Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Chorus Line Commercial 1975

This was the very first commercial for the Broadway musical A Chorus Line. For us gay boys in the NYC metro area we grew up seeing this commercial on Channel 11 and Channel 5 in the 1970's into the early 1980's.

The guy singing with the very high voice looks like he had that AIDS look about him even in 1975 or maybe he just had MAJOR gay stare in the eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 16, 2024 11:28 AM

I watched the movie last week. Had never seen it. Was horrible, but I couldn’t stop watching.

by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2024 1:08 AM

R1- Just like Showgirls.

It's horrible yet I can't stop watching.

by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2024 1:09 AM

[quote]The guy singing with the very high voice looks like he had that AIDS look about him even in 1975 or maybe he just had MAJOR gay stare in the eyes.

Sammy Williams lived to be 70.

by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2024 1:22 AM

a gay chorus boy, what a shock

by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2024 1:28 AM

Well...there certainly was a, how shalll we say, "gentler"standard of beauty back then, wasn't there...

by Anonymousreply 5June 13, 2024 2:41 AM

There was another commercial I remember where they showed Mike doing flips and stuff.

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2024 2:04 AM

R6. Here you go...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2024 2:12 AM

god I think i blew it!

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2024 4:02 AM

What was the deal with Mike and the gymnastics. They must have added that into the run.

I watched the original cast on youtube and that Mike just tap dances.

by Anonymousreply 9June 16, 2024 4:36 AM

The one with all the dancing was first. OP's started airing maybe a year into the run.

by Anonymousreply 10June 16, 2024 5:40 AM

This show has not aged well.

by Anonymousreply 11June 16, 2024 10:31 AM

Lord I remember that commercial from my youth... I saw A Chrus Line in, '83? Along time ago indeed.

Slightly (ever slightly) related is the fabulous "Stop Cats! - A Chorus Cat" from Forbidden Broadway. There should be a statue in Times Square to Allesandrini. He was so spot-on over the decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 16, 2024 11:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!