Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus Calls Jerry Seinfeld's P.C. Stance A 'Red Flag'

[quote] Sensitivity Awareness Not Bad Thing!!!

She mustn’t have watched her own shows post-Seinfeld.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus disagrees with her former costar Jerry Seinfeld on comedy turning too politically correct -- saying that stance usually set off alarm bells for her.

The actress sat down for an interview with the New York Times published Saturday where they asked her about remarks her longtime pal Jerry Seinfeld made ... when he called out the "extreme left" for ruining comedic television.

JLD says she's not in line with Seinfeld one bit ... saying certain comedies and dramas from years ago just don't work under modern scrutiny anymore -- and, being sensitive to that changing taste isn't a problem.

Louis-Dreyfus adds, "When I hear people starting to complain about political correctness — and I understand why people might push back on it — but to me that’s a red flag, because it sometimes means something else. I believe being aware of certain sensitivities is not a bad thing. I don’t know how else to say it."

Worth noting ... Julia doesn't namedrop Jerry here -- but the interviewer mentioned Seinfeld in the question, so it's a pretty direct contradiction with what Seinfeld said in April.

Julia expanded on her thoughts in a different part of the interview -- conducted 11 days after her initial comments -- expanding more on how people's viewpoints have changed which has led to more sensitivity towards the feelings of others.

BTW ... Julia's a pretty hardcore Democrat -- even hosting the DNC for an event a few years ago, so it makes sense she's not upset with all P.C. attitudes toward comedy.

We've reached out to Jerry's team ... so far, no word back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2024 2:08 AM

She’s always been insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2024 10:14 PM

Yay. Glad she spoke out. Jerry has gone to seed, mentally. Not sure whether he was ever a decent person. JLD sounds sane and sensible. She's not afraid to speak out.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2024 10:16 PM

She doesn’t do stand-up.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2024 10:18 PM

She has more comedic ability in one of her eyelashes than Jerry does.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2024 10:19 PM

[quote]She mustn’t have watched her own shows post-Seinfeld.

No one would accuse "Veep" of being culturally sensitive or politically correct.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2024 10:20 PM

Exactly, r5. She’s a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2024 10:26 PM

[quote]She’s always been insufferable.

Then why did you start the thread?

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2024 10:27 PM

So we can enjoy pointing out how insufferable she is.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2024 10:30 PM

Comedy is supposed to be transgressive.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2024 10:32 PM

[quote] She’s always been insufferable.

Comrade, please.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2024 10:33 PM

What she's saying is that comments like Seinfeld's are really codes for something else that can't be said as openly. There is a lot that's unspoken or implied in what he said, and that's what she's wary of. She obviously doesn't think all media should be PC. Being sensitive to a PC viewpoint isn't the same as slavishly adhering to it.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2024 10:33 PM

JLD probably said that so she could remain in the good graces of her woke fans who listen to her podcast.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2024 10:33 PM

[quote]Exactly, [R5]. She’s a hypocrite.

OP's remark could be read as "She's a hypocrite," but it also could be interpreted as "Her network sitcoms were unfunny because they were too culturally sensitive."

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2024 10:34 PM

[quote] JLD says she's not in line with Seinfeld one bit ... saying certain comedies and dramas from years ago just don't work under modern scrutiny anymore -- and, being sensitive to that changing taste isn't a problem.

Jerry wasn’t talking about bringing back Amos ‘n Andy. He talking about being silenced for not bending the knee to the idea that hurting someone’s feelings is “literal violence.”

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2024 10:42 PM

JLD has more awards and way more money so in Hollywood terms, she wins.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2024 10:43 PM

Far right troll thread FF and delete 😠

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2024 10:43 PM

The elephant in the room is Michael Richards. Jerry stood by him 100% after he was cancelled for that one outburst during the comedy set that ruined his career. Jerry has never gotten over it.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2024 10:47 PM

[quote] What she's saying is that comments like Seinfeld's are really codes for something else that can't be said as openly. There is a lot that's unspoken or implied in what he said, and that's what she's wary of. She obviously doesn't think all media should be PC. Being sensitive to a PC viewpoint isn't the same as slavishly adhering to it.

Absolutely correct. It’s code for “I hate Democrats, liberals, or progressives”.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2024 10:47 PM

Julia Loser-Dry Puss

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2024 10:55 PM

The distinction between liberals and progressives is becoming clearer to many. Among other things, liberals believe in freedom of speech; progressives do not. Democrats include both.

Seinfeld is criticizing progressives from a liberal perspective. That doesn’t mean he hates Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2024 11:00 PM

Wonder what she thought when 38 year old Jerry was dating a 17 year old high school girl?

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2024 11:17 PM

[quote] Seinfeld is criticizing progressives from a liberal perspective. That doesn’t mean he hates Democrats.

R20 - I disagree. I think he has full-on defected to the MAGA team. He hasn’t said it yet, but it’s coming.

by Anonymousreply 22June 10, 2024 12:29 AM

[quote] Comedy is supposed to be transgressive.

Yes, and there is a way to be funny without denigrating other people.

by Anonymousreply 23June 10, 2024 12:36 AM

"Transgressive" comedy punches up, not down.

by Anonymousreply 24June 10, 2024 12:40 AM

The grizzled and angry find their solace in maga.

by Anonymousreply 25June 10, 2024 12:56 AM

[quote] JLD has more awards and way more money so in Hollywood terms, she wins.

She’s a trust fund heiress and Seinfeld gave her her career.

by Anonymousreply 26June 10, 2024 1:02 AM

[quote] "Transgressive" comedy punches up, not down.

Two-year-olds speak like this. According to your fellow comrades, making fun of killer Muslims is punching down. No, comedy should pull no punches, pussy.

by Anonymousreply 27June 10, 2024 1:03 AM

[quote] "....and I understand why people might push back on it — but to me that’s a red flag, because it sometimes means something else."

Typical lefty female passive/aggressive behavior.

Julia dear, just tell us why you disagree with him without resorting to veiled comments.

by Anonymousreply 28June 10, 2024 1:04 AM

I listened to this interview before I saw this thread. The story’s headline is very, very misleading.

by Anonymousreply 29June 10, 2024 1:04 AM

[quote] The elephant in the room is Michael Richards. Jerry stood by him 100% after he was cancelled for that one outburst during the comedy set that ruined his career. Jerry has never gotten over it.

Put down the pipe. Jerry began speaking up when students began walking out and demanding his cancellations at schools because he was triggering. He’s also furious with the Left’s antisemitism. Michael Richards has nothing to do with anything. Go watch his documentary with Chris Rock and co.

by Anonymousreply 30June 10, 2024 1:05 AM

Julia’s reputation is awful in Hollywood. She treats everyone around her like crap and has absolutely no sense of humor. She’s basically Lucille Ball without the talent. She’s a billionaire thanks to her father. She grew up with a silver spoon in her mouth. She’s completely removed from society.

by Anonymousreply 31June 10, 2024 1:07 AM

[quote]She’s basically Lucille Ball without the talent.

LOL. Well, that doesn't leave much.

by Anonymousreply 32June 10, 2024 1:10 AM

Julia is funny, I don't care what they say.

by Anonymousreply 33June 10, 2024 1:11 AM

Funnier than Jerry, at least.

by Anonymousreply 34June 10, 2024 1:13 AM

[quote]According to your fellow comrades, making fun of killer Muslims is punching down.

So you settle for "making fun of" instead of actual comedy?

by Anonymousreply 35June 10, 2024 1:15 AM

[quote]Julia’s reputation is awful in Hollywood. She treats everyone around her like crap and has absolutely no sense of humor. She’s basically Lucille Ball without the talent. She’s a billionaire thanks to her father. She grew up with a silver spoon in her mouth. She’s completely removed from society.

Well my stars, OP, why don't you start a petition to get her booted out of Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 36June 10, 2024 2:24 AM

Julia does one character well. I get the Lucy comparisons. All of Julia’s tv shows are basically variations of the same character. She does snarky and bitchy quite well. But she will never top Seinfeld. Veep was painfully overrated.

by Anonymousreply 37June 10, 2024 2:32 AM

If Julia’s reputation is so bad and her treatment of everyone be so abhorrent, why did her peers vote so many times to give her the Emmy or the SAG award? Normally people who are largely disliked don’t win that many awards, which are basically popularity contests.

by Anonymousreply 38June 10, 2024 2:34 AM

OP has an ax to grind for whatever reason, r38.

by Anonymousreply 39June 10, 2024 2:44 AM

I love her so am super glad she said this. She is smart and incredibly funny so was a little bit intrigued if she was going to comment, she didn’t have to. But she did it in the most wonderful way.

Team Julia .

by Anonymousreply 40June 11, 2024 10:56 PM

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 41June 11, 2024 10:58 PM

r17 "for that one outburst"

That was quite an outburst, however

by Anonymousreply 42June 11, 2024 10:59 PM

Ugh, r37, i so completely disagree. To me she (and the parents of George Constanza) were the best things of Seinfeld. But she actually had a career afterwards,unlike Seinfeld. Veep was glorious. Christine was fine. He sounds horribly bitter for that oneshor he had and that made him a millionaire. I will not comment on the homophobia that is inherent to his recent Babbling.

And worse of all she is. Much funnier than him and always was.

Again, team Julia.

by Anonymousreply 43June 11, 2024 11:18 PM

I caught it in reruns but The New Adventures of Old Christine show she did was pretty good too

by Anonymousreply 44June 11, 2024 11:23 PM

[quote] Seinfeld gave her her career.

Larry David gave her the opportunity.

They worked together on SNL.

When NBC wanted to add a regular female character to the ensemble, it was David's idea to invite her to audition.

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2024 1:08 AM

[quote] If Julia’s reputation is so bad and her treatment of everyone be so abhorrent, why did her peers vote so many times to give her the Emmy or the SAG award?

Yep.

Until Seinfeld went full MAGA-nut, this website was full of posts about what vile, selfish, rude psychopaths Seinfeld and his wife were.

He's a paedophile and she started sleeping with Seinfeld just after her honeymoon to another guy.

Meanwhile, JLD is a 63-year-old actress who still gets lead roles, has a mountain of Emmys across three decades and has Marvel, Holofcener and Pixar wanting to repeatedly work with her.

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2024 1:26 AM

[quote] Go watch his documentary with Chris Rock and co.

[R30], is that the documentary where he spends the finale blowing Bill Cosby for 20 minutes?

Or the one where Louis CK and Ricky Gervais gleefully say the n-word while Rock cowardly says nothing and Seinfeld looks like he's got Michael Richards-related PTSD?

Which is the documentary that is meant to make Seinfeld look impressive?

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2024 1:32 AM

[quote] He's a paedophile

No, he’s not, you hysterical frau.

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2024 2:03 AM

Her couple of episode arc on arrested development is soooooooo funny. “Justice is blind!”

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2024 2:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!