Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If the SCOTUS does something in the hush money case...

...does it have to be before the 7/11 sentencing?

by Anonymousreply 17June 11, 2024 6:20 PM

They're not going to do anything about the hush money case because no one has even filed anything with them. Even Trump's lawyers aren't *that* dumb. Maybe after the appeals process at the state level is exhausted, they'll try it as a last-ditch effort, but that's a year or two away still.

by Anonymousreply 1June 11, 2024 1:13 PM

Who are you talking to?

by Anonymousreply 2June 11, 2024 1:14 PM

The SCOTUS will rule that a President is immune to such things, and he will walk free. But it will backfire on the Repugs when Biden wins in November.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 11, 2024 1:18 PM

^ Except that would have no bearing on the NY case, because those crimes were committed before he was president and are state crimes not federal.

Yes, it will backfire because now Biden can order Trump be put to death (he won't) and be perfectly immune. SCOTUS is going to fuck things up so bad that they'll end up being removed from the bench

by Anonymousreply 4June 11, 2024 1:25 PM

If Trump is immune, so is Biden. And at the moment Biden is the one in charge.

Could the Republicans and Trump and the Supremes be that stupid?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 5June 11, 2024 1:44 PM

"because those crimes were committed before he was president"

Didn't Turd keep making payments after he was in the White House?

by Anonymousreply 6June 11, 2024 2:20 PM

Yes, R6. He did. And if SCOTUS says a PResident is immune I think it covers all crimes not divided state vs federal. I wish Mr. Crowe would take Thomas and Alito on a cruise to Indonesia and the fucking yatch blows up and they're attacked by pythons. I'd pay a lot for the video.

by Anonymousreply 7June 11, 2024 2:44 PM

The Supreme Court would only get involved if there was some emergency writ filed after sentencing. But it would look very bad for them to get involved before appeals have played out in New York. Trump is nothing special. A jury found him guilty and it was unanimous.

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2024 2:48 PM

I wish every Republican justice gets the most horrible painful case of pancreatic cancer and then become paralyze by a vehicle accident, they are crooked and need to be removed in whatever way.

by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2024 2:52 PM

A US President cannot pardon someone convicted of a state crime. He can only pardon those convicted of Federal crimes. The Supreme Court can’t change that.

That said, R6, I applaud your proposed solution.

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2024 3:08 PM

[quote]And if SCOTUS says a PResident is immune I think it covers all crimes not divided state vs federal

There's no way in hell they issue a sweeping immunity ruling like that. But, we'll see soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 11June 11, 2024 3:19 PM

I’ll assume the Op is trolling, or just trying to generate buzz, etc.

Otherwise, I can only marvel at the continued ignorance routinely displayed on DL re the fundamentals of federalism and the US Constitution. It really might as well be Reddit at this point.

by Anonymousreply 12June 11, 2024 3:19 PM

R7 is the Forrest Gump of Con Law.

by Anonymousreply 13June 11, 2024 3:20 PM

"But it would look very bad for them..."

We can SAY and DO anything we want, capice? We are chosen by God and appointed for life!

by Anonymousreply 14June 11, 2024 3:22 PM

What can they do it's not a federal case.

by Anonymousreply 15June 11, 2024 3:28 PM

[quote] Could the Republicans and Trump and the Supremes be that stupid?

The Supremes?

by Anonymousreply 16June 11, 2024 4:15 PM

R7 is a SvetlanaBitch cunt, SvetlanaBitch did your daddy touch your nasty hole?

by Anonymousreply 17June 11, 2024 6:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!