Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I loved Maurice Sendak’s work,just love his work then

Heard him speak at Herbsts theater SF some 30 yrs ago and what a prick-so glad that bitch is dead-spoiled bitch is dead.

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2024 3:21 PM

what

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2024 6:58 AM

Sad! One of the most artistically gifted Americans of the last century.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2024 7:07 PM

Has “Where the Wild Things Are” been cancelled yet for its normalization of child starvation? The poor child retreats into a fantasy world to escape his demonic mother, but he’s portrayed as a “bad boy” who deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2024 7:33 PM

Of whom was he speaking?

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2024 7:36 PM

Oh, sorry, I thought you were quoting him saying he was glad that some spoiled bitch was dead, which would be totally in character.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2024 9:34 PM

Sendak was a rational and honest man. His bluntness must be what triggered OP.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2024 10:39 PM

And I also think OP is probably drunk. Imagine getting wasted and going on a rant about Maurice Sendak. I hope OP isn’t drunk-texting his friends about him!

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2024 10:42 PM

I actually talked to him on the phone once. He was a total grouch. He also was obsessed with Brad Pitt.

He talked a little about “In the Night Kitchen” and said he was interviewed by a woman about it and he says the milk was semen; she hung up on him.

But yeah. Cranky man.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2024 10:44 PM

OG Bav comment on Bav post with Janis Joplin photo. I love OG Bav and think we should build her a shrine or something.

“JuST about to finish up Janis's ON THE ROAD with JANIS JOPLIN pretty much day-to-day autobiography book written by her road manger from start to gruesome finish JOHN BYRNE COOKE..good, entertaining book too with LOTS of details I had never known about eve though I knew a lot ...

Spent a wee half hour or so, in the afternoon with Janis and her buddy Jimi Hendrix in 1968 Golden Gate Park on a Sunday afternoon when Janis was to perform ( all for free then ya know) after the Dead and Gracie with the Jefferson Airplane sang and were about to finish....Janis wanted to butt ahead of me in the port-a-potty line ( had her WAY STRONG Oil of Patchouly scent on me for the rest of the day with her ONE tap only, on my shoulder ...whew) and when she was still in the Port-a-potty using her syringe..oh yea...I had gone in the stall next to hers, came out and Jimi was there waiting for Janis and asked ME for a light...said Janis had " borrowed" his.

So of course I smoked cigs, gave him my lighter and watched him pull a big fat J from behind his ear, lit it, took a few BIG puffs and did the obligatory thing of handing it to me...I was still only 15 but I was NOT about to turn down sharing a nice fat J with Hendrix and soon after Janis came out of the port-a-potty...pale and f--ed up as heck...CHUCKING OR THAT CACKLING SOON after AS she DID AND Janis joined us and handed me her 5th of Southern Comfort which I was reluctant to drink from the bottle ( my folks were wine or Scotch and water in a Waterford crystal old fashioned kind of glass right 😉 but I took a PULL as she called it and passed the J too..oh boy...those were some fast times I used to have...I have the stories to share but...no one cares anymore about them from someone like me... a nobody, like you are famous, Kevin, a well traveled ( I used to be for a good 55 years ) published writer. ...Poof and OM”

by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2024 4:20 AM

He drank the milk of other men

by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2024 4:27 AM

[quote]He also was obsessed with Brad Pitt.

Care to elaborate? Define obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 11June 10, 2024 4:30 AM

[quote] The poor child retreats into a fantasy world to escape his demonic mother, but he’s portrayed as a “bad boy” who deserves it.

That’s the best part.

by Anonymousreply 12June 10, 2024 4:31 AM

Fags husband was kid’s pshyc. Dr. so they knew what appealed to kids/scared kids. Had a fag-hag in publishing at the right time.The rest is history.

by Anonymousreply 13June 10, 2024 1:51 PM

I was never really a fan of Where the Wild Things Are as a kid, but he was an interesting man.

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2024 3:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!