Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elliott Smith is still dead and "Needle In The Hay" is still great

and I don't think he killed himself by stabbing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2024 8:11 AM

My favorite all time musician.

Funny enough, Cobain is my second favorite.

I loved them both WAY before either committed suicide (or were murdered). So after Elliott, I quit having favorite musicians as it became clear I was the kiss of death.

Of all the songs of his I love (basically every one), this is the one I love the most today:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 7, 2024 9:25 PM
by Anonymousreply 2June 7, 2024 9:30 PM

Are you suggesting he was murdered, OP? Is there evidence or anything shady about the reporting? Why do you think it was covered up?

by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2024 4:45 AM

R2. Elliott is one of the best singer songwriters of all time. Think Paul Simon meets Nick Drake. He's known for intricate guitar work, a haunting voice, ethereal melodies and fantastic lyrics.

He was a late 90s staple in the indie music scene. He was nominated for an Academy Award for his song Miss Misery from Good Will Hunting. He committed suicide in 2003 by stabbing himself in the chest.

by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2024 9:53 AM

R3: “While Smith's death was reported as a suicide, the official autopsy report released in December 2003 left open the question of homicide.”

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2024 11:02 AM

It continues to baffle me that fellow fans could listen to his music, know his personal history (including his history of self-harm and suicide attempts), and question whether it was suicide. The lack of hesitation wounds means a lot less for someone like Smith than it would for most people.

by Anonymousreply 6June 8, 2024 11:55 AM

Let’s see: he was fighting with his girlfriend, he had two stab wounds to the chest, and her fingerprints were on the knife because she pulled it out.

Oscar Pistorius went to jail on similar - though not the same - facts.

Yes, ES was suicidal. But there are other factors.

by Anonymousreply 7June 8, 2024 12:27 PM

R7, he previously stabbed himself in the chest, among other incidents of abusing himself and trying to end his own life. That was prior to his relationship with Chiba.

My only question about his death is whether he did it because he was genuinely ready to die or if it was a BPD stunt gone awry. The circumstances point to latter, which makes me particularly sad for his partner.

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2024 12:39 PM

FBI profilers say that serial killers who use knives as their weapon of choice use them as a substitute for a penis—that it's an inherently sexual act. I wonder what that says about someone who commits suicide by stabbing themselves.

by Anonymousreply 9June 8, 2024 1:29 PM

The other interesting thing about his death is that was sober.

I remember when he died, I assumed he'd gotten high (after being sober for a while) and offed himself in frustration because, once again, he couldn't stay clean. (Or something to that effect.)

But no. He died sober.

by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2024 5:13 PM

I can’t recall ever hearing of ANYONE else stabbing themselves to death. It’s a hell of a story.

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2024 6:18 PM

He had a thing for really dramatic ways of killing himself.

Once he was going to throw himself off a cliff, but he couldn't bring himself to do it at the last second.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2024 4:13 AM

I saw him perform live twice around the turn of the millennium--once in Portland, once in Knoxville.

Both times I was taken back by how incredibly little presence and charisma he showed on stage until the moment he began to actually sing.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2024 4:22 AM

Darnay Hoffman ended his life in the same way.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2024 5:09 AM

R13 totally. I saw him at The Echo in December 2002. I was in college and we found out he was doing a secret show. My best friend and I waited all day.

He walked by us at one point and he was so small and nondescript. Cut to him on the stage and he was just mesmerizing once he started. With nothing more than himself and a guitar and that damn voice.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2024 8:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!