Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who has the best EGOT?

I would say, John Gielgud. He won his awards when the awards were much scarcer and harder to win and he won without cheating, by writing a song or plunking a check down to “produce” or something outside his area of expertise.

by Anonymousreply 37June 11, 2024 6:22 AM

Tell John Gielgud to dance until his shoes fill with blood, then have a conversation with me about who has the best EGOT.

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2024 9:16 PM

IMO, the only true EGOTs are...

- Emmy (for acting)

- Grammy (for singing)

- Oscar (for acting)

- Tony (for acting in play or musical)

Has any one actor won an Emmy/Oscar/Tony for acting and Grammy for singing?

by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2024 9:22 PM

[quote] Has any one actor won an Emmy/Oscar/Tony for acting and Grammy for singing?

Streisand, I would assume, R2. Her Tony was honorary, though.

by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2024 9:24 PM

Mike Nichols. All for directing or performing. No cheap producing or narrating on a record.

by Anonymousreply 4June 10, 2024 9:25 PM

John Gielgud would have been a lot of fun on "Electric Company."

by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2024 9:25 PM

Me.

by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2024 9:26 PM

Liza won EGOT except her Grammy was honorary also.

by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2024 9:26 PM

So she’s not EGOT. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2024 9:35 PM

Hey, what about me? I got it first!

by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2024 9:37 PM

R2 I think Jennifer Hudson qualifies. Her first Grammy was for singing (Best R&B Album).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2024 9:44 PM

Mike Nichols does, easily. As either a director or writer for the works that earned him the awards, he had an authorial control over the works for which he won that no other person can claim. Those works have largely stood the test of time, whether it's been almost sixty years (The Odd Couple) or a mere twenty (Angels in America). They are almost all works of consequence, like The Graduate, Wit, or Death of a Salesman, for which he won his final Tony. None of them feel like technicalities or oddities, except maybe his producing Tony for Annie, but that was only one of his eight awards.

The winner who comes closest to Nichols is probably Mel Brooks, but his works aren't nearly as varied (his Oscar and Tony are both for The Producers, which he repurposed for the stage), he didn't have as much authorial control as Nichols did (his writing Emmy was as part of a team), and some of his awards don't feel as essential as what Nichols did (three Emmys for guest spots on Mad About You?).

by Anonymousreply 11June 10, 2024 9:46 PM

Sorry Rita (R1), you’re stealing Debbie’s story and she probably stole it from Eleanor Powell (to whom it actually happened).

Back to the topic, I think Gielgud and Hayes are the gold standard, but hey, if you won them, you won them.

by Anonymousreply 12June 10, 2024 9:54 PM

R10 Hudson won two of hers for producing, so no. John fuckface Legend too. Hell no.

by Anonymousreply 13June 10, 2024 9:56 PM

Nichols, Gielgud, Hayes and Brooks are tops. I would even include Viola Davis in this group. She gets a lot of hate on DL, but she performed for all her awards, and earned them in competitive categories.

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2024 9:59 PM

Viola does have a respectable EGOT, even if How to Get Away With Murder was more trashy fun than actually good. And even though earning an EGOT through an audiobook feels a bit like cheating, at least it was for her own autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 15June 10, 2024 10:08 PM

LIZA!

by Anonymousreply 16June 10, 2024 10:15 PM

In another world Dame Angela, had she won for The Manchurian Candidate. The Grammys seesawed between awarding the principal soloists on a Musical Theatre album the award vs the producer, hence why Ethel Merman/Gwen Verdon won in the early 60s and the likes of Ben Platt & Jennifer Hudson more recently.

Mame & Sweeney Todd won, but for the Composers. Angie deserved some credit for being a great singer as well as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 17June 10, 2024 10:26 PM

Remind me what snot-excreting Viola won her Grammy for?

by Anonymousreply 18June 10, 2024 10:28 PM

Viola won Best Audio Book for her autobiography, Finding Me. And when she did win, she referred to the EGOT, which has to make her the only winner to do so.

by Anonymousreply 19June 10, 2024 10:31 PM

Did Viola find herself by book's end? And where was she?

by Anonymousreply 20June 10, 2024 10:33 PM

[quote]Has any one actor won an Emmy/Oscar/Tony for acting and Grammy for singing?

Joaquin Phoenix won a competitive Grammy for the WALK THE LINE soundtrack, which was basically his covers of Johnny Cash songs.

(However, Reese didn't share in that win. I guess 'cause she's only featured in like two or three songs.)

And now he has an Oscar for JOKER.

I'm sure if he did a TV movie and Broadway play, Joaquin would easily win the Emmy and Tony.

by Anonymousreply 21June 10, 2024 10:40 PM

[quote] I'm sure if he did a TV movie and Broadway play, Joaquin would easily win the Emmy and Tony.

Maybe an Emmy, R21, but he'd have a way to go to win a Tony.

by Anonymousreply 22June 10, 2024 10:47 PM

Jennifer Huston paid 2 million dollars to "Invest in the musical Strange Loop" as an Executive Producer.

That's her Tony story (she broke a nail writing the check).

by Anonymousreply 23June 10, 2024 10:51 PM

Joaquin will win for his Willy Loman in Ivo van Hove's daring 2031 revival staged in the rat-infested basement of the Hayes!

by Anonymousreply 24June 10, 2024 10:56 PM

Miss Joaquin on stage? Oh, my sides!

by Anonymousreply 25June 10, 2024 10:59 PM

Like Barbra and Liza, Frank Marshall doesn't count because of non-competitive wins, but among the recipients of all four awards, he might have the most eclectic winners. His Oscar is the Irving Thalberg award, his Grammy is for producing a music film, he's one of five hundred producers of A Strange Loop, and his Emmy isn't for Primetime or Daytime programming, it's for Sports.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 10, 2024 11:00 PM

So basically he fails on all four tests…

by Anonymousreply 27June 10, 2024 11:01 PM

wow, his award has no integrity really then

by Anonymousreply 28June 10, 2024 11:15 PM

[quote] I would even include Viola Davis in this group.

I wouldn’t.

She read the book she “wrote.” How the fuck does that demonstrate talent?

Plus, she’s the most award-thirsty bitch in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 29June 10, 2024 11:16 PM

It’s a legit Grammy. Spoken word recordings are a matter of history, both in the industry and at the awards.

by Anonymousreply 30June 10, 2024 11:20 PM

Viola being an openly award-thirsty bitch is probably the most likable thing about her.

She gets truly insufferable when she goes into full "woe is me" mode, or gets too pretentious, like her eulogy of Leslie Jordan (which we've had a grand time ridiculing here on DL).

by Anonymousreply 31June 10, 2024 11:25 PM

Oops I just remembered those Emmy fuckers snubbed Angela 18 times so she was actually nowhere near EGOT. She totally deserved to win for the TV version of Sweeney Todd in the 80s

by Anonymousreply 32June 11, 2024 4:21 AM

If Winslet ever does theatre I could see her EGOT as respectable, she won a Grammy for singing

by Anonymousreply 33June 11, 2024 4:23 AM

Wikipedia says Winslet's Grammy was "for Best Spoken Word Album for Children for narrating the children's audiobook Listen to the Storyteller."

by Anonymousreply 34June 11, 2024 5:01 AM

[quote] It’s a legit Grammy.

No, bitch, it’s not.

by Anonymousreply 35June 11, 2024 5:05 AM

[quote] And even though earning an EGOT through an audiobook feels a bit like cheating.

Because it is.

Sing, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 36June 11, 2024 5:12 AM

Didn't know Gielgud was an EGOT till this thread, but I'm glad. Amusing in the brilliant 'Motive And The Cue' play when JG mentions en passant to Burton that all such awards are 'vulgar.' Nonetheless it's really touching at the end of the play when credits note how successful his direction of Burton in 'Hamlet' on Broadway was, then finally cite JG's late-in-life Oscar. A phenomenal career.

by Anonymousreply 37June 11, 2024 6:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!