Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

40 years ago 'Dominique' arrived on 'DYNSATY'

40 years ago, the hit show 'DYNASTY' ended it's fourth season with a mysterious woman checking into 'La Mirage' hotel in Denver, not too far from the Carringtons. The mystery woman was a beautiful, elegant, wealthy black woman named 'Dominique Devereaux', played by the Tony-winning actress Diahann Carroll, who was 49 at the time. In interviews, Carroll said she met with producer Aaron Spelling (she was a huge fan of 'Dynasty') and asked him to let her join the show and become 'the first black bitch' on a night-time soap. He liked the idea, and the two of them got to work on who her character would be.

Her character was a single mother to a 19 year old girl, and Carroll suggested she be a former secretary to Blake Carrington who had an affair with him (in the mid-60s) and got pregnant by him - she wants him to acknowledge his daughter, and let her have a share of his wealth. However, Spelling had just introduced 'Amanda' a daughter Blake never knew he had with Alexis, and didn't want to bring in another child.

They settled on Carroll being Blake's unknown half-sister, and the storyline went nowhere. Just a lot of unexplained bickering between her and Alexis (though she really had nothing to do with his former wife Alexis).

Wouldn't it have been better if they introduced her as Alexis' un-known half sister ? Maybe they shared the same father or mother ? It would have been much more interesting and explained more about their constant fighting.

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2024 6:48 PM

When I was a pre teen homosexual I thought that Dominique and Blanche were related.

by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2024 4:58 PM

[quote]40 years ago 'Dominique' arrived on 'DYNSATY'

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 2June 8, 2024 4:59 PM

Her best scene was coughing up blood while singing at the piano for guests.

by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2024 5:17 PM

I primarily think of burnt champagne when I think of Dominique

by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2024 5:25 PM

I like the idea of Carroll beating his daughter instead of the storyline that came to be. I felt Carroll was underutilized. There were some nice scenes with her and Lady Ashley, probably the only time I liked Ashley but then they got rid of her.

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2024 5:39 PM

, she's lucky it wasn't One Life to Live

by Anonymousreply 6June 8, 2024 5:51 PM

R5 When did Carroll beat his daughter ? And which daughter - Fallon or Amanda ? (I can't imagine I missed that episode).

by Anonymousreply 7June 8, 2024 6:26 PM

Her entrance was amazing, as were a couple of her scenes with Joan Collins. However the character turned out to be a real bust. I suspect Joan wamted to be the only bitch on the show so they had to make Dominique dull as dishwater.

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2024 6:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!