Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Common store-bought foods/sauces/condiments that can never compete with the homemade version

Tuna/egg/chicken salads—store-bought is always drowning in mayonnaise and sickeningly sweet.

Guacamole—store-bought is always slimy and loaded with citric acid, which is all I can taste.

Tortillas—once you've tasted them fresh, you'll never be able to go back to dry, rubbery, store-bought ones.

by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2024 1:49 PM

Ranch dressing. Any bottled variety I’ve tried has always been gelatinous

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2024 6:40 PM

Kimchi.

Shop bought tastes disgusting, fizzy and chemical in comparison to home made. It’s worth the effort.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2024 6:43 PM

Mayonnaise

Store-bought beef, chicken, turkey

Store-bought eggs

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2024 6:45 PM

Non-creamy salad dressings.

I have had good bottled kimchi.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2024 6:48 PM

Store bought chicken or tuna salad is just ALWAYS missing something. I have all different kinds from luxury to regular grocery stores, each tasting different. It’s just always missing something that one cannot quite put their finger on.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2024 6:55 PM

[quote] Store-bought beef, chicken, turkey

Seems like it would be exceptionally difficult to avoid all three of these. Unless you just don’t eat beef, chicken, or turkey.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2024 6:58 PM

I agree, any kind of supermarket tuna/egg/chicken salads are gross and sugary. Same goes for potato salads and cole slaws. Don't be lazy and make your own at home.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2024 7:00 PM

Any chicken noodle soup from a can is disgusting and requires insane amounts of doctoring to make it edible.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2024 7:01 PM

R6 I think he means already cooked. Or maybe he is from West Virginia?

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2024 7:01 PM

Also most store bought "fresh" soups in the deli case are loaded with sodium. I don't know why they have to load them up with so much salt.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2024 7:04 PM

R10 so that they don’t go bad as fast.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2024 7:07 PM

Jewish/ New York deli tuna, chicken and egg salads, coleslaw and potato salad are better than most homemade. Agree that the supermarket versions leave much to be desired.

Sip and Feast on youtube has great recipes for deli salads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2024 7:38 PM

Sip and Feast guy James Talmadge says the secret to all deli salads is making them the day before and refrigerating them overnight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2024 7:40 PM

Homemade version of this can NEVER compete with store bought

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2024 7:42 PM

I liked the Sip and Feast guy until he started including his wife and kids.

Not interested in anyone's kids' opinion.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2024 7:46 PM

I’ll say it is store made but Starkist makes premade tuna salad that’s like 70 calories and it tastes alright. Conscious whores take note.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2024 7:50 PM

Has anyone ever had a good or even decent Deviled egg?

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2024 7:52 PM

*Store bought, I mean

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2024 7:52 PM

I'll buy Kroger potato salad every once in a while, but you need to add Creole seasoning, freshly ground pepper, dill relish, and fresh chopped parsley to make it edible — at which point I always wonder why I just didn't make it from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2024 7:55 PM

Tartar sauce. I can make my own in about 3 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2024 8:41 PM

[quote] I liked the Sip and Feast guy until he started including his wife and kids. Not interested in anyone's kids' opinion.

I agree. Like his tween son is the arbiter of culinary taste.

Also, people were asking for weight measurements (vs. cups and spoons) and he refused, saying that you're boring if you use weight measurements. Huh? It's more accurate.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2024 8:43 PM

[quote]Like his tween son is the arbiter of culinary taste.

You had me at tween son! Where do I sign up?

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2024 8:53 PM

Almost everything tastes better homemade by an experienced cook because you can control the salt and sugar content, but unless you're feeding a large family, who has the time or capacity to prepare and consume an entire batch of cole slaw or potato salad? Whole Foods is much better than Safeway

r13, thanks for the tip - I do make my own tuna salad (with finely chopped carrot, celery, onion, a dash of white wine vinegar and dollop of Best Foods/Hellman's) - I will refrigerate overnight.

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2024 11:06 PM

Store bought chili

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2024 11:10 PM

Fresh,, homemade mayonnaise is far superior to the glop you buy in the store..

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2024 11:19 PM

Gelson’s potato salad is best.

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2024 11:46 PM

^ Potatoe!

by Anonymousreply 27June 10, 2024 12:00 AM

Dorothy Lynch homestyle salad dressing

by Anonymousreply 28June 10, 2024 12:07 AM

[quote] who has the time or capacity to prepare and consume an entire batch of cole slaw or potato salad?

What? I work full-time and I think I can make a batch of cole slaw or potato salad if I wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 29June 10, 2024 1:16 AM

Rotisserie Chicken. Especially because of markets’ inability to entirely following the recipe from its proper beginning by laying one’s own eggs, as I do.

by Anonymousreply 30June 10, 2024 2:18 AM

Fresh,, homemade mayonnaise

Please use pasteurized eggs if you're going to give it to people with medical conditions. Thanks so much!

by Anonymousreply 31June 10, 2024 3:22 AM

My Three Bean Salad beats any store. One can Garbanzo beans, one can Red Kidney beans and one can Canelli beans. Sliced red onion to taste. Rinse beans well, add onion, toss together in a large bowl and in a separate container mix 1/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cups apple cider vinegar, shake. Combine all and chill if preferred. Filling not fattening and protein for days.

by Anonymousreply 32June 10, 2024 3:55 AM

All gravy...packet mixes to cans.

by Anonymousreply 33June 10, 2024 4:06 AM

I will consume a gas station egg salad and have no problem with it. However, homemade is much better.

by Anonymousreply 34June 10, 2024 4:22 AM

Pizza 🍕

by Anonymousreply 35June 10, 2024 4:24 AM

disgusting food that nobody should be eating!

by Anonymousreply 36June 10, 2024 6:17 AM

I’m sorry, r32, but that sounds revolting homemade or not. And do you ever stop farting?

by Anonymousreply 37June 10, 2024 6:39 AM

"I liked the Sip and Feast guy until he started including his wife and kids."

Maybe people were whispering, "Queer"?

by Anonymousreply 38June 10, 2024 7:23 AM

I always remember the Sip and Feast guy having his kids on, except maybe for very early on.

Initially he had the daughter on, but the son has been on for as long as I can remember.

Since the show's primary focus is cooking for the family, it never seemed weird for him to have the son on at the end to comment.

For the past year or so he and the wife also have had a podcast which I find fairly interesting, although her voice tends to be monotonous.

by Anonymousreply 39June 10, 2024 10:23 AM

He calls his wife Mama.

by Anonymousreply 40June 10, 2024 11:34 AM

Mashed potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2024 1:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!