Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DLers, what comics did you read growing up?

I was born in 1971 and started collecting comics in 1982.

I started with “Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew!” and then moved onto “The New Teen Titans” where I was able to read “The Judas Contract” and “The Terror of Trigon” stories as they unfolded. Did stints with “Atari Force” and limited series like “Ambush Bug” and “Crisis on Infinite Earths” before going to Marvel and reading “The New Mutants,” “The Uncanny X-Men” (when there was only one X book), “Power Pack,” “Alpha Flight” (until John Byrne left) and “The Fantastic Four” (again, until Byrne left) and then back to DC for Byrne’s “Superman” and “Action Comics.”

Left for about 8 years and came back for “Next Men.” Now I pick up things here and there.

And yes, Dick Grayson was hot and Byrne once drew Superman in tighter whites and it was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 25June 10, 2024 10:56 PM

Wonder Woman because as a child I worshiped Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman on TV.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2024 9:34 PM

The Legion of superheroes

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2024 9:37 PM

Nancy

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2024 9:40 PM

Dr. Cox

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2024 9:42 PM

I like GET FUZZY these days because artist Darby Conley draws main character Rob Wilco as a skinny otter with a hairy chest.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2024 9:42 PM

R2, I wish I had read “Legion” in the 80s when they were hot. I missed some good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2024 10:11 PM

Archie. Little Lulu. Richie Rich. Casper. Bugs.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2024 10:32 PM

Little Lotta

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2024 10:34 PM

Archie and She Hulk.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2024 10:36 PM

Millie the Model

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2024 10:37 PM

I mostly read Spider-Man and X-Men comics during the peak of my comic buying/following days. That was the early to mid-'90s, when every comic had multiple special covers and other gimmicks to drive up the perceived value of the comic. No wonder the industry crashed in the late '90s.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2024 10:47 PM

People were buying hundreds of copies of comic book events in the early 90s thinking they would get rich. Now they are stuck with closets full of ”The Death of Superman” and X-Men #1 (1991) that did not appreciate as much as they anticipated.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2024 11:26 PM

There was a wonderful little book DC put out in 1985 entitled “‘Mazing Man” that was a real gem. It only lasted 12 issues but was so good. It was about several people living in Ozone Park, Queens and a little former mental ward patient who thought he was a hero. His best friend, whom he met in the psych ward after a breakdown, was a guy who looked like a dog but was not a dog.

Frank miller liked it so much that he contributed his Batman and Robin from “The Dark Knight Returns” for a cover to try and boost sales.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2024 11:30 PM

I was born in 1966, and started reading comics in 1978, which was an ideal time to be a comics fan (or so I thought). Through junior high and high school, my favorites were Engelhart and Rogers's year-long run on Detective Comics (starring Batman), Claremont and Byrne's X-Men, Byrne's Fantastic Four, Frank Miller's Daredevil, Wolfman and Perez's Teen Titans, Stern and Rogers's Doctor Strange, and my favorite of all, Levitz and Giffen's Legion of Superheroes.

During college (84-88) I gave up almost all of them because all the creators I liked had left them, and only still bought some of the miniseries: Watchmen and The Dark Night Returns. In graduate school (starting in 89) I only bought the Legion of Superheroes when the "Five Years later..." storyline began and the Bierbaums and Giffen took over, and then I gave up reading comics altogether when Giffen left that title for the second time.

In retrospect, the best things from that were not the Legion stories, which I loved so much at the time, but the Miller Daredevil run (despite how dark it became, especially after Electra was killed), the Claremont and Byrne X-Men, and the first two years of Byrne's Fantastic Four (basically through the Galactus/Terrax three-parter). Watchmen was also superb.

Less impressive to me in retrospect now, by far, besides the Legion, are the Teen Titans (too derivative) and The Dark Knight Returns (too ultraviolent and pompous).

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2024 11:31 PM

I started collecting the Uncanny X-Men when I was 10 years old. John Byrne and Chirs Clermont were writing them and drawing them. I started when they introduced Dazzler, the Hellfire Club, Emma Frost, and the Dark Phoenix Saga. I kept on through the 90s when the X-books expanded. I stopped right around the time of the age of apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2024 11:53 PM

DC, Legion of Superheroes, Silver Age.

I was Lightning Lad. My brother was Cosmic Boy. My sisters were Shrinking Violet and Saturn Girl (or sometimes Triplicate Girl before she became Duo Damsel, because we'd have snacks and she'd insist on three portions).

Now I'd rather be Ultra Boy.

by Anonymousreply 16June 10, 2024 12:37 AM

I would ride up to the pharmacy on my big wheel and buy Teen-Age Romance, Girls’ Love, Young Romance and Teen Confessions with my allowance money. I was only in grade school, but my young heart demanded melodrama!

by Anonymousreply 17June 10, 2024 12:58 AM

Classics Illustrated.

by Anonymousreply 18June 10, 2024 1:08 AM

I read both DC and Marvel, but I liked DC more.

I loved Teen Titans, but Legion of Superheroes was my favorite. My favorite characters were Dream Girl, Sun Boy, Ultra Boy, Shadow Lass, Projectra, and Element Lad.

DC also had my all time favorite comic character, Black Canary.

I started to lose interest in comics once I hit college, for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 19June 10, 2024 1:20 AM

Richie Rich and Archie

by Anonymousreply 20June 10, 2024 1:30 AM

My comic reading years were roughly 1972-1980, and I read just about every Marvel and DC superhero title. My favorites were any of the team books, especially the JLA, the Legion, the FF and the Avengers. I was crazy about the Steve Gerber years of the Man-Thing and Defenders, which always gave me a little thrill knowing my parents would have shit if they realized what I was reading about. Because I was also a huge kaiju fan, the Marvel produced Godzilla series that took place in the Marvel Universe was a dream come true.

My favorite heroes were probably Hank and Jan (Ant-Man and Wasp), both for their superheroing and their epic romance. Hank's powers were cool and always evolving, but he was geeky and neurotic and didn't always receive the respect he should have, which I identified with hard. And Jan was flamboyant and fabulous but still a badass, which spoke to my little protogay heart (I've never understood why she's not a bigger icon among gay geeks). Jan was a wealthy, gorgeous debutante fashion icon, and could have had any man in the world, but she was devoted to Hank's goofy ass and he to her. I'll never forgive Jim Shooter for ruining Hank's character by turning him into a wife-beater, and I'm saddened that every attempt to retcon that one stupid panel has failed.

But my all-time favorites above all others are the golden age heroes. I loved DC's 100-Page Super Spectaculars because of the awesome 1940s reprints they often contained. I loved the oddball forgotten heroes like Air Wave and TNT, and couldn't get enough of the Fawcett Marvel Family reprints. Roy Thomas' Invaders was a favorite at the time, though I didn't appreciate the Frank Robbins art as a kid, and as an adult I devoured his All-Star Squadron. I sometimes wonder if my love for those old comics led me to grow into the Big Band loving, World War II romanticizing, TCM queen I am today.

by Anonymousreply 21June 10, 2024 1:56 AM

Legion of Superheros. I wanted ot be giant lad and then grab Ultra lad and stuff him in my under pants lol.

by Anonymousreply 22June 10, 2024 1:13 PM

“The New Teen Titans” shot their wad in 1984 by having “The Judas Contract” and the Raven/Trigon story happen one after the other. The book was never the same afterward; it had lost the momentum of waiting for all hell to break loose.

by Anonymousreply 23June 10, 2024 10:11 PM

In the newspaper? I liked Hagar the Horrible, Marmaduke, Peanuts and (later) Far Side and Bloom County

Magazines, then as now, I gravitated towards horror and absurdist humor so Creepy/Eerie/Tales of the Uncanny and Mad magazine.

I was born in 1967, so this is roughly early/mid 70s to early/mid 80s.

by Anonymousreply 24June 10, 2024 10:17 PM

OP, I wanna see Superman in his underpants. Please oblige.

by Anonymousreply 25June 10, 2024 10:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!