Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oysters

You usually either love them or you hate them.

If you love them, you always want to get them with someone else since they're expensive and they usually give you twice in a serving as much as you would want.

If you hate them, you hate them and don't want to split them with someone else, which always disappoints them.

by Anonymousreply 70June 13, 2024 12:05 AM

like swallowing cold snot.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2024 10:17 PM

[quote]they usually give you twice in a serving as much as you would want.

No such thing as too many oysters. Never have I been served twice as many as I could eat.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2024 10:18 PM

I like them but only three ways -

1) at parties, drinking champagne, and maybe smoking a cig afterward

2) soup

3) Oysters Rockefeller

For the raw ones they have to be super fresh and served with the oyster liquor, which is better than the animal in my opinion. The champagne better be good and ice cold.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2024 10:23 PM

Totally disgusting. Like swallowing something unidentifiable that washed up on a beach.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2024 10:26 PM

Like being at one with the sea. I like shallow, briney, small to medium sized east coast oysters. Never too many. And OP, what are you even talking about, you can always order by the piece or the half-dozen.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2024 10:29 PM

Always mignonette. Never cocktail sauce!

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2024 10:30 PM

Coming to Little Island this summer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2024 10:31 PM

Fat, salty Louisiana oysters are the best .. just don't mind the hint of crude oil.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2024 10:34 PM

Oystures.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2024 10:36 PM

I used to avoid them but I love them now.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2024 11:00 PM

People who are against oysters are racist against native Americans, as oysters were a major part of the diet of East coast tribes.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2024 11:11 PM

Okay, if fried, any other way, a decided no.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2024 11:21 PM

Love them but I think it’s a family thing - if you grew up eating them, your parents loved them, you do as well. For me the best are Oyater Roasts South Carolina style - outdoors steamed in burlap and then stand around a barrel and shuck them with your friends and family. Usually accompanied with a hog roast and corn on the cob.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2024 11:31 PM

[quote]Usually accompanied with a hog roast and corn on the cob.

Indeed.

I have never been to a hog roast myself.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2024 11:36 PM

R12 I also like them scalloped in a casserole or cooked through in stew.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2024 11:49 PM

I prefer a bearded clam.

by Anonymousreply 16June 10, 2024 12:14 AM

I've never understood how to eat raw oysters. Online guidance is terrible. Do you chew them up thoroughly, like any other food?

by Anonymousreply 17June 10, 2024 12:36 AM

OP, after trying to get through your thread opener, I wonder if you should get checked for some kind of neurotoxicity from one of those Gulf oysters you ate last August.

by Anonymousreply 18June 10, 2024 12:42 AM

My taste includes both snails and oysters.

by Anonymousreply 19June 10, 2024 12:47 AM

I put smoked oysters 🦪 in cream cheese 🥯 on bagels.

by Anonymousreply 20June 10, 2024 1:04 AM

I've only had them fried, like fried clams. Tasted good.

by Anonymousreply 21June 10, 2024 1:20 AM

A word about cooking oysters: DON’T.

by Anonymousreply 22June 10, 2024 1:23 AM

Note to self - have a lobster roll soon.

by Anonymousreply 23June 10, 2024 1:25 AM

I chew them and savor them. Nowadays I only eat them in the coldest months and from Canada. The others seem too risky although I never got sick in the past

by Anonymousreply 24June 10, 2024 1:28 AM

[quote] I've never understood how to eat raw oysters. Online guidance is terrible. Do you chew them up thoroughly, like any other food?

Yes, chew them up like any other food.

by Anonymousreply 25June 10, 2024 1:41 AM

For raw, I like the larger ones. I can't tell the difference in taste between the different ones. They're expensive and you're usually paying per oyster, so why not get a larger oyster.

For cooked, I like to order "kaki fry" at Japanese restaurants. They usually use a smaller oyster, lightly breaded, then deep fried. Very good.

by Anonymousreply 26June 10, 2024 1:43 AM

Angels-on Horseback are pretty dang tasty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 10, 2024 1:46 AM

I like them Rockefeller or Bienville style, but raw oysters are a no go.

by Anonymousreply 28June 10, 2024 2:19 AM

For a site filled with men who love sucking cock, I’m surprised that so many posters don’t the like raw oysters.

And no, you don’t chew. You suck that fatty out of its shell and swallow.

You do know how to swallow.

by Anonymousreply 29June 10, 2024 2:41 AM

R2 You're right, never an oyster order that I wanted to share. Husband and I get a dozen raw to start, and usually a second dozen after that. I prefer cocktail sauce, he goes for minionette. (spelling? sorry) Great with a dry gin martini. Fried oyster po'boys are also good, as are roasted with parmesan, butter, and hot sauce. Oysters Rockefellar were always a Christmas dinner appetizer for our family.

by Anonymousreply 30June 10, 2024 2:43 AM

I like fried oyster poboys. As for raw oysres, they're fine, but I put them on a saltine and cover it with cocktail sauce.

by Anonymousreply 31June 10, 2024 3:10 AM

*oysters. I'll oh dear myself.

by Anonymousreply 32June 10, 2024 3:12 AM

You see! R24 & R25 say yes, chew them, and R29 says no. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 33June 10, 2024 4:06 AM

LOVE raw oysters. Hog Island oysters are my preference. Then any upper Pacific coast or Maryland/DelMarVa oysters. New Zealand oysters are wonderful too.

If they're not from those 3 areas - I don't order them.

Perfect appetizer. Need at least 6, but prefer 9. And yes - mignonette and a bit of horseradish. I can't stand the cocktail sauce - totally masks the flavor.

But you have to be careful - I had a friend who got sick from some and ended up in the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 34June 10, 2024 4:29 AM

Does it make sense to swallow food and not chew? No.

by Anonymousreply 35June 10, 2024 4:36 AM

Being a New Englander, seafood is always readily available. Do people who live in the midwest ever have that pleasure without costing them an arm and a leg?

by Anonymousreply 36June 10, 2024 4:41 AM

I love oysters. The smaller, brined ones are better than the larger, creamier ones here in Australia. Coffin Bay or Sydney Rock are fantastic.

Oysters Rockefeller must be an American thing as here if we have cooked oysters on the menu then it’s Oysters Kilpatrick (bacon and Worcestershire sauce).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 10, 2024 5:01 AM

I could never eat an oyster after watching ALICE IN WONDERLAND as a kid, but I don't feel like I've missed out on much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 10, 2024 5:11 AM

[quote]The smaller, brined ones are better than the larger, creamier ones here in Australia.

Same here in New Zealand R37. We do have good oysters here but those brined ones are the best and easiest to get too

by Anonymousreply 39June 10, 2024 6:04 AM

"Brined"?

Aren't ALL oysters found in salt water?

How exactly does one brine an oyster?

by Anonymousreply 40June 10, 2024 9:55 AM

[quote]Aren't ALL oysters found in salt water?

Not all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2024 10:05 AM

^^ O U card!

by Anonymousreply 42June 10, 2024 10:14 AM

Snots in ashtrays.

by Anonymousreply 43June 10, 2024 10:23 AM

r40 “briney”

It means a saltier, brackish oyster principally from the Northeast vs a creamier style found principally in the Pacific Northwest.

by Anonymousreply 44June 10, 2024 3:24 PM

There are always active warnings for disease causing oysters, but people who eat ass shouldn't be too worried about hepatitis or norovirus from oysters I guess, it's useless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 10, 2024 3:41 PM

Oysters are visually unappealing therefore I avoid them.

by Anonymousreply 46June 10, 2024 4:09 PM

I can see how oysters would be visually unappealing, as r46 puts it. I usually get the icks over something like this (don't come at me with raw calamari, monkfish, geoduck, eel, passionfruit, among others), but with oysters, somehow the deliciousness trumps what they look like.

by Anonymousreply 47June 10, 2024 4:25 PM

[quote]For me the best are Oy[s]ter Roasts South Carolina style - outdoors steamed in burlap and then stand around a barrel and shuck them with your friends and family.

For me, the nice thing --aside from the oysters-- was that the roasts were always at somebody's plantation. And they had ample shuckers on site to do the dirty work for you.

And oysters are delicious, the taste of the sea. Raw are best, roasted are second best.

by Anonymousreply 48June 10, 2024 4:42 PM

Brackish water would not yield saltier oysters. Do you know what brackish means?

by Anonymousreply 49June 10, 2024 4:46 PM

[quote]Oysters Rockefeller

My favorite from years ago were the Oysters Rockefeller from the Palm. They were covered in what must have been a saffron souffle. Just delicious.

by Anonymousreply 50June 10, 2024 5:00 PM

[quote] For me, the nice thing --aside from the oysters-- was that the roasts were always at somebody's plantation. And they had ample shuckers on site to do the dirty work for you.

MARY. Scarlett O'Hara is posting.

by Anonymousreply 51June 10, 2024 6:57 PM

Why be so pedantic about what brined oysters means? Geez.

by Anonymousreply 52June 10, 2024 6:58 PM

When I eat oysters 🦪 - which is only once in a while

It’s Smoked Oysters I buy at Trader Joe’s.

by Anonymousreply 53June 10, 2024 7:10 PM

Delicious, unless they kill you.

by Anonymousreply 54June 10, 2024 7:17 PM

R46 Do you find proper punctuation unappealing as well?

by Anonymousreply 55June 10, 2024 7:28 PM

Why would you brine oysters? That makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 56June 10, 2024 9:12 PM

A Japanese takeout place near me fries oysters in panko then wraps it in rice ball with a spicy sauce, I'm addicted to it.

by Anonymousreply 57June 10, 2024 10:30 PM

R67- COCK SUCKING

I'm addicted to it.

by Anonymousreply 58June 10, 2024 10:33 PM

I don't eat anything raw. Too many parasites out there to worry about. I don't even understand people who like sushi.

by Anonymousreply 59June 10, 2024 10:36 PM

R59 I have to agree. The microbiology of these organisms is too sketchy. Friends who worked in high volume kitchens have told me stories of pulling tiny worms out of fish with a pair of needle nose pliers that came with their chef’s equipment in culinary school. They also rinsed some older fish with mild solutions of bleach before serving them. Ceviche is another dish I wouldn’t order or eat. More disturbing are the stories of people who contracted hepatitis and some forms of tapeworms from raw or undercooked seafood and meat. Not to be too morbid or sensationalist, I’m also freaked out by some of these new superbugs and forms of infection that lead to multiple amputations. It’s pretty horrific.

by Anonymousreply 60June 10, 2024 10:59 PM

I need a separate choice of "Never tried them, and don't want to"

by Anonymousreply 61June 10, 2024 11:24 PM

I like oyster shooters and oysters Rockefeller. Eat a plain oyster? Never.

by Anonymousreply 62June 10, 2024 11:40 PM

Yikes…and then there is this: paralysis. In extreme cases, you could end up on a ventilator.

This story just appeared today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 11, 2024 1:44 AM

In the poll, isn’t “they’re okay” and “I like them but don’t love them” the same answer?

by Anonymousreply 64June 11, 2024 2:50 AM

I liked Eleanor Clark's The Oysters of Locmariaquer (1964)

Oysters and champagne: yes

by Anonymousreply 65June 11, 2024 3:02 AM

"Twas a brave man what et the first oyster." -- atrib. to Jonathan Swift.

by Anonymousreply 66June 12, 2024 3:03 PM

All sushi-sashimi raw fish in the USA is legally required by the FDA to be frozen to kill parasites, before thawed and prepared as raw fish. This is now true in Europe as well. At least 24 hours below minus 20 celsius.

Never ever eat raw fish ceviche at anyplace you don't trust with your life, or at least your precious vacation days.

Only eat oysters from cold waters harvested in winter months and served at restaurants with good reputations. I prefer to buy them myself from the reputable fish mongers and supermarkets in luxury department stores that have seafood departments. In Europe, oysters are branded and dated. You can know what you are getting.

by Anonymousreply 67June 12, 2024 9:29 PM

Like eating a mermaid’s pussy!

by Anonymousreply 68June 12, 2024 9:58 PM

Oysters Rockefeller and deep fried oysters, yes. I can't bring myself to eat a raw oyster, swallowed or chewed.

by Anonymousreply 69June 12, 2024 11:22 PM

If you go for oysters, and I go for ersters

I'll order oysters and cancel the ersters

by Anonymousreply 70June 13, 2024 12:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!