Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends: 1 W. 67th Street, NYC duplex co-op apartment $3.5M, formerly Mike Nichols'

In the 1917 Hotel des Artistes building with many duplex apartments designed as living/studio space for well-heeled artists and popular also with people in the entertainment industry.

[quote] The home of Reese Schonfeld [d.2020], the co-founder of CNN and the founder and first president of the Food Network and his wife, Patricia O’Gorman, a television executive, (who purchased it from director Mike Nichols and his novelist wife Annabel Davis-Goff.)

Itś a fairly typical floor plan for the building with a kitchen and three reception rooms on the main level and three bedrooms above. The Living Room and double height Great Room/Library face north for artist's light and are the highlights of the space. The main stair leads up from the Living Room, a secondary stair from the Kitchen -- an arrangement that allows privacy for the bedrooms.

The double height space is terrific and the adjacent entry hall and reception room with their panelled wainscoting are very nice as well. There are some quirks of the artist duplex plan: the rooms are not large in area, there are only two bathrooms, both upstairs;and the low ceilinged rooms have some oddly horizontal windows. Still, I love these plans with one very tall room (in fact just 16' high), so a very scant two stories in height,) The plan provides a lot of variety of spaces in just about 1000 square feet. There's not much to be done about any of those things, though the kitchen could do with some better finishes and a big work table in the center.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2024 5:24 AM

I mean, I could make it work if I had to.

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2024 10:20 PM

Whats with the red sofas? Otherwise no complaints.

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2024 10:31 PM

Main entrance into the dining room? Master bedroom shares a bath with adjoining bedroom?

But I guess you can't ask for much when the place is going for $3.5 million in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2024 10:59 PM

Isn't The Agency Mauricio Umansky's outfit?

by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2024 11:06 PM

The double height room is impressive, but most buyers would want a first floor powder room. That collection of images implies that the kitchen is more like merely a space with an oven set in the corner, but the actual kitchen might be more complete.

Window unit air conditioner in bedroom window? No, no. Also, master bath looks “m’eh” and shared with secondary bedroom. The child’s bedroom bath looks like it has really cool original plumbing.

by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2024 11:27 PM

That sandstone-tiled bathroom is dated and dumpy, and the wood panels in that bathroom look like they were in a flood.

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2024 11:33 PM

You're gonna need more Lemon Pledge.

by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2024 11:43 PM

I love everything about it except the kitchen. Is it really that small and awkward as they show in the photo?

The co-op location and the natural light however is easily among the best in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2024 12:11 AM

The staging makes me laugh. Yes, we have a large red empty planter in the foyer. And a tiny wooden rocking chair in the living room. And no coffee table or television.

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2024 12:24 AM

Monthly Maintenance Fees: $6,504

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2024 12:38 AM

It’s a co-op. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2024 12:41 AM

[quote]Window unit air conditioner in bedroom window? No, no.

The description notes that you could add central a/c 'with board approval.' No indication whether that means many others have done the same and it's a routinely approved request, or that 'with board approval' you could also keep a pony in the double height room and get the monthly fees waived as well.

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2024 12:49 AM

The staging is so bad, it's distracting.

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2024 1:03 AM

R10 Even if that were annual fees that would be too high. Imagine paying over $70K in maintenance fees each year.

by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2024 1:25 AM

Needs a bathroom or powder room on bottom floor. Primary bedroom needs its own bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 15June 17, 2024 1:28 AM

Jackie O, Diane Sawyer,Carly Simon all thought Mike Nichols was the ultimate dream man. This for a guy who was bisexual,had several mental breakdows,cokehead and had to glue his wig and eyebrows on every morning. Alopecia made his pasty white body totally hairless. Powder with an Oscar. Jewish, so he must have had a huge schlong?. Go figure .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 17, 2024 1:35 AM

I have to stop opening these threads. I have to turn sideways just to be able to enter my kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 17June 17, 2024 2:27 AM

DataLounge Logistics:

Dahvide has eaten butter fish in the kitchen and feels a tidal wave of foam leaking, leaking (so wet) as he cowboy walks to ANY bathroom. Both bathrooms are on the second floor.

Do we steer Dahvide up the servant staircase, through the secondary bedroom to its ensuite bathroom?

OR do we allow him to crab walk through the double-height living room, through the dining area, and up the carpeted stairway to that bathroom shared by the primary bedroom as well as the small abused Anne Frank bedroom?

by Anonymousreply 18June 17, 2024 2:45 AM

I love it. Great price. Except for the monthly fees. They're ripping people off. Big time.

by Anonymousreply 19June 17, 2024 3:08 AM

So depressing.

by Anonymousreply 20June 17, 2024 3:16 AM

According to Griffin Dunne's new memoir, he was Carrie Fisher's roommate for 2 years in that building. Then he left for the LES.

by Anonymousreply 21June 17, 2024 5:13 AM

I hate cleaning normal windows let alone two story ones.

by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2024 5:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!