Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tony Mordente is dead to me

Played A-Rab in the original Broadway production of West Side Story where he met his future wife Chita Rivera.

Went on to play Action in film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2024 2:20 PM

He was married to Valerie Harper

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2024 12:12 AM

No, Valerie Harper was married to Richard Schaal and Tony Cacciotti.

But there is a Valerie connection. Tony Mordente directed several episodes of Rhoda.

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2024 12:18 AM

Hereโ€™s an excellent book about the making of the 1961 movie as told by the dancers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2024 12:28 AM

He played Action not Arab. At least he did in the Movie.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2024 2:40 AM

"When I like somebody... when they trick me... I just wanna beat them up, and beat them up... till they're all beat up!" - Tony Mordente as Genero Planetta in ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐Ž๐ฎ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐‹๐ข๐ฆ๐ข๐ญ๐ฌ, 'The Invisibles' (1964). (approx 47:20)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2024 3:41 AM

There was already a thread about this a couple of days ago but it seems to have disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2024 3:41 AM

I met him backstage when I was a kid and he must have been in his 20s. I think it was after a Joffrey ballet performance of sorts. He said hello and I just stood there in awe.

This makes me sad. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2024 2:10 PM

R4 - quoting my own post: โ€œ Played A-Rab in the original Broadway production of West Side Story where he met his future wife Chita Rivera. Went on to play Action in film.โ€

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2024 2:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!