Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

SS United States Must VACATE

The SS United States, a 1,000-foot vessel that still holds the transatlantic speed record it broke in 1952, must leave its South Philadelphia berth of more than a decade by Sept. 12, said a federal judge Friday.

The decision by U.S. District Judge Anita B. Brody put an end to a years-old rent dispute that culminated in a two-day January bench trial between the SS United States Conservancy, a steward of the ship, and its Pier 82 landlord, Penn Warehousing.

Tensions came to a boil in August 2021, when Penn Warehousing doubled its daily dockage fee for what was once known as the “Queen of the Seas” to $1,700, an increase the conservancy refused to accept, continuing to pay its previous rate, set in 2011. Penn Warehousing terminated the lease in March 2022 with a written notice, then took the conservancy to court, with the conservancy filing a counterclaim.

During the trial, attorneys for both sides tried to bend the vagueness of the original berthing agreement in their favor. Brody, who’d encouraged the parties to settle instead of leaving it up to her, ultimately gave each side a partial victory in her decision.

She took note of two key omissions in the original berthing agreement. There were no provisions for any change in the “lay up dockage fee” or provisions on how either party could end the relationship save for the vessel’s departure. Penn Warehousing’s demand for increased dockage fees with a 14-days notice “finds no support in the Berthing Agreement or contract law,” she wrote, and the conservancy’s failure to pay the new rate did not amount to a breach of the 2011 agreement or entitle its landlord to damages.

Still, Brody wrote that under Pennsylvania contract law, the berthing agreement is terminable at will with reasonable notice, which Penn Warehousing had issued in March 2022.

Susan Gibbs, conservancy president and granddaughter of the ship’s designer, said in a statement that the conservancy “was vindicated in not being compelled to pay a large sum of back rent.” Yet she lamented the ticking clock the conservancy is now under.

“The judge’s decision gives us a very limited window to find a new home for the SS United States and raise the resources necessary to move the ship and keep her safe,” she wrote.

The decision gives the conservancy about 90 days to find a new home. In addition to finding a location, Gibbs said the conservancy would need funds for insurance, tugs, surveys, and dock preparations for a move.

Penn Warehousing takes no joy in the victory, attorney Craig Mills said in an emailed statement.

“The best hope of everyone involved was that the Conservancy could successfully repurpose the ship,” he said. “But after decades of decay and delay, it is time to acknowledge the unavoidable and return Pier 82 to productive commercial service.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 5, 2024 11:16 PM

The boundaries have been stated

by Anonymousreply 1June 14, 2024 11:33 PM

At this point, the only hope would be a nostalgic billionaire keeping it for themselves. Besides that, off to scrap yard because if you want nostalgia, there are brand new ships offering old world charms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 14, 2024 11:39 PM

The navy yard in Philadelphia is quite beautiful. It’s a nice tourist destination now. They actually close the gates to it at night. It’s like a small little town. It’s sad that the ship will no longer be there. It adds to the ambiance.

by Anonymousreply 3June 14, 2024 11:47 PM

It's a beautiful ship and the last real ocean liner made. Too bad no one wants to step up and fully restore it.

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2024 2:10 AM

My mom sailed to Europe (and back) on that ship in 1955, her last jaunt as a single gal before marrying my dad. She said it was the best 7 weeks of her life.

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2024 2:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2024 2:33 AM

I stayed on the Queen Mary in Long Beach some years ago. I would never take a cruise, but it was great as a hotel.

They could do that with this ship as well.

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2024 2:35 AM

R7 there’s no interior left. They gutted it.

by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2024 2:39 AM

Fixing it up is essentially a Ship of Theseus problem.

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2024 3:08 AM

They should make it into a restaurant like the old QEII, I think.

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2024 3:21 AM

The ship was stripped of all asbestos and gutted over a decade ago. They should tow it off the Florida Keys and sink it as an artificial reef. Would make an impressive dive site.

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2024 5:04 AM

One of the factors stopping the full restoration of that ship is that the interiors were never beautiful. The United States was built to double as a troop ship and they made everything in the interior fire proof. When you look at old pictures of common areas, it's very stripped down and utilitarian. It's not a aesthetic treasure like the Art Deco Queen Mary.

I have to agree, r11. If preservation and restoration is financially impossible, I'd rather they turn it into an artificial reef than scrap it.

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2024 5:54 AM

Early on it seemed hopeful as hotel/conference ctr but ain’t happening. Have been following story for years but it seems artificial reef or scrap is inevitable-no billionaire in shining armor is coming. RIP SS United States

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2024 7:51 AM

[quote]her last jaunt as a single gal before marrying my dad. She said it was the best 7 weeks of her life.

What an insult to your dad.

by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2024 7:57 AM

It could use an audience stomping makeover

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2024 12:42 PM

It was a troop ship that could be converted to a ocean liner in 48 hours.

by Anonymousreply 16June 15, 2024 3:12 PM

That's a great idea, R11!

by Anonymousreply 17June 15, 2024 7:04 PM

I wonder if it'll sink under tow like Queen Elizabeth did.

by Anonymousreply 18June 17, 2024 12:42 AM

^^^^ Her Majesty died in bed as far as I know. Have you heard something different? 🤔

by Anonymousreply 19June 17, 2024 11:38 PM

A navy yard attraction with no ship. Stupid. The city should give it a pass as it brings money and adds to the attraction for all the restaurants and medical facilities there. It’s a beautiful location.

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2024 12:43 AM

It would cost at least 200 Million to restore it. Just scrap it. Denial is strong in Philly.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2024 12:46 AM

PHILADELPHIA Magazine has stated its boundaries.

I agree. The ship is seventy two years old. No one has done or been able to do anything about it. I feel for Gibbs’ granddaughter; she wants to preserve her family legacy and all of that. But the window for resurrection has passed. An artificial reef seems like a great idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2024 1:26 PM

R22 From what I understand, the conservancy doesn’t even have enough funds to sink it as a reef. It most likely will have to be scrapped.

by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2024 1:28 PM

[quote] still holds the transatlantic speed record it broke in 1952

But I hold the speed record for getting from the top of the Atlantic to the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2024 1:32 PM

R22 Great option. The ship has been totally gutted. It's asbestos, oil and other toxic substances were removed years ago. It is "sink ready". With it's size,huge compartments and uncluttered expansive decks the S.S. United States Marine Reef Park will make a magnificent dive site off the Florida Keys or U.S.V.I. and provide a needed home for marine life. Do it.

by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2024 1:43 PM

Too bad the DoD/DHS didn’t have the vision years ago to convert her into a humanitarian ship to be used to provide relief to areas that suffer from extreme disasters like hurricanes and earthquakes. Loaded with supplies and medical personnel from the Armed Forces or Surgeon General. I thought about this when we had the earthquake and tsunami in Haiti. A shame to let the ship waste away. They had opportunities to sell her to foreign investors who saw her value as a cruise ship, but the government said no because her machinery was allegedly classified. I think NCL was interested but went with the old FRANCE when their offer was rejected. She was then turned into the fabulous NORWAY and had a fruitful career as a mega cruise ship. So many missed opportunities for the Big U.

by Anonymousreply 26June 26, 2024 2:07 PM

[quote]I think NCL was interested but went with the old FRANCE when their offer was rejected. She was then turned into the fabulous NORWAY and had a fruitful career as a mega cruise ship. So many missed opportunities for the Big U.

NCL had two chances. They were refused in the 70s, but then actually did acquire her in 2003 when they took over Project America from American Classic Voyages when it went bankrupt. But the idea of refitting it was really just a pipe dream.

They need to let it go. Raise the funds to sink her off the Keys and make a reef. It's a far more noble end than being scrapped in Turkey.

by Anonymousreply 27June 26, 2024 2:43 PM

Most Philadelphians won’t be able to find IKEA if it goes away . .

by Anonymousreply 28June 26, 2024 2:50 PM

[quote]Most Philadelphians won’t be able to find IKEA if it goes away . .

Great. More votes for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 29June 26, 2024 2:52 PM

as a young galyling, I was on the SS United States' final transatlantic voyage (Southampton - NYC) in July of 1969. For reasons I did not yet understand I kept playing Jill Hayworth singing "Cabaret" on the jukebox. Even I could tell the ship was pretty run down at that point.

by Anonymousreply 30June 26, 2024 6:58 PM

American merchant seamen are amongst the highest paid in the world; that cuts into profits and the US Lines were dependent on government funding. Most American liners were allowed to operate for no more than 25 years, then they’d either be put up for sale or sold to foreign interests. This is why the PRIDE OF AMERICA struggles so much. Overpaid American crews don’t make good servants.

by Anonymousreply 31June 26, 2024 7:19 PM

cabaret is a good enough reason not to scrap it

by Anonymousreply 32June 26, 2024 7:20 PM

No money is coming.Just scrap it and pay off debts. Ms. Gibbs-build a charming model/do a one woman show.

by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2024 7:12 PM

R3: “ The navy yard in Philadelphia is quite beautiful. It’s a nice tourist destination now. They actually close the gates to it at night. It’s like a small little town. It’s sad that the ship will no longer be there. It adds to the ambiance.“

The boat is not in navy yard. It’s off Columbus Boulevard near the shopping center with the Home Depot

by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2024 7:32 PM

It’s the perfect analogy for US citizens currently- the safekeepers don’t spend a dime on improving status quo of the vessel for 70 years, act surprised when the rent is doubled, and rather than being prudent or sensible and a arranging a sensible solution over all this time to right it, insist on applying yesteryear’s obsolete rules and spending a boatload of money on lawyers to ferret out that elusive loophole that saves the day-

then let a court decide the fate and have to spend more time shuffling around old deterius that should’ve been retired years ago!

by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2024 8:35 PM

Scrap it. I’m tired of seeing it when I go to work.

by Anonymousreply 36July 21, 2024 11:54 PM

Rename it the SS President Biden and sink it.

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2024 12:43 AM

At last, a possible solution!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 24, 2024 3:12 PM

Convert it into an affordable condo-building with $230 monthly fees, then slap each owner with a $2.4 M assessment.

by Anonymousreply 39July 24, 2024 3:17 PM

R3 do you live in Philly? If so, please lay down the meth pipe. The Navy Yard is a nasty superfund cleanup dump.

by Anonymousreply 40July 24, 2024 3:19 PM

All of those useless ships there are rusting out when they have the potential to alleviate the homeless problem.

by Anonymousreply 41July 24, 2024 6:50 PM

Sink it in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 42July 25, 2024 12:39 AM

[quote]The Navy Yard is a nasty superfund cleanup dump.

I'm in Philly. Not sure what you're thinking of but the Navy Yard is a gated community with hospitals and restaurants. It's beautiful. It's only open to the public at certain times of the day.

by Anonymousreply 43July 25, 2024 1:19 AM

[quote]The navy yard in Philadelphia is quite beautiful. It’s a nice tourist destination now. They actually close the gates to it at night. It’s like a small little town. It’s sad that the ship will no longer be there. It adds to the ambiance.

The USS United States is at in The Navy Yard, dumbass. It is about three miles upriver in a warehouse area, across the road from the PPA, IKEA, and Lowe's.

by Anonymousreply 44July 25, 2024 1:34 AM

Rather, it is NOT at The Navy Yard.

by Anonymousreply 45July 25, 2024 1:35 AM

It’s just a shell-nothing there. Scrap it Gibbs. I finally unsubscribed getting those email-updates because it’s just false hope and no one’s going to save it.

by Anonymousreply 46July 25, 2024 4:23 AM

Is Susan Gibbs a grifter?

by Anonymousreply 47July 25, 2024 12:11 PM

No she’s great but we all have to let go sometime.

by Anonymousreply 48July 25, 2024 2:26 PM

Her father was cute when he was young-but then so was I.

by Anonymousreply 49July 25, 2024 2:27 PM

Are there any cruising spots near the area? Asking for a friend…

by Anonymousreply 50July 28, 2024 10:55 PM

It looks like shit and obviously no one wants it.

Scrap it.

by Anonymousreply 51July 28, 2024 11:00 PM

Okaloosa County has signed an agreement to purchase the SS United States, the historic ocean liner that holds the record for the fastest Atlantic crossing, with plans to create the world’s largest artificial reef off the coast of Destin-Fort Walton Beach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 30, 2024 8:12 PM

Based on the summary of proposal, this is a fair and proper ending for the old dame. An economic development project that might actually generate good money over the long term.

by Anonymousreply 53August 30, 2024 8:18 PM

Is the old tub seaworthy enough to sail down the east coast of the US, then up the Gulf coast to the Florida panhandle?

by Anonymousreply 54August 30, 2024 8:34 PM

I had a model of the SS UNITED STATES it took forever to paint and glue together. I eventually sunk it in the horse trough on the farm I lived on and it took forever to sink. I finally had to put firecrackers in it to blow it up.

by Anonymousreply 55August 30, 2024 8:39 PM

This story needed to end. The Conservatory must be feeling pretty deflated right now. All of those years wasted.

by Anonymousreply 56August 30, 2024 8:48 PM

[quote]Okaloosa County has signed an agreement to purchase the SS United States, the historic ocean liner that holds the record for the fastest Atlantic crossing, with plans to create the world’s largest artificial reef off the coast of Destin-Fort Walton Beach.

That's good. People will still be able to enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 57August 30, 2024 8:49 PM

[quote] It looks like shit and obviously no one wants it.

But enough about you.

by Anonymousreply 58August 30, 2024 9:15 PM

They should have given up in the eighties...didn't they refuse NCL back in the 80s and they decided to buy the FRANCE instead, turning it into the NORWAY? A ship that I regret never getting the chance to sail...frankly I got tired of Susan Gibbs stringing people along like she did, along with other people in the Conservancy.

by Anonymousreply 59August 30, 2024 10:33 PM

[quote] didn't they refuse NCL back

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 60August 31, 2024 3:56 AM

Maybe it can rest next to Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 61September 2, 2024 10:07 PM

Don’t quit your day job (at McDonalds), r61.

by Anonymousreply 62September 2, 2024 10:09 PM

It’s about time.

by Anonymousreply 63September 5, 2024 11:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!