Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The complete brand death of Star Wars has appeared to be triggered by The Acolyte

The first part in the video appears to be one of the video games but it's a very good example of what Star Wars used to mean to a lot of people. It was very cinematic, very well-filmed, it brings to mind the kind of things you imagined when you played as a child. It was for lack of a better word, "fun."

Then the second part is a clip from The Acolyte, the first thing I want to point out is how cheap it looks. It calls to mind bad episodes of one of those Star Trek series from the 90s on UPN.

If people no longer associate Star Wars with a very specific type of high-quality entertainment, they will abandon it. This is an unrecoverable nosedive. This is even worse than what Warner Bros. did with the creation of the DCEU.

I don't even blame Kathleen Kennedy for this, this is Bob Iger's fault. Much like the DCEU cannot be entirely blamed on Zack Snyder, it was Kevin Tsujihara's fault. They gave control of important IP to people who do not actually appear to like it or understand it and cynically expected them to push out "product" on schedule.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 14, 2024 3:09 PM

Is this one of those incel sites filled with bile and hate for women and minorities?

Not interested.

by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2024 3:40 PM

Except the problem with someone like R1 is that he will never watch this show while insisting it be like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2024 3:47 PM

let it die.

by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2024 4:19 PM

Nerdrotic is the definition of an incel channel seething with hate for women and minorities.

by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2024 4:22 PM

Go woke…

by Anonymousreply 5June 13, 2024 4:24 PM

oooh lightshabersh i shimply love these shtar warsh

by Anonymousreply 6June 13, 2024 4:26 PM

Not to pull a "Well, actually ..." on you, but Sith witches have appeared before. Although the weird chanting is new to the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 7June 13, 2024 4:50 PM

Luke Skywalker is to Lucasfilm what Mickey Mouse is to Disney Studios. No one would be allowed to destroy Mickey the way Kennedy was allowed to destroy Luke. Luke is the center of the SW universe. Not any female wannabe Jedis.

by Anonymousreply 8June 13, 2024 5:23 PM

I couldn't make it past the first episode. The writing sucks, the acting sucks and the plot is stupid. An evil twin. I mean fucking really? An evil twin?

It doesn't even feel like Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 9June 13, 2024 6:16 PM

This is very similar to the Witcher. The people they choose to run these shows don’t want to make a show that is on brand with the existing material. They want to make it like something else they like or is popular.

With The Witcher, it was obvious the showrunner wanted to make Game of Thrones. With the Acolyte, it looks like the showrunner wants to make Dune.

by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2024 6:21 PM

Star Wars' problem is that its entire mythology as created by George Lucas was expansive but never really that deep nor that detailed. They were joyous and pretty straightforward space operas, never designed to sustain much more complexity than what was required by the narratives of the nine films that formed the Skywalker Saga. It seems that Disney are only now realising that relatively simple material can only be stretched so far before it breaks.

However, I do think Andor was pretty great.

by Anonymousreply 11June 13, 2024 6:36 PM

Very striking parallels to what Kennedy did with Hand Solo and Luke Skywalker and what Zack Snyder did with Superman and Batman.

I read one article that said Snyder treated Superman like Jesus but from the point of view of someone who hates Jesus. Which makes sense considering he was raised Christian Scientist.

by Anonymousreply 12June 13, 2024 6:38 PM

I think I same one of them hand solos on xhamster.

by Anonymousreply 13June 13, 2024 6:43 PM

The Wisher

by Anonymousreply 14June 13, 2024 7:10 PM

Such a disingenuous clip from the usual suspects, the action scenes in this show are excellent. Honestly, the fight scenes are probably the only reason why I'm still watching. That Carrie-Anne Moss fight choreo in the premiere was as good as anything seen in the Matrix.

But you can't reason with the anti-woke brigade, they see a black lead and they see red.

by Anonymousreply 15June 14, 2024 4:05 AM

It's not anti woke or the fact that the lead is black. It's total hackwork.

by Anonymousreply 16June 14, 2024 4:07 AM

[quote]the action scenes in this show are excellent.

Oh hi, I'm doing all the work!

by Anonymousreply 17June 14, 2024 4:16 AM

r15 wet blanket killjoy emeritus.

Not that he knows what emeritus means without looking it up.

by Anonymousreply 18June 14, 2024 7:16 AM

^^Sitting in my Midtown co-op I can look up plenty. You can only dream.

BTW The Acolyte is a POS.

by Anonymousreply 19June 14, 2024 7:37 AM

It's over. Done and over. Bitches. Lets just have our memories.

by Anonymousreply 20June 14, 2024 9:32 AM

Did incels throw a fit back in 1980, when George Lucas ordered that half the inhabitants of Cloud City were black?

by Anonymousreply 21June 14, 2024 9:47 AM

Cloud Shitty

by Anonymousreply 22June 14, 2024 9:59 AM

Theshe aren’t the droidsh you’re looking for.

by Anonymousreply 23June 14, 2024 10:03 AM

OP is an anti-Biden troll, which is totally shocking, right?

by Anonymousreply 24June 14, 2024 11:04 AM

People who get off on discussing this crap in terms of management failures are part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 25June 14, 2024 11:15 AM

Just do a damn Darth Vader show already.

That's what people really want.

by Anonymousreply 26June 14, 2024 1:27 PM

There could also be a whole thread about the mistakes made in creating a Star Wars land at Disney World and Disneyland.

by Anonymousreply 27June 14, 2024 3:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!