Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paul Mescal, Quentin Tarantino and Rita Moreno to Be Honored at Academy Museum Gala

The gala will be held on Oct. 19 at the Academy Museum in Los Angeles.

The three awards presented at this year’s Academy Museum Gala display the museum’s goal of advancing the understanding, celebration and preservation of film and challenge narratives. Mescal will be presented with the Vantage Award, which honors an emerging artist who is contributing to contextualizing and challenging dominant narratives in film. Moreno will be presented with the Icon Award, which celebrates artists whose career has had a remarkable impact around the world. Tarantino will be honored with the Luminary Award, which is awarded to an artists whose work has expanded creative possibilities in cinema.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 26, 2024 2:01 PM

They might want reconsider attending, just now….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 11, 2024 12:49 AM

Miss Coozeburger

by Anonymousreply 2June 11, 2024 12:53 AM

What an odd threesome! Mescal is the only I can stand at this point.

by Anonymousreply 3June 11, 2024 1:19 AM

[quote]Mescal will be presented with the Vantage Award, which honors an emerging artist who is contributing to contextualizing and challenging dominant narratives in film.

Hmmm. I think he's a very promising actor, but he's made, what, three movies? Seems like a stretch for an award specific to "contextualizing and challenging dominant narratives in film." Is this maybe for the film version of "Merrily We Go Around," planned to be shot over a 20-year period? (He was great in "All of Us Strangers," of course, but his character was a supporting one, and the final reveal was basically copied from "The Sixth Sense.")

Rita's obvious, and I have a feeling she'll deliver a SERIOUS motherfucker of an acceptance speech.

by Anonymousreply 4June 11, 2024 1:36 AM

R4 the way All of Us Strangers ended has nothing to do with him. That is the writer/director. He just acted what was written.

He has numerous projects coming up.

by Anonymousreply 5June 11, 2024 1:41 AM

R5 = Paul Mescal’s mom

by Anonymousreply 6June 11, 2024 1:44 AM

What, no shaking and crying?

I thought that was obligatory with any mention of Paul Mescal.

by Anonymousreply 7June 11, 2024 1:46 AM

A fag, a bi guy and an honorary lesbian say what?

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2024 1:48 AM

Isn’t this the type of event that attracts A Listers like our dear Brendad?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2024 5:51 AM

Should've given Mescal's award to Adam Driver because Adam Driver spearheaded the fuggos in film movement.

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2024 9:52 AM

They "celebrate" the biggest star they can get who accepts to appear.

by Anonymousreply 11June 11, 2024 9:58 AM

Will Rita suck out all the oxygen in the room with her non-stop negativity and victimhood?

by Anonymousreply 12June 11, 2024 10:03 AM

R1 That’s so unfortunate. I’m sorry to see Jacqueline Stewart leave her post at The Academy Museum.

by Anonymousreply 13June 11, 2024 11:49 AM

R12 she does that regardless of the situation.

by Anonymousreply 14June 11, 2024 12:12 PM

They are sexy sluts

by Anonymousreply 15June 11, 2024 12:40 PM

Me.

by Anonymousreply 16June 11, 2024 1:00 PM

R8 Tarantino is bi? Rita is gay?

by Anonymousreply 17June 11, 2024 1:03 PM

Mescal is a bit of an ingenue to be getting honored already.

by Anonymousreply 18June 11, 2024 1:06 PM

R1. Stewart is first and foremost a highly regarded film scholar, so going back to U of C probably makes sense. Presumably she can still do her work with TCM as her spots can be shot at convenience and I’m sure Chicago will work around her schedule.

I think she and the rest of the gang are very funny in the recent ads for the tours, channeling Dean, Wood, et. al. in the “chicken race” parody of Rebel—and Stewart gives great side-eye. Anyone know who the guy driving the other tram is?

by Anonymousreply 19June 11, 2024 1:26 PM

I hop they sirv the delishess hambugers an pozza

by Anonymousreply 20June 11, 2024 1:48 PM

R1 I got the impression that initially the Academy Museum were trying to avoid any “Jews Run Hollywood!1!!” agenda. But then the Jews complained about their historical absence.

by Anonymousreply 21June 11, 2024 2:16 PM

Is this what he will be honored for?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 11, 2024 2:17 PM

The above “blind” comes from Enty and apparently got its start from a Reddit screed.

Very sus.

by Anonymousreply 23June 11, 2024 2:23 PM

Mescal will be receiving this honor about one month before Gladiator II is released, so some people are assuming this award is part of the promotion campaign for that movie.

Here's a shot of him on the set of Gladiator II. This pic is supposedly from the reshoots which were recently filmed. Previously the film was said to cost $310 million, but reshoots will increase that cost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 11, 2024 7:40 PM

R10 he can barely get work these days.

by Anonymousreply 25June 11, 2024 10:28 PM

Adam Driver is 40. He isn’t “young Hollywood” anymore.

by Anonymousreply 26June 11, 2024 10:28 PM

R21 none of the 3 honorees are Jewish

by Anonymousreply 27June 11, 2024 10:33 PM

R24 no one is speculating that. He’s been the most interesting as far as role choices out of his peers and has talent far beyond his years. He is a very vulnerable actor, something many young actors aren’t. He’s booked and busy for the next few years.

by Anonymousreply 28June 11, 2024 10:35 PM

Sally sucks the oxygen out of any room when she takes a breath.

by Anonymousreply 29June 11, 2024 11:02 PM

Gladiator 2 doesn’t sound very creative.

Apparently it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 30June 11, 2024 11:16 PM

R30 show me where people are claiming it sucks. It hasn’t even been screened yet. Only the trailer has.

Gladiator II is a big studio film. And his first one. They’re never creative.

by Anonymousreply 31June 11, 2024 11:42 PM

Why does DL hate Rita Moreno??? I don’t get it. She’s a brilliant performer and a truly good person.

by Anonymousreply 32June 12, 2024 2:39 AM

Rita Moreno is amazing. DL always finds someone to hate. And it is usually the same posters doing it but they are so loud it seems like more people hate than reality

by Anonymousreply 33June 12, 2024 2:57 AM

The DL hatred probably has to do with Chita. Some poor deluded fan really believes Moreno stole Rivera's career. Chits was a great theatrical star but was never going to be a star on TV or movies with that face.

by Anonymousreply 34June 12, 2024 3:37 AM

R34 also, Moreno didn’t cast herself in WSS. Rivera wanted to do the film but the studio AND director said she didn’t have the face for films. They wanted someone who was attractive enough for the big screen, so they cast Moreno. Not her fault Rivera wasn’t deemed good looking enough for movies.

by Anonymousreply 35June 12, 2024 5:28 AM

Because he is homophobic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 12, 2024 6:13 PM

R31, Little Gold Men talked about it a month or so ago. The industry is underwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 37June 12, 2024 8:08 PM

R37 no. That didn’t happen.

by Anonymousreply 38June 12, 2024 8:17 PM

I think this movie will end up like J Lo's tour.

by Anonymousreply 39June 12, 2024 8:46 PM

[quote]Because he is homophobic?

For a homophobe he sure did a great job of fucking Andrew Scott up the arse in 'All of Us Strangers'. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 40June 18, 2024 8:55 PM

R40 he didn’t actually fuck him. You realize they’re acting, right? But no, he isn’t a homophobe. That rumor started from one anonymous poster on Reddit who got info wrong and was called out by people who actually went to school with Paul. They’ve all defended him, peers and teachers. It’s not even believable he’s a homophobe. You clearly don’t know shit about his extremely liberal parents.

by Anonymousreply 41June 18, 2024 8:57 PM

[quote]The above “blind” comes from Enty and apparently got its start from a Reddit screed.

Well, we all know Enty just makes shit up, but this doesn't sound like a "screed." More like something seen on a press release.

[quote]R30 show me where people are claiming it sucks.

R31, $300+ million movies don't get reshoots if they *don't* suck.

[quote]You clearly don’t know shit about his extremely liberal parents.

And you clearly don't know shit about sarcasm. (The emoji wasn't enough of a hint?)

by Anonymousreply 42June 18, 2024 9:00 PM

R42 the film isn’t going through reshoots

by Anonymousreply 43June 18, 2024 9:09 PM

R41 Maybe he paid off all the teachers and former classmates?

by Anonymousreply 44June 18, 2024 9:10 PM

R44 wtf. Yeah, you’re criminally insane.

by Anonymousreply 45June 18, 2024 9:13 PM

I can't wait to get all up in Rita's Puertoricanass

by Anonymousreply 46June 18, 2024 9:52 PM

[quote]R42 the film isn’t going through reshoots

R43, are you daft? The movie's coming out in November. Of COURSE they'd only be doing reshoots this close to the release date. (And that is NOT a good sign.)

But, since you apparently can't google, see link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2024 5:28 PM

Hate to break it to you, but almost all movies do reshoots.

by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2024 6:27 PM

Some guys from Gladiator II in a MTM Group Hug at a restaurant.

Where's the teaser trailer, guys?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2024 7:25 PM

Surprised Tarantino hasn't been #metoo-ed.

by Anonymousreply 50June 21, 2024 9:40 PM

[quote]Hate to break it to you, but almost all movies do reshoots.

Indeed: MINOR reshoots, e.g. pickups & a handful of additional angles in minor scenes. "Gladiator 2" is doing a massive one. I'd say the same about any movie, but nearly all of the ones with much publicized, studio-demanded reshoots ended up bombing. (See, e.g., "Rogue One" & "Solo." The former was reshot to such an extent that 30% of the first trailer is entirely absent from the completed film, including multiple full-on location shoots that were entirely abandoned – at a massive expense.)

If it's a critical success, it's fine with me to admit that I'm wrong, but I'm a definite skeptic – though to be fair I've been a skeptic about "Gladiator 2" ever since it was first announced.

by Anonymousreply 51June 24, 2024 7:36 PM

R51 the reshoots aren’t massive. Mescal hasn’t been reshooting shit. He’s been spotted all over London and NYC over the last few weeks. Please stop the nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 52June 26, 2024 1:02 PM

[Quote] [R40] he didn’t actually fuck him.

I beg to differ, sir.

by Anonymousreply 53June 26, 2024 1:48 PM

Apparently Elle Fanning will be presenting Tarantino with his award.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 26, 2024 1:55 PM

[quote] none of the 3 honorees are Jewish

Alas, R27, most of them did marry Jews.

by Anonymousreply 55June 26, 2024 2:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!