Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Lovers & Other Strangers" (1970)

On another forum, someone mentioned they had rented the DVD of 'Lovers and Other Strangers' from 1970, which starred Bea Arthur, Cloris Leachman, Diane Keaton, Bonnie Bedelia , Gig Young, Michael Brandon, Anne Meara and many others. Said it was a 'must see' film , which held up after more than 50 years.

I tried watching it today on a streaming channel, and started to fall asleep 40 minutes into it. I didn't laugh once - just a small chuckle here and there. I can't believe this was one of the top hits of 1970. I had a hard time accepting Meara as Leachman's daughter when there is only three years age difference between them.

Anyone else see this movie ? Thoughts - does it hold up as a 'classic' for anyone these days ?

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2024 3:05 AM

Bob Dishy aka "Mister Terrific" plays the groom

Bea and Diane have a great scene towards the end sitting together at the wedding banquet.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2024 6:03 PM

Richard Castellano was nominated for an Oscar for this movie is pretty funny when you think about it.

by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2024 6:11 PM

I found Castellano to be more of a 'caricature' rather than a character.

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2024 7:18 PM

R3 He was fine in The Godfather but attempts to make him a TV star were pretty sad.

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2024 8:27 PM

Dishy played a friend of the groom, who was played by Michael Brandon. It was based on was a series of 4 related one-act plays, and the movie sometimes seems like linked episodes of "Love American Style" (and a long way from any kind of "classic"). I like Bea Arthur in pretty much anything, and she's funny playing Italian years before the Golden Girls (and she shares a scene with Conrad Bain years before Maude). Gig Young looked awful, and it is hard to believe Castellano was only 36 when it was filmed. The Anne Meara-Harry Guardino scenes were the worst, lots of lame "fag/faggy/butch" jokes and even lamer mugging. Anthony Holland, who played the photographer, committed suicide in 1988 when he was very sick with AIDs. Marian Hailey, as a bridesmaid, sounds exactly like Joan Hackett. The Carpenters had a big hit with "For All We Know," which won an Academy Award for Best Song.

by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2024 2:54 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2024 3:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!