Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do most adults with Cluster-B personality disorders realize something is wrong with them?

I work with a woman who has one, probably borderline personality disorder. She's tenured and cannot be fired, so we all look forward to her retirement. She pretty much makes the life of everyone around her hell. But I can't figure out if she realizes something is really wrong with her, or if she just thinks everyone else is crazy and she's normal.

by Anonymousreply 40June 12, 2024 12:57 PM

[quote]She pretty much makes the life of everyone around her hell.

What does she do OP?

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2024 4:44 AM

r1, she's always angry at people over something, and makes it widely known.

Recently she started berating people publicly over group emails, and two different people were able to raise formal complaints about her to the Dean of the Faculty so that it went on her permanent record. She's stopped for now from the public attacks (and was abashed for a while about them, especially when the Dean let everyone know this woman had been out of line). But you can tell she still seethes at almost everyone who disagrees with her about anything.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2024 5:01 AM

Even if they realise it, they don't care because the whole fucking world rewards psychos the most and so they often come far in their respective fields.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2024 5:19 AM

Even if they realize something is wrong with them, it's for a short moment before the cognitive dissonance and shame becomes too overwhelming, and they find a way to blame the other person or group. Some of them never have a second of self-awareness.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2024 5:23 AM

In their minds they are better than everyone else. And always a victim. While simultaneously being the biggest, cruelest bullies on planet earth. The problem in their minds is everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2024 5:27 AM

Does this woman teach anthropology?

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2024 5:45 AM

r6: no.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2024 5:48 AM

No, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2024 6:02 AM

What R4 said.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2024 6:11 AM

I know someone so fucked up that they don't even know what's happening most of the time. Yet they always remember that it's someone else's fault.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2024 6:30 AM

Mary, you should get a hobby and keep your nose free of the ****DRAMA!**** at your workplace.

I didn't say it would be easy.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2024 6:44 AM

Forget it, Jake—it’s Academiatown.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2024 12:00 PM

In my experience, no. They are unable to admit even partial responsibility for anything. Which is why they're perpetually angry with other people.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2024 12:24 PM

She just needs a good fuck. Slip one of the better looking grad students $50 to plow that dusty bowl.

Feel free to post nude photos here of all the potential candidates for the job. We'll help you select the weiner.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2024 12:24 PM

Why do people get TENURE? They then just do what they want, or nothing, teachers think their shit doesn't stink, most are crazy anyway, I knew that when I was a kid, it draws freaks and criminals.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2024 2:17 PM

They think everybody else is just like they are.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2024 2:31 PM

R16 hit the nail on the head. Teenagers usually go through a phase where they think everyone is just like they are. It takes full development of the frontal lobe to get past that stage but for whatever reason (usually drugs), it never happened with these people.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2024 4:03 PM

“You’re worthless! WORTHLESS LITTLE SHIT. After all I’ve done for you…”

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2024 4:09 PM

My friends in academia describe the behavior of their colleagues and it makes me think that mental illness is absolutely rampant among college faculty.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2024 4:10 PM

No they don't believe they are ever in the wrong. The other person is wrong or the other person "made" them to do whatever they did that was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2024 4:13 PM

Each of us has a side to ourselves that we cannot see.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2024 5:07 PM

Some people are aware of their disorders and others are not. I have a personality disorder and cannot be in a romantic relationship nor can I work in a small office or workplace with only two or three other people. I cannot be a parent except to a pet. I know that sometimes, many times, I am "the problem." However, after years of therapy and humiliating experiences, I've learned to try to manage my responses to adverse situations.

On the other hand, my mother was a textbook narcissist and nothing was ever her fault. She would also deny the insults and emotional abuse she directed at us kids. She claimed her upbringing was idyllic but I have my doubts.

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2024 5:42 PM

Can you move, OP? You're right in my eyeline. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2024 5:44 PM

My mother thought everyone else was crazy or wrong, but never her.

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2024 5:46 PM

My 50 year old stepdaughter: diagnosed Bipolar 1, was involuntarily institutionalized after driving 48 hours all over Texas in a paranoid state, has had all her partners/husbands leave her, stoned every time I see her, talked about her polyamory parties in front of her son, ran through a 1M inheritance from her mother as “real estate investments.” But stopped speaking to me when I told her the last 70,000 she demanded from me (I handle her dad’s finances, as he is in early stage dementia) and told me I was managing her dad’s care (he will remain at home as long as possible, which I hope is all the way to the end of his life). She always knows better than everyone else, despite the fact that she has the maturity of a 16 year-old. She may have a Cluster B diagnosis for all I know (Borderline? NPD? Who knows? Who cares?)

I’ve decided never to have any direct contact with her again. She hasn’t bothered to check in on her dad (there are other relationships she could contact if she cared.) I guess once it was clear the money train was done, she lost any motivation to pretend to care about anyone other than herself and her snotty brat (whose father has PTSD and is still a more responsible parent than she is—they share custody but he was smart enough never to marry her).

And yes, I have all legal bases covered—power of attorney, medical proxy, legally married.

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2024 6:01 PM

OP, is her name Amy "Boom Boom" Bishop?

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2024 6:07 PM

[quote] But stopped speaking to me when I told her the last 70,000 she demanded from me (I handle her dad’s finances, as he is in early stage dementia) and told me I was managing her dad’s care (he will remain at home as long as possible, which I hope is all the way to the end of his life).

One of the best things about people with these kinds of personality disorders is that they always think they're punishing you when they stop speaking to you, and it's usually a huge relief.

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2024 6:07 PM

R19, As someone who has been in academia for 22 years, I can tell you that your sense is correct. I do want to add that I've met some lovely, level-headed folks in academia. But I've also met some of the most self-absorbed people you will ever find. I think even people in Hollywood would say "wtf?"

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2024 6:31 PM

Personality disorders run RAMPENT in academia.

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2024 6:33 PM

Am I the only one who didn't know that Cluster A, B, C designations?

Does that mean I'm Cluster A?

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2024 6:34 PM

The bitch upstairs knows she has BPD, she's officially diagnosed with it and goes back and forth between 'I may Have BPD but I have cured myself and this is all your fault and I am the innocent victim in this' to 'I have BPD and therefore nothing is my fault because I am mentally ill'

I actually, truly, fucking hate her. And am repulsed by her very existence.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2024 6:35 PM

r30, A is schizoid types, B is Narcissists, Borderlines etc (the ones who when untreated will make your life hell) and c is obsessive compulsive (different than ocd btw) personality disorder and avoidant.

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2024 6:38 PM

Oh she can be fired, doll. You're just not trying hard enough.

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2024 6:46 PM

yes, i know someone like that, nothing is ever their fault and they must be always right, never wrong. If you prove them wrong, they get fucking angry...

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2024 7:11 PM

Cluster A (odd/eccentric): Paranoid, Schizoid, and Schizotypal personality disorders

Cluster B (dramatic, emotional, erratic): Antisocial, Borderline, Histrionic, and Narcissistic personality disorders

Cluster C (anxious/fearful): Avoidant, Dependent, and Obsessive Compulsive personality disorders

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2024 8:04 PM

Watch out OP. Sounds like another Dr. Amy "Boom Boom" Bishop.

Why does it seem so many people in academia are totally fucking crazy?

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2024 8:08 PM

I know someone who is a mix of cluster b and c. he's definitely OCD. a real psycho. the worst thing is I can't even avoid him, I have to deal with him in my business.

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2024 8:16 PM

Definitely not me.

by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2024 8:29 PM

Cluster B personality disorders, like drained pasta and The Golden Girls, is a topic that DL NEVER tires of.

by Anonymousreply 39June 12, 2024 12:36 PM

My ex not only had borderline personality disorder, she was also a marriage and family therapist. She knew exactly what it meant when her therapist told her that she had it. She immediately dumped the therapist and then pretended to have associative disorder (she found a therapist to tell her that she had multiple personalities— a dubious diagnosis in almost every case). She protected her ego strength by denying she had BPD. They can’t handle the truth, almost quite literally.

by Anonymousreply 40June 12, 2024 12:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!