Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How often do you guys eat out?

I find myself enjoying home-cooked meals more and more as I age, but I occasionally love to splurge on a fine dining meal.

What's the best thing you've eaten this year?

by Anonymousreply 42June 12, 2024 11:26 PM

Once every couple of months with friends. I'm in LA:

Everleigh - Fennel Sausage Ragu with herbed focaccia and cultured butter

WeHo Bistro - Bistro Angus burger with sweet potato fires

Hugo's - bbq brisket wrap and onion rings

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2024 8:18 PM

R1, that Ragu sounds delicious!

I love Providence by Melrose. It's one of the better seafood restaurants I've ever been to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2024 8:25 PM

I rarely eat out.

However, in April, I had a nice dinner at an "oyster bar." Ate a lobster roll for the first time. Really good. (Maine lobster, cooked perfectly, not rubbery.) Soft, white bun. Also had some raw oysters.

by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2024 8:30 PM

Thanks R2 - I'll check it out

by Anonymousreply 4June 10, 2024 8:38 PM

I eat out once a week with a friend I've known for over 30 years but we go to cheap places just to hang out, then we do a weekly Target run together. We're both single ladies and live alone so it's good to get out of the house and do some shit with a friend.

Don't really have a best thing I've eaten but I'm fond of the carnitas with spicy salsa at El Torito.

by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2024 8:43 PM

Oh nevermind. I thought this was " How often do you eat guys out."

by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2024 8:43 PM

Stealth Gerg thread.

by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2024 8:47 PM

R7, no. Wrong poster, wrong entire coast

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2024 8:52 PM

R8 - Oh OP, I'm not saying you at all dear. Just waiting for the responses from Gerg LOL.

by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2024 8:55 PM

R9, ah, gotcha!

by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2024 8:56 PM

OP, are you asking me out on a date? Where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 11June 10, 2024 8:58 PM

Sure, R11. Why not?

Your place or mine after dinner?

by Anonymousreply 12June 10, 2024 9:08 PM

Eating out has gotten expensive.

by Anonymousreply 13June 10, 2024 9:27 PM

A few times a week, depending on how much interest I earn for the previous month AND as a reward for doing something onerous.

Like today, I went first thing for a blood draw after fasting overnight (no coffee and starving!), came home, ate a cookie, and then changed to mow the yard.

As a reward for the above, I went to country buffet and chowed down ... reel gud!

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2024 9:44 PM

My partner and I used to eat out A LOT. But it's become way too expensive.

Now that we're not together, I'm trying to keep it at maybe twice a month.

by Anonymousreply 15June 10, 2024 9:47 PM

Stealth scat thread.

by Anonymousreply 16June 10, 2024 10:08 PM

I used to eat out constantly, maybe five to ten times a week, alternating breakfast, lunch, and dinner when work was crazy, but it’s become way too expensive. Now I’m probably at once a week, and it’s far from fine dining.

I still don’t enjoy cooking, but I can’t afford restaurants in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 17June 10, 2024 10:16 PM

Dalida in SF is the best restaurant I've eaten at this year. A must for lovers of Turkish food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 10, 2024 10:20 PM

Zero! Not even fast food! The entire restaurant industry is overpriced, miniscule portions and poor service.

by Anonymousreply 19June 10, 2024 10:21 PM

Not often "out" because it's very expensive for dinner in Switzerland and always not worth it.

As in Germany and France, in Switzerland it's more reasonable to each lunch in restaurants and there are so many places that are not chains, just local joints with local fare. That's good.

One of the canteens on campus does this traditional hot lunch - meat, starch, vegetable. It's very comforting and digestible in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 20June 10, 2024 10:31 PM

^ question - how gay friendly is Switzerland throughout the country. I want to visit and want to feel comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 21June 10, 2024 10:35 PM

R17 - yeah - i'm with you. I think I used to eat out 4-5x a week for dinner, then all 3 meals for both Sat & Sun.

Over time it just got higher and higher and it was post-check regret that just wasn't worth it anymore. I don't care if lots of restaurants go under - fine by me. Too many of them anyway.

What I don't understand are the shitty food restaurants that aren't cheap that are still in business.

And I used to love an Egg McMuffin - McDonalds can go fuck themselves now. I only ate breakfast there occasionally - no more.

by Anonymousreply 22June 10, 2024 10:36 PM

What do you mean by "gay friendly", r21. It's like any Western European country - nobody cares or notices. Worries about gay prejudice would never be a reason not to travel in Western Europe.

by Anonymousreply 23June 10, 2024 10:37 PM

Never- I prepare all of my food at home. ' The last time was in December. I went to a Chinese restaurant and picked up some food for New Years Weekend.

by Anonymousreply 24June 10, 2024 10:40 PM

It's better to meet friends for coffee or a walk because the price of dinner, sheesh.

I mean a pizza is ok or Lebanese place. But my friends are bourgeois and don't want to go to working class places.

What I do a lot is buy prepared meals in the supermarket and local traiteurs. My favourite traiteurs are butchers, too. So they make meals with their meat - and you get starch and vegetable. It's very reasonable. Roasted meat and a traditional vegetable side.

by Anonymousreply 25June 10, 2024 10:41 PM

R23, I'm more concerned about the rural areas. I really want to spend time and travel throughout the country.

by Anonymousreply 26June 10, 2024 10:42 PM

I can't imagine your sexual orientation being an issue anywhere in Switzerland. Especially in the rural areas - Swiss are private and do not butt into your personal life at all.

by Anonymousreply 27June 10, 2024 10:44 PM

That depends, OP. Is he clean?

by Anonymousreply 28June 10, 2024 10:56 PM

R28, impeccable hygiene!

by Anonymousreply 29June 10, 2024 11:17 PM

Actually takeout. A medium-rare steak, French onion soup, and mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy. Perfect cut of meat cooked to perfection. They use Swiss cheese in the soup and it’s so good. We’ve been going out quite a bit lately. Graduations, birthdays, Mother’s Day, etc. Normally every other week but lately it’s been twice a week.

by Anonymousreply 30June 10, 2024 11:36 PM

She gets cared for at twice a week, sometimes three. Some guys don’t even try it, they must be gay.

by Anonymousreply 31June 11, 2024 12:15 AM

Do any of you do Door Dash or Uber Eats?

by Anonymousreply 32June 11, 2024 12:18 AM

R5, I like cheap grub/street food, too.

by Anonymousreply 33June 11, 2024 12:19 AM

No, I don't use Door Dash or Uber Eats. I pay enough, monthly, for my car's upkeep. I'll use my car if I need takeout.

by Anonymousreply 34June 11, 2024 12:20 AM

We eat out a lot now. I have mostly stopped cooking, the old Boomer seems to need a "meal" all the time, we go mainly to counter order without tipping, no more tips at the counter. No one gets many tips from me, you must go out of your way. STOP THE TIPPING for anything and everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 11, 2024 4:55 PM

R35, I'm not a fan of the new optional cashier tips. These stores and establishments should be paying their workers better wages rather than leaving it up to the customer to pick up the slack.

by Anonymousreply 36June 12, 2024 12:49 AM

R36- Worse- I go to a health food store every few weeks and at the food counter they have a big tip jar. I have to get out of my car and walk into the store and up to the counter- why do these people deserve a tip?

The prices in the store are high. Considering that they should be able to pay their employees a proper wage and force the customers to pay their wages- the whole thing is pretty offensive to me. At least Whole Foods as overpriced as they are doesn't allow that.

by Anonymousreply 37June 12, 2024 3:12 AM

maybe a snack - then maybe once every two weeks.

if I travel for work, well, every meal for a week

by Anonymousreply 38June 12, 2024 3:14 AM

I've found myself eating out less this year thus far.

by Anonymousreply 39June 12, 2024 10:49 PM

When I’m at home, maybe once or twice a month. I will have dinners at home with friends and family., and in turn I am invited to their homes about 3 times a month. I’m at my parents house every Sunday for dinner.

When I travel it’s dining out everyday. That happens about 8 times a year.

One reason I dine out less, is I’m trying to healthier, you never know what is going into your food. Another is I’m getting tired of tipping cultural. That’s why I enjoy traveling to Europe.

by Anonymousreply 40June 12, 2024 11:03 PM

Does Wendy's count?

by Anonymousreply 41June 12, 2024 11:22 PM

I eat my boyfriend out a few times a week.

by Anonymousreply 42June 12, 2024 11:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!