Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Movies you recently re-watched that were even better the second time

Now that the movie industry has changed so much, I find myself re-watching movies from 20-40 years ago.

Recently re-watched “Collateral,” and it’s much better than I remember (Miss Tammy notwithstanding.)

Anyone else have a favorite re-watch?

by Anonymousreply 24June 10, 2024 9:00 PM

The below because I catch new jokes on every rewatch:

Drop Dead Gorgeous

The Brady Bunch Movie

The Birdcage

Clue

The First Wives Club

In & Out

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2024 3:41 AM

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Otto Preminger's Anatomy of a Murder (1959) I saw it decades ago on commercial television, but I appreciated it more as an adult. It's not only the best Preminger film I've seen, it's the best courtroom drama I know of. The cast is amazing, and Stewart received the Best Actor award from the NY Film Critics Circle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2024 4:06 AM

Addams Family Values

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2024 4:23 AM

R2 Did you read the book? Been thinking about reading it this summer

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2024 4:37 AM

NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM. I remember enjoying it when it came out (2006), but I saw it again in its entirety a few weeks ago and absolutely LOVED IT!! Funnier than I remembered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2024 4:39 AM

The Italian Job with, yes, Mark Wahlberg and Charlize Theron.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2024 4:53 AM

Just to say: LEE REMICK WAS BEAUTIFUL-thx

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2024 5:31 AM

INTO THE NIGHT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2024 5:56 AM

R4 Never read the book nor have I seen the recent film Anatomy of a Fall. Murder was nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Adapted Screenplay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2024 8:25 AM

Bergman’s filmography for me. When I was in college I dove into a lot his movies (Persona, Cries & Whispers, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, Scenes From a Marriage, Autumn Sonata). I knew they were great films with great performances, great cinematography, great everything…but they didn’t hit me on an emotional level.

A few years ago I picked up the Criterion Bergman set and it’s been a revelation. The films are not pretentious at all. They’re highly watchable and engaging. Now in my 40s, I understand so much more of what he saying now that I’ve dealt with heartbreak, deaths/illnesses in the family and the general grind of going through daily life. Liv, Bibi, Ingrid and Harriet have frequently moved me to tears (Mary! I know!); I truly couldn’t recommend Bergman’s films more!

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2024 11:27 AM

Koyannisqatsi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2024 11:30 AM

Black Swan. The first time I saw it there was so much going on it was hard to take it all in. Is she crazy, is this real, is her overbearing mother molesting her, why is she plucking feathers out of her skin. But I was intrigued enough to watch it several more times after my first viewing and every time I see something I hadn't seen before or come up with a new theory. It's a fascinating movie and Portman deserved that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2024 12:08 PM

McCabe and Mrs. Miller

Petulia

Nashville

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2024 12:26 PM

Wow, R13, you took me back. I don't think I've heard the word "Petulia" since the original release of the movie!

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2024 1:32 PM

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I recently watched it again on a plane ride. It holds up very well, and I had to catch myself from laughing out loud too much, keeping it to controlled snorts here and there.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2024 1:43 PM

For reasons I will never understand, Inhated Fargo when I saw it in the theater. So did my best friend. I just didn’t get it at all and everyone seemed so nasty in it except for Marge. Watched it again and realized it is a masterpiece. One of my top ten favorite films.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2024 2:11 PM

"Down and Out in Beverly Hills" gets better every time I watch it. It's a very good film.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2024 5:38 PM

PeeWee’s Big Adventure - seriously

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2024 5:41 PM

R2 I'm going to watch Anatomy Of A Murder for the first time tonight, based on your recommendation!

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2024 6:20 PM

I watched Hitchcock's I CONFESS recently and while it's not among his very best, it was much better than I recall and better than its reputation. The only downside is Anne Baxter, who comes off as very actressy next to Montgomery Clift.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2024 7:03 PM

I saw The Breakfast Club as a teenager and hated it. I think it just pushed too many triggers for me (teenaged Mary!) Now much older, I saw it recently again and, although I don't think it's a perfect movie, I can appreciate why it's considered one of the best teen movies.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2024 7:22 PM

R21 were you a horny teenager when you first watched it?

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2024 7:54 PM

Saw Alfred Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder in NY years ago when it was revived and shown in 3-D. I found it talky and dull but seeing it recently I enjoyed it more. It might work better on a small screen. It basically has 1 set and feels like a play.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 10, 2024 8:49 PM

Zodiac is one of those movies that keeps getting better the more you watch it. I didn't care that much for it the first time I saw it, but now it's one of my all-time faves.

by Anonymousreply 24June 10, 2024 9:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!