Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hairspray (2007)

On this Fun Friday, let's talk about the musical comedy Hairspray. Based on both the 2002 Broadway musical and John Waters 1988 film of the same name, the film follows pleasantly plump Tracy Turnblad as she conquers love, racism, and fame in early 1960's Baltimore.

Directed by Adam Shankman

Music by Marc Shaiman

Starring John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, Queen Latifa, Zac Efron, Amanda Bynes, James Marsden, Brittney Snow, Elijah Kelley, Allison Janney, Paul Dooley, Jerry Stiller, and introducing Nikki Blonsky as Tracy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 17, 2024 1:19 PM

Good Morning, Baltimore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 14, 2024 9:22 PM

The original film was some of John Waters' best work. The musical stage adaptation was wonderful. The filmed version of the musical was dreadful.

The young people seem to have glommed onto this version, so the original will probably fade into obscurity. They're missing out on the superior product.

by Anonymousreply 2June 14, 2024 9:29 PM

I fucked Adam Shankman once.

by Anonymousreply 3June 14, 2024 9:31 PM

I thought the remake and musical was awful because they missed John’s parody and satire and made it too literal and serious. The people who remade it didn’t understand the original.

by Anonymousreply 4June 14, 2024 9:37 PM

It’s like if they took “Polyester” and made it into a real drama.

by Anonymousreply 5June 14, 2024 9:37 PM

I loved Michelle Pfeiffer’s crabs scene on this,

by Anonymousreply 6June 14, 2024 9:45 PM

R2 is right, the 1988 film is much better. The 2007 version of Hairspray does stand well enough on its own virtues, in that its still a fairly good film, but John Waters 1988 original is a masterpiece

by Anonymousreply 7June 14, 2024 10:12 PM

John Travolta (nee Revolta) is the absolute worst part of the movie. Divine's interpretation of Edna was so wonderful. His transformation after visiting the Hefty Hideaway is a delight.

by Anonymousreply 8June 14, 2024 10:21 PM

Love Nikki Blonsky who played Tracy in the movie. Last I heard she was working as a cosmetologist on Long Island. And she's gay!!!

by Anonymousreply 9June 14, 2024 10:24 PM

Yeah, Travolta ruins the movie.

by Anonymousreply 10June 14, 2024 10:26 PM

[quote]I fucked Adam Shankman once.

Did he enjoy it?

by Anonymousreply 11June 14, 2024 10:29 PM

Loved this version

by Anonymousreply 12June 14, 2024 10:33 PM

The original is a perfect film. I saw the musical in NYC about a week before it opened. It remains one of the finest shows I’ve ever seen. It was sensational.

The movie of the musical is garbage. It’s absolute crap.

by Anonymousreply 13June 14, 2024 10:33 PM

[quote]The original is a perfect film.

Yes, it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 14, 2024 10:39 PM

Here is a thread about the original

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 14, 2024 11:43 PM

[quote]I fucked Adam Shankman once.

Once. For reasons that are well known to you.

by Anonymousreply 16June 14, 2024 11:56 PM

It was a lot of fun. I'm surprised Elijah Kelley (Seaweed) hasn't had a better career. I thought he was one of the best things about the movie.

by Anonymousreply 17June 14, 2024 11:56 PM

Michelle Pfeiffer is beautiful

by Anonymousreply 18June 15, 2024 12:02 AM

I want a Desperate Living Broadway musical.

Can you imagine the songs?

"Communist Daycare Center"

"Hey White Man (Don't Be Lookin' At My Tampax!)"

"Six Bucks (Hey You Are Rich)"

"Welcome To Mortville"

"Backwards Day Blues"

"I Want A WANG!!!"

"You Are Now The Proud Owner....of RABIES!"

"Welcome To Mortville (Reprise)"

by Anonymousreply 19June 15, 2024 12:09 AM

John Travolta’s horrible accent and unconvincing fat suit were awful. Christopher Walken was too damn old and creepy; Queen Latifa was bland and boring (Ruth Brown in the original was excellent); Amanda Bynes looked like she wandered on set, into hair and make-up, and thought she was filming another movie; Zac Efron, still green after High School Musical, looked lost; and the girl who played Little Inez was not cute and couldn’t dance. Nikki Blonsky, as Tracy, was good, but she was just too short, squat, and round. The only bright spots were James Marsden, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Elijah Kelley.

I love the original movie. Everyone is perfectly cast, and the low budget makes is grittier and edgier than the full-blown musical, which, I must admit, does have some fun dance numbers.

by Anonymousreply 20June 15, 2024 12:22 AM

The original had Sonny Bono and Pia Zadora! Try and top that!

by Anonymousreply 21June 15, 2024 12:24 AM

I refuse to watch this as I am the lesbian equivalent of John Waters. Not only is he 34 years older than me to the day, he was also an only child born prematurely to a family who loved him and raised him well. I wish I was trolling but I'm dead serious.

Does anyone know how to get in touch with him somehow? I've wanted to write him a letter.

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2024 3:19 AM

You can write to John in care of Atomic Books in Baltimore. They hold it for him until he drops in. Address at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2024 3:39 AM

That's awesome! Thank you r23!

by Anonymousreply 24June 15, 2024 1:25 PM

I agree about Little Inez. I don’t like how they changed the ending from the stage musical to her winning instead of Tracy because, as R20 pointed out, she wasn’t cute and couldn’t dance.

And “You’re Timeless to Me” is one of those Act Two numbers that plagues Broadway- the song that stops a show dead in its tracks. I’d rather they excised it and kept “Mama, I’m A Big Girl Now” in the main story.

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2024 1:27 AM

You can tell Michelle Pfeiffer is having a blast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2024 1:38 AM

Here too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2024 1:39 AM

I love all four — I think they’re all great in separate ways.

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2024 2:22 AM

Saw it multiple times opening week in New York, at the Ziegfeld, then New Jersey and Pa and I can attest Travolta got closing credit applause and huge laughs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2024 8:05 AM

I'm just glad the musical gives John Waters the cash hw deserves to live the life he wants. He's a treasure

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2024 8:34 AM

[quote] Amanda Bynes looked like she wandered on set, into hair and make-up, and thought she was filming another movie

Knowing Amanda Bynes, this is quite possibly what actually happened.

by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2024 10:17 AM

I've never seen a Millennial. This 2007 version came out when I was in High School and wanted to drop a load deep into Zac Efron's ass. So, I was 100% gonna watch this and I loved it. Michelle Pfeiffer was serving. The outfits were peak, early-60s. I adore those 1950/1960s dresses on women, so pretty. The wigs and hair serve. Music was solid. It's colorful and fun.

I love "Welcome to the 60s".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2024 11:21 AM

Funny how The Academy ignored Kathleen Turner's laugh out loud funny performance in "Serial Mom", and then ignored Hairsprays great costumes, production design and terrific new song because they were associated with John Waters. Now that they need money to support that lousy museum, they have honored John Waters complete with merch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2024 11:40 AM

We watched this movie as a family when it came out on DVD.

I remember my stepfather, a former teacher who was in high school in the early '60s, commented that no one wore backpacks back then, as portrayed in this musical.

He said that kids didn't begin doing that until the '70s.

But it did not become mainstream until the '80s.

And by the '90s, it was an industry.

by Anonymousreply 34June 17, 2024 12:02 PM

[quote]I remember my stepfather, a former teacher who was in high school in the early '60s,

Tracy Turnblad was a rebel.

by Anonymousreply 35June 17, 2024 1:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!