Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wise Guy: David Chase and the Sopranos documentary by Alex Gibney

Looking forward to this! I enjoy Gibney’s work. The History Of The Eagles had some very memorable DL threads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2024 12:36 AM

Uncle Jun’s looking great at 93.

by Anonymousreply 1June 14, 2024 11:31 AM

Edie Falco looks good de-butched.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 14, 2024 8:31 PM

I wonder when it will come to HBO. I’m watching The Sopranos right now, and watching The Talking Sopranos podcast as well.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2024 3:12 AM

[quote] Annabella Sciorra (Gloria Trillo, one of Tony’s mistresses): The actress mentioned how she learned after the fact that Chase wanted her for Dr. Melfi. Her agent at the time told the TV creator that the Jungle Fever actress wasn’t interested in TV. Turns out Sciorra was never given the note from Chase.

Huh? On Talking Sopranos, I recall her saying that she turned down (knew about the offer) the role of Melfi because she felt it was too old for her or something. I'm starting to think she's nutty.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2024 3:20 AM

[quote] Robert Iler, aka Tony Soprano’s son A.J., said it best Thursday night at Tribeca Festival’s 25th anniversary The Sopranos get-together: “Now my friends are going to shitty high school reunions and I’m going to cool stuff like this.”

He sounds like a douchebag and was one of the worst actors on the show.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2024 3:21 AM

R5 Yeah as he got older it kinda became apparent he wasn’t that talented of an actor. I don’t think I’ve seen him in anything else.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2024 3:25 AM

Such a fascinating series, I was completely hooked.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2024 3:40 AM

I miss James Gandolfini.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2024 4:24 AM

[quote] “Now my friends are going to shitty high school reunions and I’m going to cool stuff like this.”

He is the only free man on that train.

Seriously, he’s right though.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2024 6:30 AM

James Gandolfini was a sexy bear. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2024 11:27 PM

Yippee! They just announced that it will air on HBO Sept 7.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2024 5:35 PM

Can’t wait.

by Anonymousreply 12August 26, 2024 4:36 PM

This came up on my YouTube feed. It's a compilation of Carmela's parents, Hugh and Mary DeAngelis. I never realized that these two were really good actors until I saw this compilation. Very hilarious, as well. I liked the interactions between Tony and Hugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 26, 2024 4:38 PM

I watched the whole doc last night. Surprisingly emotional, and Chase seems to have mellowed in his golden years. A lot of Gandolfini, and that's the best part of it. Some of the auditions for Tony and his Ma are hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 14September 9, 2024 4:16 PM

Suzanne Shepherd, who played Mary DeAngelis, read for Livia Soprano.

by Anonymousreply 15September 9, 2024 5:53 PM

I thought the show was highly overrated. Most episodes were boring.

by Anonymousreply 16September 9, 2024 6:14 PM

Watching the documentary really made me want to watch the series again. (Friends of mine did a rewatch of The Sopranos last winter, two episodes/night, which somehow broke their DVD player). I watched the show faithfully as it originally aired and bought the DVDs -- which I've never watched (yet I've rewatched The WIre on DVD a couple of times). Maybe I'll take a deep breath and revisit Tone 'n' Cahm after I finish Homicide on Peacock (if the annoying commercials there don't piss me off first).

by Anonymousreply 17September 9, 2024 7:08 PM

I’ve only seen the first part of the documentary but I enjoyed it.

Was that Jonathan LaPaglia reading for Christopher?

by Anonymousreply 18September 9, 2024 7:24 PM

Funny enough. The original mail order Netflix allowed to me really get into the series. I started watching when the 5th season premiered. Then that summer I ordered all the original seasons on Netflix. I caught up by the time season 6 premiered and HBO has come out with its on demand service by that time so I could rewatch season 5. Ughh nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 19September 9, 2024 7:32 PM

I binge watched after seeing I'd missed most of the week long Labor Day airing, I can recite the first three seasons by this point. Loved this doc! Interesting how similar both Chase and Gandolfini are to Tony. Also found it interesting how Chase felt the role was 'too easy' for the actor. Loved seeing the casting videos, and this cast was perfect. (The way Drea annunciated that extra-ah, landing her the role of Adrianna, reminds me of how PJ Soles was cast for the way she pronounced 'totally' in Halloween.- sorry digressing).

Definitely worth watching, Chase is an interesting guy (his Italian uncles' stories, needs a show). I think he had said that the ending meant Tony was getting popped was partially to squash the show like a bug, people weren't moving on. I must be in the minority, I liked the ending. Also, thought that the attachment to the characters by Chase was interesting in their portrayal (Silvio and Ade) in the series. Great way to revisit this series, including the audio of Gandolfini in parts.

The actress who plays Charmaine looks fantastic, definitely has had work, but it was good work as she really looks great.

by Anonymousreply 20September 10, 2024 2:50 AM

I highly recommend this. I also recommend the Talking Sopranos podcast, but it can be very irritating when Steve Schirripa went on his rants.

by Anonymousreply 21September 10, 2024 3:08 AM

Forgot about this, Tony 'Paulie Walnuts' dedication to his hair is epic. Loved that, he WAS the character. An element that is also largely unique to this series (Ginny being another).

by Anonymousreply 22September 10, 2024 3:25 AM

Any other comments? I haven't watched yet...

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2024 11:49 PM

I love Alex Gibney he's one of the nicest, smartest people I've ever met and worked with. However, he has a woman that works for him that's a raving nasty bitch. Alex wake up she will destroy your brand!

by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2024 12:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!