Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Royal Rivalry... Harry/William Relationship Succinctly Summarized

Harry and William: it’s the sibling feud being heard around the world – and we’ll no doubt hear the echoes for quite some time. The pair who call each other Harold and Willy aren’t calling each other at all right now, with Harry saying they’re not currently in contact. And it’s no wonder.

In his memoir Spare, accompanying TV and magazine interviews, and the Harry & Meghan docu-series, Harry has made many accusations against William. Don’t quote us on the exact words, but here’s the gist of the allegations. William physically attacking Harry. William once saying “I swear on Mummy’s life” when those “words were to be used only in times of extreme crisis”. William not wanting to associate with Harry at boarding school. William refusing to have Harry as his best man in case he’d go off script in the speech. William having concerns about Harry dating, then marrying, Meghan. William repeatedly ordering Harry to shave before Harry’s wedding.

While few adult siblings have severed their ties completely, approximately one-third of them describe their relationship as rivalrous or distant

But wait, there’s more. William breaking an agreement that his and Harry’s offices wouldn’t feed negative stories about each other to the media. William telling Camilla and Charles there was “strife” between the two younger couples (allegedly Camilla leaked this to the media). William being literally territorial about royal charitable activities in Africa, saying “Africa is my thing, you can’t have it”. William and Kate encouraging Harry to dress in a Nazi uniform for a costume party… the list goes on. It must be hard for William not to tell his side, but he’s surely been advised not to in case this spat further damages the monarchy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2024 9:40 AM

Royal Rivals

In Spare, Harry describes William as both “beloved brother and arch nemesis”. Both things can be true, I guess? No one is suggesting the brothers weren’t close – just that it would be weird if there wasn’t a rivalry given William was, and is, the heir, and Harry ‘the spare’. According to Harry, Charles congratulated Diana, when Harry was born, for producing ‘an heir and a spare’. Harry says Charles sometimes called him “the spare” to his face. Harry says he always knew he’d been “brought into this world in case something happened” to William. Harry jokes (or is he joking?) that he might even be called upon to provide a spare organ for the future king.

As Harry told People: “While I know much of my life may seem unrelatable, I do think most siblings can relate to struggling with comparisons, and my brother and I are no exception”. Harry also told Good Morning America “that there has always been this competition between us, weirdly. I think it really plays into or always played by [into] the ‘heir/spare’ [dynamic] and the British press’ part in that.”

The princes were compared by the media – William more the golden boy, Harry more the party boy – then their wives were compared by the media. Media speculation about a rift between the brothers didn’t help.

“My brother and I love each other. I love him deeply,” Harry said in his 60 Minutes interview. “There has been a lot of pain between the two of us, especially the last six years. None of anything I’ve written – anything that I’ve included is ever intended to hurt my family. But it does give a full picture of the situation as we were growing up, and also squashes this idea that somehow my wife was the one that destroyed the relationship between these two brothers.” He’s suggesting, of course, that the relationship between the brothers had been bad for a while.

The most damning accusation in Spare? Harry alleges that, after the brothers argued about Meghan in Harry’s home in 2019, William “came at” Harry. “He grabbed me by the collar, ripping my necklace, and he knocked me to the floor. I landed on the dog’s bowl, which cracked under my back, the pieces cutting into me.” In his ITV interview, Harry says “he [William] wanted me to hit him back, but I chose not to”.

These are still allegations, so let’s not be quick to judge, but it’s weird that some people have been saying that physical fights are ‘just what brothers do’. There’s never any excuse for assaulting anyone, including a sibling.

Harry writes that, after the alleged attack, he called his therapist. “We’d had a million physical fights in our lives, I told her. As boys we’d done nothing but fight. But this felt different.”

Harry recounts that once, in the back of their father’s car, he and William “traded blows”. Charles asked William to get into the bodyguards’ car. “Now and then I peered out the back window,” Harry writes. “Behind us, I could just make out the future King of England, plotting his revenge.” Revenge? It’s 2023 not 1523, when King Henry VIII, known for beheading those close to him, reigned.

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2024 9:30 AM

More utter claptrap.

by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2024 9:31 AM

Halfwit Harry thought he could finally "win" at something over his brother with his choice of wife. The halfwit thought although William was future King, he would have the most popular, most beautiful, most beloved, most fashionable, smartest, trailblazer wife thus he would finally "win" over William. That didn't happen. Quite the opposite. Halfwit Harry "lost" again adding to his long-standing resentment of William.

That halfwit Harry thought he could go to the Queen and request that when the time came he and his wife be made co-King and co-Queen along with William and share in the Duchy of Cornwall confirms his stupidity, immaturity and despair. Also confirms that Cruella de Markle is able to manipulate him into doing the most absurd things.

by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2024 9:52 AM

I've never heard about Harry asking to be co-King or getting a share of the Duchy of Cornwall. Where did you hear that?

by Anonymousreply 4June 10, 2024 10:08 AM

It's from the same fantasy land as the idea that William ever said “Africa is my thing, you can’t have it” or the fantasy of "William breaking an agreement that his and Harry’s offices wouldn’t feed negative stories about each other to the media". Although, it's far more plausible than those fantasies. The more logical basis for it is the idea that Harry was trying to convince the Queen to give him and Meghan a bigger role because Meghan was - in his addled mind - going to popularise the monarchy (as if it needed that) and "modernise" it (aka attempt to destroy it).

by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2024 10:19 AM

Harry is intensely stupid. Meghan may think he's a prize, but... There should be no other discussion.

by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2024 10:21 AM

Duke and douchess of dumb and dumber.

by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2024 10:23 AM

More absolute garbage 🙄

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2024 10:50 AM

The story about "co-king" had been circulating for a while. Within the past six months one of those biographers, Tom Bower (?), confirmed it in an interview.

But carry on deflecting and dismissing, PR Interns, I know it's your job and you obviously don't have any skills to get a better job.

by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2024 11:59 AM

[quote] William not wanting to associate with Harry at boarding school.

This is EVERY older sibling I know and that Harry still holds a grudge years later proves he’s a moron.

by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2024 1:24 PM

Was nutty Tom Bower (?) privy to these private conversations, r9? Harry may be a moron but there's no way he believed he could be co-king or co-run the Duchy of Cornwall. More to the point, what would his grandmother have to do with it? Something so bizarre would be decided (if that were even possible, which it isn't) way after his grandmother and also father had died, when William ascended to the throne, and parliament would have to agree to it, which it never would. However stupid Harry is, he would know that.

If there is any distant basis to these bizarre rumours, then it's more something like Harry trying to convince his grandmother to give him and Meghan a more prominent role of their own devising. But, judging by the moments in videos from when they were still in the UK and "working royals", and even today, where he's discreetly trying to get Meghan to move or stand up or pay attention, even he's aware that Meghan is not cut out for something like that.

by Anonymousreply 11June 10, 2024 1:29 PM

This is a click bait troll website. Nothing legit about it.

by Anonymousreply 12June 10, 2024 1:50 PM

"Capsule Communications"....Right...

by Anonymousreply 13June 10, 2024 1:51 PM

Catherine returns to public duties? Right on schedule, Markle unveils new jam - and dog biscuits! Only two people being asked to promote this jam, down from 50 for the last one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2024 10:48 PM

Is this one of those threads I'd have to be a complete idiot to appreciate?

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2024 10:49 PM

What's wrong with Meghan doing whatever she wants? She's not stopping Kate from doing anything. Your whining about her "unveiling" jam or dog biscuits is ridiculous. You could just as easily say Kate tried to upstage HER.

See how stupid you sound?

by Anonymousreply 16June 15, 2024 11:11 PM

[QUOTE]You could just as easily say Kate tried to upstage HER.

Kate upstaged Meghan by making her 13th consecutive appearance on the same day every year for a traditional event celebrating the King's birthday? You make it sound like Meghan sent her a kind note asking her not to appear at Trooping the Colour because she's planning to roll out her new line of jam and dog biscuits on that particular day. "It's just an honest coincidence, Catherine."

I'm afraid your perception of what constitutes "stupid" is so highly skewed you cannot help but humiliate yourself.

by Anonymousreply 17June 15, 2024 11:39 PM

No, YOU'RE the one who had a shit fit because Meghan Markle DARED to live her life instead of being obsessed with Kate's every movement the way YOU are. But since you also keep up with Marke's activities since you knew what she was up to, you're just as obsessed with HER, too.

You should talk about self humiliation LOL.

by Anonymousreply 18June 15, 2024 11:44 PM

I had a shit fit? Where, dear?

by Anonymousreply 19June 15, 2024 11:52 PM

Based on everything that the Harkles have said and done since Megxit, Harry's claims are not credible.

Even if all of those allegations are technically true, there seems like a lot of missing context that would make those specific details favor William if known.

It's like saying that someone pulled a knife on you without mentioning that you were chasing them with a baseball bat. Sure, it's technically true, but wholly misleading.

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2024 12:06 AM

William has no rival. He's going to be the King. He "won" the day he was born.

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2024 12:12 AM

There is nothing new here, the stories are from Spare so old news now. I actually believe most of them, they have the ring of truth, especially since they aren’t as serious as Harry thinks (or has been made to think) they are, brothers fight and sometimes there is rivalry. If William wanted to control him, Harry just would have to push back.

Washing you dirty laundry in public is awful and had the expected (and deserved) consequence of alienating his family. But William does indeed look like an angry, miserable, person, so they deserve each other.

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2024 9:14 AM

Jealosy. Harry is not even hiding it very well, though he is not aware of it. Even the title Spare points at his resentment because William is the heir. Than, William was his mother's favorite (many women favor their firstborn sons). And he was the looker, who inherited his mother's features. Harry also wrote that he was discriminated against when he was still single and William had Kate and they started a family. Which is rubbish, because Charles married late and it was 30 years before. The trouble is he is not capable to recognize his envy and move on.

by Anonymousreply 23June 16, 2024 9:39 AM

Sorry, jealousy*

by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2024 9:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!