 55June 24, 2024 2:51 PM

R30? Barbra took all his songs?

Sounds like she pulled a Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 56June 24, 2024 2:55 PM

R15, I think that's because of it being a Barbra film so everything must be from her point of view.

by Anonymousreply 57June 24, 2024 3:08 PM

I've always liked the fact it was an MGM/UA film.

Barbras only MGM musical.

by Anonymousreply 58June 24, 2024 3:08 PM

[quote]I didn’t know that Mandy was a guys name

His real name is Mandel Bruce Patinkin.

by Anonymousreply 59June 24, 2024 3:23 PM

Forbidden Broadway video of Mandy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 24, 2024 4:31 PM

More

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 24, 2024 4:35 PM

[quote]The leading actress must make room for others to have their say and exhibit their talents.

Dude, It's called "Yentl", not "Third Rabbi On The Left."

by Anonymousreply 62June 24, 2024 5:37 PM

^ You know he’s right

by Anonymousreply 63June 24, 2024 6:07 PM

I'm reminded of the scene from SUNSET BOULEVARD where the script doctor Joe drops a page of Norma's SALOME manuscript into the waste-paper basket and she reacts instantly.

NORMA: What's that?

JOE: I thought we might cut away from the slave market...

NORMA: Cut away from me?

JOE: Norma, they don't want you in every scene.

NORMA: Of course, they do. What else would they have come for. Put it back.

😂

by Anonymousreply 64June 24, 2024 7:01 PM

Draw your own conclusions

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 24, 2024 7:58 PM

[quote]His real name is Mandel Bruce Patinkin.

His real name is Mandel Bruce Painintheass.

by Anonymousreply 66June 25, 2024 12:38 AM

[R65] I suspect Mandy has tiny meat which is why he is always so angry

by Anonymousreply 67July 11, 2024 5:38 AM

Those FB clips are merciless.

by Anonymousreply 68July 13, 2024 5:42 PM

Tovah Feldlush was supposedly brilliant in the play.

Barbra had made shitty remarks about Evita to the press when it opened on Broadway. I'm surprised Patinkin even agreed to do the movie. Patti has never been impressed with her, and went off on a reporter that tried to compare her to Streisand years back.

by Anonymousreply 69July 13, 2024 5:57 PM

R53, I.B. Singer was a worse megalomaniac than Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 70July 13, 2024 6:20 PM

[quote]Barbra had made shitty remarks about Evita to the press when it opened on Broadway

Link, r69?

by Anonymousreply 71July 13, 2024 6:23 PM

Stop we have enough babs and yentl related threads

by Anonymousreply 72July 13, 2024 6:31 PM

I hated every Streisand film I've ever seen including, "What's Up Doc", "The Owl and The Pussycat", "The Mirror Has Two Faces", "Nuts" and "Yentl".

Shrill. Is the word I can use to describe her filmography.

by Anonymousreply 73July 13, 2024 6:33 PM

And yet you manage to see them all. Says more about you.

by Anonymousreply 74July 13, 2024 6:41 PM

r73 =

That restaurant is horrible. Every mouthful is poison...and they give you such small portions!

by Anonymousreply 75July 13, 2024 6:47 PM

[quote] I'm surprised Patinkin even agreed to do the movie.

Are you kidding? This was a huge break for him. A large release movie, working with Streisand, the male lead. He probably would have done it for free.

If he had any brains, to this day, he should be saying, "It was one of the greatest experiences in my life."

by Anonymousreply 76July 13, 2024 7:01 PM

I’m sure he’s grateful for doing The Princess Bride, not this largely forgotten ego-trip,

by Anonymousreply 77July 13, 2024 7:05 PM

[quote]I’m sure he’s grateful for doing The Princess Bride, not this largely forgotten ego-trip,

Without Yentl, he may not have done The Princess Bride.

by Anonymousreply 78July 13, 2024 7:13 PM

Sure Babs

by Anonymousreply 79July 13, 2024 7:14 PM

I saw it when it came out. My dad had died the year before, so I found the first half of the movie touching. I never thought Streisand was passable even playing a youngish man. (I felt that way about Julie Andrews in Victor/Victoria). Watching it again on TCM, I was struck by how slow the whole thing felt and the design sort of Laura Ashley gives Ellenville a make-over. But there’s still a sweetness to it and I’m a sucker for Barbra doing a big number on a boat.

by Anonymousreply 80July 13, 2024 8:24 PM

I saw Yentl at the now defunct Ziegfeld movie theater on West 54th shortly after it opened. The audience was ecstatic, and I thought, good for you Babs. I liked it a lot in 1983. Today I like parts of it…can’t sit through the entire movie. As for the Mandy mishegoss, he may have been an asshole, but he was perfect in his role. Non-Jewish limited talent Richard Gere would have been a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 81July 13, 2024 8:33 PM

[quote].I'm surprised Patinkin even agreed to do the movie. . [quote].I’m sure he’s grateful for doing The Princess Bride, not this largely forgotten ego-trip, . YENTL was a box.-office smash, grossing $68 million on a $12 million budget.

Respectively, that's $211 million and $37 million, adjusted for inflation.

by Anonymousreply 82July 13, 2024 11:33 PM

[quote]I'm surprised Patinkin even agreed to do the movie. .

[quote]I’m sure he’s grateful for doing The Princess Bride, not this largely forgotten ego-trip, .

YENTL was a box.-office smash, grossing $68 million on a $12 million budget.

Respectively, that's $211 million and $37 million, adjusted for inflation.

by Anonymousreply 83July 13, 2024 11:35 PM

[quote]Barbra had made shitty remarks about Evita to the press when it opened on Broadway.

People forget how controversial EVITA was when it opened on Broadway.

It was picketed by Jews, who thought the musical was glamorizing fascists and Nazi sympathizers.

Thus, it was eviscerated by most NY critics.

But the show proved to be critic-proof and was a smash.

by Anonymousreply 84July 13, 2024 11:48 PM

^ political Babs was thinking of that instead of the ROLE. And the NY critics did not eviserate the show, R84. I’m old enough to remember.

by Anonymousreply 85July 14, 2024 12:03 AM

[quote]People forget how controversial EVITA was when it opened on Broadway.

I remember Stewart Klein reading some of the letters. There were some from people who had lived under the Perons who thought there shouldn’t be a Broadway musical “celebrating” them.

by Anonymousreply 86July 14, 2024 12:17 AM

[quote]I never wanted to do Evita. The producers took me to see it and I hated the show. Still those reports continued, that I was going to do the movie. Stop using me to sell the show, I told the producers. I don't even like the song ‘Don't Cry for Me, Argentina’ and I won't sing it.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 14, 2024 4:52 PM

Woes. Autocorrect and I’m high.. sorry.

R8

by Anonymousreply 88July 15, 2024 6:09 AM

She also said she hated Cabaret on Broadway. I'm guessing she was too young and self involved to really get it.

by Anonymousreply 89July 15, 2024 6:47 AM

Need a link for that, R89

by Anonymousreply 90July 15, 2024 1:29 PM

Darling linking to a book with over 900 pages and no index is not possible.

by Anonymousreply 91July 15, 2024 6:27 PM

Patti had issues with Streisand recording two of the songs from Sunset before the show even debuted and then ALW had the brass balls to play her versions over the phone message for people to order tickets. She felt her performance was being sabotaged before she even debuted in the West End.

I agree it was kind of a shitty thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 92July 15, 2024 6:39 PM

"I even turned down 'Cabaret' because I didn't like the play. Again, if I had known Bob Fosse was going to direct it, I would have said yes. I loved working with him for the brief time he was involved with 'Funny Girl.'"

by Anonymousreply 93July 15, 2024 6:46 PM

It probably did more for box office than Patti in the role!

by Anonymousreply 94July 20, 2024 4:07 PM

R94, Barbra, please.

by Anonymousreply 95July 21, 2024 12:06 AM

Shittle

by Anonymousreply 96July 21, 2024 12:13 AM

I have to laugh at Barbra saying she would not sing Don't Cry For Me, Argentina. It's practically the same song as Memory which she did record.

by Anonymousreply 97July 21, 2024 12:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!