Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #564: The "Mother Play" on Father's Day Tony Edition

It's all in the family this year, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 600June 22, 2024 12:33 PM

Old thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 11, 2024 5:38 AM

Meh

by Anonymousreply 2June 11, 2024 5:47 AM

It'll do in a pinch. Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3June 11, 2024 9:59 AM

The Bye Bye Birdie review in the previous thread sounds like it was written by a high schooler. Richard Kind is "a hoot"? Biorle's antics are "on point?" Don't let this production "say bye bye efore you see it"? Come on.

by Anonymousreply 4June 11, 2024 12:10 PM

As to the cast of Stereophonic not getting acting nominations at the Drama Desk's.. They seem to have just lumped them all together and gave them an ensemble award instead. And the show got the most awards of any show.

by Anonymousreply 5June 11, 2024 12:20 PM

Pardon my ignorance—in Stereophonic are we hearing the actors play their own instruments, are they miming to a track or some combination of both?

I know the singing is all live.

by Anonymousreply 6June 11, 2024 12:36 PM

Yes, thanks, I was over-reacting to the Drama Desk Awards, “Stereophonic” did very well.

I believe none of the actors are professional musicians but they learned their instruments and had a longer than usual rehearsal period to get comfortable with the music and each other. And it shows, their tightness as a group is one of the things that makes the show unique.

It sure looks and sounds like they’re playing live at every performance, I’m not sure why the production would need to use canned music, though they now have a cast recording.

by Anonymousreply 7June 11, 2024 12:45 PM

Bye Bye Birdie belongs in high schools these days.

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2024 12:48 PM

I happen to think that BYE BYE, BIRDIE is a superbly constructed show. The book and score do exactly what they set out to do with efficiency and charm. The Encores! version (starring DL fave Karen Ziémba) was shrugged off, as I recall, but that's when I realized how well-built the piece is.

by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2024 12:54 PM

I assumed the drummer was live — wasn’t sure about the bass or the keyboards. Thanks—

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2024 12:55 PM

Yeah, the cast of “Stereophonic” got a special ensemble award.

The citation says it all: “The cast . . . who execute David Adjmi’s hypernaturalistic text with extraordinary care and precision, while also performing Will Butler’s music with the freshness and life that makes us believe we are witnesssing, first-hand, the creation of a new American classic.”

by Anonymousreply 11June 11, 2024 12:55 PM

What is the rationale for giving two awards? Just to give two awards?

by Anonymousreply 12June 11, 2024 1:01 PM

The Theatre Mania review may be a rave but those photos of Bye Bye Birdie are not very enticing.

by Anonymousreply 13June 11, 2024 1:16 PM

Cabaret lost best revival to I Can Get It For You Wholesale? Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 14June 11, 2024 1:17 PM

Yes, r9, I agree. I had watched the TV version, and thought that the show just didn't work anymore, that it was more than creaky. I thought the Encores version was great, and showed that, if you trusted the material, it totally works.

by Anonymousreply 15June 11, 2024 1:48 PM

Speaking of Karen Ziemba, what is the ole gal up to these days?

She usually has a cha-cha up her sleeve

by Anonymousreply 16June 11, 2024 1:53 PM

May we assume Andrew Durand will be playing the lead role in Floyd Collins?

by Anonymousreply 17June 11, 2024 2:57 PM

Any word from Chicago about Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil? Rehearsal gossip?

by Anonymousreply 18June 11, 2024 3:02 PM

It’s just evil, not good.

by Anonymousreply 19June 11, 2024 3:13 PM

Nice title, OP!

by Anonymousreply 20June 11, 2024 4:22 PM

[quote]As to the cast of Stereophonic not getting acting nominations at the Drama Desk's.. They seem to have just lumped them all together and gave them an ensemble award instead.

Thank you, I'm glad someone realized what was going on and pointed it out.

by Anonymousreply 21June 11, 2024 5:17 PM

[quote]What is the rationale for giving two awards? Just to give two awards?

The Drama Desk gave in (or caved in) to the call for gender-free categories, but in doing so, they didn't want to decrease the number of acting awards given. So they decided that there will be two winners in each category -- the two actors who get the highest number of votes in that category. This year, it worked out that nearly all of the winners were female, but it will be interesting to see what happens if, in some future year, the winners are predominantly male. I think you can anticipate an outcry if that happens, because some people are never satisfied and always have to complain about something.

by Anonymousreply 22June 11, 2024 5:48 PM

[quote]May we assume Andrew Durand will be playing the lead role in Floyd Collins?

Maybe you're joking, but I'm thinking DEAD OUTLAW will have a further life, so Durand might not be available. Plus I don't think anyone would cast him in a role that's so similar in that he would again have to remain motionless for much of the show. Plus I would not be at all surprised if a black performer is cast as Floyd Collins.

by Anonymousreply 23June 11, 2024 5:51 PM

This is not one of those joke posters from the last thread. FOLLIES in 1973 at the Cape Cod Melody Tent (in the round).

Lynn Bari - first wife of Sid Luft!

Mary Small - singing personality during the Golden Age of Radio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 11, 2024 6:06 PM

Selma? Sally!

by Anonymousreply 25June 11, 2024 6:09 PM

Were Isabel Bigley and Sam Levene unavailable?

by Anonymousreply 26June 11, 2024 6:15 PM

I would have loved hearing Selma do Broadway Baby.

by Anonymousreply 27June 11, 2024 6:18 PM

Hadestown, Enemy, Outsiders, HK and Merrily sold out last week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 11, 2024 6:32 PM

Seeing Hadestown is like going to Hell and back. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 29June 11, 2024 6:34 PM

Seeing Hadestown may be like going to hell and back literally, but it's a wonderful show, in my opinion. And many people seem to agree, as it has been running for five years, and that's quite an achievement for an original musical, not a jukebox musical and not based on a well-known movie, book, or play.

by Anonymousreply 30June 11, 2024 6:57 PM

Zzzz

by Anonymousreply 31June 11, 2024 7:07 PM

You should probably continue your nap as long as possible, R31. That will be best for all of us :-)

by Anonymousreply 32June 11, 2024 7:12 PM

I find it interesting how Jessica and Sarah were co-winners of Drama Desk's Outstanding Lead Performance in a Play award. We shall see how this plays out at the Tonys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 11, 2024 7:19 PM

Not that interesting—completely different voting process.

Spoiler alert: Sarah won’t win.

by Anonymousreply 34June 11, 2024 7:21 PM

Tonys Producers on Changes For This Year’s Show, ‘Stereophonic’ and Their Plan to Honor Plays:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 11, 2024 9:01 PM

Sutton/Rosie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 11, 2024 10:16 PM

Betty/Triumph

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 11, 2024 10:32 PM

[quote]...it will be interesting to see what happens if, in some future year, the winners are predominantly male. I think you can anticipate an outcry if that happens...

R22, I think we can anticipate that will NEVER happen.

by Anonymousreply 38June 11, 2024 11:18 PM

Why did Swoosie Kurtz never come back?

by Anonymousreply 39June 11, 2024 11:36 PM

She old—bad face lift. 😵‍💫

by Anonymousreply 40June 11, 2024 11:43 PM

[quote]because some people are never satisfied and always have to complain about something

DLers? Hell, you're complaining about something that hasn't even happened yet.

by Anonymousreply 41June 11, 2024 11:50 PM

The streets are saying Betty Buckley got into a fight with stage management at Cabaret for not letting her go backstage after the performance at the stage door.

There was an eye witness spilling the beans on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 42June 11, 2024 11:51 PM

Why the fuck didn't they let her go backstage?

by Anonymousreply 43June 11, 2024 11:53 PM

If you have to ask…

by Anonymousreply 44June 12, 2024 12:31 AM

[quote]you're complaining about something that hasn't even happened yet.

Well, the [italic]almost[/italic] exclusively female acting awards given out this year by the Drama Desk voters already DID happen, R41.

I wouldn't be surprised if the inclusion of Brian D'Arcy James as part of a three-way tie wasn't hastily done at the last minute to prevent the embarrassment of the awards only being given out to women.

by Anonymousreply 45June 12, 2024 12:38 AM

It wasn’t a tie—it was a shared award.

by Anonymousreply 46June 12, 2024 12:52 AM

Which men should have won over which women?

by Anonymousreply 47June 12, 2024 1:09 AM

Tonys Roundtable:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 12, 2024 1:47 AM

They look like fun!

NOT

by Anonymousreply 49June 12, 2024 1:51 AM

[quote]Which men should have won over which women?

Here's a better question: why are men and women having to compete against other now? (Don't worry, I know the answer).

How about returning to acting awards being given out for each sex, with gender fluid/transgender folks nominating the sex category for which they wish to be considered?

All of this nonsense just to appease a very small minority.

by Anonymousreply 50June 12, 2024 1:54 AM

Returning? After that long dark period of mixed categories? Lol

by Anonymousreply 51June 12, 2024 1:56 AM

Way to avoid the point, R521.

by Anonymousreply 52June 12, 2024 1:58 AM

Oops! R51

by Anonymousreply 53June 12, 2024 1:58 AM

Sutton was great on the Rosie clip.

by Anonymousreply 54June 12, 2024 2:00 AM

Sweet Smell...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 12, 2024 2:02 AM

[quote] How about returning to acting awards being given out for each sex, with gender fluid/transgender folks nominating the sex category for which they wish to be considered?

But what about the "they/thems"?

by Anonymousreply 56June 12, 2024 2:21 AM

R52 I met the lame “point” head on…

by Anonymousreply 57June 12, 2024 2:24 AM

That was a fun and interesting roundtable from The Hollywood Reporter.

I saw “Days of Wine and Roses” twice because I really admired it the first time and thought O’Hara and James were fantastic, and it’s sad to read how painful it is to Kelli O’Hara that the show was a flop, and I remembered so many people here shitting on it. Shitting on a challenging but extraordinarily well done piece of theater with two world class performances alone worth the ticket price.

Not everything needs to be on Broadway, I know. At least Kelli has a good chance at the Tony, if she wins expect an impassioned speech.

by Anonymousreply 58June 12, 2024 2:35 AM

R58, I think most people who were extremely critical of DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES voiced their displeasure with the score, and I certainly agree with that. Meanwhile, there was almost universal praise for the performances of O'Hara and James.

I remember O'Hara was also very vocal about how distressed she was over the quick closing of THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY, which I think was a far better show that DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES. But audiences want to see what they want to see, and don't want to see what they don't want to see. (I know this is not exactly a news flash.)

by Anonymousreply 59June 12, 2024 2:47 AM

Challenging and well done isn’t enough. You have to be entertaining. Shakespeare is entertaining. O’Neill is entertaining. Days Of Wine And Roses wasn’t entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 60June 12, 2024 2:58 AM

Now isn't the time for a downer.

by Anonymousreply 61June 12, 2024 3:00 AM

R18 I'm visiting Chicago, and there are posters and radio & instagram ads for it all over this place. J. Harrison Ghee is playing the Lady Chablis, which is odd because they look nothing like her and they aren't trans. I was lucky enough to meet Lady Chablis and see her perform in Georgia back in the 90s. Ghee doesn't have any of her qualities or sly shade they she exuded. The wig and costume on Ghee doesn't help matters. I am hopeful because I loved the book and I'm a fan of Jason Robert Brown.

by Anonymousreply 62June 12, 2024 3:08 AM

J. Harrison Ghee may not be officially "trans," but I'm sure many people -- including this show's producers -- feel he's certainly close enough to play Lady Chablis.

by Anonymousreply 63June 12, 2024 3:20 AM

I knew Lady Chablis. She was 5'3", and one thing that was incredible about her is that so much personality and spice was in such a tiny, dainty-looking package. She was, in fact, a lady.

J. Harrison Ghee is 6'4". They are going to tower over everyone else in the garden and in Savannah. I don't see how this is going to work.

Then again, very few who see the show are also going to have been friends with Lady, and those of us who were are going to have do some extra suspending of disbelief.

But I have such doubts...

by Anonymousreply 64June 12, 2024 6:22 AM

I love Kelli O’Hara and Brian D’Arcy James, but Wine and Roses was quite tedious. 90 minutes of forgetful opera about 1950s alcoholism felt endless. I was ready to leave after 20 minutes.

I loved Bridges of Madison County. She was so great in that (she’s great in everything) and the music was stronger.

by Anonymousreply 65June 12, 2024 11:28 AM

I loved KO in Wine and Roses, but in Madison County she was far from the lusty Italian represented in the book. (Eve Meryl got closer.)

by Anonymousreply 66June 12, 2024 12:03 PM

Rs 59, 65, 66: The roundtable above mentions “Bridges.” Sarah Paulson brings it up saying she loved the show, that it was a great piece of musical theater and should still be running. Kelli acknowledges all that, but it clearly wasn’t the labor of love for her that “Wine and Roses” was.

by Anonymousreply 67June 12, 2024 12:41 PM

[quote]All of this nonsense just to appease a very small minority.

The nonsense you accurately describe is actually to serve the majority. The majority being the well intentioned people in the business who are so afraid of APPEARING to be less than 10000 percent sensitive and in service to the needs of a handful of performers/creatives who do not simply identify as male or female but whose very core of stability relies on the entire world confirming that they are who they think they are. Let's use the pronouns people wish and be respectful of everyone's identity without disenfranchising biological female actors who will most likely be getting the short end of the stick in the awards nomination process. Facing facts, most of the transgender performers are male to female. Even if they keep the same number of nominees for each category, an unspoken agenda will emerge to fill a percentage of those slots with trans performers, who in all likelihood will be trans women.

by Anonymousreply 68June 12, 2024 12:42 PM

‘Stereophonic’ Cast Will Perform Song At The Tony Awards:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 12, 2024 2:46 PM

Such mental gymnastics, R68! Your answer is well-reasoned (and well-intentioned) but implicit in your logic is that it is apparently quite okay if male actors (who identify as male) forfeit their chance for an acting award for the "greater good" of trans acceptance.

The only truly fair thing is for there to be just one award in each category (leading actor and supporting actor), regardless of sex or gender identity, as is the case with all the other awards (director, lighting etc.).

by Anonymousreply 70June 12, 2024 3:05 PM

Lighting and direction don't have a gender, r70...characters *do*.

by Anonymousreply 71June 12, 2024 3:07 PM

Merrily getting a pro shot on Monday and Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 72June 12, 2024 3:18 PM

[quote] Merrily getting a pro shot on Monday and Tuesday.

I'll be there for that, though I'll be out the rest of the week!

by Anonymousreply 73June 12, 2024 4:06 PM

Steel Pier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 12, 2024 6:17 PM

It's the audiences that got small.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 12, 2024 6:39 PM

Sarah looks like Madonna there.

by Anonymousreply 76June 12, 2024 6:53 PM

R75. I think the alternate Norma performs on Tuesday nights. Oh well. Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 77June 12, 2024 6:55 PM

[quote]Sarah Brightman's Sunset Boulevard in Melbourne Scales Back Shows Due to Low Demand

It couldn't have happened to a more deserving person :-)

by Anonymousreply 78June 12, 2024 8:05 PM

R78 Is Sarah Brightman a terrible person or something?

I don't know much about her other than she was Andrew Lloyd Webber's wife and that she originated his PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

by Anonymousreply 79June 12, 2024 8:42 PM

No only a person of extremely limited talent, with a singing voice that many people liken to chalk on a blackboard, but yes, also apparently a terrible person, based on several comments she has made and behavior she has exhibited over the years.

by Anonymousreply 80June 12, 2024 8:49 PM

She chose to marry of her own free will —you be the judge. She’s the Georgina Chapman of Broadway spouses.

by Anonymousreply 81June 12, 2024 8:58 PM

I think it was Frank Rich in his PHANTOM review that she couldn't look scared if she was held up on the subway.

by Anonymousreply 82June 13, 2024 1:49 AM

Titanic at Encores was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 83June 13, 2024 2:06 AM

R82 what did he mean by that?

by Anonymousreply 84June 13, 2024 2:14 AM

That her acting left something to be desired, r84?

by Anonymousreply 85June 13, 2024 2:22 AM

The genderless Drama Desk are yielding a majority of female winners thus far, and everyone seems okay with that. If there’s ever a couple of years of mostly male winners everyone will suggest that maybe the genderless awards weren’t a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 86June 13, 2024 2:31 AM

[quote]The genderless Drama Desk are yielding a majority of female winners thus far, and everyone seems okay with that. If there’s ever a couple of years of mostly male winners everyone will suggest that maybe the genderless awards weren’t a good idea.

My feelings exactly.

by Anonymousreply 87June 13, 2024 2:34 AM

Holland Taylor IS Nancy Pelosi.

by Anonymousreply 88June 13, 2024 2:34 AM

Rich meant that Sarah was no Mary Philbin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 13, 2024 2:46 AM

Does anyone think there was a male actor this year cheated of a Drama Desk Award?

No? I didn't think so.

by Anonymousreply 90June 13, 2024 3:12 AM

The Drama Desk Awards seem so meaningless now.

by Anonymousreply 91June 13, 2024 3:16 AM

The Drama desks the outer critics all those awards are ridiculous now. There are no critics left. So look at the judging panels of each of those organizations.

by Anonymousreply 92June 13, 2024 3:34 AM

Just got home from TITANIC at City Center Encores.

It's exquisite. You have till June 23rd to catch it.

Don't wait for it to make a Broadway transfer either. The orchestra and cast are too large for the show to be financially viable, so this is gonna be it.

Exquisite I tell you.

by Anonymousreply 93June 13, 2024 3:54 AM

Good but very glee club presentational coral singing. Not a lot of character or acting going on except from a couple of folks like Ramin and the main Kate. Even when they’re in deep shit, it’s very Posey and stilted. No fear or danger or emotion. . But lovely to hear that Orchestra.

by Anonymousreply 94June 13, 2024 3:59 AM

CHORAL, damn IT. Although I do imagine they became coral.

by Anonymousreply 95June 13, 2024 4:00 AM

The acting didn't bother me, not when the focus was so squarely on the music, which was exceptional. And I imagine the acting will deepen with each successive performance. Most of the roles are underwritten to focus on the bigger picture anyway.

by Anonymousreply 96June 13, 2024 4:20 AM

What do we think the Cape Cod Melody Theatre (stock) production of Follies was like? Is it likely they cut some things?

I suppose the appeal of Follies back then was that it was a hit Broadway show, the score, a chance to see some old entertainers (which was pretty much the pull of any summer stock production).

Was it likely played as just a reunion? Less avant-garde?

by Anonymousreply 97June 13, 2024 8:10 AM

Brightman wasn’t even nominated for Phantom. It was quite a shut out. It’s hard to believe that anyone else playing Christine wouldn’t have gotten at least a nomination, if not a Tony Award. Though it’s not the most exciting role.

I saw her early in the run. She sang beautifully and seemed of a piece of the rest of the production which was always more a triumph of stage craft than anything else. It’s not like it was a moving experience. There wasn’t any life in the thing anyway. It wasn’t Dreamgirls, that’s for sure. She made some wide-eyed funny faces during the Phantom number.

by Anonymousreply 98June 13, 2024 8:17 AM

NYC resented Andrew bringing her minor-talent girlfriend or wife or whatever she was. There was that now-famous review that said she looked like Minnie Mouse on Quaaludes.

by Anonymousreply 99June 13, 2024 12:22 PM

Alternate Patti Cohenour would have been nominated

by Anonymousreply 100June 13, 2024 12:33 PM

I’m listening to Awards Chatter’s Tony roundtable. My God does Leslie Odom Jr sound self serious and exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 101June 13, 2024 12:51 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1979, "The Madwoman of Central Park West" opened at 22 Steps.

by Anonymousreply 102June 13, 2024 1:23 PM

Idina returning to Broadway:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103June 13, 2024 1:28 PM

Equity wouldn't approve Sarah so ALW threatened to cancel the entire production. Equity caved but it caused a lot of resentment in the Broadway community.

by Anonymousreply 104June 13, 2024 1:35 PM

[quote]Not a lot of character or acting going on except from a couple of folks like Ramin and the main Kate.

This may be the first and last time that Ramin is ever praised for his acting :-)

by Anonymousreply 105June 13, 2024 1:47 PM

[quote]Equity wouldn't approve Sarah so ALW threatened to cancel the entire production. Equity caved but it caused a lot of resentment in the Broadway community.

And I distinctly remember that, before Equity decided in ALW and Brightman's favor, she said in a TV interview: "If I don't get to do it, the person I will really feel sorry is the woman who gets it, because she will always know she was second choice."

That little comment did not exactly endear Ms. Brightman to the Broadway community.

by Anonymousreply 106June 13, 2024 1:50 PM

Judy Kuhn and Chip Zien were great in Titanic. When they sing their song at the end and he stomps on the champagne glass, the straight man next to me (there with his wife) started loudly weeping.

To those of you who know these things, is it definitely too expensive to bring to Broadway? Judging from the audience response and The NY Times review, people are loving it.

Do Encores productions ever transfer?

by Anonymousreply 107June 13, 2024 3:02 PM

Not well, R107

by Anonymousreply 108June 13, 2024 3:04 PM

Yea—Encore productions have all been huge failures on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 109June 13, 2024 3:15 PM

[quote]Do Encores productions ever transfer?

Do you live in a cave?

by Anonymousreply 110June 13, 2024 3:23 PM

Still running!

by Anonymousreply 111June 13, 2024 3:26 PM

Patti’s Gypsy transferred and had a solid run.

by Anonymousreply 112June 13, 2024 4:44 PM

Wasn’t’ the first Titanic a bit of a box office letdown? I remember thinking it was a bit of a snooze…

by Anonymousreply 113June 13, 2024 4:45 PM

Among the other Encores! shows that successfully transferred were the recent INTO THE WOODS and PARADE. And ONCE UPON A MATTRESS is upcoming.

by Anonymousreply 114June 13, 2024 4:50 PM

Any FOLLIES news about next Thursday? I’m going and brining my sister who has never seen or heard it.

by Anonymousreply 115June 13, 2024 5:00 PM

How long do you brine your sister, r115?

by Anonymousreply 116June 13, 2024 5:01 PM

It was a typo, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 117June 13, 2024 5:04 PM

J. Harrison Ghee Is a boring performer. I’m still shocked they won a Tony for Some Like It Hot. J. Harrison gave a thoroughly dull performance.

by Anonymousreply 118June 13, 2024 5:20 PM

The original Titanic won Best Musical. I took my parents from out of town to a Wednesday matinee and within 10 minutes, the set had stopped operating. Apparently this happened relatively frequently. After that terrible start, the show never really recovered. My parents hated it.

by Anonymousreply 119June 13, 2024 5:36 PM

TITANIC: A NEW MUSICAL opened on Broadway in April 1997 and won 5 Tonys, including Best Musical. It closed in March 1999.

James Cameron's TITANIC was released in December 1997 and won 11 Oscars, including Best Picture. It was released on home video in September 1998.

I remember some people at the time thinking that the musical on Broadway was an adaptation of the film. 😂

by Anonymousreply 120June 13, 2024 5:46 PM

My memory of TITANIC was after the thrilling opening number, it all became rather tedious, the outcome never in doubt.

by Anonymousreply 121June 13, 2024 5:48 PM

The original production probably would’ve faired better if they had Bowen Yang playing the iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 122June 13, 2024 5:54 PM

I was walking through the fabric painting section of Parsons-Meares, and there was a girl painting a rose on a bodice front. I asked her what it was for and she said Titanic. I asked her if I could throw an ice cube at it. She gave me an utterly blank look and said..."No."

by Anonymousreply 123June 13, 2024 5:55 PM

[quote]Any FOLLIES news about next Thursday? I’m going and brining my sister who has never seen or heard it.

What sort of news are you looking for? Have you kept up with the cast changes?

by Anonymousreply 124June 13, 2024 6:53 PM

[quote]J. Harrison Ghee Is a boring performer. I’m still shocked they won a Tony for Some Like It Hot. J. Harrison gave a thoroughly dull performance.

Are you shocked because you don't understand why "they" one, or because you DO understand why? Hint: The pronoun is a clue.

by Anonymousreply 125June 13, 2024 6:54 PM

Surprised Jesse Green in his rave for Titanic didn't knowledge Jonathan Tunick's orchestrations, which do so much to make the music soar.

by Anonymousreply 126June 13, 2024 6:57 PM

r125 = insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 127June 13, 2024 7:13 PM

Herbie will be white. Louise will be Black. Rose's father will be Black. The newsboys will be Black. June will be biracial: Black mother, white father. The Toreodorables will be white. The strippers will be white.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128June 13, 2024 7:17 PM

R127 = utterly predictable. And therefore boring.

by Anonymousreply 129June 13, 2024 7:32 PM

What's that sound? Oh it's just June Havoc rolling in her grave.

by Anonymousreply 130June 13, 2024 7:45 PM

[quote]I remember some people at the time thinking that the musical on Broadway was an adaptation of the film. 😂

The big powe ballad, "I'm the King of the World" was a poor choice for the freewheeling patio number.

by Anonymousreply 131June 13, 2024 8:08 PM

In this case it should be a freewheeling promenade number.

by Anonymousreply 132June 13, 2024 8:18 PM

So the #564 catfight is going to be about J. Harrison Ghee? It always starts at about this point.

by Anonymousreply 133June 13, 2024 8:32 PM

Sally Harrison or Phyllis Harrison.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 134June 13, 2024 8:47 PM

Sarah Paulson or Jessica Lange? I feel like this is one of the closest races of the night.

by Anonymousreply 135June 13, 2024 9:13 PM

I know we shouldn't comment on ATC or their posters here but I'm so sick of seeing Chromolume's name on every other line. Must he comment on everything? Must he always pipe up even when he essentially has nothing to say? He's my new Most Annoying ATC Poster Ever now.

Get a life, Chromolume!

by Anonymousreply 136June 13, 2024 10:58 PM

Yes r98 “wide eyed funny faces” neatly describes Brightman’s range. She owes a lot to ALW.

by Anonymousreply 137June 13, 2024 11:28 PM

[quote]I know we shouldn't comment on ATC or their posters

Of course we should, r136. Why not? I *very* rarely go there anymore, but I remember Chromolume as very knowledgeable and I never had a problem with him.

by Anonymousreply 138June 14, 2024 12:42 AM

Deadline Tony predictions:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 14, 2024 2:33 AM

Lange's silent scene is 12 minutes? Not when I saw it.

Maybe this will be a thing like Laurie Metcalf's legendary monologue in BALM IN GILEAD, which seems to get longer every time someone recalls it.

by Anonymousreply 140June 14, 2024 3:03 AM

Is it that long because she's waiting for Jim Parsons' face lift to settle?

by Anonymousreply 141June 14, 2024 3:04 AM

I did not know that Lloyd sang...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142June 14, 2024 3:33 AM

Laurie Metcalf’s monologue at the lip of the stage in the second act of THREE TALL WOMEN was astounding. One of my favorite performances of hers.

by Anonymousreply 143June 14, 2024 3:50 AM

Erm, no you shouldn’t.

by Anonymousreply 144June 14, 2024 5:02 AM

R140 YES! That happens all the time also with diva standing ovations. People will say, “we stood for _____” for 7 minutes, 9 minutes, 23 minutes….”

by Anonymousreply 145June 14, 2024 12:54 PM

So now we that Sarah will win over Jessica. Per R139

by Anonymousreply 146June 14, 2024 12:59 PM

Per this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147June 14, 2024 1:00 PM

Several of those Deadline predictions are dubious so I wouldn't trust their support of Paulson.

by Anonymousreply 148June 14, 2024 1:31 PM

Greg Evans knows nothing Floats from media to media because he’s a zero

by Anonymousreply 149June 14, 2024 1:50 PM

Tony Mordente has passed away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150June 14, 2024 1:54 PM

Maya Philips is back

[Quote] The impressive script, by Lucy Kirkwood, and likewise direction, by Sarah Benson, snap to life in the form of a robust ensemble cast

Likewise directions

by Anonymousreply 151June 14, 2024 1:57 PM

Poor Lisa Mordente, to lose a mother and father within six months.

by Anonymousreply 152June 14, 2024 2:21 PM

R128, the strippers will be "any ethnicity".

by Anonymousreply 153June 14, 2024 2:25 PM

[quote]Mordente appeared in the Broadway and West End productions of West Side Story, as well as the film adaptation. While making the film, he met Chita Rivera, to whom he previously was married.

Does anyone know how to write these days? That sentence makes it seem as if he had been married to her before he met her.

by Anonymousreply 154June 14, 2024 2:28 PM

That entire thing confused me. So he met Chita while he was working on the film of WSS? It's also suggestive that Rivera was involved in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 155June 14, 2024 4:51 PM

Love the new cast recording of THE WIZ. Makes me want to see the show.

by Anonymousreply 156June 14, 2024 5:33 PM

As Mordente and Rivera were both in the original Broadway cast of WSS, they obviously didn't meet on the film.

by Anonymousreply 157June 14, 2024 5:38 PM

And apparently they never met at their wedding either.

by Anonymousreply 158June 14, 2024 5:40 PM

Erivo on tour this fall with big Symphony performances. Just received an email from San Francisco Symphony. I’m definitely going.

by Anonymousreply 159June 14, 2024 7:14 PM

[quote]As Mordente and Rivera were both in the original Broadway cast of WSS, they obviously didn't meet on the film.

They met and married, and Chita became pregnant with Lisa, during the Broadway run of WEST SIDE STORY, about three years before the movie began filming. The BroadwayWorld news item is a fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 160June 14, 2024 9:49 PM

Is it true that the recent revival of I Can Get it For You Wholesale is getting a cast album?

by Anonymousreply 161June 14, 2024 10:55 PM

Pertinent to our interests:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162June 14, 2024 11:18 PM

Does Hamilton always cast every role based on the original racial breakdown? Or is it fluid and truly color blind? Were the roles written for the races we’ve seen or was that based on happenstance of original casting?

by Anonymousreply 163June 15, 2024 12:09 AM

R163, I think the answer to your question is yes, because the whole point of the show is that the revolutionaries are to be played by people of color and that King George and maybe one other minor character, who are meant to represent the establishment, are to be played by white actors.

by Anonymousreply 164June 15, 2024 4:20 AM

Ben Platt's guest tonight was Nicole Scherzinger. They sang Shaiman's "Let Me Be Your Star".

by Anonymousreply 165June 15, 2024 4:32 AM

The casting calls for Hamilton ask for actors of color for the leads (except King George).

by Anonymousreply 166June 15, 2024 5:28 AM

Still waiting for Gypsy casting. I’m guessing Jason Sudeikis for Herbie.

by Anonymousreply 167June 15, 2024 11:16 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168June 15, 2024 11:45 AM

Herbie has never been cast with a major name: Jack Klugman (not famous at the time), John Dossett, Jonathan Hadary, Rex Robbins, Boyd Gaines, etc. So I can hardly see it attracting the likes of Sudekis or Giamatti.

by Anonymousreply 169June 15, 2024 12:27 PM

Boyd Gaines nearly came out of the grave to play Herbie!

by Anonymousreply 170June 15, 2024 12:32 PM

Didn't Boyd already have three Tony Awards by then?

by Anonymousreply 171June 15, 2024 12:35 PM

R169, mysteriously all of those productions had one very tasteful, smart and one very crass, loud-mouthed creative lurking around. This is the first Broadway Gypsy that will not include any of the original creators.

I think they actually are going to get a minor star for Herbie because it will elevate the production. Merman didn’t like anyone competing for the limelight, male or especially female, and it shows

by Anonymousreply 172June 15, 2024 12:42 PM

Herbie will be Paul Giamatti

Louise will be Keke Palmer

by Anonymousreply 173June 15, 2024 12:43 PM

r172 they are getting Paul Giamatti for Herbie

by Anonymousreply 174June 15, 2024 1:03 PM

Groff was at the gym yesterday—leg day. He looked a bit beefy. And pale.

by Anonymousreply 175June 15, 2024 1:03 PM

Sorry for the Post link, but Julie James and Richard Ridge CUT from the Tonys red carpet! The HORROR!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176June 15, 2024 1:17 PM

Re Herbie and Rose: I hope someday they cast with age-appropriate actors.

The real Rose was 20 and 22 when Louise and June were born, respectively.

Thus, she would be in her late twenties at the beginning of the musical.

Then in her thirties for the rest of Act 1 and most of Act 2.

And in her early forties at the end of the show.

The real Herbie (named Sam Gordon) was around her same age.

Both were also said to be attractive when young.

by Anonymousreply 177June 15, 2024 1:32 PM

The rumor about Giamatti has been pulled back, r174, at least by the cringy Sweaty Oracle, who says Herbie is now a former SNLer.

by Anonymousreply 178June 15, 2024 1:42 PM

Taran Killiam? He certainly has a history in musical theater.

by Anonymousreply 179June 15, 2024 1:48 PM

When Bette Midler did GYPSY on TV, Herbie was originally supposed to be Billy Crystal, who would have been perfect for the part. They ended up with Peter Riegert, who was fine. I guess they couldn't come to terms with Crystal, or maybe he decided the part wasn't meaty enough.

by Anonymousreply 180June 15, 2024 2:18 PM

It would be a waste of Taran’s comedy chops.

by Anonymousreply 181June 15, 2024 2:18 PM

[quote] Poor Lisa Mordente, to lose a mother and father within six months

It can’t be worse than appearing in Marlowe.

by Anonymousreply 182June 15, 2024 2:25 PM

Please don't let it be Fred Armisten as Herbie!!!

by Anonymousreply 183June 15, 2024 2:40 PM

Anything that keeps us from having to listen to Julie James is a humanitarian act.

by Anonymousreply 184June 15, 2024 2:48 PM

Look around, look around, R163.

by Anonymousreply 185June 15, 2024 3:07 PM

I wish Steve Martin or Billy Crystal would have played Herbie, maybe that would have helped reign in Midler.

She COULD have been good but she was so over the top.

Much like Dorothy Faye in Mommie Dearest

by Anonymousreply 186June 15, 2024 3:12 PM

[quote]I wish Steve Martin or Billy Crystal would have played Herbie, maybe that would have helped reign in Midler. She COULD have been good but she was so over the top.

Agreed, and also, the decision to have her sing much or all of the score live on set was unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 187June 15, 2024 3:20 PM

MIdler performed Rose's Turn at her concert at Radio City and it was brilliant, one of the best ever. So I was so looking forward to her in the TV production, Unfortunately, she wasn't very good and her Rose's Turn kind of sucked. Ah well...

by Anonymousreply 188June 15, 2024 3:26 PM

[quote]maybe that would have helped reign in Midler.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 189June 15, 2024 3:28 PM

[quote]Taran Killiam?

KILLAM

[quote]Fred Armisten

ARMISEN

by Anonymousreply 190June 15, 2024 3:29 PM

Michael Stuhlbarg for Herbie!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 191June 15, 2024 3:42 PM

[quote]Midler performed Rose's Turn at her concert at Radio City and it was brilliant, one of the best ever. So I was so looking forward to her in the TV production, Unfortunately, she wasn't very good and her Rose's Turn kind of sucked. Ah well...

Agreed on both counts.

by Anonymousreply 192June 15, 2024 3:51 PM

Lea Delaria IS Uncle Jocko!

by Anonymousreply 193June 15, 2024 3:59 PM

Make it a flashback and have Susan Olsen play grown up June!

by Anonymousreply 194June 15, 2024 4:02 PM

A bouquet of Roses...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195June 15, 2024 4:17 PM

I don’t know what that means r185 but I was asking if they ever vary ethnicities while hiring non-white. E.g., a black Hamilton or a Latiné Burr.

by Anonymousreply 196June 15, 2024 4:17 PM

The irony is that so much of Midler's Gypsy is perfect......except for Midler. Then again, if Tyne Daly had done it, it loses the musical element. I thought Peter Riegert was excellent and since he was a former boyfriend of Midler, they had good chemistry. The real standout, IMO was Cindy Gibb who is perfect throughout. One of the best moments in the movie is where Louise, now Gypsy walks to the stage and the others, Mazeppa in particular simply stand back in awe. A lady is indeed in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 197June 15, 2024 4:20 PM

R197. I agree about Gibb and the actress who played Dainty June was excellent but I thought Riegert was wooden and looked uncomfortable. And I usually love him. Midler looked possessed.

by Anonymousreply 198June 15, 2024 4:26 PM

She still does…

by Anonymousreply 199June 15, 2024 4:29 PM

That’s Dame Imelda to you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200June 15, 2024 4:31 PM

I think it's a great idea r193.

by Anonymousreply 201June 15, 2024 4:33 PM

They should have scrapped the TV version and filmed a film with Streisand in 1993.

by Anonymousreply 202June 15, 2024 4:34 PM

Is Vulture’s Jackson McHenry as much of an Addison deHalfwit as he seems in his theater “newsletter”?

[Quote] Welcome to our bonus, 100 percent accurate (don’t check that after the fact) predictions edition

[Quote] We’ll see you all there, after we go pick up our dry cleaning.

by Anonymousreply 203June 15, 2024 4:37 PM

[quote]The irony is that so much of Midler's Gypsy is perfect......except for Midler. Then again, if Tyne Daly had done it, it loses the musical element.

I think an even greater irony is that, actually, Tyne was also a better Rose than Midler in terms of the singing. It's acknowledged that Tyne does not sound good on the cast album of that production because she was in very poor voice for the recording sessions due to illness, and they couldn't or wouldn't reschedule the sessions. But when I saw the show, she sounded great, more secure than Midler. Access the link below and judge for yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204June 15, 2024 4:58 PM

You may agree or disagree with his view, but this is a thoughtful consideration of issue DL has not addressed satisfactorily in the past. I’ll otherwise keep my opinion to myself.

P.S. do you think he’s on DL?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205June 15, 2024 5:06 PM

R205, some of us definitely have addressed this issue on DL in the past. I'm glad for this Times article.

by Anonymousreply 206June 15, 2024 5:08 PM

Yes, but with great consternation and nastiness all around…. I don’t think the discourse has been very satisfactory in the grand scheme of things..anyway, I hope folks read the piece and give the issue some additional thought. That’s all.

by Anonymousreply 207June 15, 2024 5:12 PM

[quote]Yes, but with great consternation and nastiness all around

That's quite a generalization, R207, and I don't agree with it. At any rate, I'm glad for the Times article and glad that it was written by a black writer, which will hopefully allow readers to give it a lot of thought rather than rejecting it outright, as some people would have done if it had come from a white writer.

by Anonymousreply 208June 15, 2024 5:21 PM

The real tragedy of the Midler GYPSY is that she had Barbara Harris fired. Christine Ebersole (promoted from the role of Mr. Granzinger's assistant, which fell to Andrea Martin) was terrific as Tessie Tura, but . . . come on.

by Anonymousreply 209June 15, 2024 5:29 PM

They could try to make the whole story Rose's dramatic, totally delusional dream of her blacks kids succeeding in mainstream show biz in spite of the entrenched racism of the period. At the end she wakes up, sitting on a stool--Louise and June (still young) come on stage with brooms and and give one to Rose. The three of them start sweeping the stage, then a group of glamorous white actors including two little girls in fur coats walk across the stage talking about what a fabulous show they had just given, ignoring Rose and her daughters, the "help." It could be like "Mulholland Drive," with racism added to the mix.

by Anonymousreply 210June 15, 2024 5:47 PM

Nick Jonas and Adrienne Warren are set to discuss their returns to Broadway Monday on Good Morning America. Does this mean we've got our Tulsa and Louise?

by Anonymousreply 211June 15, 2024 6:12 PM

Besides Nick and Adrienne, this week's Broadway-centric guests or segments include Eddie Redmayne on Kelly & Mark on Tuesday and a look at Al Roker appearing in Back to the Future on Today's Wednesday broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 212June 15, 2024 6:19 PM

R211. When I saw this I thought Adrienne might have been cast as Louise. Or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213June 15, 2024 6:20 PM

[quote]Yes, but with great consternation and nastiness all around…. I don’t think the discourse has been very satisfactory in the grand scheme of things..

It's usually the extremists who have taken offense at anyone questioning colorblind casting and derailing the conversation by calling them 'racist' or 'rethugs' or 'rightwingers.'

by Anonymousreply 214June 15, 2024 6:20 PM

I assumed John McWhorter is gay, given his love of musicals; seems he is not.

by Anonymousreply 215June 15, 2024 6:37 PM

In some public appearance, Arthur Laurents said that Midler was exceptionally good as Rose in rehearsals, but when it came time for the actual performance she got cold feet and reverted to her old tricks.

by Anonymousreply 216June 15, 2024 6:40 PM

Speaking of Laurents, do we know if the new production has any leeway to futz with the book to accommodate the racial components of the book?

by Anonymousreply 217June 15, 2024 6:43 PM

McWhorter is fairly conservative, hence his perch at the Times, which exists to torture progressives. I

I don’t mean to suggest he’s a Republican or a Trump supporter, I don’t believe he is, but he’s pretty much a conservative culturally. I know he’s a stickler for grammar and syntax, he’s written a book about proper word usage and origins.

by Anonymousreply 218June 15, 2024 7:02 PM

[quote]but when it came time for the actual performance she got cold feet and reverted to her old tricks.

Therefore losing the Emmy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219June 15, 2024 7:05 PM

The Wikipedia entry on John McWhorter ends with this:

“Personal life McWhorter separated from his wife in 2019. He has two daughters. He plays the piano and has appeared in musical theater productions.”

Sounds like a coming out story in the making to me . . .

by Anonymousreply 220June 15, 2024 7:11 PM

R214 your point seems unclear

by Anonymousreply 221June 15, 2024 7:19 PM

R218 he’s a linguistics professor, get it ?

by Anonymousreply 222June 15, 2024 7:20 PM

R222 is he a cunning linguist?

by Anonymousreply 223June 15, 2024 7:26 PM

R220, he’s written extensively on his love for musicals, particularly those written by Stephen Sondheim. Make of that as you will, didn’t know he was separated, but I have always had a little crush.

by Anonymousreply 224June 15, 2024 7:42 PM

[quote]Speaking of Laurents, do we know if the new production has any leeway to futz with the book to accommodate the racial components of the book?

Now that he's dead, all bets are probably pretty much off. I'm guessing that David Saint, who's now in charge of the estate, will allow anything for the right price and considerations. I assume he had to approve the sale of the rights for the movie remake of WEST SIDE STORY, which eliminated almost all of the book Laurents wrote for the original.

by Anonymousreply 225June 15, 2024 7:57 PM

Actually, it hewed pretty close to the original. Changes were all the margins—nothing truly of substance or revolutionary.

by Anonymousreply 226June 15, 2024 8:00 PM

R226, if you're referring to the Spielberg-Kushner WEST SIDE STORY, the face remains that it contained almost no dialogue by Laurents, even if the characters and many of the plot elements were still basically his.

by Anonymousreply 227June 15, 2024 8:09 PM

And the first film’s script also deviated from the stage version…. That’s how movies work.

by Anonymousreply 228June 15, 2024 8:13 PM

It boggles my mind that a studio recording of a musical like GYPSY, no matter the expenses, could not delay the session(s), knowing full well that their star was not going to be able to give it her 100%. I mean, what is the point in preserving that?

by Anonymousreply 229June 15, 2024 8:14 PM

[quote]And the first film’s script also deviated from the stage version…. That’s how movies work.

I know. But, first of all, the vast majority of the dialogue in the first film version of WSS was originally written by Laurents for the stage version. And anyway, my main point was that, presumably, David Saint (who now controls the Laurents estate ) did not have to sign off to allow the Spielberg-Kushner version to use so many elements of WSS that were created by Laurents, even if almost none of his actual dialogue was used in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 230June 15, 2024 9:15 PM

[R72] or anyone—what exactly does “pro shot” mean? Does it mean it is being prepared for a filmed presentation, maybe for a streaming service and/or PBS, or could it simply be for the Lincoln Center archive?

by Anonymousreply 231June 15, 2024 9:16 PM

R229, I'm with you. Maybe they could have done what was done with Stritch and COMPANY, and recorded all of the orchestra tracks for Rose's songs in GYPSY at the previously scheduled sessions, then set up another session for Daly to come in and sing the songs when she was in her best voice.

by Anonymousreply 232June 15, 2024 9:18 PM

It means that it is produced with a crew, schedule, and planning to optimize the video with closeups, retakes, etc. Distinct from a bootleg, or from a fixed camera.

by Anonymousreply 233June 15, 2024 9:19 PM

R231, "pro-shot" in this case means shot for some sort of commercial availability. It does not refer to a Lincoln Center TOFT video, which I believe was previously made.

by Anonymousreply 234June 15, 2024 9:20 PM

Oh, and Lindsay was out again last night. I just post this when I know someone who posted about it on social media.

by Anonymousreply 235June 15, 2024 9:22 PM

Gayle Rankin out of both Cabaret performances today. Tony weekend!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 236June 15, 2024 9:22 PM

What recording is R229 referring to? Midler’s Gypsy?

by Anonymousreply 237June 15, 2024 9:27 PM

Grimaces of a Summer Night

by Anonymousreply 238June 15, 2024 9:28 PM

R72, R233, R234–Thanks. Also, this Monday, really? So much for staying up late celebrating their Tony wins.

by Anonymousreply 239June 15, 2024 9:29 PM

The deadline for voting was last night r236 so her being out is not so surprising.

by Anonymousreply 240June 15, 2024 9:43 PM

I hope that fat ox loses.

by Anonymousreply 241June 15, 2024 9:54 PM

We know, r241.

by Anonymousreply 242June 15, 2024 9:57 PM

r237, I was referring tp the cast recording of Tyne Daly's GYPSY, referenced upthread.

by Anonymousreply 243June 15, 2024 11:40 PM

I'm really confused about this supposed ban of press at the Tonys red carpet. Isn't the whole point for a red carpet for press? Or does this mean that there will be very select press present so that the Tonys can better control the narrative?

by Anonymousreply 244June 15, 2024 11:42 PM

They are banning the "minor" theater press, allowing the likes of Entertainment Tonight, People Mag, etc. who only want to star-fuck and don't care about this lyricist or that lighting designer.

by Anonymousreply 245June 16, 2024 12:26 AM

Ah, I see. Thanks, r245.

by Anonymousreply 246June 16, 2024 12:28 AM

A friend of mine just saw Mother Play. He said Jessica Lange was terrible and called for line at least five times.

by Anonymousreply 247June 16, 2024 12:47 AM

Have we stooped so low that we are reporting friends’ opinions? Back in the prime, Dataloungers used to actually see shows.

by Anonymousreply 248June 16, 2024 1:07 AM

Your only post in the thread, r247?

by Anonymousreply 249June 16, 2024 1:15 AM

Good to know r247

by Anonymousreply 250June 16, 2024 1:55 AM

McWhorter loves lyrics. An interview with him in his office showed a bookcase full of lyrics volumes: Porter, Hammerstein, Mercer, and of course SS.

Friends met him recently and reported he was with a girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 251June 16, 2024 2:20 AM

I thought McWhorter was married (to a woman). He went through a period where he was really touchy, almost homophobic, about gays. So many people made the assumption he was gay himself that it really bothered him.

by Anonymousreply 252June 16, 2024 4:20 AM

Saw the Encores! “Titanic” tonight. A stirring and surprisingly lovely evening, though one friend I saw it with thought it was “inert,” and said the movie handled the story of the ship so much better, and I was thinking “I cannot have this ridiculous discussion with you.”

by Anonymousreply 253June 16, 2024 5:41 AM

I understand they’ve cut the story about Jack and Rose for the stage adaptation.

by Anonymousreply 254June 16, 2024 6:16 AM

R253, it’s a shame that the set design of original production so totally missed the mark. Unfortunately, the movie and the musical came out about the same time. It was clear back then that the musical had a far smarter take on the material. Just like Yeston and Kopit’s Phantom was far smarter than the wildly successful but very stupid Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber,

The Titanic movie has not aged well. Now that the special effects seem less impressive, it remains one of the dumbest blockbusters and Best Pictures ever. Rant over.

by Anonymousreply 255June 16, 2024 10:18 AM

" Something Rotten" at the Stratford festival is first rate. Fun seeing it with an audience of Shakespeare and musical theater lovers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256June 16, 2024 2:49 PM

[Quote] I don’t mean to suggest he’s a Republican or a Trump supporter, I don’t believe he is, but he’s pretty much a conservative culturally. I know he’s a stickler for grammar and syntax, he’s written a book about proper word usage and origins.

So if you care about good grammar, you are a conservative? 🤦‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 257June 16, 2024 2:54 PM

What show ( other than their own) would Broadway actors love to be in?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258June 16, 2024 2:56 PM

Line!

by Anonymousreply 259June 16, 2024 3:17 PM

I was wrong. Nick Jonas and Adrienne Warren will star in The Last Five Years on Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260June 16, 2024 3:19 PM

Maybe Jeremy Jordan will replace Jonas when Gatsby closes, Beanie/Lea vibes.

Lovely Baayork Lee segment on CBS Sunday Morning. Turkey Lurkey Time had those girls at the chiropractor once a week!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261June 16, 2024 3:59 PM

JRB’s willingness to sell out has always eclipsed his demonstrable talent. There couldn’t be more desperate casting for Jamie than Nick Jonas. How interesting that this character is a stand-in for Brown himself.

by Anonymousreply 262June 16, 2024 4:02 PM

R261 Thanks—that’s what it’s all about!

by Anonymousreply 263June 16, 2024 4:44 PM

R261 loved it too.

by Anonymousreply 264June 16, 2024 4:46 PM

Sending a heartfelt congratulations to all the TONY nominees - there are many worthy nominees, it's always a little heartbreaking when only one wins. Good luck to everyone!

by Anonymousreply 265June 16, 2024 5:11 PM

Fuck off

by Anonymousreply 266June 16, 2024 5:22 PM

It's an honor to just be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 267June 16, 2024 5:48 PM

I couldn’t bring myself to vote for Sarah Paulson.

by Anonymousreply 268June 16, 2024 6:09 PM

Here she is, boys!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269June 16, 2024 6:13 PM

R269, her vaping explains why she was out of breath at the BAPHTAS

by Anonymousreply 270June 16, 2024 6:49 PM

How can someone who nobody is interested in be the busiest woman on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 271June 16, 2024 7:00 PM

I'm mystified by all the Ariana DeBose hatred. She did such a spectacular job, under extreme circumstances, when she hosted the Tonys during the writer's strike last year. And I think that deservedly earned her a tremendous amount of good will from the theater community, if not (obviously) from the bitches at DL.

by Anonymousreply 272June 16, 2024 7:15 PM

Agreed, r272. Team Ariana

by Anonymousreply 273June 16, 2024 7:32 PM

The nail that sticks up gets the hammer. —olde English proverb

by Anonymousreply 274June 16, 2024 7:35 PM

Please. Ariana Dubose is running on fumes. She's lucky she landed this gig. No one else is looking for her.

by Anonymousreply 275June 16, 2024 7:40 PM

The arse that sticks up gets nailed. —Olde DayaLoune proverb

by Anonymousreply 276June 16, 2024 7:41 PM

Will there be a separate Tony awards thread or will we continue here?

by Anonymousreply 277June 16, 2024 7:43 PM

Please continue, for continuity’s sake. And Ariana’s—

by Anonymousreply 278June 16, 2024 7:45 PM

A Golden Girls connection to Merrily We Roll Along. Enjoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279June 16, 2024 8:21 PM

Alicia Keys And Jay-Z Will Perform Tonight At 77th Annual Tony Awards:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280June 16, 2024 8:25 PM

R275, what's your damage? What a bitch you are!

by Anonymousreply 281June 16, 2024 8:28 PM

Sweetheart, you seem to have wandered into the wrong place.

by Anonymousreply 282June 16, 2024 8:30 PM

r281 - They'e a negative Nellie in their other posts as well.

by Anonymousreply 283June 16, 2024 8:54 PM

^They're

by Anonymousreply 284June 16, 2024 8:54 PM

Do we all think Merrily will be tonight's big winner?

by Anonymousreply 285June 16, 2024 9:16 PM

I think only Lindsey's tony is unsure

by Anonymousreply 286June 16, 2024 9:18 PM

I wonder how deep into the show tonight they will finally begin some of the performance categories.

by Anonymousreply 287June 16, 2024 9:21 PM

[quote]I think only Lindsey's tony is unsure

I'll say it again: If she gets the award, it may very well open up the floodgates for other performers to be very frequently absent from their shows (more than 70 times in Mendez's case) with no serious repercussions. We very well could see one more standard of professionalism fall by the wayside tonight.

by Anonymousreply 288June 16, 2024 9:25 PM

Will Chicago be closing within the next 12 months?

by Anonymousreply 289June 16, 2024 9:26 PM

R288. Or we could start giving the understudies a little Tony love.

by Anonymousreply 290June 16, 2024 9:28 PM

OH, NO, r288, OH, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

by Anonymousreply 291June 16, 2024 9:28 PM

The guys on the odds predictions site GoldDerby.com think Lindsay will win because they don't see Tony voters splitting their tickets so to speak. In other words, they don't believe voters will unanimously pick Groff and Radcliffe, and then snub Lindsay. They might have a point.

by Anonymousreply 292June 16, 2024 9:36 PM

Obviously GoldDerby.com does not know theatre queens.

by Anonymousreply 293June 16, 2024 9:38 PM

I'm seeing the show next week, I just hope at least 2 of the 3 are in the show

by Anonymousreply 294June 16, 2024 9:39 PM

R288 Hey, old friend. Are you okay, old friend?

by Anonymousreply 295June 16, 2024 9:40 PM

r295

I'm just calling old friend cuz you never show up old friend

by Anonymousreply 296June 16, 2024 9:45 PM

Here's to us. Who's like us.

by Anonymousreply 297June 16, 2024 9:47 PM

Old friend...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298June 16, 2024 9:48 PM

Audiences need to start pushing back. The NYT piece today saying that producers of musicals are trying to bank on big stars, small casts, and limited runs misses a pretty obvious point. What if the stars are out?

Refunds are not an adequate remedy if a) the run is short and it is hard of impossible to rebook and b) dynamic pricing means you may have to pay more for the same seat at another performance. The heroics of understudies do not justify paying a premium that producers are asking for these stars.

Lindsay Mendez is showing disrespect to audiences, but the producers are truly to blame.

by Anonymousreply 299June 16, 2024 9:54 PM

Thank you, r298. That was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 300June 16, 2024 9:55 PM

You're welcome, r300.

by Anonymousreply 301June 16, 2024 9:57 PM

If Cabaret wins Best Revival and/or Redmayne wins Best Actor then tomorrow nights audience might be pissed at seeing the first performance of the alternate Emcee. Couldn't Eddie wait a week to take his night off?

by Anonymousreply 302June 16, 2024 10:04 PM

How do Broadway contracts work? Is time off negotiated like in any other job?

by Anonymousreply 303June 16, 2024 10:05 PM

[quote]The guys on the odds predictions site GoldDerby.com think Lindsay will win because they don't see Tony voters splitting their tickets so to speak. In other words, they don't believe voters will unanimously pick Groff and Radcliffe, and then snub Lindsay. They might have a point.

Or....not.

[quote][R288] Hey, old friend. Are you okay, old friend?

I'm more than fine, because she didn't win :-)

by Anonymousreply 304June 17, 2024 3:46 AM

Onto next season—

Andrew Rannells Drops Out of Broadway's Tammy Faye

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305June 17, 2024 3:55 AM

Ted Cruz IS Jim Bakker.

by Anonymousreply 306June 17, 2024 12:17 PM

I'm available!

by Anonymousreply 307June 17, 2024 12:37 PM

Seems like the NYT didn't even do a new bulletin for the Tonys. I'm sure I got one every other year.

by Anonymousreply 308June 17, 2024 12:44 PM

Mother Play has closed?

by Anonymousreply 309June 17, 2024 12:51 PM

Rannells comments are surprisingly… forthright. I wonder what happened.

by Anonymousreply 310June 17, 2024 12:53 PM

Yes I’m surprised too that Rannells was so straight forward

by Anonymousreply 311June 17, 2024 12:58 PM

I mean, you can’t award someone who missed SEVENTY-TWO performances (again, 9 weeks of performances — or, 25% of the run), particularly when the performance is lazy. But when that narcissist (who never misses an appearance in front of the camera) dies the Stages podcast and laughs when she’s asked if she feels bad about missing so many shows, yeah, no prize.

Everything Mendez does is for Mendez. She never cared for the Sondheim fanatics who fly in from all over, got hotel rooms and purchased (very expensive) tickets. Fuck them. She has a hangnail.

She’s a complete hag and it’s awesome to see her disappointment when Kecia’s name is announced.

I know. Bitter MARY! But I’m one of those people who flew in to see her and got an understudy. Rearranging all that isn’t an option if you live as far as I do.

Then, when work sent me to NYC to manage a situation, I had the chance to see Merrily again. I got myself a ticket and there was no slip, no announcement in the lobby. Just the stage manager informing us AS THE LIGHTS WERE GOING DOWN, that she wasn’t going in. I missed her twice.

So, I realize I’m disproportionately bitter about her wild lack of professionalism — and the arrogance she put in its place.

But she’s a hag.

by Anonymousreply 312June 17, 2024 1:03 PM

R309. Limited run ended yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 313June 17, 2024 1:04 PM

[quote]I'm available! —K Spacey

I actually think that could work.

by Anonymousreply 314June 17, 2024 1:06 PM

I’m available for Tammy Faye!

by Anonymousreply 315June 17, 2024 1:55 PM

Spacey as Jim Baker? An inspired idea. Except for the, you know.

by Anonymousreply 316June 17, 2024 2:06 PM

R312. Do I HAVE to say it? She gave 75%. DUH!

by Anonymousreply 317June 17, 2024 2:13 PM

I think the "you know" is a component of the "inspired" part.

by Anonymousreply 318June 17, 2024 2:29 PM

Kev has played Jim before

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319June 17, 2024 2:31 PM

On Lifetime, no,less?!

by Anonymousreply 320June 17, 2024 2:33 PM

If Andrew Garfield wants a Tony, then this could be his chance.

by Anonymousreply 321June 17, 2024 2:52 PM

Right on, R312. I do find it hard to understand why Groff and Radcliffe apparently still love Mendez. I mean, I know Groff has a rep for somehow loving everyone, no matter how awful their behavior -- see also, Lea Michele -- but one would think there are limits and that Mendez had obviously exceeded them.

Also though my feelings about Maria Friedman are far more positive than they are about Mendez, I think it was only right that Friedman didn't win a Tony for her direction, because I do think it was overrated. I n my opinion, MERRILY won the awards it deserved to win last night, not the ones it didn't, and that makes me happy.

by Anonymousreply 322June 17, 2024 2:53 PM

He already has one, r321. Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 323June 17, 2024 2:53 PM

Ariana is a serviceable performer, but as host she doesn't exude much genuine warmth. She's always "on" in drag queen mode, which gets tiresome. And the opening number STUNK.

by Anonymousreply 324June 17, 2024 3:00 PM

Merrily winning is interesting because it means that - of the ten Sondheim shows from Company to Passion - only two have not won either Best Musical or Best Musical Revival. Pacific Overtures and Sunday in the Park with George,

by Anonymousreply 325June 17, 2024 3:07 PM

I typed too soon! Of course, Follies lost to Two Gentleman of Verona and then lost in both revivals.

by Anonymousreply 326June 17, 2024 3:08 PM

Sunday won the Pulitzer as a consolation prize.

by Anonymousreply 327June 17, 2024 3:17 PM

Yeah, r312, she even makes Jesus weep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328June 17, 2024 3:34 PM

[quote]I typed too soon! Of course, Follies lost to Two Gentleman of Verona and then lost in both revivals.

Which shows that the voters CAN get it right.

by Anonymousreply 329June 17, 2024 3:50 PM

Follies is the heartbreaker.

The Bernadette revival should have won but politics gave it to Porgy and Bess

by Anonymousreply 330June 17, 2024 4:22 PM

For an educated woman, Erivo is shockingly inarticulate. She continues to make ridiculous, blanket statements only to retreat with "out of context, that's not what I meant." If she were like 20, I'd understand it, but the bitch is 37. She also seems to have absolutely no sense of the appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 331June 17, 2024 4:23 PM

[quote]The Bernadette revival should have won but politics gave it to Porgy and Bess

That P&B was an abortion. The fact that it won a Tony was a crime, and yes, all about politics. Audra's win for that role was undeserved, as well.

by Anonymousreply 332June 17, 2024 7:38 PM

Yes the socialist cabal fixed the voting to squeeze out Bernie. 😵‍💫

by Anonymousreply 333June 17, 2024 7:42 PM

Most of Audra's wins were undeserved.

by Anonymousreply 334June 17, 2024 7:47 PM

Which most?

by Anonymousreply 335June 17, 2024 7:50 PM

Jeez, it would have been nice if the Tony Awards had made even a passing mention of who won Choreography, Costumes, Sets, and Lighting.

by Anonymousreply 336June 17, 2024 8:13 PM

Sophisticated Lady Old Friend…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337June 17, 2024 8:23 PM

[quote]only two have not won either Best Musical or Best Musical Revival. Pacific Overtures and Sunday in the Park with George

It's time for a revival of George with Jonathan Bailey, so the show can finally win a Tony for Best Revival and Jonathan can complete the EGOT.

by Anonymousreply 338June 17, 2024 8:35 PM

I don’t know why people care so much if Mendez is out. It’s not like she’s playing Evita or something. It’s a nothing role in a so-so musical. The Tony performance was so cringe with all their indicating…it was somehow over-staged even though there were only three people on stage. It just looked awkward and amateurish. The problem with Merrily is that the book is inert.

The only reason this production was a hit is because Harry Potter is in it. Groff won a Tony for Best Charm Offensive for what is otherwise a completely one-dimensional role. It was a triumph of casting.

by Anonymousreply 339June 17, 2024 8:38 PM

I wasn’t aware Jonathan Bailey has an Oscar, R338. Or an Emmy. Or even a Grammy.

by Anonymousreply 340June 17, 2024 8:39 PM

Please please me: Pacific Overtures at the Beaumont with the original designs and orchestrations. If they can't swing that, how about ALNM, again with the original designs, etc. I really don't ask for much.

by Anonymousreply 341June 17, 2024 8:40 PM

r340 He hasn't even been NOMINATED for any of those.

by Anonymousreply 342June 17, 2024 8:41 PM

[quote]The only reason this production was a hit is because Harry Potter is in it.

The only reason this production is on Broadway is because Harry Potter is in it.

by Anonymousreply 343June 17, 2024 8:48 PM

R340 It all happened in that one episode of Fellow Travelers that you overlooked.

by Anonymousreply 344June 17, 2024 8:55 PM

Putting it Together didn't win a Tony for best show, either.

by Anonymousreply 345June 17, 2024 8:59 PM

Best show of what?

by Anonymousreply 346June 17, 2024 9:03 PM

I'm just happy Tunick won a second Tony. Granted the revised Merrily orchestrations aren't his best work, but well deserved considering his career.

by Anonymousreply 347June 17, 2024 9:31 PM

His orchestrations for Goodtime Charley really were off the charts good.

by Anonymousreply 348June 17, 2024 10:03 PM

Eddie and Gayle both out of Cabaret tonite. Eddie's absence is a scheduled night off.

by Anonymousreply 349June 17, 2024 10:22 PM

For me the most egregious error of the night was the tribute to Chita that barely showed her dancing, while a host of wannabes were hoofing it onstage.

by Anonymousreply 350June 17, 2024 10:38 PM

Kiss of the Spider Woman: The Movie Musical should have dropped a teaser commercial during the Tony Awards.

by Anonymousreply 351June 17, 2024 10:44 PM

R342 + R344, see R338

by Anonymousreply 352June 17, 2024 11:19 PM

Anyone know what happened with TAMMY FAYE? Who will replace Rannells at this kind of late date?

My guesses : Bryce Pinkham, maybe someone from Heart of Rock n Roll

by Anonymousreply 353June 18, 2024 1:45 AM

Andy Karl wants it.

by Anonymousreply 354June 18, 2024 2:00 AM

[quote] Andy Karl wants it.

I'll take 50% of it if he does.

by Anonymousreply 355June 18, 2024 2:24 AM

She is also a total asshole to her understudies r312

by Anonymousreply 356June 18, 2024 2:42 AM

There are any number of more talented Broadway names that could replace Rannells: Brian d'Arcy James, Santino Fontana, Andy Karl, Gavin Creel, our sweet dear Malcom Gets......

by Anonymousreply 357June 18, 2024 2:44 AM

If it's true that Mendez is horrible to her understudies, that's unforgivable, especially under the circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 358June 18, 2024 2:45 AM

and Christian Borle!

Andrew will regret not accepting that offer.

by Anonymousreply 359June 18, 2024 2:45 AM

This goes back to her days at Wicked even. She is unkind and dismissive.

by Anonymousreply 360June 18, 2024 2:46 AM

Which of these shows is going to tour? HK for sure. Can the outsiders travel with a rain storm? Cabaret can’t be expecting to tour, right? Merrily?

by Anonymousreply 361June 18, 2024 2:46 AM

Details, R356. IMMEDIATELY.

by Anonymousreply 362June 18, 2024 2:48 AM

Outsiders is definitely touring as is HK. Suffs will be touring as well.

by Anonymousreply 363June 18, 2024 2:49 AM

[quote]Merrily?

It won best revival, r361, I can't imagine it won't get a tour.

by Anonymousreply 364June 18, 2024 2:58 AM

How does Mendez work as much as she does if she’s that rude? Not doubting it - just curious. Is she that talented?

by Anonymousreply 365June 18, 2024 3:00 AM

Darling, Nathan Lane has worked for more than 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 366June 18, 2024 3:03 AM

So are we agreed that next year’s Best Actress in a Musical nominees will be Audra, Kristin, Nicole, Megan and Jennifer?

by Anonymousreply 367June 18, 2024 3:16 AM

I mean, R366 has proven his point succinctly.

by Anonymousreply 368June 18, 2024 3:16 AM

With Audra returning to Broadway, I have doubled up on buying Chipotle stock.

by Anonymousreply 369June 18, 2024 3:30 AM

That Mendez is as young as she is but is already on her third marriage supports this notion that she treats people terribly.

by Anonymousreply 370June 18, 2024 3:49 AM

Someone at BroadwayWorld saying that Lindsay Mendez was out again this weekend. Huh. Just when Tony voting season had ended. Isn’t that…odd. Yet, true to form, was able to attend and perform on the Tonys. Because Lindsay never misses a TV appearance.

Assuming she only missed one performance this weekend, we’re now up to 73 missed shows.

by Anonymousreply 371June 18, 2024 5:22 AM

Anyone who takes Merrily out on tour without Harry Potter is a fool.

by Anonymousreply 372June 18, 2024 7:32 AM

[quote]With Audra returning to Broadway, I have doubled up on buying Chipotle stock.

That joke never gets stale.

by Anonymousreply 373June 18, 2024 7:43 AM

Unlike the Chipotle.

by Anonymousreply 374June 18, 2024 8:24 AM

Ralph Macchio is Charley

by Anonymousreply 375June 18, 2024 11:17 AM

Do stars do tours anymore?

by Anonymousreply 376June 18, 2024 11:25 AM

[quote]Do stars do tours anymore?

Do I count?

by Anonymousreply 377June 18, 2024 11:33 AM

Ian Mckellan apparently fell last night during a performance in London. From Reddit…

“I was there as well, in the balcony so saw the whole thing from above. He walked down towards the front of the stage and looked to slip after coming down the step. He fell with his arms reaching first head first off the stage.

Mine, and my partner’s, first thought was ‘wow, they made an 85 year old do a stage dive?’ But the lights came on and staff rushed out.

He called out ‘help, help’ and the (I assume) Stage manager or ASM came running out of the wing to help him, reassuring him saying ‘I’m here, I’m here, it’s okay, I’m here,’ to which he replied ‘help, my arms, my arms.’ There was no way to hide the fear in his voice.

I truly hope he is okay and can make a good recovery. He is a true legend and the play up until this point was absolutely incredible. One of the best pieces I have seen since pre-Covid.

They initially cleared the first 3 rows but quickly cleared the theatre, decision was made within a minute of the fall.”

by Anonymousreply 378June 18, 2024 11:36 AM

Doesn't seem as if he'll recover quickly.

by Anonymousreply 379June 18, 2024 11:47 AM

Stop making OLD people walk around in the dark, idiots!

by Anonymousreply 380June 18, 2024 12:07 PM

What play is Ian in?

by Anonymousreply 381June 18, 2024 12:22 PM

Google it

by Anonymousreply 382June 18, 2024 12:22 PM

That’s as odd name for a play.

by Anonymousreply 383June 18, 2024 12:33 PM

Per The Hollywood Reporter and the BBC,, Sir Ian is fine and in good spirits after his tumble. A scan was done and he is expected ro make a “full and speedy recovery” and (rather remarkably) will return to “Player Kings” by the Wednesday matinee. We’ll see.

by Anonymousreply 384June 18, 2024 1:00 PM

[quote]How does Mendez work as much as she does if she’s that rude? Not doubting it - just curious. Is she that talented?

Not exceptionally talented, also not very attractive, to say the least. All of which makes it astounding that producers are willing to put up with rude behavior AND, even more seriously, the fact that she misses SO MANY performances. I guess one thing she has going for her is that she's Latina, but you would think that would carry her only so far. Will be interesting to see how her career progresses now that her antics in calling out constantly have been publicized. Maybe she'll only get work in TV and film?

by Anonymousreply 385June 18, 2024 1:27 PM

Mendez is a narcissist. She was able to put together (and attend!) her wedding. It was held in a Monday and she made sure Radcliffe and Geoff played a part. Oh! And she made sure the NYTimes was there.

Then, she called off the show the next day. Knowing she’d already missed 50+ performances at the time. She cares not one iota for the audience, how disappointed they might be, how much money they’d invested in airfare, hotel, and the OUTRAGEOUS ticket price.

She clearly hired a publicist because after the nominations came out, there were stories everywhere. One of which was all about working while pregnant, something millions of American women do every day, without pomp or circumstance.

Also, she claims to be working while pregnant — but don’t you have to show up to be “working”?

by Anonymousreply 386June 18, 2024 2:03 PM

Bye bye, The Heart of Rock & Roll.

I want to console Cory Cott quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 387June 18, 2024 2:07 PM

I just posted this on the Tonys thread:

Someone on Facebook joked that, when they get a friend request, they ask that person to tell them who Antoinette Perry was before they accept. I'm thinking that as of today, or maybe at least as of a few weeks from now, that person will be able to change the question to: "Who was Lindsay Mendez?"

by Anonymousreply 388June 18, 2024 2:13 PM

R367 you forgot Idina Menzel and Adrienne Warren for Last Five Years. Plus Bernadette could get a legend nomination for the Sondheim show.

by Anonymousreply 389June 18, 2024 2:18 PM

[quote]Per The Hollywood Reporter and the BBC,, Sir Ian is fine and in good spirits after his tumble. A scan was done and he is expected ro make a “full and speedy recovery” and (rather remarkably) will return to “Player Kings” by the Wednesday matinee.

You mean he actually cares about performing for the people who paid to see him? What a fool.

by Anonymousreply 390June 18, 2024 2:24 PM

[QUOTE] Google it

Thanks, you unfuckable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 391June 18, 2024 2:25 PM

And possibly Katie Brayden for Tammy Faye, R367 and R389.

by Anonymousreply 392June 18, 2024 2:30 PM

D'oh! I meant Katie Brayben.

by Anonymousreply 393June 18, 2024 2:30 PM

R388 it was lame the first time

by Anonymousreply 394June 18, 2024 2:31 PM

Huey Lewis Broadway Musical ‘Heart Of Rock And Roll” Announces Closing After Weeks Of Struggle At Box Office:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395June 18, 2024 2:44 PM

So one person randomly claims Mendez is rude and everyone else, except for one person (thank you r362), just runs with it as though it's fact?

by Anonymousreply 396June 18, 2024 3:12 PM

There's no way that Lindsey is the terror that some of you are making her out to be. She seems fun and delightful here. She's good friends here with Katie Rose Clarke and Derek Klena.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397June 18, 2024 3:24 PM

She may not be rude, but the camera angle or green makeup certainly doesn’t do her any favors R397

by Anonymousreply 398June 18, 2024 3:34 PM

Not defending Mendez's absences at all, but I disagree that her performance was "not all that. " After seeing Merrily early on , I told a friend that she for me was the biggest reason this revival worked. She brought a warmth and humor that I had not seen before. I'm sorry for whatever demons haunt her, and I suspect they cost her the Tony, but the show is probably less than when she calls out.

by Anonymousreply 399June 18, 2024 3:53 PM

You think she’s gonna be her true self when there’s a camera around? Come on.

by Anonymousreply 400June 18, 2024 4:15 PM

R400 what are you insinuating?

by Anonymousreply 401June 18, 2024 4:39 PM

R401 Every now and then, it dawns on me that Rosie was once considered the queen of nice.

by Anonymousreply 402June 18, 2024 5:09 PM

I saw Mendez’ understudy when I attended “Merrily,” and having seen Mendez with her co-stars at the Tonys and in clips from their appearances on chat shows, there is no comparison, she lifted all the scenes she sang in. Though clearly a poor third to the other two, she has the kind of presence that made it a true threesome, the warmth and humor R399 mentions.

None of that excuses her complete lack of professionalism, but she ‘s good, there’s no taking that away from her.

by Anonymousreply 403June 18, 2024 5:46 PM

[QUOTE] I saw Mendez’ understudy

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 404June 18, 2024 5:55 PM

FYI, all Encores! productions next season will have a 7:30 curtain. The shows are URINETOWN, LOVE LIFE and THE WILD PARTY.

by Anonymousreply 405June 18, 2024 6:29 PM

Love Life???

Finally

by Anonymousreply 406June 18, 2024 6:46 PM

[quote] I just posted this on the Tonys thread:

And, r388, you thought is was [ital] so [/ital] good you had to post it twice?

by Anonymousreply 407June 18, 2024 6:48 PM

[bold] New rules for the new season

1. Back-and-forth debate between two posters shall comprise no more than two entries apiece of direct address. At that point, declare a truce, agree to disagree, and move on with your lives or the facsimiles thereof that you maintain.

2. The discussion of Lindsey Mendez’s attendance record is no longer an acceptable topic. Honestly, it was never interesting and now there is nothing new to say on the subject, thus disqualifying it as gossip. (See also The Jan Maxwell Manhattan Plaza rule.)

3. Discussion of race and gender identity, as they relate to casting and awards eligibility or alleged favoritism shall be subject to review by the PPPG (Pretty Pretty Princess Governance) board, since these topics are politically fraught. Truly dangerous bigotry and prejudice are real fears right now and therefore definitively not entertaining. They are not welcome here.

4. Bernadette‘s Gypsy was adequate. Yes, the Tony performance was better, perhaps, than her quotidian efforts. The reverse may be true of Imelda's Rose.

And, scene.

by Anonymousreply 408June 18, 2024 6:56 PM

R408, that was a lot of work for such little result.

by Anonymousreply 409June 18, 2024 6:59 PM

Lucky for Madeleine Kahn the internet wasn't around during her run in On the Twentieth Century, or she would have been raked over the coals for her attendance record.

by Anonymousreply 410June 18, 2024 6:59 PM

So if Merrily tours (and I hope it does) who should/could be cast? I doubt the current leads will do the tour. Will it need known stars to sell it or is the show itself enough? Since they were mentioned upthread, how about Santino Fontana and Gavin Creel?

by Anonymousreply 411June 18, 2024 7:04 PM

I don't think Lindsay Mendez was any better or worse than some of the others I've seen in that role, including Ann Morrison in the original, Amy Ryder in the 1990s revival, or Miriam Shor in the Kennedy Center production (who I think was the best, even making that Act 1 drunk scene at the party work, and getting a big laugh on "Now I won't be invited back.") It's sort of a can't-miss role. Radcliffe is fine. Krystal Joy Brown less than fine. (Maybe the worst Gussie ever?) I think where this production scored is with its focus on Frank, and the charismatic performance from Jonathan Groff, which made the character less of a cipher than usual.

by Anonymousreply 412June 18, 2024 7:07 PM

Thanks, r409, author of

[quote] Horrible start to the Tonys. Another lousy performance They just insist on filling all these award shows with so much crap Cut her off. Oh shit... another lousy performance What a terrible acceptance speech Shut up and get off the stage Another lousy performance This is horrible Another lousy performance A horrendous performance Awful!

by Anonymousreply 413June 18, 2024 7:54 PM

"Merrily" being filmed:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414June 18, 2024 8:19 PM

Are posters always so bitchy in this thread?

by Anonymousreply 415June 18, 2024 8:37 PM

[quote]Are posters always so bitchy in this thread?

Yes

by Anonymousreply 416June 18, 2024 8:46 PM

Where was Charlie Williams Sunday night? You could always count on seeing him as a chorus boy on the Tonys (and nearly every other event that required dancers).

by Anonymousreply 417June 18, 2024 8:50 PM

Gee, I wonder if Mendez will miss the performance tonight….

Missing. It’s just LUCK that she’s always able to do film and tv appearances. Right? Because she never seems to be sick for those. It’s just coincidence, right?

by Anonymousreply 418June 18, 2024 8:59 PM

I thought once Lindsay lost the Tony the other night, the hate might stop. Guess I was wrong...

by Anonymousreply 419June 18, 2024 9:22 PM

I just love Lindsay. She should have won the other night. Excellent performer!

by Anonymousreply 420June 18, 2024 9:29 PM

R408 = Matinee Usher

by Anonymousreply 421June 18, 2024 9:29 PM

[quote] Thanks, [R409], author of

[quote] Horrible start to the Tonys. Another lousy performance They just insist on filling all these award shows with so much crap Cut her off. Oh shit... another lousy performance What a terrible acceptance speech Shut up and get off the stage Another lousy performance This is horrible Another lousy performance A horrendous performance Awful!

Wrong. I did not write that comment. I didn't even watch the show and have not made *any* comments on the quality of it. Learn how to stalk properly if that's going to be your thing, you dumb fuck.

by Anonymousreply 422June 18, 2024 9:48 PM

R423 Some of the worst DL queens think any posts they don't agree with come from the same poster

by Anonymousreply 423June 18, 2024 9:51 PM

r418 - yawn

by Anonymousreply 424June 18, 2024 9:54 PM

I think Lindsay Mendez is the best thing to ever happen on Broadway. The quality of her work and professionalism is phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 425June 18, 2024 9:56 PM

R425 - Sara Porkalob

by Anonymousreply 426June 18, 2024 9:59 PM

I heard Mendez slapped and threw things at the crew as they were trying to put her wig on.

by Anonymousreply 427June 18, 2024 10:19 PM

Apparently, someone gave Mendez a salad for lunch and she threw it on the floor. She was watching her weight and said the salad would be better on the floor than in her hand

by Anonymousreply 428June 18, 2024 10:24 PM

Lindsey Mendez had me fired from Hit The Sky.

by Anonymousreply 429June 18, 2024 10:27 PM

Lindsay Mendez ate a meatball right off the floor.

by Anonymousreply 430June 18, 2024 10:28 PM

In another incident, Mendez knocked Maria Friedman to the floor while screaming at her for her "amateur direction" of Merrily

by Anonymousreply 431June 18, 2024 10:31 PM

What most people don't realize is that Lindsay's absences are not related to her pregnancy at all. In fact, she's been suspended from Merrily multiple times for disruptive, violent behavior behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 432June 18, 2024 10:39 PM

Well, this thread has devolved into shit.

by Anonymousreply 433June 18, 2024 10:47 PM

R414, my first thought at that news is that Richard Linklater is going to be pissed, but then I remembered that his film won't be out until some people here are 6 feet under.

I agree with the poster above about Miriam Schor as Mary. She nailed the part, though I did like Mendez.

by Anonymousreply 434June 18, 2024 10:48 PM

Anyone think Linklater's already filmed footage of Merrily will be leaked way before it's released?

by Anonymousreply 435June 18, 2024 10:50 PM

Ian McKellan hospitalized after fall. Didn't think an 85-year-old could fall from a stage and cry out Helo Me! in pain would just hop right back to work as if he had stubbed his toe.

by Anonymousreply 436June 18, 2024 10:57 PM

[quote]Anyone think Linklater's already filmed footage of Merrily will be leaked way before it's released?

With Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein in it, I hope not. We don’t want to see their performances.

by Anonymousreply 437June 18, 2024 10:58 PM

I’m still hoping Beanie gets replaced.

by Anonymousreply 438June 18, 2024 11:21 PM

[quote]4. Bernadette‘s Gypsy was adequate. Yes, the Tony performance was better, perhaps, than her quotidian efforts. The reverse may be true of Imelda's Rose.

Imelda did "Gypsy" at the Tonys?

by Anonymousreply 439June 19, 2024 12:04 AM

The best part of the Tonys was the huge embrace shared between Jonathan Groff and Harry Potter after the former's name was called for Best Actor in a Musical. There was so much love and emotion between the two.

by Anonymousreply 440June 19, 2024 12:45 AM

[quote]There was so much love and emotion between the two.

And it wasn’t the first time.

by Anonymousreply 441June 19, 2024 12:56 AM

R441 You think Potter has a big dick?

by Anonymousreply 442June 19, 2024 12:58 AM

Lindsay Mendez hit me in the head with a fondue pot.

by Anonymousreply 443June 19, 2024 12:59 AM

r367not necessarily. You are missing Idina, Sutton (doubt it) , whomever is playing Tammy Faye and also Jasmine Amy Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 444June 19, 2024 1:01 AM

r367 not necessarily. You are missing Idina, Sutton (doubt it) , whomever is playing Tammy Faye and also Jasmine Amy Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 445June 19, 2024 1:02 AM

r397 there is a camera on her so she seems delightful. Yes she is friends with Katie Rose Clarke and Derek Klena. Ask ensemble members and her understudies about her.

by Anonymousreply 446June 19, 2024 1:04 AM

[quote]You think Potter has a big dick?

I think they both know their way around a double headed dildo.

by Anonymousreply 447June 19, 2024 1:23 AM

A Pete & Chasten kinda thing

by Anonymousreply 448June 19, 2024 1:27 AM

[quote]—I’ve seen Groff’s bare ass at the gym

Were there belt grooves on it?

by Anonymousreply 449June 19, 2024 1:29 AM

Pale. More pale than the Pale of Settlement. ;

by Anonymousreply 450June 19, 2024 1:39 AM

R443, I assume it was empty?

by Anonymousreply 451June 19, 2024 1:42 AM

This production of Merrily belongs at Carnegie Mellon. Truly mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 452June 19, 2024 1:49 AM

Is it USC bad, or UCLA bad?

by Anonymousreply 453June 19, 2024 2:02 AM

Anyone who thinks that the current Gussie is bad (and she's certainly not very good) hasn't seen/heard the original, who was mind-blowingly awful.

by Anonymousreply 454June 19, 2024 2:04 AM

[quote]hasn't seen/heard the original, who was mind-blowingly awful.

Which is probably why they took away her song.

by Anonymousreply 455June 19, 2024 3:42 AM

r442 We saw it in "Equus."

by Anonymousreply 456June 19, 2024 3:54 AM

Radcliffe brought a lot of “li’l bro” energy to that hug.

by Anonymousreply 457June 19, 2024 6:25 AM

[quote]Anyone think Linklater's already filmed footage of Merrily will be leaked way before it's released?

Anybody else besides me think that movie is never going to be completed?

by Anonymousreply 458June 19, 2024 7:08 AM

Can we just have one thread devoted entirely to Lindsay Mendez's unprofessional behavior? Oh, wait. We already have one, and this is it.

by Anonymousreply 459June 19, 2024 7:10 AM

[quote]I’m still hoping Beanie gets replaced.

By Lindsay Mendez?

by Anonymousreply 460June 19, 2024 7:11 AM

By Trish Hawkins

by Anonymousreply 461June 19, 2024 7:19 AM

[quote]Anybody else besides me think that movie is never going to be completed?

I have a feeling it will be because of Paul Mescal. His career is climbing and in 20 years is he going to want to be associated with a Sondheim musical?

But then again, maybe they’ll just complete the film with AI.

I also wonder how it will look if anyone has facial work done (Beanie and Ben both seem like people who would have extensive nips, tucks, and Botox).

by Anonymousreply 462June 19, 2024 12:58 PM

Really? You think Beanie and Ben are people concerned with their appearance?

by Anonymousreply 463June 19, 2024 12:59 PM

A before and after Ozempic for Beanie’s Mary could be a selling point. One the other hand, she will probably look even uglier thin.

by Anonymousreply 464June 19, 2024 1:00 PM

[quote]A before and after Ozempic for Beanie’s Mary could be a selling point. One the other hand, she will probably look even uglier thin.

But that goes against nature. The majority of people gain weight as they age because metabolism slows down. Even in the story, all three of them go from starving artist to comfortable success, so she would be drinking more alcohol and “eating her feelings.”

by Anonymousreply 465June 19, 2024 1:09 PM

And I shall - what the fuck!!!

by Anonymousreply 466June 19, 2024 2:08 PM

‘Eureka Day’ Sets Broadway Cast:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467June 19, 2024 3:43 PM

God, that play sounds insufferable. Haven't we been tortured enough with The Thanksgiving Play?

by Anonymousreply 468June 19, 2024 3:59 PM

I've never been to Carnegie Hall before... what is the dress code? Their website says be comfortable but it's fucking supposed to be in the 90s tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 469June 19, 2024 7:09 PM

Please—people wear jorts and Crocs at Lincoln Center these days…just don’t look too stupid and you’ll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 470June 19, 2024 7:15 PM

[quote]R381 What play is Ian McKellen in?

[quote]R382 Google it

[quote]R383 That’s as odd name for a play.

The musical will be [italic]Google It!, [/italic]with an exclamation mark.

by Anonymousreply 471June 19, 2024 7:27 PM

Sounds like The Outsiders is not having a great week.

by Anonymousreply 472June 19, 2024 7:29 PM

So, Google It !!

by Anonymousreply 473June 19, 2024 7:30 PM

[quote]The musical will be Google It!, with an exclamation mark.

And it will have a freewheeling keyboard number.

by Anonymousreply 474June 19, 2024 7:31 PM

[quote]R386 Mendez cares not one iota for the audience, how disappointed they might be, how much money they’d invested in airfare, hotel, and the OUTRAGEOUS ticket price.

Beanie aside, I’d think most costars would want to perform with the original actor, not an understudy. That’s who they signed on to perform with and spent weeks in rehearsal alongs …. not some Charlie Nobody.

by Anonymousreply 475June 19, 2024 7:34 PM

In case anyone is keeping track, Lindsey will be out tonite.

by Anonymousreply 476June 19, 2024 10:02 PM

R476: At this point, she should just leave the production early.

by Anonymousreply 477June 19, 2024 10:08 PM

[quote] Lindsey will be out tonite.

Bitch stole my act!

by Anonymousreply 478June 19, 2024 10:09 PM

r476

I bet she was in last night when they were filming

by Anonymousreply 479June 19, 2024 10:10 PM

It’s only running for three more weeks. Of course, she’ll only perform the equivalent of two more weeks.

by Anonymousreply 480June 19, 2024 10:10 PM

What is Jonathan Groff holding? Is it the Tony in a box? And Lindsey is there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481June 19, 2024 11:02 PM

Tim Draxl needs to present hole onstage in the current Australian production of Sunset Boulevard to increase box office receipts. And I’m quite positive he’s perfectly willing to do that.

by Anonymousreply 482June 19, 2024 11:05 PM

R482, it’s a tape recorder. In the plotline of the show, the characters are outside the theater where the show they have written is having its opening night. They get excited and sing about it, including a section where they fantasize about winning the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 483June 19, 2024 11:10 PM

They taped his presented hole? I’m confused!

by Anonymousreply 484June 19, 2024 11:12 PM

She managed to be there last night for Jonathan Groff’s latest Tony breakdown sobbing which happened mid-show.

by Anonymousreply 485June 19, 2024 11:13 PM

R484, ha! Yes - the explanation was meant for r481.

by Anonymousreply 486June 19, 2024 11:28 PM

[quote]In case anyone is keeping track, Lindsey will be out tonite.

At this point wouldn't it be simpler to note when she'll be IN?

by Anonymousreply 487June 20, 2024 12:11 AM

Security should collect her from her place of residence each evening and frogmarch her through the streets to the theater.

by Anonymousreply 488June 20, 2024 12:18 AM

Interesting....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489June 20, 2024 12:20 AM

Are understudies paid more when they actually go on, or is it just a flat weekly salary, either way?

by Anonymousreply 490June 20, 2024 12:20 AM

I wonder how The Outsiders team will respond to the abuse allegations.

by Anonymousreply 491June 20, 2024 12:21 AM

I don't know, r490, but I think they'd deserve something extra.

by Anonymousreply 492June 20, 2024 12:23 AM

Understudies receive bonuses when they perform.

by Anonymousreply 493June 20, 2024 12:31 AM

Who is the best host in the last 20 years or so?

Rosie?

WEHT to her hosting by the way?

by Anonymousreply 494June 20, 2024 12:32 AM

That reddit thread is full on exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 495June 20, 2024 12:32 AM

Damn this outsiders thing seems messy.

by Anonymousreply 496June 20, 2024 12:38 AM

HRc doesn’t get mad, she gets even. OutsiderGate!

by Anonymousreply 497June 20, 2024 12:42 AM

Get Stephen Colbert to host.

by Anonymousreply 498June 20, 2024 12:44 AM

Both Brody Grant and his understudy suddenly being out all week does seem odd.

by Anonymousreply 499June 20, 2024 1:00 AM

R499: I’m not saying the assault allegations aren’t at play but it is common for stars of shows to take off after the Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 500June 20, 2024 1:03 AM

He’s not hot enuf—no one cares

by Anonymousreply 501June 20, 2024 1:49 AM

Rosie was easily the best host of the Tonys ever, with Hugh Jackman a close second.

by Anonymousreply 502June 20, 2024 1:54 AM

Angie was the best. Neil Patrick acquitted himself nicely.

by Anonymousreply 503June 20, 2024 2:17 AM

Angela Lansbury and Nathan Lane were also both excellent hosts.

by Anonymousreply 504June 20, 2024 2:20 AM

Being the host of the Tony Awards is a real grind.

First, because nobody is watching

Second, because you have to be more talented than anyone who has been nominated for the award

Third, you’ll get the stinkeye if the ratings are down

Fourth, you can’t smirk when somebody says something stupid

Fifth, you have to look just as fresh and energetic as you were five hours ago when this slog started

by Anonymousreply 505June 20, 2024 2:22 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506June 20, 2024 2:23 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507June 20, 2024 2:24 AM

My vote for best-ever Tony host goes to Nathan Lane in 1996.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508June 20, 2024 3:07 AM

Eddie Redmayne can’t hold a candle to this dame’s rendition of “Wilkommen.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509June 20, 2024 4:20 AM

Louisa's IBDb

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510June 20, 2024 4:32 AM

[quote]I bet she was in last night when they were filming.

You think so? Fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 511June 20, 2024 9:59 AM

[quote] Not exceptionally talented, also not very attractive, to say the least.

The use of Nathan Lane as an example doesn’t work, because Lane is, and always has been, blazingly talented. No one can do what he does, as The Producers proved. It’s worth putting up with someone like that who really delivers the goods.

Mendez - who can explain that?

by Anonymousreply 512June 20, 2024 11:18 AM

“Take a chance. Hire the fat, smart girl.”

by Anonymousreply 513June 20, 2024 2:59 PM

[quote]I have a feeling it will be because of Paul Mescal. His career is climbing and in 20 years is he going to want to be associated with a Sondheim musical?

You're assuming he won't be a flash in the pan.

He might not even have a career in twenty years.

by Anonymousreply 514June 20, 2024 3:43 PM

I've never understood the adulation for Nathan Lane. All shtick and chewed scenery.

by Anonymousreply 515June 20, 2024 4:08 PM

I can’t believe both Andrew Garfield and Nathan won Tonys for Angels in America.

by Anonymousreply 516June 20, 2024 4:12 PM

R515 - Vicky Clark

by Anonymousreply 517June 20, 2024 7:18 PM

There must be a Follies dress rehearsal today. Maybe we’ll get an advance report.

by Anonymousreply 518June 20, 2024 7:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519June 20, 2024 7:34 PM

R518

Wouldn’t the dress rehearsal have been last night since the actual concert is tonight

by Anonymousreply 520June 20, 2024 9:16 PM

[quote]I've never understood the adulation for Nathan Lane. All shtick and chewed scenery.

I couldn't agree more, but try working with him. And DL-ers call Lindsay Mendez rude.

by Anonymousreply 521June 20, 2024 9:57 PM

Is Lindsay back on stage tonight? Didn't see today's update.

by Anonymousreply 522June 20, 2024 10:25 PM

🎲 roll

by Anonymousreply 523June 20, 2024 10:27 PM

Reading all the rave reports on Broadway World for Cats-The Jellicle Ball, I decided to get a cheap ticket for this weekend. There’s a discount code “queercats” if you’re also tempted.

by Anonymousreply 524June 20, 2024 11:10 PM

I have sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 525June 20, 2024 11:13 PM

Swept Away - previews begin October 29th and opening night is November 19th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526June 20, 2024 11:15 PM

R524, I’m a little jealous. Super hot Sydney James Harcourt Is playing Rum Tum Dugger. He dances in a speedo and is Mister Mistoffelees‘ boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 527June 20, 2024 11:16 PM

R526 Lina Wertmuller did it better.

by Anonymousreply 528June 20, 2024 11:21 PM

I'm an elder DL gay so am not up on all the groups but I've never heard of the Avett Brothers,

by Anonymousreply 529June 20, 2024 11:36 PM

Nathan Lane isn’t nearly as miserable as he used to be. He got sober and is extremely happy in his marriage, and has eased up a lot. He’s not the easiest to deal with, but he’s not bad and not the miserable monster he was before.

by Anonymousreply 530June 20, 2024 11:36 PM

Nathan also wasn’t known for missing shows.

by Anonymousreply 531June 20, 2024 11:43 PM

I never missed a show, and I played every performance of the long-running "Deathtrap"!

by Anonymousreply 532June 20, 2024 11:47 PM

Faith Prince in that Here’s to the Ladies book by Eddie Shapiro had nice things to say about Nathan…but sad she had a horrible relationship with Harvey Fierstein in A Catered Affair…so make of that what you will.

by Anonymousreply 533June 20, 2024 11:55 PM

[quote]I never missed a show, and I played every performance of the long-running "Deathtrap"! —Marian Seldes, trouper

I know this is true, but can you imagine not taking a vacation or leaving NYC for FOUR years.

by Anonymousreply 534June 20, 2024 11:56 PM

Nathan and Harvey are two sides of the same cunt.

by Anonymousreply 535June 20, 2024 11:56 PM

Ah…R534 you don’t get it ….she never missed a show she was scheduled to play. That’s different from official time away.

by Anonymousreply 536June 21, 2024 12:32 AM

So, now that The Heart of Rock and Roll is closing, which one becomes the next show to keep an eye on, Tommy or Water for Elephants?

by Anonymousreply 537June 21, 2024 12:45 AM

Water for Elephants is doing better than Suffs or Tommy. But, unless a limited run closes early, these three look to be the next to close. My guess that, sooner or later, is they all announce for Labor Day closings.

by Anonymousreply 538June 21, 2024 1:04 AM

R538: Suffs is doing better than I thought it would and it did win score and book. However, I don’t think those wins will move the needle that much and I just don’t see it being a huge tourist attraction this Summer and Fall. I think a January closing date for Suffs is wishful thinking and a Labor Day end date is more likely.

by Anonymousreply 539June 21, 2024 1:10 AM

[quote]Ah…[R534] you don’t get it ….she never missed a show she was scheduled to play. That’s different from official time away.

So she got put in the Guinness Book of World Records for not taking a sick day? Big fucking deal! I’ve done that with jobs I’ve had.

by Anonymousreply 540June 21, 2024 2:13 AM

Didn’t we already have Swept Away? It was called The Last Ship…

by Anonymousreply 541June 21, 2024 2:49 AM

Not only will those 2 Tonys Suffs won not sell any tickets, the number they did on the Tonys is making ticket buyers ask if they can get refunds on the tickets they've already bought.

by Anonymousreply 542June 21, 2024 3:10 AM

Follies was fucking awesome

by Anonymousreply 543June 21, 2024 3:25 AM

It was no Step to the Rear, r542....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544June 21, 2024 3:28 AM

Thanks for the pull quote, r543, now spill.

by Anonymousreply 545June 21, 2024 3:32 AM

R513 we tried that with Beanie.

by Anonymousreply 546June 21, 2024 3:49 AM

QUEER NON BINARY CATS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547June 21, 2024 3:49 AM

Don't spill. There is another separate thread for Follies. Spare the disinterested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548June 21, 2024 5:29 AM

[quote]I know this is true, but can you imagine not taking a vacation or leaving NYC for FOUR years.

That reminds me of an episode of SEX AND THE CITY, where Carrie takes offense at being called insular because she rarely leaves Manhattan, which she thinks is the center of the universe.

by Anonymousreply 549June 21, 2024 7:43 AM

The Follies concert was low-key epic. Best in show was Jennifer Holliday’s “I’m Still Here.” Just WOW.

by Anonymousreply 550June 21, 2024 7:55 AM

You already posted that on the thread devoted to the Follies concert.

by Anonymousreply 551June 21, 2024 12:25 PM

Jennifer Holliday is a Stella not a Carlotta.

by Anonymousreply 552June 21, 2024 12:34 PM

[QUOTE] You already posted that on the thread devoted to the Follies concert.

It was before I knew that there WAS a thread devoted to the Follies concert. Jealous you weren’t there much?

by Anonymousreply 553June 21, 2024 1:30 PM

[quote] It was before I knew that there WAS a thread devoted to the Follies concert.

Gosh, if only you had looked at the post right above yours which provided the link.

by Anonymousreply 554June 21, 2024 2:31 PM

[quote]You already posted that on the thread devoted to the Follies concert.

Oh my God, it's worse than Gaza!

by Anonymousreply 555June 21, 2024 3:21 PM

[QUOTE] Gosh, if only you had looked at the post right above yours which provided the link. It was fucking 4AM, you stupid Nazi hall monitor cunt!

by Anonymousreply 556June 21, 2024 3:37 PM

The playground meets the nursing home

by Anonymousreply 557June 21, 2024 3:39 PM

[quote] It was fucking 4AM, you stupid Nazi hall monitor cunt!

If you're awake enough to be an asshole, then you're awake enough to read.

But then again, you don't know how to post.

by Anonymousreply 558June 21, 2024 3:41 PM

Has anyone seen Broadway Barbara in her show? The comic persona of someone pretending to be Barbara, a veteran of the stage?

(The clips I've seen on Instagram etc are funny but didn't know if that could be sustained for a whole cabaret length show....she's appearing near me next month and am thinking about going.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559June 21, 2024 4:28 PM

All you have to come for me with are imagined DL posting rules and formatting issues, R558.

Again, sorry that you weren’t able to secure tickets to a one night only event.

by Anonymousreply 560June 21, 2024 4:31 PM

Why don't you repeat your tired joke a fourth time. Maybe someone will finally laugh at it.

by Anonymousreply 561June 21, 2024 4:43 PM

Geez, r561, why are you always such a bitter sourpuss?

by Anonymousreply 562June 21, 2024 4:46 PM

You should ask yourself that same question, R562. You're a massive asshole.

by Anonymousreply 563June 21, 2024 5:07 PM

Oh, jesus. It's times like this I wish we had multiple theatre gossip threads going at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 564June 21, 2024 5:08 PM

And there you prove my point, r563. Lighten up, buttercup.

by Anonymousreply 565June 21, 2024 5:09 PM

Girls! Girls!

You're BOTH heinous, UNBEARABLE FUCKING CUNTS!!!!!!

Please go piss acid on each other so you can disappear into a collective cesspool of your own doing, and leave the rest of us alone.

by Anonymousreply 566June 21, 2024 5:13 PM

What an original post, R566. Thanks for that absolutely vital comment. It's sure to change everything.

by Anonymousreply 567June 21, 2024 5:21 PM

If you don’t want to hear the screeching harpies, just put them on ignore

by Anonymousreply 568June 21, 2024 5:25 PM

That lady who is in Perfect Crime sounds like she has had no life other than playing this part. How insane is that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569June 21, 2024 5:55 PM

R569, that woman is one of the most unpleasant, difficult, hated people in NY theater, who treats her workers and business associates like shit. At first I was appalled to see your post because I couldn't believe that anyone, let alone The New York Times, was still giving her press, but it made me feel a little better when I saw the article was from 2021 and was basically a "coming out of the pandemic" puff piece.

And yes, correct, she has no life other than this show and her theater.

by Anonymousreply 570June 21, 2024 6:03 PM

So she’s starring in a revival of The Life?

by Anonymousreply 571June 21, 2024 6:07 PM

R567 well, if you wish to indulge those posters in a sad dinner theater version of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? then by all means, be my guest.

by Anonymousreply 572June 21, 2024 6:17 PM

[quote]So she’s starring in a revival of The Life?

My revised script is available.

by Anonymousreply 573June 21, 2024 7:41 PM

I’m in, I am seeing Merrily tonight and they are filming so Lindsey will be in

by Anonymousreply 574June 21, 2024 10:39 PM

That was supposed to be. I’m in luck.

by Anonymousreply 575June 21, 2024 10:42 PM

[quote] Billy Porter

If there was ever anyone getting too old for the oldest profession.......

by Anonymousreply 576June 21, 2024 10:46 PM

Saw Bartlett Sher’s “Kiss Me Kate” at the Barbican tonight, and it’s a good, old-fashioned, straightforward revival of a great show. Does KMK need another revival just now? Maybe not, but with this one, Sher gets closest to perfectly recreating the spirit of the classic musical which he managed with “South Pacific,” but has eluded him with “The King and I,” “My Fair Lady” (at least until until the replacement cast came in) and especially “Camelot.”

Stephanie Block is funny and sounds great as Lilli. Didn’t see her as Cher on Broadway but she is at opera diva weight these days, which works okay for this part. Brit TV star Adrian Dunbar (so good in the terrific “Line of Duty”) is on the old side for Fred but he’s energetic, his comic timing is excellent, and he carries the singing fine, though he faltered as his voice got tired near the end of the second act.

Sher doesn’t work too hard to change the text to please the politically correct in the audience, which is refreshing, but he does have Dunbar as Fred break the fourth wall to remind the audience that in Shakespeare’s day, female characters were played by men, so rough-housing and insults were especially funny to an audience.

The choreography by Anthony Van Laast is old-fashioned too, in a good way — muscular and Michael Kidd-like. One odd thing: The actor/dancer who plays Bill usually makes a meal of “Too Darn Hot” at the top of the second act, but Charlie Stemp (cute, beautiful neck and throat) doesn’t appear in that number until he does a brief dance-off with the guy who stars in it and does a gorgeous job with it— Jack Butterworth as Paul (great torso, beautiful shoulders). I can only assume Stemp wasn’t a good enough dancer to carry off the difficult, gymnastic choreography, which unfolds on the excellent revolving set and eventually includes most of the cast.

All of Porter’s encores for his patter/list songs are built into this production and though Georgina Onuorah sings Lois/Bianca well, her “Faithful In My Fashion” just doesn’t land — this needs to be an Anita-Morris-In-“Nine”- level sexy show stopper, the potential is there, but she hasn’t got it. On the other hand Hammed Animashun and Nigel Lindsay nail the gangster roles and delight with every encore of “Brush Up Your Shakespeare.”

Gossip is that Sher is nervous about this, is desperate for it to be a hit in London so it will transfer to Broadway. Audience was packed tonight and they loved it, so maybe. I guess Block would take it to NY with the other cast members changed.

by Anonymousreply 577June 21, 2024 11:24 PM

Well the shoulders are the key to any quality musical 😳

by Anonymousreply 578June 21, 2024 11:34 PM

Bill doesn't do Too Darn Hot, r577.

by Anonymousreply 579June 21, 2024 11:41 PM

Too Darn Hot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580June 22, 2024 1:54 AM

I meant in the original production and the Broadway revival, r580.

by Anonymousreply 581June 22, 2024 1:57 AM

Dreadful London

by Anonymousreply 582June 22, 2024 1:59 AM

A smart young British friend of mine just saw that KMK and said it was tedious in the extreme except for SJ Block.

by Anonymousreply 583June 22, 2024 2:53 AM

As KMK was just had a Broadway revival at the Roundabout a few years ago with a miscast Kelli O'Hara (just before Covid IIRC), I doubt it would do well on Broadway without a far bigger star than Stephanie Block, no matter how good Sher's production is.

by Anonymousreply 584June 22, 2024 2:56 AM

I thought I had read that MERRILY was being video captured earlier in the week, but I suppose they're shooting multiple performances that will then be edited together.

by Anonymousreply 585June 22, 2024 3:03 AM

[quote] I guess Block would take it to NY with the other cast members changed.

Charlie Stemp has been over, and he was quite popular when he replaced in Hello Dolly. I could see them approving him. Then it just needs a big star Fred, a beloved Bway regular as Lois, and a couple of dynamite supporting comics for “Brush Up” and they’re good to go.

by Anonymousreply 586June 22, 2024 3:12 AM

[quote]The actor/dancer who plays Bill usually makes a meal of “Too Darn Hot” at the top of the second act, but Charlie Stemp (cute, beautiful neck and throat) doesn’t appear in that number until he does a brief dance-off with the guy who stars in it and does a gorgeous job with it— Jack Butterworth as Paul (great torso, beautiful shoulders). I can only assume Stemp wasn’t a good enough dancer to carry off the difficult, gymnastic choreography, which unfolds on the excellent revolving set and eventually includes most of the cast.

In the original show, Too Darn Hot was done by the character Paul (a black man). When the movie was done, the number was reassigned to the character Bill. Many subsequent productions reassigned it to Bill but it sounds like this production went back to the original.

Too Darn Hot is a jazz number and requires jazz dancing. Little Charlie Stemp is an excellent dancer, but I imagine his strength is more in ballet.

The clip of Too Darn Hot above is off the mark. What is the problem with London making American musicals too loud, bright and obnoxious (see Guys & Dolls). Too Darn Hot is not a flash song. It becomes a showstopper because it is specifically *jazz* and should not be presented as a big production number. It’s strength is that it’s just a bunch of hoofers in a back alley killing time, so the more reserved “we’re just having fun” approach works better. PLUS: it’s too damn hot to be that in your face.

by Anonymousreply 587June 22, 2024 3:16 AM

R585 they have to wait until Ms. Mendez deigns to appear.

by Anonymousreply 588June 22, 2024 3:36 AM

[quote]When the movie was done, the number was reassigned to the character Bill.

Oops, my mistake. The movie reassigned the dance to Ann Miller.

Sorry about that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589June 22, 2024 3:39 AM

‘Stereophonic’ Pays Tribute To Donald Sutherland Without Changing A Word Of Dialogue:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590June 22, 2024 4:28 AM

Tina Benko went on for Sarah Paulson in Appropriate tonight. She was fabulous. Didn't miss a beat. I don't know how understudies and standbys do it. Especially those who never/rarely get to go on. When you finally get that call and you have a mammoth role like that with probably one short put-in rehearsal beforehand? Nerves of steel. I get anxiety just thinking about it. We're only in town this week, so I'm glad we decided to stay. Also, Corey Stoll is just as sexy in person as he is on film. My GOD the things I would let that man do. (He also gives a fine performance, but that's obviously secondary to his hotness.)

by Anonymousreply 591June 22, 2024 5:34 AM

I don’t think I want to see Adrian Dunbar in tights.

by Anonymousreply 592June 22, 2024 6:41 AM

I’ll wait to see what Mickey Jo says about KMK.

by Anonymousreply 593June 22, 2024 6:42 AM

R587 & 9, Thanks for the correction. It does seem like Sher was trying to get back to basics as much as possible. Interesting that a black performer originated the role of Paul, but that may be why it was not treated as a major production number in 1948. It cries out to be one and it is here.

R592, very amusing, only the hunkier chorus boys wear anything remotely clingy and Adrian Dunbar isn’t one of them. Catherine Zuber did the costumes.

R584, You are right, that production at the Roundabout was a tedious misfire and probably mitigates against this better production heading west. Unless it gets raves and does smash business, which may be what Sher is nervous about.

R586, Stemp’s background in ballet makes sense, his bio is full of his various nominations and Christmas pantomime performances. He’s appealing, but he and Onuorah don’t really gel, even as the comic second lead couple.

by Anonymousreply 594June 22, 2024 7:43 AM

I've not yet seen KMK, but saw Little Charlie Stemp in Crazy for You last year and he is absolutely the real deal. He'd be a major, major start if he'd been born fifty years sooner, but he's the real deal nevertheless. A gorgeous dancer who manages to make every move look joyous and effortless.

There was a moment in Crazy for You (and I don't know if this was in previous versions directed by Stroman), where Bobby quickly walks down some stairs - but in this instantaneous, mechanical, click-clack tap dance, as if his feet were wheels. Stemp made it look as easy as breathing.

by Anonymousreply 595June 22, 2024 11:58 AM

You’re right, there’s something elfin about him. Talented but difficult to cast, perhaps. He’s right to stay in England.

by Anonymousreply 596June 22, 2024 12:14 PM

I thought Stemp was miscast as Barnaby in HD. Barnaby is supposed to be an innocent, and Stemp played him as a tough little go-getter.

by Anonymousreply 597June 22, 2024 12:19 PM

r595, Wayman?

by Anonymousreply 598June 22, 2024 12:20 PM

R578, Butterworth, who is tall and broad-shouldered remains covered up for most of the show, but does his showstopper in a tank top, which exploits one of his best features (that we’re allowed to see).

Likewise, Stemp’s long, muscular neck is regularly exposed by collarless or open-collared costumes. Any costumer and director of musicals knows gay men will be a regular part of the audience and will dress their attractive male players accordingly.

So my comments didn’t strike me as gratuitous. Anyway, this is Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 599June 22, 2024 12:29 PM

[quote]I thought Stemp was miscast as Barnaby in HD. Barnaby is supposed to be an innocent, and Stemp played him as a tough little go-getter.

Little Charlie Stemp was a replacement so he may have had to play it the way the previous actor did.

by Anonymousreply 600June 22, 2024 12:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!