Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Getting Rid of Anna Wintour

What will end her tenure at Vogue? Death? Will she ever voluntarily retire? Who would have the courage to tell her it is over, you must step down?

The magazine, far from being superb under her leadership, is crushingly banal. Her taste is so pedestrian, all just looks to wear to a corporate office. There is so little beauty and excitement in the pages. The writing is so over-compressed it is like AI writing. I have tried many times to read an article and simply cannot so it. I see no art in its pages. There was great excitement in the pages of Vreeland’s pages. Even today’s GQ has many interesting articles on a whole range of subjects that haven’t been dumbed down to appear in a fashion magazine. Esquire has some superb, witty writing.

by Anonymousreply 62August 16, 2024 6:31 PM

She should have been given the heave-ho after putting the vulgar Kim Kardashian on the cover.

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2024 6:16 PM

She’s one of those people who hold onto a position with the knowledge and information that they’ve learned over the years about others at the company and in the industry. Essentially silent blackmail.

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2024 6:19 PM

She'll age out. She's a corporate titan with a.nkce British pedigree more than she is a fashion titan.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2024 6:20 PM

Heave ho.

by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2024 6:20 PM

OP - Tim Gunn

by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2024 6:25 PM

Unfortunately, she’ll get the luxury of retiring when she’s damn well good and ready. Carine Roitfeld was the natural choice as her successor years ago, but at 69 she’s probably looking toward retirement as well.

I remember several years ago, when Anna’s retirement seemed imminent, Sarah Jessica Parker was being floated as her replacement. But that ship has sailed and it seems as though Condé Nast would be back at square one when Anna departs.

One thing is for sure: Anna will have the luxury of hand-picking her successor. Edward Enniful (former editor of British Vogue) showed he’s ready and willing, but Anna seems to be forcing him to wait backstage as a global ambassador for Vogue. I wouldn’t put it past her to push someone else as her replacement even though Edward is dutifully playing the game.

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2024 6:32 PM

I'm not sure if Wintour holds dual American and UK citizenship, but it was reported that if Hillary would have won in 2016, Wintour would have been a shoo-in as US Ambassador to the UK.

That would've hastened her exit from Vogue. Ethically I don't think you could hold both jobs.

by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2024 7:00 PM

I think eventually it'll be revealed that ana wintor is really some sort of hologram generated by a Synergy like computer.

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2024 7:01 PM

OP = JLo.

by Anonymousreply 9June 16, 2024 7:07 PM

Enninful was devastated, (and rightfully so, imho) when Wintour usurped his chair next to Queen Elizabeth II when she appeared at a fashion show.

He fully expected the prime seat next to Her Majesty and Wintour maneuvered it somehow that she was there. I suppose she could have been upfront about it and said to him "I'm sitting next to Q E II".

But, iirc, correctly Enninful felt manipulated by Wintour over the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 10June 16, 2024 7:10 PM

Ad buys and consumers vote with their pocketbooks and clicks.

by Anonymousreply 11June 16, 2024 7:13 PM

Nobody is THAT great at their job that no one else can do it. I'm tired of seeing her sour puss face and her gentle threatening of anyone in the fashion industry.

She's a nepo baby also.

by Anonymousreply 12June 16, 2024 7:15 PM

[quote]She’s one of those people who hold onto a position with the knowledge and information that they’ve learned over the years about others at the company and in the industry. Essentially silent blackmail.

Or they have "The List."

by Anonymousreply 13June 16, 2024 7:18 PM

American Vogue has been terrible for a while. Anna is definitely out of touch at this point and she can barely reach millennials let alone Gen Z.

by Anonymousreply 14June 16, 2024 7:19 PM

R7 Wintour’s mother was an American so she’s a dual citizen—and a big democratic fundraiser.

by Anonymousreply 15June 16, 2024 7:22 PM

British Vogue is also superior to American Vogue. Anna is definitely spiteful. British Vogue is way more in touch with the youth.

by Anonymousreply 16June 16, 2024 7:29 PM

She's a goblin. How else could she so fugly and bereft of style have a stranglehold on the major fashion publication and industry at large for so long. She's an agent of the Dark Lord and drinks the blood of babies.

by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2024 7:29 PM

During the last year of my Vogue subscription, the first thing I would look at was the Letters section to find the fawning, overly flattering letter to Vogue about Vogue. Just praising the magazine to high heaven. It was nothing specific, just a general love letter and it was always there. This was well into its suckitude, about 15 or so years ago. Why Benita Carmichael of Hot Springs, Arkansas, I don't believe you're a real person!

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2024 8:15 PM

How can a woman whose had the same hairstyle for the past 50 years be the arbiter of seasonal fashion?

by Anonymousreply 19June 16, 2024 8:44 PM

Wintour thinks fur is the epitome of elegance..

Out of touch indeed.

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2024 8:48 PM

R20 well, same wig, to be fair.

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2024 8:48 PM

When Wintour goes, high-end fashion will take another hit. She's really from another era where such things were important.

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2024 8:57 PM

What’s fashion, precious? Eh? What’s fashion?

by Anonymousreply 23June 16, 2024 11:22 PM

Op doesn’t get that she’s in charge of all the magazines , not just Vogue..

by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2024 11:47 PM

Here's the thing though - I don't think anyone gives a FUCK about Vogue or fashion magazines anymore, do they?

It seemed to peak in the 80's and 90s. Now everyone finds their own style online and don't give a fuck what is being shown at the shows.

It's become so predictable and 'done'.

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2024 12:59 AM

[quote] Here's the thing though - I don't think anyone gives a FUCK about Vogue or fashion magazines anymore, do they?

This. I don’t know anyone that cares about these magazines online or in print.

Not sure how they make any money for Condé Nast.

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2024 1:05 AM

That’s Fashion Gollum’s job: keeping these zombie publications alive somehow. She appears to be good at it.

by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2024 1:07 AM

Younger people buy LVMH, Kering, Chanel and other luxury brands far more than previous generations. It's available at Nordstrom now.

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2024 5:37 AM

[quote]it was reported that if Hillary would have won in 2016, Wintour would have been a shoo-in as US Ambassador to the UK.

Wow. Finally, a good reason to have voted for Trump!

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2024 7:08 AM

Unless she is a majority shareholder or owns the company, she wont get to choose her successor.

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2024 7:31 AM

Her successor will be Al Gorithm.

by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2024 8:41 AM

I’m available!!!

by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2024 8:45 AM

He was very naive then, r10. US Vogue *always* trumps Britsh Vogue. That's why Anna didn't tell him. She shouldn't have needed to. What did he expect would happen with all the photographers in attendance?

by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2024 12:03 PM

US Vogue hasn't been interesting since 1999. To the glue factory for this one.

by Anonymousreply 34June 17, 2024 12:06 PM

Unfortunately, that doesn't matter, r34. The US edition has higher numbers.

by Anonymousreply 35June 17, 2024 12:32 PM

Enninful Is no longer at British Vogue. The rumor was he was due to replace Wintour at the US edition but she’s still there and he’s ?

by Anonymousreply 36June 17, 2024 4:24 PM

It's not a meaningful publication. It's worthless. She's the queen bee of an empty magazine.

But self-described "tastemakers" still have legacy subscriptions, mainly to keep on their coffee table when the photographers from Architectural Digest come by to document their taste.

by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2024 4:31 PM

Let's not forget that by Vivienne's age St. Angie was already living with a boyfriend for well over a year under her mother's roof.

by Anonymousreply 38June 17, 2024 7:36 PM

Vogue needs to be free of the British. It's a bigger world out there than Central St. Giles.

by Anonymousreply 39June 17, 2024 8:13 PM

Saint Martins, rather.

by Anonymousreply 40June 17, 2024 8:14 PM

Without her, how will I know which belt to pick?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 17, 2024 8:20 PM

Cerulean Blue 'stuff'

by Anonymousreply 42June 17, 2024 8:39 PM

She is rather Trump-esque in her annoying ubiquity and ageless shit haircut.

by Anonymousreply 43June 17, 2024 8:44 PM

I sat directly behind her at the movies. The sunglasses came off only after the lights went down and the previews had started. I could see the tags on her sweater-shirt.

by Anonymousreply 44June 17, 2024 9:06 PM

...also she ate some Raisinsets that had fallen on the floor and kept slurping on her soda (Large) long after there was anything left in the cup...

by Anonymousreply 45June 17, 2024 10:19 PM

I swept up the dust from her withered hindquarters gladly!

by Anonymousreply 46June 17, 2024 10:22 PM

[quote] I swept up the dust from her withered hindquarters gladly!

Yes, it’s as dry as the Sahara down there. Since her old buddy and friend Barbara Walters is dead and can’t, somebody needs to step in and send her some of Barbara’s favorite potion - Astroglide. It can work wonders to rejuvenate an old dried up and withered cunt.

by Anonymousreply 47June 17, 2024 11:08 PM

Does Anna fuck?

by Anonymousreply 48June 17, 2024 11:10 PM

Her daughter lives on my block—so yes, once or twice (she also has a son).

by Anonymousreply 49June 18, 2024 3:58 AM

Vogue and/or Conde Nast will probably collapse when Anna goes.

by Anonymousreply 50June 18, 2024 3:59 AM

I meant NOW, R49. Somebody point me to the timeline where DL doesn’t endlessly kiss Wintour’s ass please.

by Anonymousreply 51June 18, 2024 12:07 PM

US Vogue got the exclusive access to the Bennifer 2.0 wedding.

Wintour made JLo a Met Gala chair.

The Kanye/Kardashian covers.

Anna is no Liz Tilberis.

by Anonymousreply 52June 18, 2024 12:26 PM

Remember when some mousy little dame wrote a whole book/movie about working for this maniac? And all the personal sacrifices she made to keep her satisfied?

The book said more about the idiot intern than it did about the cunt who ran the magazine.

by Anonymousreply 53June 18, 2024 3:01 PM

I stress-ate myself to death, wondering about the answer to this question.

by Anonymousreply 54June 18, 2024 3:54 PM

Thank you, OP. So true.

Fashion is a business, of course, but, as with everything today, technology and social media and the overwhelming need for everyone scrounging for a buck to try to keep above the torrent of marketing today, the industry yields to the loud, simple, stupid, correctness-without-real-equity, too-quick, celebrity-infesting patterns that bring everything down.

Wintour has been an enormous success, on her own terms.

On my terms she is a practicing Philistine who ought to know better but doesn't care, and she's done nothing for fashion in the last 30 years except feather her own pageboy cut and preen. And then there's the Met Gala, an embarrassing, dishonest, quite disgusting parade of ego and cluelessness. At least Capote had the decency to do only one "ball" for his legacy. The interchangeable greased-up mannequins displaying bad clothing unconnected with the purported theme is nothing but a pack of kids off the street invited to wear Mommy's leavings in the attic or rags a friend tied together to show tit gape.

by Anonymousreply 55June 18, 2024 4:06 PM

That Met atrocity has raised a few hundred million dollars for the museum. They’re cool with it.

by Anonymousreply 56June 18, 2024 4:11 PM

R45's post made me think of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 18, 2024 5:46 PM

I came across an Instagram account called Ladies of Madison Ave which is quite watchable. Most NYC people at soirées, dinners, openings, etc. Social people, not celebrities although there are a few who are both. One reoccurring comment: these people are so much better dressed than those at the Met Gala.

by Anonymousreply 58June 18, 2024 8:39 PM

I know just the woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 18, 2024 8:44 PM

How does one banish the undead?

by Anonymousreply 60June 18, 2024 8:44 PM

What is former French Vogue editor Joan Juliet Buck up to these days? Been there, done that? At least she can tell an entertaining story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 16, 2024 6:24 PM

Fashion magazines seem archaic now.

by Anonymousreply 62August 16, 2024 6:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!