Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why was Gunsmoke so popular?

It started in the 50's and somehow managed to stay on the air until 1974 with good ratings even then.

I've never watched Westerns. They were boring to me when I was a kid.

We're watching an episode now with my in-laws visiting. Miss Kitty is basically saying "I run a whorehouse and all the girls in town are whores". It's a much more interesting show than I expected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 16, 2024 1:27 AM

I love the old westerns. The Big Valley is by far the best but they're all pretty good. Miss Kitty was a true feminist. Probably the first one on TV. She didn't scream and dye her hair purple. She pulled out a shotgun from behind the bar. In fact, the best episodes were Kitty centric. The two that really stand out are when one of Kitty's girls dies in childbirth. Kitty takes on the baby temporarily. Hating it at the start. Then falls deeply in love with the baby. She then gives it up knowing a young, childless couple, who desperately want the baby, will give it a better home.

The next one is probably the best episode of any western. When Bette Davis holds Kitty hostage. Amanda more than holds her own with Bette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 14, 2024 10:11 PM

a compilation of bad ass kitty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 14, 2024 10:16 PM

There were a lot fewer entertainment options, and people in general were less demanding of television.

by Anonymousreply 3June 14, 2024 10:19 PM

This show was before my time. I remember being a tiny tike and seeing Alpo commercials with a guy from a Western show. Is this the one?

by Anonymousreply 4June 14, 2024 10:19 PM

Didn’t they try to back off from Kitty’s “profession” as the show went on? She just became a regular saloon proprietor.

by Anonymousreply 5June 14, 2024 10:23 PM

Amanda Blake ("Miss Kitty") died from AIDS. Makes you wonder how much Brokebacking was going on backstage.

by Anonymousreply 6June 14, 2024 10:24 PM

R4 Yes. That was James Arness, who played Matt Dillon.

I've never liked westerns, either. But I started watching Gunsmoke on Paramount+, and it's a really good show. The acting and writing are all above par, and it's as good as Perry Mason for catching stars before they were famous.

by Anonymousreply 7June 14, 2024 11:44 PM

I despise westerns, so I can't give you a personal perspective. But I do know that among the plethora of them that dominated movies and TV during the 1950s and 60s, Gunsmoke had the reputation of the western for thinking people. The writing was high quality and they used the genre to camouflage more sophisticated stories and issues, the way Star Trek addressed contemporary issues through the sci-fi filter.

by Anonymousreply 8June 14, 2024 11:55 PM

[quote]R4: This show was before my time. I remember being a tiny tike and seeing Alpo commercials with a guy from a Western show. Is this the one?

[quote]R7: Yes. That was James Arness, who played Matt Dillon.

No. TMK, James Arness didn't do dog food commercials.

The Alpo commercials were done with Lorne Greene, star of Bonanza. He continued shilling for Alpo even past the demise of Bonanza, on up into the late 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 14, 2024 11:56 PM

[quote]R8: The writing was high quality and they used the genre to camouflage more sophisticated stories and issues, the way Star Trek addressed contemporary issues through the sci-fi filter.

Although you're describing 'Gunsmoke,' the basis upon which Gene Roddenberry sold 'Star Trek' to NBC was that it was to be a 'Wagon Train' to the Stars.' 'Wagon Train's shtick was having a different guest star each week, whose personal drama was illustrated, anthology-style, against the template of a Wagon Train consisting of a small core of regular cast members. And 'Star Trek' more or less does that, as sold.

Three or four years ago, when I discovered the pleasures of MeTV, I began watching a lot of the western series that I'd mostly ignored as a kid growing up. I gave 'Wagon Train' a fair try, but found I just couldn't stick with it. I took in pretty much all of 'The Rifleman' with Chuck Connors, 'Bonanza,' and 'Gunsmoke.' There were a few episodes here and there that I missed due to periodic interruptions in my shitty cable service. I'd already seen most of 'The Big Valley' in my teens (Lee Majors had been compelling eye-candy).

What I enjoy most about taking in these old series on MeTV is noting the various guest roles, stocked with familiar character actors. It's fun to note the convergences between different series episodes, with actors from other series with which I'm 𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 familiar: a given episode of, say, Perry Mason, might have in a single episode someone from 'Twilight Zone,' someone from 'Outer Limits,' from 'Star Trek,' and from 'Batman,' all at the same time. Over the past couple of weeks, for instance, there's been a 𝑙𝑜𝑡 of Susan Oliver in episodes of different series.

I enjoyed my stint watching 'Gunsmoke.' I highly recommend it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2024 12:25 AM

R1 that’s Bruce Dern

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2024 1:00 AM

R10 Gunsmoke will always be my favorite, but if you want to revisit some classic westerns, consider giving The High Chaparral, Laramie, Raw Hide, Wanted Dead or Alive, Have Gun, Will Travel and The Virginian a try.

None will disappoint

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2024 1:01 AM

Old cunts post-war needed to watch something relatable as they entered their dotage

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2024 1:03 AM

Miss Kitty was the main attraction for me. She made the show.

by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2024 1:05 AM

It just kills me that they spared the long in the tooth "Gunsmoke" at the expense of "Gilligan's Island"! Methinks history has made its judgment as to which is the most beloved show.

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2024 1:17 AM

It's right up there with the best: Lucy, Andy Griffith, and Perry Mason.

by Anonymousreply 16June 15, 2024 1:23 AM

R6 Aweful thing . Amanda Blake married a bi man.

by Anonymousreply 17June 15, 2024 1:26 AM

It was on so long. I remember it airing Monday nights back-to-back with Here’s Lucy on CBS in the early 1970s still.

by Anonymousreply 18June 15, 2024 3:09 AM

My dads favorite show mainly because he could doze off for 20min wake up and still know the plot.

by Anonymousreply 19June 15, 2024 5:06 AM

My Dad loved this one too r19.

And I have to say this show was head and antlers over the cop crap that replaced the old westerns in the late 1970s'.

My Dad liked to work Kojak dialogue into our daily life, horrifying my mother and embarrassing everyone within earshot.

by Anonymousreply 20June 15, 2024 10:57 AM

I was in a hospital waiting room not too long ago and they must have had a Gunsmoke marathon going, because I watched it for a couple of hours. I was amazed how well it held up after 60+ years

by Anonymousreply 21June 15, 2024 11:34 AM

All I know is my Grandma loved it (and all westerns, pretty much).

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2024 11:54 AM

Weird to think that the show bridged the gap from "I Love Lucy" to "All in the Family" -- that's a lot of social change occurring during it's run, and possibly why people stuck with the show: a sense of constancy.

by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2024 12:00 PM

Its, not it's. I'll oh dear myself, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 24June 15, 2024 12:01 PM

I am watching episodes of The Virginian presently if they have a guest star I like. Just saw one with Colleen Dewhurst. She always seemed to be cast as the fug spinster. It's hilarious that her love interest is Hugh O'Brian who plays it full gay. Next up is one with George C. Scott.

by Anonymousreply 25June 15, 2024 1:55 PM

^ Was the episode written by Tennessee Williams?

by Anonymousreply 26June 15, 2024 1:59 PM

Glad I wasn't a kid or adult back in the day when westerns dominated film and tv.

So boring.

I did like The Rifleman, however...for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 27June 15, 2024 2:12 PM

Is that a rifle in your pocket, or are you just very well hung?

by Anonymousreply 28June 15, 2024 2:14 PM

Wagon Train, The Rifleman, The Virginian, and Laramie are my jams.

Yesterday my sister and I watched 3 or 4 episodes of The Virginian, and they were pretty riveting. There was Bette Davis perpetuating a fraud; a young-ish George C. Scott as a pussified school teacher who is such a limp dick, the bad guy repeatedly calls him "Schoolmarm"); sweet Brandon de Wild as a sensitive child who runs away to join a mega-cattle drive; and the divine Colleen Dewhurst (George C. Scott's wife at the time) as a spinster school teacher who went buckwild for some primo Hugh O'Brian dick.

Laramie is a gay man's one-stop shop for John Smith's and Robert Fuller's tight pants-wearing, VPL-having, tasty tight asscakes-showing, beefcake. In fact, in the first 2 seasons the palpable chemistry of Smith and Fuller was so strong and obvious, in Season 3 producers introduced an orphan boy and widowed older woman (a LESBIAN Spring Byington, imagine that) to the main cast.

I have always loved character actors, and have a ball spotting my faves in random show episodes. James Gregory! Royal Dano! Lee J. Cobb! Dabbs Greer! Julie Adam's! Slimy Dan Duryea! Edgar Buchanan! Jocelyn Brando!! Kathleen Freeman! Vivi Janiss! Lee Van Cleef! Sexy Daddy Robert Webber! Lee Marvin! Mmmmmmm...L.Q. Jones! DILF-y Jim Davis!

So much fun.

by Anonymousreply 29June 15, 2024 2:44 PM

We went from Westerns to Star Trek, but it was always about exploring new frontiers

by Anonymousreply 30June 15, 2024 2:49 PM

Robert Fuller was BEYOND scorching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 15, 2024 4:12 PM

He aged into a hot daddy too. I love his eyebrows. How do you get those?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 15, 2024 4:16 PM

Julie looks concerned—or is she contemplating Randolph Mantooth’s dick?

by Anonymousreply 33June 15, 2024 4:28 PM

Nah, R33, she's just regretting her decision to break up with Dr. Brackett early in Season 1.

I know I would.

by Anonymousreply 34June 15, 2024 6:42 PM

Before he-man James Arness as Matt Dillion there was he-man William Conrad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 15, 2024 7:29 PM

I just watched the Bette Davis episode of The Virginian. My God her makeup and hair made her look like a clown.

by Anonymousreply 36June 16, 2024 1:02 AM

Her yellow teeth didn't help either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 16, 2024 1:06 AM

Bette looked really good in the Gunsmoke episode. Really toned down and severe.

by Anonymousreply 38June 16, 2024 1:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!