Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Night They Raided Minsky's (1968)

Let's discuss this early film from director William Friedkin. Written by Norman Lear, it follows an Amish girl (Britt Ekland) who aspires to become a dancer and lands herself at a Lower East Side burlesque in 1925. Jason Robards, Elliott Gould, Norman Wisdom, and Denholm Elliott also star. It reeky captures the era in beautiful detail and is funny and entertaining. Definitely one of Ekland's best performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2024 4:06 AM

Helen Wood, the MGM starlet who went on to costar in DEEP THROAT under the name Dolly Sharp, is one of the Minsky’s dancers.

She’s off on the far right (which must have hurt)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 7, 2024 1:37 AM

"reeky"?

by Anonymousreply 2June 7, 2024 1:40 AM

R2 I don't know what happened there --the word was supposed to be "really"

by Anonymousreply 3June 7, 2024 1:44 AM

Take ten terrific girls...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 7, 2024 1:55 AM

CO-written by Norman Lear.

There's a musical version that I saw in LA in 2009. I guess they never deemed it Broadway-worthy, but I thought it was decent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 7, 2024 2:09 AM

why does Britt's character have a 1960s bombshell hairdo?

by Anonymousreply 6June 7, 2024 2:13 AM

[quote]but I thought it was decent.

I remember word being good on it, r5.

by Anonymousreply 7June 7, 2024 2:22 AM

Britt was absolutely luminous in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2024 4:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!