Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Remember the Motown Medley scene in “Gimme a Break”?

Nell’s home for her sister’s wedding in. Alabama.

Nell Carter, Tea Hopkins, and Lynne Thigpen do their thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 12, 2024 1:47 AM

Sorry, TELMA Hopkins.

by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2024 6:26 PM

LOVE this! Too bad they didn’t make Lynne Thigpen a permanent (or recurring) part of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 2June 8, 2024 7:07 PM

Lynn Thigpen was so talented. I was lucky enough to see her in "Tintypes" on Broadway, where she brought the house down at the end of Act I by singing Bert Williams's great old song "Nobody."

by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2024 7:11 PM

Thigpen was great in “Godspell” when she sings “O Bless the lord My Soyl.”

by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2024 7:45 PM

These three women had so much talent between them. And by this point in the series, the show was less and less about the girls.

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2024 7:47 PM

I just saw Thelma when she and Joyce came out on stage to sing "tie a yellow ribbon" with Tony Orlando. I'd link it but I don't have a clue where I saw it, some reel somewhere. He looked ...unfortunate. the girls looked terrific

by Anonymousreply 6June 8, 2024 7:55 PM

Found it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 8, 2024 8:03 PM

Awwww, R6! Tony Orlando and Dawn makes me think of my mom.

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2024 8:03 PM

I have a weird distant connection to Gimme a Break. My stepsister was a writer on the show. I didn’t grow up with her; her father and my mother married when I was 18 and she was a few years older.

by Anonymousreply 9June 8, 2024 8:47 PM

Try this link instead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2024 9:31 PM

Hopkins looks good.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2024 12:36 AM

My mother (referenced in R8) always swore that Tony Orlando never got over Freddie Prinze’s death.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2024 12:55 AM

I was lucky to see Thigpen in college theater. A star even then.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2024 2:19 AM

Not because she was black but hated that Nell Carter-thought she was Hattie McDaniel.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2024 4:49 AM

I love this.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2024 10:00 AM

Dollface thread 🪆 🧵

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2024 10:48 AM

If this was made today this thread would be full of Freepers whining about DEI and wokeness.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2024 11:00 AM

Well, Carter had a lot of talent and was offered a sitcom after her huge success in “Ain’t Misbehavin’”. And the part they wrote for her was basically a modern-day mammy; it’s not surprising that that the show started digressing from that after a couple seasons and became “Nell and Addy.”

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2024 11:00 AM

Nell Carter, no matter how big she was, always moved like a hot skinny chick.

So talented, a closeted lesbian and a wild cocaine enthusiast.

There's your trifecta.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2024 12:16 PM

R12- He always seemed like a big QUEEN 👸 to me.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2024 12:21 PM

Great show ! Sorry Nell Carter had such a difficult life . Great comedic actress with a great voice .

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2024 2:32 PM

[quote]Too bad they didn’t make Lynne Thigpen a permanent (or recurring) part of the cast.

I don't know how many times one has to appear as the same character to be considered "recurring," but I think she made at least 3 appearances as Nell's sister over the course of the series, so I assume that may have been enough to categorize her as a recurring member of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2024 6:12 PM

Though I loved this scene in which Nell sang "Amazing Grace" at her father's funeral, the fact they interrupted it for a sappy insert with Carl and Samantha was ridiculous in my opinion. That shit could've waited until after the song was over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2024 6:19 PM

I will never forget Telma Hopkins being flipped onto a couch by Nell in the opening credits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2024 7:27 PM

Nell verbally and physically abused the entire cast onscreen

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2024 9:19 PM

[quote] I think she made at least 3 appearances as Nell's sister over the course of the series, so I assume that may have been enough to categorize her as a recurring member of the cast.

It's not.

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2024 9:22 PM

Not all of these were Motown songs.

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2024 9:29 PM

I think I"d rather have seen Nell Carter as Mama Rose in Gypsy over Audra McD.

It's a shame she didn't do more live theatre. I saw her in Ain't Misbahavin'..... she was the real deal onstage.

You can see it in this clip.

by Anonymousreply 28June 11, 2024 1:58 AM

R23 Is that the episode when Sam was pissed at Nell and got Joey to do blackface? That shit trips me out.

I don't remember "Gimme A Break" when it aired and I barely remember "227" and "Amen," but I STILL watch them ANY chance I get.

by Anonymousreply 29June 11, 2024 11:56 AM

Love Nell she was such a talent!

by Anonymousreply 30June 11, 2024 9:53 PM

I really like the episode with the earthquake - Nell’s trapped in the library basement.

by Anonymousreply 31June 12, 2024 1:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!