Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Six year-old girl killed in “freak badminton accident,” and she wasn’t even playing

Mourners donate over $90,000 to grieving family.

Am I the only one who has questions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 11, 2024 5:19 PM

[quote]Lucy was outside with her siblings on the last day of their trip when one of their badminton racquets suddenly broke, and a sharp piece entered her skull.

That's a lot of force, what the hell happened?

by Anonymousreply 1June 7, 2024 7:02 PM

There’s a blog!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 7, 2024 7:03 PM

All it says is “ Due to a freak accident with a racquet that broke on a downward swing, a sharp piece had entered Lucy’s skull while she was sitting on the sideline and caused catastrophic injury.”

Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 3June 7, 2024 7:06 PM

[quote] He said Lucy was outside with her siblings on the last day of their trip when one of their badminton racquets suddenly broke, and a sharp piece entered her skull. She died on Wednesday morning after several days in the hospital.

Freak accidents scare me more than an aneurysm out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 4June 7, 2024 7:06 PM

That is an odd description. Reminds me of the time my daughter, having been kidnapped by a small, foreign faction and hidden in our own basement, tripped and fell on a garotte.

by Anonymousreply 5June 7, 2024 7:09 PM

This was a common occurrence back in the 1970s, when badminton was more popular. Many holiday picnics were ruined by the death of a family member from impalings by a rogue breakaway racket shaft. Responsible parents insisted that everyone wear helmets and protective goggles while playing.

Just kidding. One of the siblings beat little Lucy to death and Pastor Jessie is trying to save face.

by Anonymousreply 6June 7, 2024 7:11 PM

Yeah, I think the parents massaged the official story a bit. One of the siblings probably flung the racquet to the ground in frustration, it snapped, and landed in the poor girl's brain. But they wouldn't get all that money if they told the truth.

by Anonymousreply 7June 7, 2024 7:13 PM

Thankfully my kiddos only play pickleball.

by Anonymousreply 8June 7, 2024 7:14 PM

It was, of course, an accident. Unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 9June 7, 2024 7:15 PM

[quote] The pain this morning felt so deeply embodied. We woke up with chest pain. I felt grief grip my solar plexus as I groaned at her bedside. I truly felt like the Spirit was interceding for me changing my groaning to words before the throne of God. But my pitiful prayers were just one utterance among many thousands because today is Resurrection Day. The day the church of God gathers to corporately war against sin and the devil, and to proclaim that Jesus is not dead anymore but dealt death a death blow. We started today in such anguish, asking, “What about this ‘peace’ people talk about in suffering? Are we not spiritual enough? What in the world could peace be besides just the physical collapse that we feel?”

I know, right?

by Anonymousreply 10June 7, 2024 7:15 PM

Can we all agree that pineapple was obviously involved?

I think one of the kids made a wild swing and accidentally bashed her head in, that’s why they are being purposefully obtuse. The guilty child obviously feels terrible.

by Anonymousreply 11June 7, 2024 7:17 PM

Pastor = another word for grifter.

by Anonymousreply 12June 7, 2024 7:17 PM

r10 Fucking hell, they're one of *those* people, too?

by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2024 7:17 PM

“Dealt death a death blow.”

Are we SURE?

by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2024 7:23 PM

I apologize to the Pastor—I misread him. I thought he said “death dealt a death blow” as a description of what happened. Sometime I have trouble following the Jesus talk.

by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2024 7:25 PM

R12 Priftor or Grastor, which best describes their shenanigans?

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2024 7:29 PM

Mrs. Patsy Ramsey,

You're only questioning this because you're embarrassed that you didn't think of it first!

by Anonymousreply 17June 7, 2024 7:50 PM

Don’t be silly—too many witnesses.

by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2024 7:52 PM

I thoroughly reject the notion that one of the other children might have been involved. A six-year-old child’s skull is thick. Trust..

by Anonymousreply 19June 7, 2024 7:55 PM

Yeah it entered her skull by one of the parents bashing it in with the racquet. And people were dumb enough to donate? My god.

by Anonymousreply 20June 7, 2024 7:59 PM

Far be it from me to make a rash, unsupported, totally speculative accusation about the mysterious, violent death of a back-talking child.

by Anonymousreply 21June 7, 2024 8:06 PM

[quote]And people were dumb enough to donate?

They were motivated by Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 22June 8, 2024 8:22 AM

He’s good at this:

“We were ready to go to war with all of you by raging against the darkness,” he said.

An outpouring of support, including visits from relatives and other church leaders and congregants, gifts of food and flowers, as well as expressions of support sent by some of the tens of thousands of people who read the pastor’s accounts, were reminders of God’s benevolence, the pastor wrote.

“Like gold at the bottom of a deep dark well, there was and is evidence of God’s grace in this utter tragedy, we just had to be willing to plumb the depths to see it,” he said.

Green Pond Bible Chapel will hold a funeral service for Lucy on June 15.

“My desire is for her story to be one of hope,” Morgan told NBC News on Friday. “Even though the worst has happened, it has helped others.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 8, 2024 12:43 PM

The police say the brother did it, gently.

[quote] Maine State Police investigators found that Lucy Morgan, 6, had been playing outside with her 10-year-old brother when the aluminum shaft of a badminton racquet became dislodged from its wooden handle, causing the shaft to strike the girl in the head and pierce through her skull.

The metal shaft’s “dislodging” from the wooden base “caused” to metal shaft to pierce her skull.

Satan?

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2024 12:58 PM

Piece of shit Made in China?

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2024 1:04 PM

If the shaft “became dislodged” from the handle, the head of the racket would be by far the heavier end, since the weight of the handle balances the weight of the head . I don’t see how the metal shaft could accidentally pierce anything, let alone a skull.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2024 1:17 PM

Badminton? That's certainly a novel approach!

*takes notes*

by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2024 1:20 PM

Supplemental Mrs. Ramsey jokes are not required,

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2024 1:24 PM

[quote] Like gold at the bottom of a deep dark well, there was and is evidence of God’s grace in this utter tragedy, we just had to be willing to plumb the depths to see it.

The father’s off to a good start, but that 10-year-old boy is in a world of danger. They should send him to The Burke Ramsey Institute for Special Sibling Grief where he will learn important lesson like “she had it coming” and “everyone gets angry.”

by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2024 1:29 PM

[quote] Supplemental Mrs. Ramsey jokes are not required,

Cry more (crocodile tears) for your dead crotch fruit, R28.

by Anonymousreply 30June 8, 2024 1:41 PM

Die one of their badminton racquets suddenly break, and a sharp piece entered her skull?

It bears repeating.

by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2024 1:42 PM

This alibi-journaling asshole just upped the GoFundMe to $130,000 from the original $125,000 because they've almost reached their goal.

This GFM was supposedly started to assist them with expenses when their daughter was in the hospital. She died a few days later. I'm assuming he has health insurance to cover her stay and the church would help with burial expenses. What's with the money grab, pastor?

by Anonymousreply 32June 10, 2024 3:27 PM

It started at $90,000 (probably even less)

Milk it, pastor. Send her to heaven in style!

by Anonymousreply 33June 10, 2024 3:44 PM

shitty christians

by Anonymousreply 34June 10, 2024 4:02 PM

R33, I didn't realize. When I first read an article about the little girl, it linked to the GFM and at that time their goal was $125,000. Something is really off about this pastor. His constant blogging and live-streaming his daughter's funeral is either his out-of-control ego or he is indeed going for the money grab.

There was also a drawing the family released supposedly by the little girl but you can tell it's an adult's attempt at drawing like a six-year-old. It's creepy what they're doing in their daughter's name and now in her memory. RIP kid.

by Anonymousreply 35June 10, 2024 4:18 PM

"Yeah, I think the parents massaged the official story a bit. One of the siblings probably flung the racquet to the ground in frustration, it snapped, and landed in the poor girl's brain. But they wouldn't get all that money if they told the truth."

I bet they would. If it was one of the parent's who did something, maybe even out of anger towards the kid who died (even if not intending to kill her), then the Gofundme might not work.

by Anonymousreply 36June 10, 2024 4:28 PM

Thank goodness she wasn't impaled by the shuttlecock.

by Anonymousreply 37June 10, 2024 4:41 PM

R36, I think it's suspicious the way he makes it a priority to explain how he and his wife were in the backyard and the kids were on the front lawn when it all went down.

I'm assuming the rental came equipped with the badminton set. I wonder if they're going to sue the owners of the property for supplying a supposedly inferior badminton racket. Or maybe they don't want an investigation because it may show it wasn't the racket but the force used on the racket that caused it to break. That would place fault on the user and that would not look good for pastor goatee and family.

by Anonymousreply 38June 10, 2024 4:41 PM

I think it is extremely unlikely that the pointy shaft, still attached to the head of the racquet, accidentally went through a skull. The 10-year-old is the obvious suspect, and the police agreed to be vague about the “accident.” But I don’t rule out the creepy father.

by Anonymousreply 39June 10, 2024 4:47 PM

Echoing, R39 - a deep flesh wound, sure, but INTO the skull? WTF.

by Anonymousreply 40June 10, 2024 5:22 PM

The racket landed, head down, wedged between two rocks and the little girl simultaneously slipped and fell, head first, into the shaft.

Yeah, that’s the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2024 5:28 PM

r37 God know I know what that feels like!

by Anonymousreply 42June 10, 2024 5:39 PM

*knows I know

by Anonymousreply 43June 10, 2024 5:40 PM

I assumed she was Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 44June 10, 2024 5:40 PM

A kid at my high school was killed in shop class by, IIRC, a wood chip (if not then metal but I am 99% certain it was a chip of wood).

He was sitting at a desk in the classroom with his back to the workshop. In the workshop part, another kid, with his back to the kid at the desk, was using the electric grinder. A chip of wood flew off the thing the kid was grinding and penetrated the brainstem of the boy who was sitting at the desk, killing him instantly.

There have been so many threads on freak accidents. Shit happens!

by Anonymousreply 45June 10, 2024 5:56 PM

[quote] This GFM was supposedly started to assist them with expenses when their daughter was in the hospital. She died a few days later. I'm assuming he has health insurance to cover her stay and the church would help with burial expenses. What's with the money grab, pastor?

He'll probably use the excuse that the money will be used for monthly expenses while the family grieves. He'll probably make some statement about how he needs time off from pastoring. I looked at the church's website and he's not the lead pastor. The church appears to have a small staff. The congregation may be small. He does a have a LinkedIn, but the only work experience he has listed is the Green Pond Bible Chapel. Some pastors of smaller churches sometimes have day jobs or businesses as additional sources of income. One of my high school teachers was a pastor at church in a nearby town. A high school classmate and her now deceased husband are/were pastors of a small church. The husband had an HVAC repair business which was their main source of income.

by Anonymousreply 46June 10, 2024 6:07 PM

I’m not doubting that freak accidents happen but the vagueness and lack of details is bothering me, why was she unattended and how did the police or responding EMT come to the conclusion that it was an accident without further investigation, I don’t even see a mention of an autopsy being performed.

by Anonymousreply 47June 10, 2024 6:34 PM

I think the authorities know what happened—the brother stabbed her. They are helping the family protect him by calling it an accident and leaving the details vague.

by Anonymousreply 48June 10, 2024 7:15 PM

and people still believe in god

by Anonymousreply 49June 10, 2024 7:26 PM

R47 she wasn't unattended, Jesus was watching her

by Anonymousreply 50June 10, 2024 7:32 PM

I’m so sick of GoFundMe’s for dead people.

What about a person who needs a prosthetic, or someone horribly burned who needs ongoing care; a barn that needs a roof for elderly farm animals, a person losing everything to a mudslide.

I see this time and time again: My brother died and I’m grieving— I need $150k to comfort me. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 51June 10, 2024 8:11 PM

The article said they were on vacation in Maine. Are they renting? Or they have a vacation house there? The house or their neighbors may have CCTV.

by Anonymousreply 52June 10, 2024 8:28 PM

[qiote]The article said they were on vacation in Maine

Was Stephen King involved?

by Anonymousreply 53June 10, 2024 8:32 PM

King should write a story based on this premise. Instead of a possessed laundry press like in The Mangler, it would be some force overtaking a badminton racquet.

by Anonymousreply 54June 10, 2024 8:34 PM

R52 One article referred to the house as "rental cottage". The owners are probably the types who add extra things like badminton nets, volleyball nets, basketball hoops, cornhole sets, etc or sporting set ups/equipment to make the home look very recreational/family friendly to get people to book with them.

by Anonymousreply 55June 10, 2024 9:35 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 10, 2024 10:31 PM

This is the companion post to R56.

They supposedly live in NJ, most likely Sussex County which does not have a high property tax rate compared to the rest of the state. Here is a photo of them posing on the front steps of a house. I'm assuming it's their house, if so, they don't look too impoverished to me.

by Anonymousreply 57June 10, 2024 10:33 PM

Does the pastor's wife work?

by Anonymousreply 58June 11, 2024 3:19 PM

R58, no she has a friend start a GoFundMe. These assholes just upped their goal to $150,000.

by Anonymousreply 59June 11, 2024 4:18 PM

This really bothers me because they keep increasing the needed funds and with over $100k raised they have enough to cover the burial and insurance copayment, this seems to be pure greed.

by Anonymousreply 60June 11, 2024 4:39 PM

Clearly just “how much can we get?”

Suckers.

by Anonymousreply 61June 11, 2024 4:46 PM

I lost a shuttlecock up my ass a few weeks ago.

What can I get for that?

by Anonymousreply 62June 11, 2024 4:58 PM

She doesn’t LOOK Chinese, R25

by Anonymousreply 63June 11, 2024 5:02 PM

R60, initially the funds were to be used for the family's meals, travel expenses and a vague "medical costs" while they stayed near their daughter while she was in the hospital. I believe OP's post shows a starting goal at $90,000. The little girl died a few days later so funding their needs was no longer necessary yet they upped their goal.

If they were without insurance I'm sure they would have milked that in their GFM donations plea, so I would assume they have health insurance. That should cover her hospital bills, even with a deductible and other out-of-pocket costs $150,000 seems exorbitant and as others have said, a blatant money grab.

by Anonymousreply 64June 11, 2024 5:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!