Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which "Friday the 13th" sequel is the best?

I more or less enjoy all of the films in the series for pure entertainment value, but I think Part II is my favorite, mainly because I find Jason's brief sack mask/pickaxe era in it visually terrifying (plus, it has a lot of atmosphere, similar to the first film).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2024 7:51 PM

I've heard other slasher fans say part 2 is the best, OP. Maybe I should rewatch it. I like Freddy vs Jason

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2024 7:48 AM

R1 it's my personal favorite--it has a similar feel/atmosphere to the first film but a slightly different locale and more characters, all of whom are pretty memorable. I like Part III as well even though many people hate it because of Dana Kimmell's obnoxious performance. Part III is, tonally speaking, a very different movie; it was the first of the series to be shot in California rather than on the east coast, and it very much has a different vibe (not to mention an audacious disco theme song). Still, a lot of fun.

I'd say all of the sequels up to "The Final Chapter" were the best. After that film, there was a notable decline IMO, but, again, even the really bad sequels have plenty of fun to offer.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2024 7:53 AM

Part III wins for me, but only because of the Harry Manfredini score.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2024 8:16 AM

3 is my favorite but if I am watching 3 I will probably watch 4 after and why not start with 2. Richard Brooker is my favorite Jason (he was surprisingly handsome and charming in real life). Dana Kimmell doesn’t annoy me and I enjoy her final showdown with Jason. I like all the kids. I love the Higgins Haven. Great music.

2 has Amy Steele. I think she’s the favorite final girl of the whole series. I like her love interest. Sackhead Jason is great. It’s nice to see Crazy Ralph and Alice back. Likable kids. I like that the comic relief kid (teddy) survives by staying at the bar with the unnamed kids (including a black and Asian kid). A few of the actors did soaps.

4 has a great house. Another cast of likable, memorable kids. Ted White is excellent as Jason. He’s Possibly the fan favorite Jason. The introduction of Tommy Jarvis. Good final showdown. Another cast with soap actors.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2024 9:01 AM

Part 6 because it's like a real movie.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2024 11:52 AM

Part II has one of the scariest murder scenes in the whole series IMO. Jason lunging out of the bed with that sack mask is fucking terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2024 6:35 PM

Part 7: the new blood is almost all gay men. An old friend from college was in it and it killed his career. He now lives in a shack near Lake Michigan just south of Saugatuck.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2024 7:14 PM

R5 is correct. Part 6 feels like the best put together sequel. Actually I think it might be the best Friday, period. The direction is superb. The story, the characters, the humorous dialogue, the atmosphere, the kills. CJ Graham really elevated Jason to new heights. The music is just outstanding and they nailed the ending. It’s one of the best horror movies ever made, IMO.

The only issue is that young Tony Goldwyn was overly dressed. If I’m the director and he was cast, there would’ve been a sudden script rewrite that had him skinny dipping in a lake. “Hey Tony, can you swim?”

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2024 7:41 PM

Another Part 3 fan here. Cheezy disco and 3D, plus loads of inventive kills. Not to mention the extra cheezy biker gang. This one was almost as campy as Showgirls!

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2024 7:50 PM

R8 Part II also had the openly gay Tom McBride, Lauren-Marie Taylor's wheelchair bound love interest. He died of AIDS in the '90s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2024 7:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!