Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A French Expat Tries Buying in Dubai. What Could She Find for Under $1 Million?

This feels like the most NYTimes story ever, maybe only second to "We spoke to a group of Trump supporters at a Cracker Barrel outside Xenia, Ohio. Here's what they want."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2024 6:08 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 7, 2024 8:03 PM

I’m going to Dubai!

by Anonymousreply 2June 7, 2024 8:05 PM

The real question is why?

by Anonymousreply 3June 7, 2024 8:32 PM

They occasionally feature people with less than 500k to spent but they're never looking for a place in a major city.

by Anonymousreply 4June 7, 2024 8:34 PM

How stupid. “Lifestyles of the rich and stupid”

by Anonymousreply 5June 7, 2024 8:38 PM

Amazes me that any Western raised woman (especially single) would move to the Middle East, but maybe having a million dollars gets you past a lot of the bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 6June 7, 2024 8:40 PM

The Middle East isn't a monolith, r6. There are a TON of expats in Dubai so she should have no problem finding western cock. It's not for me but I can see someone having a lot of fun in Dubai if all they wanted to do was shop, eat and swim in a pool. There are definitely worse places in the world.

by Anonymousreply 7June 7, 2024 9:44 PM

[quote]There are definitely worse places in the world.

[quote]Homosexuality is illegal in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and under the federal criminal provisions, consensual same-sex sexual activity is punishable by up to the death penalty[7][8][9], up to 15 years in prison[10], fines, floggings, and deportation. Extra-marital sexual activity between persons of different sexes is also illegal

I would disagree. :)

I did read that the UAE is among the least strict Middle Eastern countries before posting that, but still.

It doesn't sound horrible, but it doesn't sound great either, especially coming from Western Europe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 7, 2024 9:53 PM

I think people forget that there are debtors prisons in Dubai.

by Anonymousreply 9June 7, 2024 9:56 PM

I too wondered why they published that. Of course, I didn't read it. But hell -- she's not even a New Yorker!

by Anonymousreply 10June 7, 2024 10:00 PM

Homosexuality is illegal in many places but enforcement varies, r6 :). I would rather visit the UAE as a gay person than Saudi Arabia. Agree that neither is ideal but I object to r6's lazy generalization about the Middle East as if it is all the same.

by Anonymousreply 11June 7, 2024 10:30 PM

I enjoy that feature much the same way I do Tasteful Friends here. Both help me understand what I would really want should I ever buy another house or condo. Probably condo. TF caused me to be helpful on Facebook the other day, when people were oohing and aahing over the low price of a condo here in Boston until I pointed out the astronomical maintenance fees. Also got a satisfyingly defensive response from the Realtor.

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2024 12:38 PM

[quote] but I object to [R6]'s lazy generalization about the Middle East as if it is all the same.

When it comes to the criminalization of homosexuality, it IS ALL THE SAME!

There may be some nuances in freedoms that women get to enjoy, but their overall treatment of relegation to a second class comes close to uniformity, IMO.

Finally, as a wide swath of the Muslim world, they are pretty much all the same in worshipping an inherently violent religion that is at odds with evolving with the rest of the world’s religions.

by Anonymousreply 13June 8, 2024 12:57 PM

I hate these fucking articles. “She Had $250,000 to spend in Nantucket. Why This Spells Trouble for Biden.”

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2024 6:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!