Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is it time to admit that Julie Andrews sucks?

I've been home sick and on the couch watching a bunch of old Siskel & Ebert shows. For some reason, I feel like every third movie starred Julie Andrews and so I've seen a LOT of clips with her, and I've come to the conclusion that she's actually a really terrible actress. She gives the same uptight performance with the same pinched voice in every movie.

by Anonymousreply 122October 4, 2024 11:57 PM

Julie Andrews was outstanding in Victor/Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2024 12:48 AM

Disagree. She was kind of terrible.

by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2024 1:07 AM

No, it is not time for that.

by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2024 1:14 AM

[quote]like every third movie starred Julie Andrews

Nah. She was lucky to do a movie a year if that.

by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2024 1:34 AM

OP likes replying to herself.

by Anonymousreply 5June 13, 2024 1:36 AM

She's wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 13, 2024 1:43 AM

[quote] OP likes replying to herself.

Do I? Because I haven't once on here.

by Anonymousreply 7June 13, 2024 1:49 AM

Brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 13, 2024 1:50 AM

... I loved that her asking price was so high to show up for a cameo in the Mary Poppins sequel, Disney took a pass.

She figured she'd earned it.

by Anonymousreply 9June 13, 2024 1:54 AM

Did she do anything other than her husband's movies after the early 1970s?

by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2024 2:35 AM

Hard disagree, OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 13, 2024 2:43 AM

OP, where are the Siskel & Ebert re-runs? I'm a huge fan and would love to watch.

by Anonymousreply 12June 13, 2024 2:52 AM

R12, there is a treasure trove of them on YouTube from all years from 1976 to the 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 13June 13, 2024 2:53 AM

You do realize that, once they have a hit, 90-95% of actors give the same performance in almost everything they're in and only the dialogue and wardrobe changes, don't you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 14June 13, 2024 3:08 AM

It is time, now as ever, to love Julie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 13, 2024 4:17 AM

3 nominations 1 win

by Anonymousreply 16June 13, 2024 4:24 AM

Julie Andrews is an International Icon& very nice person

She was great in "The Americanization of Emily" with DL LOVE James Garner& Lee Marvin.

Victor/Victoria was wonderful with DL LOVE James Garner again, Lesley Anne Warren, Robert Preston& Alex Karras.

S.O.B was beyond funny, doesn't get enough credit-I loved it!!

My buddy Marc in San Diego has 2 originals films of "My Fair Lady"& "Camelot" I never got a straight answer how he got these films, either stole them, bought them, or fucked someone to get them.

by Anonymousreply 17June 13, 2024 5:02 AM

R17 Films of what? The Broadway casts?

by Anonymousreply 18June 13, 2024 5:11 AM

Yes, my buddy Marc has films of My Fair Lady & Camelot from the original Broadway casts of both shows.

BTW, Richard Burton was really hot and that voice!!

How did Julie Andrews lose the Tony award in My Fair Lady and Camelot? Seriously!!

by Anonymousreply 19June 13, 2024 5:30 AM

What's wrong with you OP, are you, ya know mental?

by Anonymousreply 20June 13, 2024 5:32 AM

In a recent interview Lesley Ann Warren said, "I adore Julie Andrews. I absolutely adore her. ... Julie is the most generous, most down to earth, kind, fun, funny, loving person."

by Anonymousreply 21June 13, 2024 5:39 AM

OP’s a Trumper

by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2024 5:47 AM

OP farms rage 😡 👨‍🌾

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2024 6:17 AM

[quote]In a recent interview Lesley Ann Warren said, "I adore Julie Andrews. I absolutely adore her. ... Julie is the most generous, most down to earth, kind, fun, funny, loving person."

Unlike Leslie Ann herself.

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2024 6:18 AM

Can we clear something up? When people here speak of having "film of the OBC of Camelot and My Fair Lady" you're talking about the extended scene selections from Ed Sullivan, right? Not actual films of t he shows, correct?

by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2024 7:12 AM

Not necessarily. As I understand it, there were single camera recordings made of these older shows that aren't terribly good quality for research purposes. You can watch them in the Lincoln Center library, and it seems a few of them have made it onto YT.

There are also personal recordings, like the one of Streisand's last night on Funny Girl that Jule Styne had done. Babs plays a snippet on her audiobook and says she has it in her vault.

by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2024 7:18 AM

The original costume malfunction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2024 7:53 AM

R27, reporting from Freud's genital phase.

by Anonymousreply 28June 13, 2024 7:57 AM

I prefer Shary Bobbins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 13, 2024 7:57 AM

She's a brittle interview subject and a terrible actress. If forced to eat dog shit or watch Andrews in that revolting Victor/Victoria -- I would have to think about it for a moment.

by Anonymousreply 30June 13, 2024 8:06 AM

She comes from a different era of acting. Perhaps, more stage-worthy. Watch her in SOB she tried to immerse herself and challenge people's perception of her on screen.

by Anonymousreply 31June 13, 2024 8:10 AM

OP: Mary Poppins!

by Anonymousreply 32June 13, 2024 8:42 AM

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

by Anonymousreply 33June 13, 2024 8:43 AM

OP, thank you! Much appreciated!

by Anonymousreply 34June 13, 2024 10:08 AM

[quote]If forced to eat dog shit or watch Andrews in that revolting Victor/Victoria -- I would have to think about it for a moment.

Oh Erna, you know you would eat the shit without any thought whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 35June 13, 2024 10:18 AM

Erna is dead.

Let's keep it that way please.

by Anonymousreply 36June 13, 2024 11:19 AM

[quote]Erna is dead.

But the odor lingers on.

by Anonymousreply 37June 13, 2024 11:46 AM

There's a video of the entire Mary Martin South Pacific from 1952 so it's conceivable that the original MFL and Camelot were also filmed by the creators/producers but have yet to pop up anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 38June 13, 2024 11:47 AM

Love her cooking shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 13, 2024 11:59 AM

Like most movie actors, she was fine 65% in what she was required to do. If most of it was boring, that's not her fault.

by Anonymousreply 40June 13, 2024 12:27 PM

What did Pauline Kael say: Something like: "She has the impersonal niceness of an airline stewardess."

by Anonymousreply 41June 13, 2024 12:28 PM

Maybe so, r41, but there is no one under 40 in the general public who knows who Kael is.

by Anonymousreply 42June 13, 2024 1:04 PM

She would have looked better without that severe short hairstyle.

by Anonymousreply 43June 13, 2024 1:15 PM

R42, is there anyone under 40 who knows who Julie Andrews is?

by Anonymousreply 44June 13, 2024 1:33 PM

Decidedly yes. Get out more.

by Anonymousreply 45June 13, 2024 1:41 PM

R16, Julie has a record of winning an Oscar one out of every three times she’s nommed. You? 0ne out of every seven.

Stick to Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 46June 13, 2024 1:56 PM

Uh yes R44.

From Bridgerton alone.

by Anonymousreply 47June 13, 2024 1:57 PM

R24, I need to know the pumpkin story.

by Anonymousreply 48June 13, 2024 1:58 PM

[quote] ... I loved that her asking price was so high to show up for a cameo in the Mary Poppins sequel, Disney took a pass.

R9 Despite the many callbacks to the original Mary Poppins, the sequel still lacked Andrews' presence. Director Rob Marshall recalled to Variety how quickly Andrews turned down the offer to appear in Mary Poppins Returns. Marshall stated Andrews felt the film was "Emily's show" and didn't want to hog the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 49June 13, 2024 2:09 PM

"Decidedly"? Look out for granny at R45.

by Anonymousreply 50June 13, 2024 2:09 PM

[quote] My buddy Marc in San Diego has 2 originals films of "My Fair Lady"& "Camelot" I never got a straight answer how he got these films, either stole them, bought them, or fucked someone to get them

R17 Are these movies of the stage shows with Julie? Have you seen them?

by Anonymousreply 51June 13, 2024 2:24 PM

Julie Andrews is a national treasure. Protect her at all costs.

by Anonymousreply 52June 13, 2024 3:15 PM

Op Sorry you’re home sick OP. I hope you have sone sugar at home. A spoonful of the stuff will make the medicine go down in a most delightful way.

by Anonymousreply 53June 13, 2024 3:23 PM

^Julie. You csn call me Mrs Edwards

by Anonymousreply 54June 13, 2024 3:24 PM

My friend Julie is such a cunt! Not.

by Anonymousreply 55June 13, 2024 3:25 PM

I think Julie is really terrific in roles that she's right for. Her performance in The Sound of Music is astonishing. Both vinegary and sweet. Mary Poppins is iconic. But you know, in Torn Curtain, she kind of doesn't know what to do. The film is kinda weak and she and Paul Newman don't really gel.

by Anonymousreply 56June 13, 2024 3:27 PM

Not the Ed Sullivan tapes of Camelot (he was involved in that TV taping too). But the "Original Broadway stage production" of "Camelot and My Fair Lady" with Julie Andrews.

To R17, Yes, I have seen them.

by Anonymousreply 57June 13, 2024 3:28 PM

I think OP's question is a fair question.

Julie Andrews does seem like a lovely person and a more than competent singer. She's "fine" as an actor is not a rave review.

So, personality and nostalgia aside, was she a good actor? Did she have je ne sais quois that made you want to watch her?

When I watch The Sound of Music, all I can think of is my parents and it's hard to judge.

That short hairstyle: she could have grown it out a bit for roles, but never did.

by Anonymousreply 58June 13, 2024 4:43 PM

Her Eliza on the stage was theatre genius. OP is silly- or a troll.

by Anonymousreply 59June 13, 2024 5:36 PM

No, OP isn't old enough to have seen her onstage in My Fair Lady.

by Anonymousreply 60June 13, 2024 6:22 PM

I have nothing against Julie Andrews, but I was very surprised to find out that she’s a gay icon. Can someone explain why she’s a gay icon? I mean, Julie’s so simple, no big hair and makeup, no big personality, nothing big about her.

by Anonymousreply 61June 13, 2024 9:27 PM

[quote]I need to know the pumpkin story.

R48 My coworker (let's call her Andi) shared a property line with Leslie Ann. Andi grew some enormous pumpkins for the special ed school we worked at, but some of the pumpkin vines grew a few inches over the property line. Leslie Ann helped herself to several of the pumpkins, leaving us without enough for the classrooms. The pumpkins weren't on the property line, but because the vines were, Leslie Ann claimed she had a right to them.

An argument erupted, followed by several weeks of sniping back and forth, involving Andi and her husband, Leslie Ann and her attorney husband, and eventually a hapless surveyor.

Andi didn't feel like wasting time in court over it, but she did become ucharacteristically foul mouthed during one of the arguments and called Leslie Ann a cunt to her face. The husbands had to break it up.

The stolen pumpkins were never returned, as Leslie Ann had already given them away.

by Anonymousreply 62June 13, 2024 9:34 PM

I just watched a documentary (if you could call it that) about the making of Clue. They interviewed Lesley Ann and she looks damn good for her age, but she had absolutely nothing of substance to say about the film or the making of it. Then again, the filmmaker was so fucking inept, it would not surprise me to find that he asked her nothing of substance.

by Anonymousreply 63June 13, 2024 9:57 PM

^ I'd feel bad about repeatedly not spelling her name correctly, had she not been such an awful person.

by Anonymousreply 64June 13, 2024 9:59 PM

Didn’t she show her tits in SOB as well?

There was a period where she seemed determined to shed her wholesome image. Much was made of her foray into “adult” films.

by Anonymousreply 65June 13, 2024 10:05 PM

Her tits are really ugly.

by Anonymousreply 66June 13, 2024 10:07 PM

R66 Oh, please! You just don't like them cause they're not man tits.

by Anonymousreply 67June 13, 2024 10:18 PM

Fuck off, R67

by Anonymousreply 68June 13, 2024 10:20 PM

Thread derailing quickly.

by Anonymousreply 69June 13, 2024 10:25 PM

Julie is and always has been nothing but a class act!

by Anonymousreply 70June 13, 2024 10:36 PM

You can be a class act and a mediocre actress. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 71June 13, 2024 10:49 PM

I would think that her speaking voice would make it difficult to play many different types of characters, or maybe because it's become so associated with TSOM and MP that the public can't not hear her as those characters.

by Anonymousreply 72June 14, 2024 12:22 AM

[Quote] Maybe so, [R41], but there is no one under 40 in the general public who knows who Kael is.

Maybe so R42 but there is a 2019 documentary about Kael titled "What She Said", "A Life in the Dark' a 2011 biography about Kael written by Brian Kellow, and a dozen or so collections of her criticism available on Amazon (Reeling, Deeper into Movies, Taking It All in, Hooked, Going Steady . . .) and Tarantino has talked about making a film about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 14, 2024 12:48 AM

R68, if you’re so sensitive, wtf are you doing HERE?

by Anonymousreply 74June 14, 2024 12:49 AM

Fuck off, R74

by Anonymousreply 75June 14, 2024 12:59 AM

[quote] I would think that her speaking voice would make it difficult to play many different types of characters

R72 Julie Andrews wouldn’t or couldn’t do an American accent in “Thoroughly Modern Millie,” and there was no explanation why a woman from the US Midwest was speaking with a British accent.

Meanwhile, James Fox is such a good actor that I didn’t know he wasn’t an American when I saw TMM in a movie theater during its first run. (But I sure as hell knew I was attracted to him, closeted gayling that I was at the time). Many years later, I was surprised to find out that Fox is British.

by Anonymousreply 76June 14, 2024 1:19 AM

She’s unusually talented- that’s why she’s an icon. I never saw the original My Fair Lady but I have the original cast recording and she is sublime. She’s much the same only very different in the original Camelot cast recording. She’s one of those talents with a distinct sound like all great B’way stars. She’s very English, but he characterizations are always clear as a bell whether cockney or high born. Her voice did not age well, but for a 20 year period it was sublime. And she’s a class act.

by Anonymousreply 77June 14, 2024 1:26 AM

What's interesting is that even on this thread with you Eldergay bitches, no one mentions how plastic surgery has made her current face a mask, and it has been that way for a while now. It affects her acting: she now has to do it with her eyes and what she has left of her voice, as her face isn't that expressive anymore. She's had at least two major facial revisions: one sometime in the 1970s in her weird period and one in the late 90s or early 2000s that was quite severe and probably has settled all it's ever going to.

by Anonymousreply 78June 14, 2024 4:05 AM

I can't deny that. But there are so many worse examples with younger stars, from Mickey to Meg.

by Anonymousreply 79June 14, 2024 4:22 AM

OP, You don't have to convince me. I've thought she was lousy since 1965.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 14, 2024 4:28 AM

The actress who played the Baroness (SOM) was absolutely beautiful, like Tippi Hedren.

by Anonymousreply 81June 14, 2024 4:29 AM

R81 Yes, I'm Team Baroness as well.

by Anonymousreply 82June 14, 2024 4:31 AM

R78, you neglected to mention Julie’s nose thinning surgery. The bulbous beak of The Sound of Music was whittled down and made her look very different.

by Anonymousreply 83June 14, 2024 11:54 AM

R62, that’s interesting… because Lesley Anne played Cinderella in the 60s. Why did she want the pumpkins so badly? Did she need a coach for the ball?

by Anonymousreply 84June 14, 2024 1:40 PM

Looks like Julie had more than one nose job. This was the nose long before TSOM:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 14, 2024 3:09 PM

Hello, gorgeous r85! Now THAT'S a nose!

by Anonymousreply 86June 14, 2024 3:16 PM

Interesting to note that Julie and Leslie both did TV versions of Cinderella, but nobody has mentioned it!!! Who is your favorite R&H TV Cinderella? I think they both did well, in their own way.

by Anonymousreply 87June 14, 2024 8:23 PM

Julie Andrews is wonderful. With the right part - Poppins, Maria, Vicyor/Victoria - she’s brilliant. She doesn’t really have the range for some of the things she’s done, but even then, she’s never less than competent.

Fucknoff, you LOONY OP.

by Anonymousreply 88June 14, 2024 8:27 PM

Your opinion sucks, R88.

by Anonymousreply 89June 15, 2024 2:08 AM

Oh, the heresy of it all! What a shameful day for DL that not only is a thread like this allowed to be created in the first place, but that it stays put instead of being removed as the defamatory hate speech that it is.

by Anonymousreply 90June 15, 2024 4:15 AM

Lesley Ann Warren wipes the floor with Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 91June 15, 2024 8:21 AM

[quote]Her tits are really ugly.

I think it was Rex Reed who said they looked like "two empty wallets" in his review of S.O.B.

If I remember correctly, there's a line in the subsequent Victor/Victoria where Andrews uses that same phrase about them.

By the way I haven't seen the movie on decades, but I also remember liking her in the movie Little Miss Marker, which was made around that time period and which co-starred Walter Matthau.

by Anonymousreply 92June 15, 2024 8:54 AM

her tits look really good at R27.

by Anonymousreply 93June 15, 2024 9:07 AM

We would have had a much better thread if you just asked us to shit on Julie Andrews's human imperfections for fun. Nobody's perfect, but she's associated with some very primal memories for lots of people, like Rosie talks about on the linked video.

The only new thing we're learning here in the sea of things that have been said nine thousand times before is that many of you are bunch of self indulgent old cunts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 15, 2024 9:12 AM

She was a client of mine at a store I worked at in NYC. She has a gigantic head.

by Anonymousreply 95June 15, 2024 9:16 AM

[quote] She has a gigantic head.

You should have seen it before the cranial reduction surgery! Oh, my legs!

by Anonymousreply 96June 15, 2024 12:10 PM

[quote] We would have had a much better thread if you just asked us to shit on Julie Andrews's human imperfections for fun. Nobody's perfect, but she's associated with some very primal memories for lots of people

Then start one like that. Or feel free to take this one over and go in that direction if you like. I said what I came to say, which was that I find her acting quite unappealing and don't understand the praise for her film work. (Never seen her onstage, so I can't comment on that.) I was mostly disagreed with, which is fine. I still stand by my opinion, but was curious if others felt the same way.

I don't know Julie Andrews, nor have I heard anything bad about her personally, so I have nothing to say on that front, and other than her tits, which I do find unattractive, I think she looks fine, so no comments there.

by Anonymousreply 97June 15, 2024 12:31 PM

Speaking of Julie Andrews' tits, did it help or harm her to go from Mary Poppins to baring her bazooms in S.O.B.? It seemed more desperate than comic, given that it wasn't like her character just happened to be topless, say, getting out of bed, but that the entire movie seemed geared to get her to rip off her top and give straight guys something to jack off to. From Poppins to Porky's doesn't seem like a step up or a step even needing to be taken.

by Anonymousreply 98June 15, 2024 1:18 PM

She didn’t, dippy R98. The films were more than a decade apart.

by Anonymousreply 99June 15, 2024 1:44 PM

Boogie Woogie Bugle boys the only song of hers that I know. And that one is pretty good so I don't know why you would say she sucks

by Anonymousreply 100June 15, 2024 2:24 PM

You don't deserve to be gay, OP. We are revoking your card.

by Anonymousreply 101June 15, 2024 2:30 PM

R27 tits look ok for 45 years old

by Anonymousreply 102June 15, 2024 9:01 PM

I've often said this, myself, R101!

by Anonymousreply 103June 15, 2024 9:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104October 4, 2024 6:52 PM

I was once in a pub in London, when the most drop dead gorgeous specimen of manhood walked in. Everyone was staring at him, he was unbelievably sexy. Then he opened his mouth. He sounded exactly like Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 105October 4, 2024 7:07 PM

Yes OP she was disaster in Mary Poppins AND The Sound of Music. Op a fuckface

by Anonymousreply 106October 4, 2024 7:12 PM

She was a lamb....you CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 107October 4, 2024 7:13 PM

Prior to her surgery, I could listen to Julie sing for hours on end -but she's never been a very good actress. Unlike her voice, she was very one-note. Kind of like Liza, she was best in a certain kind of role. When you have a role that says "Liza" no one will be better in it. When you have a role that says "Julie" do your best to get her, because she'll do it well. I only met her once, and she was an absolute cunt. Maybe I caught her on a bad night? I just know that since meeting her I've never been able to enjoy any of her performances in quite the same way.

The My Fair Lady and Camelot Broadway cast albums are truly the way I want to remember her.

by Anonymousreply 108October 4, 2024 7:14 PM

The Sound of Music is an all time classic as is Mary Poppins. She was perfect in both

by Anonymousreply 109October 4, 2024 7:22 PM

Julie Andrew’s is an international treasure.

by Anonymousreply 110October 4, 2024 7:45 PM

Streisand is kind of like that too, R108. Same with Esther Williams and Rita Hayworth.

by Anonymousreply 111October 4, 2024 8:05 PM

Julie Andrews (as Julie Edwards) wrote one of my favourite children's books, "Mandy". She also narrated it for the taped audiobook, which I found (in three separate sections) somewhere on YouTube.

It's about a little girl in an orphanage whose longing for a family to love drives her into danger.

It's very well-written book and there was no ghost writer involved. I wish she'd continued with a whole series; I would have read them all.

by Anonymousreply 112October 4, 2024 8:08 PM

It was Julie Andrews what forced Bai Ling up on the roof.

by Anonymousreply 113October 4, 2024 8:24 PM

What I want confirmation on is Andrews’ sexual orientation.

Bisexual would be my presumption.

by Anonymousreply 114October 4, 2024 8:56 PM

She showed her tits but she was still Maria to me.

by Anonymousreply 115October 4, 2024 8:57 PM

She's still an international treasure. Suck it, haterz!

by Anonymousreply 116October 4, 2024 8:58 PM

[quote] I only met her once, and she was an absolute cunt.

R108, can you elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 117October 4, 2024 9:41 PM

[quote] Julie Andrew’s is an international treasure.

And yet you still couldn't write her name correctly.

by Anonymousreply 118October 4, 2024 9:57 PM

She was extremely rude to everyone around her. Turning her back on people who were trying to talk to her and walking away. Clearly, no one was good enough for her.

by Anonymousreply 119October 4, 2024 11:09 PM

Do yourself a favour OP: whatever you're on, cut the dose.

by Anonymousreply 120October 4, 2024 11:14 PM

How close is she with her kids. I know her daughter Emma and her are very tight, but what about the others?

by Anonymousreply 121October 4, 2024 11:41 PM

R119, she's OLD and entitled

by Anonymousreply 122October 4, 2024 11:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!