Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kathie Lee Gifford Said An Agent Told Her She Was Not Pretty Enough For ‘Charlie’s Angels’ TV Casting

Kathie Lee Gifford still remembers a casting agent’s insult from earlier in her career.

Speaking with People about her new book, I Want to Matter: Your Life Is Too Short and Too Precious to Waste, Gifford recalled being abruptly told she wasn’t pretty enough to star in ABC’s Charlie’s Angels television series.

The former Today TV host writes about the power of forgiveness and kindness in her new book. She gave one example where she received a brutal slam.

When she arrived at the casting office for an interview, she was given a quick heave-ho from an agent.

“She goes, ‘Let me tell you right now, you’re not right for Charlie’s Angels,'” Gifford said.

When she asked why, the agent spat, “Because we’re looking for a pretty girl. You know, like Jaclyn Smith: pretty, gorgeous, gorgeous.”

A stunned Gifford started to leave, but then responded.

“I said, ‘When you’re casting a cartoon,’ and I threw up my leg. ‘When you’re casting a cartoon, let me know.’ I left, thanking God that I could laugh about it.”

Gifford now has some perspective on the incident.

“I started to see, first of all, what a bitch she was. What an unnecessary bitch she was. She didn’t say ‘Sorry, honey, have a nice life. You’re not what we’re looking for.’ She had to be cruel. She had to be the exact opposite of what my dad taught me to be. The fact that I remember her name to this day is because she was so cruel.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91June 8, 2024 8:41 PM

Who's the lady in the picture? 🤔

by Anonymousreply 1June 7, 2024 2:54 AM

Truth hurts Kathie Lee.

by Anonymousreply 2June 7, 2024 2:58 AM

Agreed, r2. Gifford WASN’T pretty enough for that show.

And the casting lady only brought up Gifford’s fugly face because she asked.

by Anonymousreply 3June 7, 2024 3:02 AM

“Kathie Lee Gifford, she made little children work in sweatshops!”

by Anonymousreply 4June 7, 2024 3:03 AM

There has never been a woman so full of herself and so full of shit as Kathie Lee Epstein Johnson Gifford

by Anonymousreply 5June 7, 2024 3:05 AM

Thank God for Name That Tune, amirite?

by Anonymousreply 6June 7, 2024 3:05 AM

Facts.

by Anonymousreply 7June 7, 2024 3:09 AM

Epstein? Is she one of the Epstein Island Epsteins?

No, but I bet Frank was 😉

by Anonymousreply 8June 7, 2024 3:10 AM

She looks like Jill Zarin of RHONY. The lady in the photo at OP, I don't know who that is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 7, 2024 3:11 AM

[quote] "There has never been a woman so full of herself and so full of shit as Kathie Lee Epstein Johnson Gifford"

R5 = Howard Stern

But he isn't wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 7, 2024 3:14 AM

@r9, Seriously, I have no idea who that is in Op's photo...

THIS is Kathie Lee Gifford

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 7, 2024 3:14 AM

[quote] “She goes, ‘Let me tell you right now, you’re not right for Charlie’s Angels,'” Gifford said.

[quote]When she asked why, the agent spat, “Because we’re looking for a pretty girl. You know, like Jaclyn Smith: pretty, gorgeous, gorgeous.”

[...]

[quote]Gifford now has some perspective on the incident.

[quote]“I started to see, first of all, [bold] how honest she was. I am now and was then nowhere near as gorgeous as Jaclyn Smith, or Farrah Fawcett, or Cheryl Ladd, nor even as conventionally pretty as Kate Jackson. I was just pretty enough to be a Hee-Haw Honey, of all things, and I let it completely go to my head. I would have been ridiculous as a Charlie's Angel, and no one honest will tell you otherwise. I owe her for telling me the truth so I could set my sights elsewhere. If only someone would have also told me the truth about my singing!"[/bold]

FIFY, Kathie Lee.

by Anonymousreply 12June 7, 2024 3:16 AM

[quote] "The fact that I remember her name to this day is because she was so cruel.”

Obviously I succeeded in my goal.

by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2024 3:18 AM

I feel you Kath

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2024 3:29 AM

Kathie also wrote in one of her books about sharing a bath with her daughter and her daughter asking her "when will I grow grass?"

Now we know why Frank was cheating...he was a city boy and liked playing in vacant lots and not grassy fields.

by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2024 3:29 AM

@r14, that was very funny 😂

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2024 3:32 AM

Meryl has trotted the King Kong story out for her entire career. i'm sorry, but at that age she just was not as pretty as Jessica Lange was. if that was the type they were going fro, she was not it. It's just liek Mathie lee thinking she was pretty enough to be a Charlie's Angel.

Doesn't everyone know (and didn't they also already know in the 1970s) that casting is a cruel business, and that if you pursue show business as a career, you're going to be told repeatedly you're not pretty enough or sexy enough or whatever enough? I am amazed these women are so sensitive and yet they decided to go into the profession. I have very little sympathy for them. If they wanted to be loved for their minds they should have been lawyers or businesswomen.

by Anonymousreply 17June 7, 2024 3:36 AM

She says the agent told her she wasn’t what they were looking for and that she asked why and only then did the agent tell her the reason. Then she goes on to complain that the agent didn’t simply tell her she wasn’t what they were looking for.

She’s an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2024 3:38 AM

Oh please, r17, Meryl's anecdote is funny because she spoke Italian. She's very self-deprecating.

by Anonymousreply 19June 7, 2024 3:42 AM

[quote]“I started to see, first of all, what a bitch she was. What an unnecessary bitch she was. She didn’t say ‘Sorry, honey, have a nice life. You’re not what we’re looking for.’ She had to be cruel. She had to be the exact opposite of what my dad taught me to be. The fact that I remember her name to this day is because she was so cruel.”

She was just telling her the truth about what the producers were looking for. It's a business filled with potential rejection, and everyone in it knows this. Kathy Lee wasn't right for the part and when she wanted to know why, the agent told her. As the title of Kathy's new book says: Your Life Is Too Short and Too Precious to Waste...

by Anonymousreply 20June 7, 2024 3:47 AM

Dino DeLaurentis was looking for a gorgeous leading lady who was willing to fuck him. Meryl would never.

by Anonymousreply 21June 7, 2024 3:53 AM

Did Jessica, r21?

by Anonymousreply 22June 7, 2024 3:56 AM

I adore Jess but she was no stranger to the casting couch.

by Anonymousreply 23June 7, 2024 3:57 AM

Amazing R12.

by Anonymousreply 24June 7, 2024 4:05 AM

She probably tried to convert the casting people to Christianity during the audition and they realized what a pain in the ass she would be.

by Anonymousreply 25June 7, 2024 4:12 AM

I'm not sure if he was married to Kathie at the time, but Frank Gifford used to fuck Johnny Carson's wife. In fact, they (Frank and Carson's wife) had a special apartment just for their clandestine meet-ups.

Years later, someone questioned Frank about it and he claimed he couldn't remember anything.

by Anonymousreply 26June 7, 2024 4:16 AM

I wish casting agents would go back to casting pretty people.

My God, if ‘Charlie’s Angels’ had been created in 2024, I shudder to think what the "Angels" would look like.

by Anonymousreply 27June 7, 2024 4:19 AM

For that photo to be so front-lit-blasted, she must’ve rented a ride on the spacecraft orbiting and photographing the sun, and stared right into a solar flare. Doesn’t even look like a younger version of her own self there. lol

by Anonymousreply 28June 7, 2024 4:20 AM

[quote] You are a perfect little cunt

"I am honored," as T'Pring said to Spock under similar circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 29June 7, 2024 4:25 AM

You can see it immediately she a pretty girl next door. That's all, dime a dozen…Hun.

by Anonymousreply 30June 7, 2024 4:47 AM

From that unrecognizable photo on her new book cover to the sustained bitterness toward that casting agent decades later, seems Kathy Lee has never gotten over the humiliation of Frank's affair with the flight attendant during the heyday of their marriage, and she's been trying to prove she's good (and pretty) enough ever since.

(Her feelings are understandable, but her neediness shows a lack of meaningful growth.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 7, 2024 4:49 AM

Jaclyn Smith was not much as an actor, but she was truly beautiful. I remember once reading an interview with a director of photography on the show who said he had never worked with an actress who was so photogenic from every angle as she was. He said all the other Angels always needed to be filmed from one specific side, but with Jaclyn it never mattered.

by Anonymousreply 32June 7, 2024 4:51 AM

It would have been a much better show had Angela Lansbury taken Farrah's place instead of that bitch Cheryl Ladd

by Anonymousreply 33June 7, 2024 4:53 AM

I didn't think Jaclyn Smith was that beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 34June 7, 2024 4:58 AM

I doubt this happened. I think the casting agent told her she wasn’t right for Charlie's Angels, and over the years she’s turned the story into, “she told me I wasn’t attractive enough.”

by Anonymousreply 35June 7, 2024 5:19 AM

Kathie Lee looks like a 25 year old thanks to Balance of Nature!

by Anonymousreply 36June 7, 2024 6:14 AM

Sometimes you just have to be patient and wait for that part that's right for you. If you're not pretty enough for Charlie's Angels, you just might be pretty enough for Balance of Nature commercials. Good things come to those that wait.

by Anonymousreply 37June 7, 2024 6:14 AM

She wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 38June 7, 2024 6:18 AM

[quote]R34 I didn't think Jaclyn Smith was that beautiful.

Smith is conventionally beautiful in a very smoothly symmetrical way that appealed to the average American masses.

She really had no personality or light in her eyes that elevated her above mannequin status, but for the lightweight mini series etc. she did she was fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 7, 2024 6:52 AM

That anecdote is a demented ramble. She blames the agent for being “cruel” because she didn’t “leave it at that” by answering a question she was asked? And then Gifford kicks up her leg and flounces?

I wonder how many times Gifford was called whacky, nutty, or just plain exhausting?

by Anonymousreply 40June 7, 2024 12:28 PM

"Carnivals got the fun!"

by Anonymousreply 41June 7, 2024 1:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 7, 2024 1:27 PM

And one was a singing police chaplain from Tulsa, OK

by Anonymousreply 43June 7, 2024 1:47 PM

Bitch would have made them stop the story so she could sing some fuckin' cornball song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 7, 2024 1:54 PM

All that is fine. More importantly, did Cody ever come out?

by Anonymousreply 45June 7, 2024 2:18 PM

Remember that this bitch went to Oral Roberts U. and worked for Anita Bryant.

by Anonymousreply 46June 7, 2024 2:33 PM

r34=Bootsy Gumdrops

by Anonymousreply 47June 7, 2024 2:33 PM

[quote]and I threw up my leg. ‘When you’re casting a cartoon, let me know.’

Bucky Beaver?

by Anonymousreply 48June 7, 2024 3:04 PM

^ Magic snatch bags a halfback

by Anonymousreply 49June 7, 2024 3:50 PM

I just knew about this person because Mike Myers in drag as überfan Linda Richman was invited by Barbra Streisand to join her on stage . Making her way through the audience Linda pointed at someone and yelled: "Eat your heart out Kathie Lee!"

Then i found datalounge and got educated.

by Anonymousreply 50June 7, 2024 5:36 PM

"Eat your heart out Kathie Lee!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 7, 2024 6:05 PM

Well it wasn’t CHARLIE’S GARGOYLES they were casting.

by Anonymousreply 52June 7, 2024 6:09 PM

She didn’t look that much different than Kate Jackson back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 7, 2024 6:50 PM

^ Oh, Kathie Lee, honey, don't you have better things to do than hang out on Gay sites defending your faded semi-beauty?

by Anonymousreply 54June 7, 2024 7:12 PM

It’s not wrong for an agent to help a client understand which types of roles they are right for.

I mean, if she’d been pushing to be submitted for Dreamgirls, they’d be doing a favor in letting her know she wasn’t a good candidate, right?

by Anonymousreply 55June 7, 2024 8:08 PM

That woman at R31 looks so trashy. Frank had basic tastes in women.

by Anonymousreply 56June 7, 2024 8:16 PM

[quote] if ‘Charlie’s Angels’ had been created in 2024, I shudder to think what the "Angels" would look like.

Your nightmare is reality., circa 2019:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 7, 2024 8:31 PM

Sorry but nobody’s thirsty for skim milf.

by Anonymousreply 58June 7, 2024 9:05 PM

She certainly can hold a grudge from what was reported over the years.

I remember when she left 'Regis and Kathie Lee' in 2000, it was because of an incident a few years earlier. According to 'sources' at the show, Andrew Lloyd Webber offered the role of 'Norma Desmond' to KLG when Buckley was leaving in September, 1996, for a limited run through December. KLG met with producer Michael Gellman and the big wigs at ABC to see if they would honor her request to take those three months off from the show, and return in January, 1997. They told her no. She felt she lost the opportunity of a lifetime and vowed once her contract was over (in 2000) she would leave the show and never work for ABC again. (Gifford did fill in as an alternate for actress Carol Burnett in the musical revue 'Putting It Together' on Tuesday nights from December, 1999 - February, 2000).

KLG kept her vow - she has never returned to work for ABC over the past 24 years. As a matter of fact, Barbara Walters asked her to step into the moderator's chair on 'The View' to replace Rosie O'Donnell in September, 2007. KLG reminded Walters she would never work for ABC again. A year later, KLG joined the third hour of 'Today' - the competition for 'The View' and lasted 11 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 59June 7, 2024 9:19 PM

R34 you are in minority on that one

by Anonymousreply 60June 7, 2024 9:32 PM

Sorry but I side with KLG on that one R59. It was only three months, and it was the chance of a lifetime. I don't blame her for being pissed. They could have had co hosts fill in.

Regis and Kelly Ripped one had numerous side projects they worked on when they were doing the show. Gelman and Gifford hated each other, and he was being the petty queen he's long been rumored to be.

by Anonymousreply 61June 7, 2024 9:39 PM

I did not know she was still alive.

by Anonymousreply 62June 7, 2024 9:47 PM

Kathie Lee sure as shit is no Miss Kate Jackson. I will concede however that she was prettier than David Doyle.

by Anonymousreply 63June 7, 2024 9:54 PM

R61 I agree with you. I think they should've given her the time off but Gellman had to prove who's boss. Whether or not she would've been good in 'Sunset Boulevard' I don't know, but I do know the show would've sold out every night with the 'Regis and Kathie Lee' fraus visiting NYC that season. I also think she would've been a much better moderator on 'The View' then Goldberg has been.

by Anonymousreply 64June 7, 2024 9:55 PM

[Quote] I did not know she was still alive.

Oh, what a surprise. R62.

by Anonymousreply 65June 7, 2024 9:57 PM

They probably didn't mind if she quit the show to be on Broadway. If they really thought she was valuable to the show, they would've subbed in a guest host during her stint.

by Anonymousreply 66June 7, 2024 10:01 PM

Producers often are unequal in their treatment of actors.

Sally Struthers asked for a little time off from All in the Family for some big movie opportunity. No. She then asked for a modified schedule for a few weeks, like missing rehearsal days. No.

The next season, the producers gave Rob Reiner time off for an outside project.

by Anonymousreply 67June 7, 2024 10:32 PM

The mind boggles at the idea of Kathie Lee as Norma Desmond.

by Anonymousreply 68June 7, 2024 10:43 PM

KLG would have been a replacement for a replacement. At that point it's more about making more bank than it is about critical acclaim. Look at Chicago's stunt casting of the week. SB had gotten its raves and won its Tonys with Glenn.

KLG was a big name, although a very polarizing one. But it would have generated buzz. Howard Stern alone would have given it publicity.

by Anonymousreply 69June 7, 2024 10:48 PM

Like her or not, Kathie Lee is a pretty woman.

by Anonymousreply 70June 7, 2024 10:52 PM

^ Stevie Wonder has spoken 🙄

by Anonymousreply 71June 7, 2024 10:54 PM

[quote] Like her or not, Kathie Lee is a pretty woman.

She's attractive, like the lady who lives down the street.

by Anonymousreply 72June 7, 2024 11:03 PM

Kathie Lee was eventually in a Broadway show, though. I hear she was a total pro.

by Anonymousreply 73June 7, 2024 11:06 PM

She had a annoying tv commercial actress look

by Anonymousreply 74June 7, 2024 11:08 PM

I thought that all Balance Of Nature did was give you Jamie Lee grade stools

by Anonymousreply 75June 7, 2024 11:14 PM

[quote] Like her or not, Kathie Lee is a pretty woman.

We know you think of yourself that way, Kathie Lee.

by Anonymousreply 76June 7, 2024 11:24 PM

R73 It was a Broadway revue of Sondheim songs. It wasn't one where she acted, it was a show where she sang and danced with three other performers. She was only in on Tuesday nights (the deadest night in the theater) as the 'alternate' to star Carol Burnett, who made it clear she wouldn't do eight shows a week when she was offered the role. She did it for two and a half months (December to mid-February).

by Anonymousreply 77June 8, 2024 12:32 AM

Gurl that sister is one throbbing bag of anxiety! Can't live without a man! SMH, gurl needs to go to that Adam and Eve website instead of shopping QVC.and TCB with sum vibrating love appliances!

by Anonymousreply 78June 8, 2024 12:55 AM

[quote]Kathie Lee was eventually in a Broadway show, though. I hear she was a total pro.

Honey, I WROTE a fucking Broadway show! And don't you queens forget it!

by Anonymousreply 79June 8, 2024 12:58 AM

He was right

by Anonymousreply 80June 8, 2024 1:11 AM

[quote]R67 Sally Struthers asked for a little time off from All in the Family for some big movie opportunity. No.

Right. It was for “The Day of the Locust” and Karen Black ended up doing the part.

[quote]The next season, the producers gave Rob Reiner time off for an outside project.

Of course when it was one of the male stars who asked, accommodations were made. I think Struthers sued to break her contract over this inequity but lost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 8, 2024 8:25 AM

[quote] The mind boggles at the idea of Kathie Lee as Norma Desmond.

Wait, you mean she was going to play Norma? I assumed she was playing Max von Mayerling.

by Anonymousreply 82June 8, 2024 12:06 PM

Fuck producers. I COULD HAVE BEEN THE MERYL STREEP!

by Anonymousreply 83June 8, 2024 2:03 PM

^ I COULD HAVE BEEN IN KING KONG!

by Anonymousreply 84June 8, 2024 2:11 PM

M, dear -- the title role had already been cast.

by Anonymousreply 85June 8, 2024 2:36 PM

^ Yeah and you sucked in that monkey suit

by Anonymousreply 86June 8, 2024 2:39 PM

And?

by Anonymousreply 87June 8, 2024 2:39 PM

^ Well, I guess Dino De Laurentiis got what he was after, a blow job from an ape

by Anonymousreply 88June 8, 2024 2:44 PM

Ach!

Amateurs again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 8, 2024 3:12 PM

I'm 100% certain Kathy has said very direct and nasty things to people herself. She wants to be immune.

And she looks like Sunny Hostin in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 90June 8, 2024 3:29 PM

In the morning in the evening ain’t we got fun?

by Anonymousreply 91June 8, 2024 8:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!