Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Jessica's Chastain's Home at the Osborne

She divorced the Italian count so the place is for sale.

The kitchen's dull and I'm not a tub-in-the-bedroom fan. I like everything else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 11, 2024 3:16 PM

Where did you get the info that she divorced her husband?

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2024 5:35 PM

Love the green color scheme

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2024 5:38 PM

Beautiful and classy, just like her. The kitchen is rather dull and empty.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2024 5:41 PM

Some of the wallpaper is a bit much, but otherwise gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2024 5:46 PM

It's all done up in colors flattering to her skin tone. It's like it was decorated by this lady.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2024 5:46 PM

I wonder if she’s broke.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2024 5:46 PM

Ahem. This lady

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2024 5:47 PM

I love it. Truly a tasteful home. Could be stuffy but somehow it’s not. Love the jukebox.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2024 6:00 PM

Wow, impressive.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2024 6:18 PM

Beautiful apartment. Nothing not to like other than some obvious tings that onewould expect to change: wallpaper and wall finishes (those faux light circassian walnut panels or whatever they are in one of the principal rooms) and the personal effects (furniture, etc.)

The one possible downside is that none of the rooms are large, though the very high ceilings are terrific and comensate to a large extent. It's a great building and this apartment is one of the least fucked with, the alterations all compatible with the original details.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2024 7:13 PM

“403 Forbidden”

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2024 7:15 PM

Too old-fashioned and conservative for me. Looks like a grandma's apartment.

Every piece of furniture is fine but doesn't stand out. Very little character in decor. Why bother?

Beautiful details though - the windows, ceilings, some of the light fixtures, etc.

Gorgeous apartment 'bones' - it feels like they highlighted that with having the most dull and boring decor you could find. You don't have to either/or. Snoozefest.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2024 7:31 PM

She spends no time at all in that kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2024 7:31 PM

R12 Don't you know how to paint the walls and buy some plants and art?

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2024 7:42 PM

R14 - Yes - but usually these tasteful friends discussions are about the property AND the style. Not commenting alone on floorplan and architectural elements.

Any idiot knows decor can be changed - I just don't know why they picked THIS bland, uninviting decor.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2024 7:47 PM

I thought she had died or something.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2024 7:49 PM

Where does she cook her fragrant vegan meals?

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2024 7:50 PM

$7,450,000.

In a minute if I had it.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2024 7:55 PM

[quote]I just don't know why they picked THIS bland, uninviting decor.

It's almost like different people have different tastes.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2024 7:58 PM

r19, sparkling people see their homes as the setting where they are the diamond.

I believe that Jessica would be stunning in every room.

That's why it is elegant, mute and perfectly understated.

Plus, it's the OSBORNE, it isn't Trump Tower.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2024 8:03 PM

I've seen numerous better 'Tastefuls' here over the years.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2024 8:04 PM

r21, don't let the better be the enemy of the perfectly fabulous.

But Tasteful Friends is based on OPINIONS.

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2024 8:07 PM

Fancy! That was the point, right? FANCY! It's nice but too "total decorator".

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2024 8:07 PM

I cannot open the link.

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2024 8:09 PM

OMG! #4AA in the Osborne would be MY PERFECT NYC pied-à-terre.

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2024 8:15 PM

Does she know where her children are?

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2024 8:20 PM

Does anyone know what these mean?

flip tax: 3% Paid By Buyer mt: $7,259

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2024 8:44 PM

Funny thing…I knew the late Robert Osborne, and yes he lived there.

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2024 8:47 PM

Beautiful apartment, but the total lack of any discernible views or outside access from the apartment is a bummer ☹️

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2024 8:51 PM

Stunning.

I want it, but will need to trade the husband in for bigger coin.

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2024 8:56 PM

I love it.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2024 9:16 PM

[quote] Beautiful and classy, just like her. The kitchen is rather dull and empty.

Just like her.

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2024 9:20 PM

Yeah, no discernable views. Maybe why it seems somewhat "affordable."

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2024 9:25 PM

I remember this one, a perfect garçonnière.

One would need a country home of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2024 9:47 PM

This is beautiful, very little I'd want to change, although I agree with OP about the tub in the bedroom. Also not keen on having a jukebox in the lounge. The kitchen is a bit bland but perfectly adequate and funtional for me, maybe just ad a bit of colour to it. Fantastic building too.

R34 that place is stunning especially for its size. I could probably manage that without a country home

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2024 9:57 PM

All that money and you choose to live on fucking 57th St.? No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2024 9:58 PM

This might be a better link.

I haven't read anything about a divorce, but since he's a count he definitely comes from old money, which is probably tied up by a bunch of lawyers and older family members.

I bet he's cash poor and probably needs some new money from his rich actress wife, who was born to teenage parents and grew up poor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2024 10:06 PM

R27

My guess is that the flip tax is paid by the buyer and is assessed on the sales price? The $7500 is the monthly maintenance. Again, guessing.

by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2024 10:11 PM

r34, #4AA in the Osborne is a perfect pied-à-terre. Glad you agree.

r25

by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2024 10:35 PM

So you have to pay $90,000 a year just to live in that building. No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 40June 9, 2024 10:44 PM

Thank you r37.

I love what she's done with it and her use of colour in particular. Bold but not overdone.

by Anonymousreply 41June 9, 2024 10:46 PM

And on 57th St. no less r40

by Anonymousreply 42June 9, 2024 10:54 PM

Wow, I don’t get this decor at all nor the colors. It’s all replaceable obviously but it just seems very tepid.

I do like the warm woodwork; it’s been refinished so it isn’t that awful heavy dark brown varnish. The downstairs lobby is stupendous.

by Anonymousreply 43June 9, 2024 11:00 PM

[Quote] Snoozefest

People say “snoozefest” as if that’s a bad thing. I would attend a snoozefest, moving around things in my schedule, and you could name your price.

by Anonymousreply 44June 9, 2024 11:04 PM

Is this Pete Buttygeek’s gay husband???

by Anonymousreply 45June 9, 2024 11:05 PM

I’m sorry but I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 46June 9, 2024 11:09 PM

^ Don't be sorry embrace your hate and celebrate it

by Anonymousreply 47June 9, 2024 11:14 PM

R37 Deux Moi said so, IIRC, so take it for what it's worth.

She has not commented.

by Anonymousreply 48June 9, 2024 11:29 PM

It's a lovely home, especially for a pretentious white trash girl from Sacramento who regularly "skipped school to read Shakespeare".

by Anonymousreply 49June 9, 2024 11:44 PM

Maintenance is too expensive!!!

by Anonymousreply 50June 9, 2024 11:48 PM

She’s the one who has that secret childhood that she won’t discuss. Methinks she grew up with loons which would explain her behavior.

by Anonymousreply 51June 9, 2024 11:48 PM

Not surprised Jessica is selling this. She couldn't afford it to begin with. Her movies are all low-budget.

by Anonymousreply 52June 10, 2024 12:26 AM

I think I'd choose The Osborne over The Dakota. But it's not something I'll ever have to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 53June 10, 2024 12:41 AM

R46 What do you hate about it?

by Anonymousreply 54June 10, 2024 12:55 AM

R52 She's one of the biggest movie stars of the last 20 years and she is married to an Italian count. Yet, she can't afford it? Don't be stupid

by Anonymousreply 55June 10, 2024 12:58 AM

Jessica also owns an $8 million townhouse on the Upper Westside.

Were both of her kids through a surrogate?

by Anonymousreply 56June 10, 2024 1:04 AM

[quote]Does anyone know what these mean?

[quote]flip tax: 3% Paid By Buyer mt: $7,259

R27, yes, a flip tax is a charge levied by the co-op association whenever a membership (apartment) changes - a sort of club initiation fee beyond the monthly payments.

The $7259 is the monthly maintenance fee. For co-ops (not condos), this includes property tax.

by Anonymousreply 57June 10, 2024 1:15 AM

Love it, love it, love everything.

by Anonymousreply 58June 10, 2024 2:29 AM

R54 - All that Victorian era wood paneling is just so ugly to me. It’s the same style as The Dakota which was built at the exact same time. It would be a mistake to remove all that paneling. I might paint over it all, which I’m sure would make every Queen on this thread apoplectic. And I loathe stained glass.

I can’t imagine Jessica Chastain has any taste or style at all. Her fashion sense is terrible. She probably just hired a well-known designer and said “do what you want to make it cohere with the architectural style of the apartment.”

It feels like somewhere that a contemporary Dracula might live. I just find it so ugly. I’ve rarely had such a visceral dislike to a celebrity house.

by Anonymousreply 59June 10, 2024 11:04 AM

My suggestion, R59: don't buy at the Osborne or the Dakota.

by Anonymousreply 60June 10, 2024 12:56 PM

A flip tax is common in co-ops. It is an easy way to generate revenue for the building’s reserve fund.

by Anonymousreply 61June 10, 2024 1:09 PM

Sure, but: $223,500 to the building's reserves, $155,000 to NYC and State (transfer tax) BEFORE you move in and then $90,000 a year to stay there?

by Anonymousreply 62June 10, 2024 1:47 PM

Yea—that’s the way it works. You’re not buying a house. You’re buying shares in a corporation that entitles you to a lease of a particular unit—so the first and third points make sense. That’s how you fund the corporation to maintain the building, pay utilities and taxes, and finance improvements.

The second point is applicable to every parcel of real property—not unique to co-ops.

by Anonymousreply 63June 10, 2024 1:57 PM

You also get a tax deduction on the portion of the maintenance attributable to property taxes and interest on the building’s wrap around mortgage.

by Anonymousreply 64June 10, 2024 1:59 PM

Love the apartment. Can’t imagine living on 57th Street though. Midtown is a horror show to me.

by Anonymousreply 65June 10, 2024 2:17 PM

R59 Wow, you really hate it. I think you are in a small minority for this one

by Anonymousreply 66June 10, 2024 2:17 PM

r62 the cost of living in NYC is NUTS.

by Anonymousreply 67June 10, 2024 2:28 PM

R67. Do you own a home? Don’t you set aside money for repairs and improvements? Don’t you escrow or save money to pay your mortgage and taxes? When you bought, or if you sell, aren’t there other fees and charges to be accounted for?

It’s really not different …

by Anonymousreply 68June 10, 2024 2:34 PM

Yeah, my coworker just bought a condo in Brooklyn, it's one bedroom and he pays over 8000 a month

by Anonymousreply 69June 10, 2024 2:40 PM

Not that I could afford it, but the $90,000 maintenance fees on this property would be the biggest prohibition to me to living in this apartment. That doesn't include the annual costs for household bills, cleaning, improvements, insurance, etc. It's really only the very rich that can afford to waste that much money every year. So, you don't even own it, you're just leasing it as long as you live there. I will be curious to see if anyone meets Jessica's asking price, which is around $2.5 million more than she initially paid.

by Anonymousreply 70June 10, 2024 3:28 PM

R68: "It’s really not different …"

I know it's an old building in an expensive city and one that appears well-kept, but to buy a place for roughly $7.5 million, and then pay another $500,000 the first year you live there AND THEN pay $90,000/yr to stay there on top of the mortgage is very, very different than what most of us pay. I own a home Zillow says is worth a million dollars. Of course I set aside money for repairs and maintenance - old houses fall apart if you don't. I don't escrow but of course I pay taxes, directly to the city quarterly. And of course there are deed registration fees, inspections, insurance, etc. all of which cost money when you buy a house. But I don't pay 1/7th or so of what she does.

As Scott Fitzgerald is supposed to have said once to Ernest Hemingway, "You know, the rich are different from you and me" to which Hemingway replied, "Yes. They've got more money." Lots more, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 71June 10, 2024 3:33 PM

R70 you’ve entirely misunderstood the legal and economic concept of co-op living.

by Anonymousreply 72June 10, 2024 3:42 PM

I live in a 2 bedroom in a desirable neighborhood, on a high floor, with full Manhattan views from every room. The market value is +- $2 million. The maintenance is ~$2200 month. That monthly payment pays my share of the property taxes, the building mortgage, repairs, new improvements, a full staff of a super+doormen and porters, a rooftop deck, a garden, water and A/C. Over 50% of that is tax deductible.

On a comparative basis, very similar to the numbers above. I’ve got a great deal—

by Anonymousreply 73June 10, 2024 3:49 PM

To add: I only use my own situation as an example of how the economics can and work at a variety of income levels/real estate values. Co-ops are an integral part of the NY real estate puzzle. If the economics didn’t work, then co-ops would not have survived as a linchpin of real estate.

by Anonymousreply 74June 10, 2024 4:03 PM

R73 - New Jersey?

by Anonymousreply 75June 10, 2024 4:15 PM

Huh?

Manhattan

by Anonymousreply 76June 10, 2024 4:22 PM

Co ops are not as popular as they once were with all the costs and co op board bullshit. Condos in modern buildings with all the modern amenities are more popular than ever.

Many people these days wouldn't think of living in a building that didn't have an on-site fitness center and a washer and dryer in the apartment.

by Anonymousreply 77June 10, 2024 5:05 PM

Yes, but the dryer takes forever to dry your clothes. My friend's apt has washer dryer but I don't know how they vent it, takes hours to dry clothes pretty sure that is bad for clothes

by Anonymousreply 78June 10, 2024 5:17 PM

“Condos in modern buildings with all the modern amenities are more popular than ever.”

Caveat: do a Google search of construction lawsuits in NYC condo projects, and get back to us. Or read up on condo association assessments, and the problems with residents failing to pay.

by Anonymousreply 79June 10, 2024 5:21 PM

R79, plus once the sponsors leave, no work will be done

by Anonymousreply 80June 10, 2024 5:31 PM

And all of those amenities start to wither on the vine…

by Anonymousreply 81June 10, 2024 5:45 PM

Better to have amenities than none at all.

Of course this is Datalounge where so many posters think it's still 1965 and they're CZ Guest which is why they worship these old out of date limestone piles not suitable for modern living.

by Anonymousreply 82June 10, 2024 5:55 PM

[quote]Or read up on condo association assessments, and the problems with residents failing to pay.

That's on the residents, not the condo boards.

by Anonymousreply 83June 10, 2024 5:55 PM

Of course many of our resident DLers don't care for modern amenities since they've never seen the inside of a gym and as long as they have a VCR to play their old VHS tapes of Dynasty they're happy. Silly me.

by Anonymousreply 84June 10, 2024 5:57 PM

R83 non-sequitir, but I’ll take the bait. Who do think is responsible for enforcement? The doorman?

by Anonymousreply 85June 10, 2024 6:03 PM

If people don't pay they don't pay. It happens in co-ops too.

by Anonymousreply 86June 10, 2024 6:05 PM

And the remedy is quicker in a co-op.

by Anonymousreply 87June 10, 2024 6:07 PM

So what r87?

Condos are better if you're into modern living.

by Anonymousreply 88June 10, 2024 6:08 PM

What is modern living?

I live modernly, in a co-op. Your post (or posts?) don’t seem to make much sense, or reflect the reality of living in NY. They are different, yes. Co-ops aren’t going away, however, and condos do not have some unique or overriding advantage.

by Anonymousreply 89June 10, 2024 6:13 PM

Kathy, I’ll give you a call if you promise to put a blouse on between your sagging naked skin and that vest. Eesh.

by Anonymousreply 90June 10, 2024 6:24 PM

Some of the co/op fees cited here seem reasonable but not for this property. They are way too high. No wonder Jessica is broke and trying to offload it.

by Anonymousreply 91June 10, 2024 6:38 PM

What an ugly apartment. I hope it was inherited because if not, yikes. The floor plan shows a workable home but the photos are just dressing.

by Anonymousreply 92June 10, 2024 6:55 PM

Co-ops are really a NY thing. They don't make much sense but there you go.

by Anonymousreply 93June 10, 2024 7:51 PM

the rules in co-op are too much for me. gotta be quiet at 10pm. blah blah blah

by Anonymousreply 94June 10, 2024 8:02 PM

I don't do HOAs and I don't do co-ops. They're both a special kind of hell.

by Anonymousreply 95June 10, 2024 8:06 PM

I much prefer co-ops. It's a pain to get in, but the process goes a long way to ensure that bother buyer and co-op board know what they are getting into with each other. Condo owners have a "fuck you it's mine to do with as I please" attitude and like all the mod-cons and concierge services and such things; they will think nothing of ripping an apartment apart for months and fuck the neighbors. Co-op owners can be imperious in their own ways, but more comically, and the thing the value is that the building be maintained as it is or should be - not that it be updated to every newfangled thing. They want a foorman who's a door man, an elevator operator who's an elevator operator, a porter who's a porter, a front desk person who's... They will slit your throat before they let you embark on an open-ended "gut reno" -- those are for condo people. They insist on quiet and on not accommodating strange whims if new people who want new things -- that's for condo people. Co-op people have a certain distrust of one another but also a certain respect for anyone who tries to do right. Condos are every man for himself; co-ops are about knowing how the votes will go. Co-ops want members who are snooty enough to keep to themselves but respectful of basic decorum in the building; it's a society built much more on respect than friendship (though most co-op people develop a couple good friends in their building.) co-ops are about knowing that your neighbors are not the sort to keep chickens in their apartment; condos are about having to take the chicken people to court.

by Anonymousreply 96June 10, 2024 10:16 PM

R96 - very true BUT don't think the co-op boards are any different than condo boards. Same power-trip people making questionable decisions and ruling against others because they personally don't like it.

That's why a lot of celebrities have been rejected from co-op buildings. The list is numerous.

Madonna, Barbara Streisand, Calvin Klein, Carly Simon, Billy Joel, Cher - can you imagine what they said when they were rejected?

by Anonymousreply 97June 10, 2024 10:30 PM

Grandma chic. It’s not exactly my style but it’s tastefully done. I do like a bit of vintage but mixed with modern. This is a bit too busy for me.

by Anonymousreply 98June 10, 2024 11:28 PM

Have condos completely replaced co-ops in new construction, or are they still being built?

by Anonymousreply 99June 10, 2024 11:42 PM

What's wrong with 57th street?

by Anonymousreply 100June 10, 2024 11:56 PM

R99 new construction is invariably condo—that’s intentional by developers, as much for their own needs as it is a case of buyers’ perception that it is easier to re-sell (which perception is overstated IMHO).

by Anonymousreply 101June 11, 2024 12:16 AM

[quote]What's wrong with 57th street?

It's a noisy shitshow with sirens blasting 24 hours a day.

by Anonymousreply 102June 11, 2024 12:25 AM

That area is noisy as hell, way too much traffic. But I appreciate how convenient that location is.

by Anonymousreply 103June 11, 2024 12:38 AM

Lez be friends

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 11, 2024 12:52 AM

[quote]Many people these days wouldn't think of living in a building that didn't have an on-site fitness center

I'd like to know how much use those "fitness centers" in new luxury buildings actually get.

Most people in those buildings don't want to run into their neighbors. Privacy, anonymity is king.

by Anonymousreply 105June 11, 2024 1:13 AM

From what I've seen they get a lot of use. Most people aren't agoraphobic shut-ins like some DLers.

by Anonymousreply 106June 11, 2024 1:15 AM

R104 Huh?

by Anonymousreply 107June 11, 2024 1:52 AM

The white tile is the wrong color and look for the kitchen. They should be warmer to match the cupboards and perhaps in a matte glaze or a simple unobtrusive pattern.

by Anonymousreply 108June 11, 2024 6:00 AM

[quote]new construction is invariably condo—that’s intentional by developers, as much for their own needs as it is a case of buyers’ perception that it is easier to re-sell (which perception is overstated IMHO).

Agreed, R101. For me, the co-op/condo divide comes largely to a matter of taste in architecture. I prefer old buildings and the old buildings that have enjoyed the greatest degree of respect for their original design and details are typically co-ops. Condo projects, no matter how much they may tout historic architecture in some cases, usually make broad and extensive changes in development projects and end up leaving token bits of historic architecture and elements. New developments that tout classic design and detailing like Robert A.M. Stern's 15 CPW usually settle on slightly higher ceilings and a lobby with a theatrical nod to generic historic references -- a few historic-like details scrambled up for show for people who like the idea of something different without actually liking the ickiness of living in a place where people have lived before them. Itś not that condo developers of new or preservation projects are inauthentic in little details, itś that they get almost all the things wrong: the progression and hierarchy of spaces, the volumes of rooms (with some height, not just sprawl), the quality, solidity, and other aspects are forsaken for the trendy finishes of the moment that are a few cuts above Property Brothers. (And of course the Osborme was plenty trendy in its time, and its detailing is very specific to the period, but it was done well and a complete package, not as a package of compromises and watered down gestures toward quality.)

by Anonymousreply 109June 11, 2024 7:08 AM

I lived in noisy areas and you get used to it. I lived on a cable car line in San Francisco (which is surprisingly noisy - the sound of the cable itself is loud - even if one of the trolley cars isn't going past). I also lived near a hospital (ambulance sounds all the time). I would trade off the convenience. Cities are noisy.

by Anonymousreply 110June 11, 2024 7:43 AM

Yea—all of Manhattan is “noisy” by any definition. You get used to it. From one sude of my apt. I hear a major avenue and a major cross-town street. From the other side I hear birds chirping from sunrise to sundown, and little kids laughing and playing. I’m good.

by Anonymousreply 111June 11, 2024 11:21 AM

R28 Robert Osborne seemed like a real gentleman. I really enjoyed his commentary on TCM.

by Anonymousreply 112June 11, 2024 11:45 AM

This article about Chastain buying the apartment states it was Leonard Bernstein's until selling it in 1974.

[quote]The apartment has long been a haven for the theater elite. Bernstein lived in the apartment until 1974, at which point he sold it to cabaret star Bobby Short who then sold it to the current seller, Adam Guettel, a Tony-winning composer who is also the grandson of Richard Rodgers and son of composer Mary Rodgers Guettel, who was chairman of Juilliard when Chastain was a student at the school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113June 11, 2024 11:49 AM

And this article confirms the Bernstein connection. He kept a studio apartment on another floor for work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114June 11, 2024 11:52 AM

Anyone else hear Bunny MacDougal's voice while viewing the photos? I'm watching SaTC right now on E!. Bunny was rubbing Vicks on Trey's chest.

by Anonymousreply 115June 11, 2024 3:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!