Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I really don't think modelling is a hard job

Models are always talking about how hard they work and I find it ridiculous. Like, I now they have to maintain their figures, but most of them are young and vain anyway, so even without a modelling career they'd still stay in shape.

If you're naturally beautiful and confident enough to pursue a modelling career, how hard can it be to stand in front of a camera and pose? The only hard part is actually getting the job and trying to cast get instead of hundreds of other girls who are just as pretty (assuming you're not a nepo baby)

by Anonymousreply 25June 14, 2024 11:41 PM

They probably think it’s hard because most are teenagers when they enter modeling and it’s the only job they’ve worked at that point.

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2024 9:06 AM

Yeah sure--you try not eating since 1993!

by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2024 9:35 AM

Thoughts & Prayers!

by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2024 9:44 AM

It's hard work - constant travel, very early mornings, very late nights, tough shows. It's highly competitive and always with a new influx of other models that clients can select over you. The jobs are few and the candidates many and if you don't make it pretty quickly then you're out.

by Anonymousreply 4June 10, 2024 10:07 AM

There are a lot of attractive people that can’t model. It’s not just about looking good. Posing is an art form in itself that must be learned and some people can’t get it right. Didn’t you ever watch ANTM?

by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2024 11:24 AM

R5, I remember Tyra Banks describing certain girls as being "the noun but not the verb," meaning that, genetically they were models (good bone structure and industry standard height and proportions) but did not know how to model, meaning they were weak posers and/or had bad runway walks.

Then there were girls who did not look like models in person, but were very talented in front of the camera and could photograph beautifully.

Nine times out of ten, the girls who had more potential physically outperformed their more talented peers when the show ended and it came time to get signed by an agency and start booking jobs.

by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2024 4:14 PM

I would say those winners that were signed took the advice Tyra and the other judges/ photographers and learned how to pose in addition to being physically beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2024 5:15 PM

It sounds like a grueling profession. One little imperfection and you can't pay your monthly bills.

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2024 5:59 PM

I'm friends with a guy who shot for Saks for like 20 years. If you ask him, he will tell you life as a model is a bitch.

Took another one of my friends to him for a test. Ended up doing 3 art shoots, could move really naturally and gracefully. The results were great. This was a black medium-weight class bodybuilder with high-functioning autism, go figure.

Took another of my friends, one of the most attractive people I have ever seen either in person or on the Internet. I remember taking him on trips to London, the Caribbean, Miami, etc. and every head would swivel in his direction. It was too funny. He did a test and couldn't move for shit. It was a disaster. He now works for a fire department.

I'm ugly so why any of those people would ever hang around me is a mystery, but there it is, so don't ask.

by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2024 6:30 PM

I tried to get into modeling back in the day when I was in law school. Early on, I got called-in for a photo shoot with a major department store. I obviously didn't have the hunger for the work, so the booker took me aside & counseled me to concentrate on my studies.

by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2024 6:35 PM

They don't just "maintain their figures".....they starve. There are probably Darfur orphans who consume more calories per day than the average model does

by Anonymousreply 11June 10, 2024 6:38 PM

They also put up with a ton of sexual harassment and assault from sleazy agents, photographers, etc.

Look at Jean-Luc Brunel and co.

by Anonymousreply 12June 10, 2024 6:39 PM

As a photographer, being attractive does not mean you’re photogenic.

Steven Kelly is a great example. He was discovered as a fitness guy on Instagram and TikTok and now he’s been doing fashion modeling and he looks awful.

I have only done one photoshoot with a really high fashion model (who’s gone now) and even in the outtakes where he’s blinking or not paying attention, he STILL looked great!

by Anonymousreply 13June 10, 2024 6:47 PM

Ya think, OP??

🙄🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2024 6:48 PM

A lot of people who are working models, if you ran into them on the street, you'd walk right past them.

by Anonymousreply 15June 10, 2024 6:54 PM

The tough part too it doesn’t pay very well today and you have a short shelf life.

It’s way easier to be an OnlyFans model and model than try and go for high fashion.

by Anonymousreply 16June 10, 2024 6:54 PM

You don’t eat and everyone treats you like an animal.

It’s not like being a cardiologist or an astrophysicist, but it definitely doesn’t seem pleasant.

Success entirely based on your appearance is not something that seems easy.

by Anonymousreply 17June 10, 2024 6:57 PM

OP- Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 18June 10, 2024 7:13 PM

What's *REALLY* hard in being a Super Model. Not only do you have to do the job of a regular model, but you also have to fight crime!

by Anonymousreply 19June 10, 2024 7:17 PM

Long days - people tugging at you all the time - being forced into awkward positions. Wearing heavy coats in the summer and bikinis in the winter.

A lot of go-sees that end up with no bookings. A TON of skeezy people. A lot of competition. A lot of negative comments to your face about your look, weight, etc.

You spend your youth doing this and then - 30 something - you're out. No real work experience. Most of the time, no degree to fall back on.

You're an old piece of meat and everyone treats you like that. It's hard to keep your head straight. The few supermodels are the exception at any time.

by Anonymousreply 20June 10, 2024 7:38 PM

Tyra, Christy and Cindy all had nosejobs. Stephanie Seymour had her nose and boobs done, plus she was sleeping with John Casablancas when she was about 14. Kendall Jenner is mostly plastic, just like Bella Hadid.

That man is so lucky that he died before "Me Too".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 14, 2024 11:23 AM

I read an article years and years ago that stuck with me for no real reason.

An interview with a designer who said Christy Turlington and Linda Evangelista just knew how to wear clothes better than other people.

It always struck me as stupid, but now, looking at models and some people on the street, I think, "Wow, that person really does know how to wear clothes."

It's strange.

by Anonymousreply 22June 14, 2024 12:05 PM

And it’s not just models who wear clothes well. I’ve always thought Fran Drescher wore clothes, or at least sitcom clothes, really well. Bette Midler, too.

Some people just know how to walk and move in clothes in a way that shows them off to their best potential.

by Anonymousreply 23June 14, 2024 11:13 PM

I still am the top model in the country

by Anonymousreply 24June 14, 2024 11:22 PM

There are, of course, worse jobs but modelling involves a lot of hard, boring work, the posing being the least of the troubles. I think it has gotten worse as body standards expectations have increased. You have to work out constantly, travel crazy hours, be bored for the shoots and yes, be sexually harassed. One way or the other be treated like meat. Constantly agonize when the moment starts when you decadence will begin and you will be out of a job.

Like most people here, i follow a male model in instagram. He is very cute, constantly travelling from shoot to shoot. There are few moments in his life that go, apparently, undocumented. He smiles and poses but many times looks depressed and unhappy.

by Anonymousreply 25June 14, 2024 11:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!