Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

10 drinks you should never order at a busy bar

Bartenders admit there's 10 drinks you should never order at a busy bar. Mixologists have made it clear that they really don't appreciate boozers ordering complicated concoctions.

After a few years of painting the town red and drinking the bars dry, most of us decide on a favourite tipple to knock back that we stick to.

It's tried and tested, the hangovers aren't that bad and, most importantly, it goes down a treat.

However, if it's a somewhat complicated concoction, you're going to really p*ss a bartender off when you order it on a busy night - in fact, the people rustling up our drinks even have a top ten list to completely avoid when it's crowded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 11, 2024 12:33 AM

If I bother to go out I'll order whatever it is I want and if it's on the menu why should I care. If they don't want or care to make it then don't have it on the menu.

What a stupid f****** article.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2024 8:22 PM

R1 Has stated his boundaries. Truth to power !

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2024 8:26 PM

Rule of thumb: if you're ordering directly from the bartender, stick to the basics. If you're ordering from a cocktail waiter/waitress, order what you want. I think the key words in OP's linked article are "busy bar" as some situational awareness goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2024 8:42 PM

Spicy margaritas are too difficult to make?? You've got to be kidding—it's like, 3 or 4 simple ingredients (2-3 if they use a premade mix). Instead the article suggests I should "opt for a glass of wine"? How is that an even remotely comparable alternative?

Maybe I should just sit down at the bar with my own flask and throw singles at the bartender all night. Would that be manageable enough for his highness?

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2024 8:55 PM

I’ll stick to my gin and tonic.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2024 8:58 PM

I'm sorry, but if all they can handle is vodka cranberries and draft beers, they really shouldn't be calling themselves "mixologists".

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2024 8:58 PM

I get the general sentiment of the article, but as R1 said (albeit in true R1 fashion) if I'm going out and paying for something, shouldn't I get what I want?

(for the record, what I want is a a Diet Coke on the rocks)

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2024 9:26 PM

Girl drinks all.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2024 9:30 PM

Order some drink the bartender has never heard of and then send it back numerous times because it "doesn't taste right."

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2024 9:32 PM

Former bar & restaurant worker here.

Depends on the bar, whether they get "upset" about a certain type of order.

If it's a beer and shots place, they're not going to like an order for a blended drink, like a piña colada.

Things are probably different, now that Vitamixes (supposedly easy to clean up afterwards) are in the game.

I once made the mistake of ordering (as a customer) a Negroni at a beer and shots kind of place. Tasted meh Bartender didn't even know how to make it and I showed him the recipe on my phone. He asked me how it was. I said "good." He ended up not charging me for it.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2024 9:37 PM

I love me a Gin Fizz in the summertime and have to almost apologetically ask for it because I know it's a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2024 9:42 PM

An establishment needs to have a sufficient number of trained bartenders to meet crowd size requests in a timely way.

Those mixed drinks are not cheap at quality bars, and customers usually pay more for multiple ingredient mixed drinks.

If serving mixed drinks is an issue with the business, make it clear to customers beforehand with signs and drink menu listings.

Being busy is not an adequate excuse to narrow usual drink offerings.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2024 9:47 PM

Bartenders are sick of being "worked to the bone"? The management should hire another bartender to help out.

Why are the patron's blamed? It's not their fault for under staffing. Besides, people like drinks they can't make at home.

So, I want a fucking Pina Colada, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2024 9:49 PM

Jon Taffer would throw this article in the trash next to some raw chicken (before it kills somebody). Being busy is no excuse not to make the drinks on your own menu.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2024 9:50 PM

Nobody is running around gathering ingredients for a Bloody Mary. Every bar I know of uses a pre-mix.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2024 9:54 PM

Former bar and restaurant worker here again — in the days before craft cocktails.

Bartenders have more respect for people who order stuff like X hard liquor on the rocks or neat. They actually give you a heavier pour.

Also, there is a drnks calling order. Those simple drinks like rocks drinks are called and made first. The frou frou stuff is near the end. Beers are called and pulled last.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2024 9:55 PM

R16 - thank you for info. My go-to is Jameson's on the rocks so I'll just keep on keeping on.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2024 9:56 PM

They have problems with a bloody? Who are these people? A bloody is one of the easiest drinks you can make.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2024 9:58 PM

R17, for rocks drinks, you can usually get a “free” short glass if Coke or other soda. E.g. “Crown [Royal] rocks, Coke back.”

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2024 10:04 PM

Even if it made some sense because it's bothersome, find a different occupation or shut up and make the drinks; they are paying, not asking you to make them a drink out of the goodness of your heart.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2024 10:13 PM

A Jelly Bean.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2024 10:14 PM

Former restaurant worker here, again.

I agree you should just shut up and make the drinks. Some bartenders didn't mind it if a blended drink order came in during a busy time. Some would have a hissy fit. That's where professionalism and personal sanity comes in. Some bartenders act like prima donnas and have really short fuses. It's stupid.

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2024 10:19 PM

This subject warrants an article?

If you’re impatient or a basic bitch, order accordingly.

Gin and tonic is my go-to.

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2024 10:25 PM

I agree with R1. Fuck the bar or bartender if the can't make the drinks on the menu.

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2024 10:25 PM

In your best Scarlett accent: "I'll have an Alabamah Slammah."

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2024 10:27 PM

don't ask for anything with more than 2 ingredients and don't forget to tip at least 50 percent for the trouble.

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2024 10:28 PM

tip 50% for a cocktail? You're insane.

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2024 10:35 PM

R27

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2024 10:40 PM

Also, Visine!

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2024 10:42 PM

I'm sorry but fuck that. You signed up to be a bartender. You make what people order.

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2024 11:24 PM

R16. Definitely my main concern when I go to a bar is whether the bartender has a sufficient amount of respect for me.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2024 11:31 PM

Cuales son los ingredientes para un cuba libre?

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2024 11:37 PM

Order whatever you want off the menu. The problems start when people order things that the bar isn’t set up to make easily.

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2024 11:40 PM

So if I order a Bacardi & Pineapple is my bartender going to be pissed off at me?

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2024 11:46 PM

So can I have a regular margarita or what? Will asking for a salted rim piss someone off? Or should I say skip the salt and piss them off even more? How about the garnish? Too much? Skip the garnish? Too specific and too much to remember? Christ.

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2024 11:52 PM

Who gives a fuck if the bartender's fefes are hurt. You're in business to serve your customers. Shut up and make my G-D drink.

by Anonymousreply 36June 10, 2024 12:00 AM

Bloody Mary is ridiculous, because 90% of people would be fine without the garnishments. Bartenders should just ask.

People just want vodka in a low sugar/calorie vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 37June 10, 2024 12:03 AM

The Ten Diseases You Should Never Contract, According to Doctors

The Ten Learning Disabilities You Should Avoid Having, Say These Teachers

The Ten Natural Disasters that Really Piss Off Relief Workers

by Anonymousreply 38June 10, 2024 12:12 AM

These experts don't want you to order a Bloody Mary during their busiest times. It's too hard to "find the ingredients", outside of a brunch.

by Anonymousreply 39June 10, 2024 12:14 AM

Iced piss

by Anonymousreply 40June 10, 2024 12:15 AM

Really depends on the situation. If you’re in a crowded club or pub where you order standing at the bar and need to gesture frantically to attract the bartender’s attention, like in most gay bars on a Saturday night, don’t order a girlish, chi chi cocktail. Stick to the basics. I always go for G&T. However if you’re in a cocktail bar that prides itself in having “mixologists”, where you will be served by a waiter/waitress, then I bloody expect to be served what I ordered, no matter how complicated. I usually like to challenge them, where I ask them to pour me something “fruity and spicy”. Always works.

by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2024 12:18 AM

I tended bar in Wisconsin at a rural shots and beer place.

With a packed bar, anything more than 2 ingredients is a pain in the ass.

For instance, a Brandy or Whiskey Old-Fashioned in Wisconsin is unlike it is in any other state.

If done from scratch: Fill large glass with ice, add a couple of splashes of bar syrup and a shake and half of Angustura bitters. Stir thoroughly (that's important). Add in two shots of brandy, fill with white soda, top with maraschino cherry or large bar olives.

When it's busier than Hell, and the rest of the customers are just ordering beer and/or shots and all you have to do is push it across the bar and pull back the cash and make change, an Old Fashioned is the last thing you want to make.

It disrupts the rhythm. Read the fucking bar room and order accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 42June 10, 2024 12:20 AM

Geezuz. A Bloody Mary is Bloody Mary MIX and vodka and maybe a prepared celery stick. You don't even have to mix the ingredients - it comes in a bottle already prepared. As Ina would say, how easy is that?

If a Bloody Mary sounds really difficult to make, we're talking about someone that has a 6th Grade education. At best.

by Anonymousreply 43June 10, 2024 12:22 AM

R42

Um, that's not our problem. It's yours.

Find another job where you're not taxed too terribly much, and the stress level is non-existent.

by Anonymousreply 44June 10, 2024 12:25 AM

If you're that busy then have a bar back to help out. sorry that having a bar with the full menu of cocktails is too stressful for you. If you want to be a beer in shots place fine then that's what you advertise and say that's all you have.

by Anonymousreply 45June 10, 2024 12:29 AM

No fresh mint, no mint juleps.

Otherwise, I love my hairy navels.

by Anonymousreply 46June 10, 2024 12:37 AM

'eres awhole lotta lushes up in this joint

by Anonymousreply 47June 10, 2024 12:38 AM

Just what IS the secret ingredient in a Flaming Moe?

by Anonymousreply 48June 10, 2024 12:45 AM

What does dude-brah.com have to say today, OP?

by Anonymousreply 49June 10, 2024 12:51 AM

How about this?

Ask for nothing, just give them a huge cash tip and walk away.

That's what they want.

Everything else annoys them, so get the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 50June 10, 2024 1:01 AM

We need automation at bars to remove despicable bartenders.

by Anonymousreply 51June 10, 2024 3:44 AM

they have robot bartenders in vegas.

by Anonymousreply 52June 10, 2024 6:29 AM

also they have those frozen drink machines so it's pretty easy to make pina coladas etc these days.

by Anonymousreply 53June 10, 2024 6:30 AM

This is precisely why I’m apprehensive about going to bars. Too many “rules”.

by Anonymousreply 54June 10, 2024 10:52 AM

Here’s a list of drinks you can order… but don’t order any of them!

by Anonymousreply 55June 10, 2024 11:19 AM

Um wait. Is the bartender hot?

by Anonymousreply 56June 10, 2024 11:39 AM

Conservatives = customer is always right

Liberals = screw the customers

The latter provide the worst customer service, because they inexplicably despise customers from the get-go.

And they're lazy, to boot!

by Anonymousreply 57June 10, 2024 11:49 AM

Up to this point, i'd convinced myselg going out wasn't worth the hassle.

Now I kmow I was right all along.

Fuck you, asshole "hospitality" (more like hostility) workers.

by Anonymousreply 58June 10, 2024 11:49 AM

[quote]Read the fucking bar room and order accordingly.

Thank you, R42. Excellent advice.

by Anonymousreply 59June 10, 2024 2:04 PM

"10 Ways Bartenders will never get a tip from me..."

I'm so tired of these articles with baristas and other fucking service industry staff warning about what they don't like you doing. Who gives a shit? Get another job then, I guess. I got three words for you, learn to fucking type, cause if you only want to make certain drinks and still expect tips, you're probably not going to be able to support yourself.

by Anonymousreply 60June 10, 2024 3:42 PM

For the price of cocktails these days I'll over whatever I damn want.

by Anonymousreply 61June 10, 2024 3:55 PM

Like I care what the bartender thinks.

by Anonymousreply 62June 10, 2024 3:56 PM

"I'll have a Nebraska Belly Warmer with Irish please. And make it snappy, bar byotch!"

by Anonymousreply 63June 10, 2024 4:42 PM

I think a lot depends on whether you are a "regular" of a bar / restaurant or just want to go once and try it out.

On the other side of the coin, bartenders and servers can treat the customers well (a drink or two on the house, nice table, food freebies, etc.).

I am the former bar / restaurant worker. If you like being a regular somewhere, then yeah - don't order a pina colada when the bar is slammed. You will, in turn, get nice treatment at random times.

by Anonymousreply 64June 10, 2024 5:34 PM

I ordered Grand Marnier and coffee once and they were not pleased....

by Anonymousreply 65June 10, 2024 5:39 PM

R64, a patron (especially a regular who tips well) should receive nice treatment at all times. Making a pina colada, when "bar is slammed" is part of the job. A true professional handles it gracefully. Furthermore, another bartender is needed, when the place is busy.

by Anonymousreply 66June 10, 2024 6:49 PM

Can I still order a blow job?

by Anonymousreply 67June 10, 2024 7:51 PM

Don't come into the emergency room when we're really slammed with a gaping head wound. When we're busy, keep it to splinters and sprains. In return, if you're a frequent visitor, we'll sometimes give you perks like free aspirin.

by Anonymousreply 68June 11, 2024 12:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!