Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Search under way after TV presenter Michael Mosley goes missing in Greece

[quote]TV presenter Michael Mosley, known for popularising the 5:2 diet, has gone missing while on holiday on the Greek island of Symi. A search and rescue operation is under way, including a police dog and a drone searching hard to reach areas.

[quote]Greek Police said Mosley left his wife on the beach and set off on a walk to the centre of the island on Wednesday. His phone was found in the place he was staying with his wife, who reported him missing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182June 22, 2024 2:36 PM

Sounds like a case of someone wanting to start a new life.

by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2024 5:26 PM

I’m sure the life he hopefully still has is more than happy. He is a very successful broadcaster on health issues in the UK, and his 5:2 diet book, written with his wife, has sold millions. It works. A friend of mine has reversed his type 2 diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2024 5:32 PM

He was walking in 104°F heat. My guess is getting overheated, didn’t have any water, he tried going for a dip in the water, blacked out and drowned. I know a few times I’ve gotten overheated, with tunnel vision and close to blacking out.

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2024 5:42 PM

[quote] His phone was found in the place he was staying with his wife, who reported him missing.

Wife killed him. Get on it, DL sleuths!

by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2024 6:05 PM

He left the phone behind because he doesn’t want to be traced. He’s not the first and won’t be the last man to drop everything and start anew.

by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2024 6:09 PM

The music video for Greece's 2022 Eurovision entry was shot on Symi, really stunning place.

However, there are also venomous snakes there and you can easily trip over and fall in the rocky interior. Probably a heat stroke, like r3 said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2024 6:12 PM

What's a tv presenter, precious, what's a tv presenter?

by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2024 6:14 PM

He presents a TV programme, he doesn't "anchor" the evening news. Not hard to understand the difference.

by Anonymousreply 8June 6, 2024 6:17 PM

When my 79 year old mother heard the news her reaction was ‘I never liked him’.

Make of that what you will.

by Anonymousreply 9June 6, 2024 6:21 PM

If there was a body in the bushes, they probably would have found him by now.

Was he suicidal? Did he have another life to escape to?

In this digital age it would be pretty difficult to disappear without a trace.

If he ended up in the water, he'll wash up or float.

by Anonymousreply 10June 6, 2024 6:27 PM

There's a significant amount of violent crime in Greece, with a particularly high surge since the pandemic. Organized crime, human trafficking, armed robbery and muggings, and drug trafficking among others. It's geographical location makes it ideal for cartels and human traffickers. There's a high chance a similar fate to those hot Australian surfers befell him.

by Anonymousreply 11June 6, 2024 6:57 PM

He asks that you respect his privacy while he completes his transition.

by Anonymousreply 12June 6, 2024 7:01 PM

Botox Chucky is having his alibi checked

by Anonymousreply 13June 6, 2024 7:03 PM

Maybe he thought he was on Fire Island Pines, walked into the woods for a blow job and got lost

by Anonymousreply 14June 6, 2024 7:14 PM

He probably died from a heart attack like that Atkins diet guy, I think Atkins was his name.

by Anonymousreply 15June 6, 2024 7:17 PM

Where are the soft butch sous chefs of DL? They need to investigate this caper.

by Anonymousreply 16June 6, 2024 7:22 PM

Two things-

#1- This will end in tears 😭

#2- Can I have his stuff?

by Anonymousreply 17June 6, 2024 7:47 PM

[quote]#2- Can I have his stuff?

Only if you're Greek-active.

by Anonymousreply 18June 6, 2024 7:50 PM

He's fine! He sends his love!

by Anonymousreply 19June 7, 2024 2:02 AM

He found a "gloryhole" in an old toilet road stop.

by Anonymousreply 20June 7, 2024 2:07 AM

I bet the “Greek Table” Create Channel program chef’s ate him.

by Anonymousreply 21June 7, 2024 2:10 AM

Merda! Di nuovo:

I bet the “Greek Table” Create Channel program’s chef at him.

by Anonymousreply 22June 7, 2024 2:11 AM

^Okay, I give up (sorry!). 🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 23June 7, 2024 2:12 AM

Apparently the guy can have transient amnesia when he gets into cold water. I’ve never heard of such a thing and anyway, the water here must be warm.

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2024 2:44 PM

It’s probably going to end up being something stupid and tragic like falling and hurting himself to the point he couldn’t get up or passing out from the heat. The weird part is why he apparently got so far off the normal paths and there’s been no sight of him on the drones or other air searches. If he was conscious at any point you’d think he would have set up his umbrella for better visibility to searchers.

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2024 3:06 PM

He made it as far as a village. He could’ve gotten overheated, lightheaded, and saw a shed and tried to get out of the sun. But it’s a small place, someone would’ve found him by now.

by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2024 3:47 PM

WHY OH WHY did he not take his phone with him.

His behavior sounds strange.

by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2024 4:22 PM

R27 Not everyone is glued to their phone at all times—especially not older people. Maybe he was just on vacation and trying to disconnect.

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2024 4:40 PM

Must have been a fast day. Tomorrow he’ll go looking for souvlaki.

by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2024 5:52 PM

R28- Glued to my phone?

I'm not a TWEEN.

Almost everyone keeps their cell phone in their pocket all day - I'm saying when they're home but certainly if they're on a hike in Greece in 104 degrees fahrenheit.

by Anonymousreply 30June 8, 2024 7:22 PM

[quote] Not everyone is glued to their phone at all times—especially not older people.

I take my phone with me every time I leave the house. I’m not glued to it. It’s usually powered off. I have it for emergencies. I would say older people are especially mindful of having a phone with them for that purpose.

by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2024 7:51 PM

I agree, that he left his phone at home sounds very suspicious. Abduction and/or murder. What did the wife say?

by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2024 8:01 PM

I frequently leave my phone at home when I take short walks around my neighborhood and more than frequently on vacation. I don't see any reason to have it on me unless I need it for uber, directions, or music so it's just extra weight. If I go for runs at night I will have my house keys and mace with me (I live in a city), but I leave my wallet and phone. If I'm on vacation at the beach and I'm with someone else who has their phone on them, I see no reason to bring mine. Just one more thing to worry about getting wet or sandy or stolen. Or maybe his phone was close to dying so he left it on the charger before they headed down to the beach. If his wife had hers, he'd have no reason to worry. If they'd been to the area before and he was familiar with the beach, he wouldn't be concerned about getting lost on his walk.

I'm just saying, not everyone carries their phone with them all the time—you might, but not everyone does and his not having it on him is not automatically suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2024 12:15 AM

There's a blind item on agc that claims he has his mistress travel to this island separately from himself and his wife. I bet he slipped out to meet her and had a medical emergency and was abandoned.

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2024 12:19 AM

AGC?

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2024 12:31 AM

[quote] I frequently leave my phone at home when I take short walks around my neighborhood and more than frequently on vacation. I don't see any reason to have it on me unless I need it for uber, directions, or music so it's just extra weight.

Has this story taught you a lesson on how stupid that is?

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2024 12:41 AM

AGC compiles blinds from a variety of sources. Most come from CDAN. Yes, CDAN is silly, but sometimes they have tips that turn out to be true. At any rate, the theory that he met a mistress is no less plausible than any other.

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2024 12:44 AM

Another thing people should do with their iPhone besides just keeping it with them whenever they go out, is to set it up to always share its location with a family member or friend. The location tracking is not only helpful for finding a lost phone, if it stays with you, it can also locate you or your body if you go missing.

by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2024 12:48 AM

He was devoured by a pack of hot young male cannibals!

by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2024 12:49 AM

An accident, Dolores, can be an unhappy woman's best friend.

by Anonymousreply 40June 9, 2024 1:08 AM

I really don't think it's that odd that he didn't take his phone. My dad is the same age as him and forgets his phone all the time.

by Anonymousreply 41June 9, 2024 1:17 AM

I think him leaving the phone and “feeling ill” suggests he slipped away for an assignation. He may have walked out of his life.

by Anonymousreply 42June 9, 2024 1:42 AM

They have shifted focus to a cave, that has become cut off when the tide came in.

by Anonymousreply 43June 9, 2024 1:44 AM

How high exactly are the tides on Symi? We're not talking about the Atlantic Ocean.

by Anonymousreply 44June 9, 2024 1:46 AM

It doesn't look good for Mosley after being missing for 3 days now.

by Anonymousreply 45June 9, 2024 1:47 AM

r45 I just came here to say the same thing. This isn't a "ran away with a mistress" scenario

by Anonymousreply 46June 9, 2024 2:29 AM

Yeah this isn't going to end well R46. Definitley not a ran away with the mistress scenario. He's too famous to do that anyway and not be caught.

I just watched this close up video of the area he was walking (linked). He must have had an accident - tripped and fallen - maybe bashed his head on a rock and knocked himself out then the sun got him or he bled out. It's such a small area it's very strange that they can't find his body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 9, 2024 3:37 AM

People love to believe the oh he wanted to just live another life. It’s fun to wear rose colored glasses.

The truth is he is likely dead somewhere, and not yet found. Ok, it’s a small village — not a strip mall,

by Anonymousreply 48June 9, 2024 3:59 AM

r47 Great video, thanks. The rocky terrain in the uninhabited areas of that island is so open, they would have surely spotted his body by now with the drones and the dogs and just with the naked eye. As speculated by others already, I think he went for a swim, had a heat stroke, and got washed out into the sea.

by Anonymousreply 49June 9, 2024 4:11 AM

Hope the cocky bitch is dead

by Anonymousreply 50June 9, 2024 4:23 AM

Why R50?

by Anonymousreply 51June 9, 2024 4:25 AM

I assume r50 is a fat whore who has attempted the 5:2 diet in the past, but it didn't take.

by Anonymousreply 52June 9, 2024 4:29 AM

R50 "Cocky bitch"? By all accounts he's a terribly lovely man and well-loved in his industry. I've personally always enjoyed his work and he seemed dedicated to helping people be healthier. He always seemed kind and humble in any segment I've seen him in.

by Anonymousreply 53June 9, 2024 4:34 AM

That's what I've heard too R53. He exhibits a genuine drive to help other people and that's what everyone who has anything to do with him says about him. I've never heard a bad word about him and he isn't afraid to tackle difficult issues.

R50 is likely grossly obese and furious about it because she can't stop shovelling processed garbage foods into her cavernous gaping hole of a mouth.

by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2024 4:37 AM

[quote] The truth is he is likely dead somewhere, and not yet found.

That would be a lesson for other people also trying to start a new life.

by Anonymousreply 55June 9, 2024 5:34 AM

Have they checked the cabins?

by Anonymousreply 56June 9, 2024 6:06 AM

I'm with r27. Not a good idea to go for a walk without a phone in an unfamiliar country ìn extreme weather.

by Anonymousreply 57June 9, 2024 6:25 AM

Professor Peacock in the conservatory with the candlestick.

by Anonymousreply 58June 9, 2024 6:56 AM

They have found a body sadly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 9, 2024 8:15 AM

There's no way this much effort would have been made to locate a missing trans sex worker of colour.

Talk about white cis het male privilege

by Anonymousreply 60June 9, 2024 8:20 AM

That's too bad. :( a very sad outcome, and yes...perhaps having his phone on his person may have prevented his death...so a cautionary tale for others that set out on walks/hikes without their phone.

At any rate, very sad conclusion.

by Anonymousreply 61June 9, 2024 8:22 AM

Oh that's really sad news R59.

"A police source speaking about the discovery of a body - which has yet to be identified - told BBC News the deceased had been dead "for a number of days".

I wonder what happened? He was such a fit man.

by Anonymousreply 62June 9, 2024 8:32 AM

Just saw a tweet by someone filming the police saying "They are holding their noses, suggesting the body has decomposed".

What fucking ghouls film that and share it? No dignity.

by Anonymousreply 63June 9, 2024 8:42 AM

[quote] A police source speaking about the discovery of a body - which has yet to be identified - told BBC News the deceased had been dead "for a number of days".

That he was already dead when he walked away makes this case more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 64June 9, 2024 9:07 AM

He’s in a heap at the bottom of a hill. He tripped and fell on those hideously painful-looking rocks.

by Anonymousreply 65June 9, 2024 9:12 AM

[quote]That he was already dead when he walked away makes this case more interesting.

This makes zero sense to me. Anybody else know what it's supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 66June 9, 2024 9:21 AM

R.I.P.

by Anonymousreply 67June 9, 2024 9:27 AM

This gives me hope for horrible things happening to successful or prideful people, my favorite headline since the rich Berkeley kid who ODd or the billionaire sub. It also reminds me of Hugh Edwards chasing twink cunt across the UK before he lost it all lmao. Great times.

by Anonymousreply 68June 9, 2024 9:27 AM

[quote] Yes, CDAN is silly, but sometimes they have tips that turn out to be true

No “they” absolutely don’t. He is a trump conspiracist and he makes shit up. All the time.

by Anonymousreply 69June 9, 2024 9:29 AM

R68 what makes you think he was prideful? Are you equating success with pride?

by Anonymousreply 70June 9, 2024 9:32 AM

Manhunt underway for Soft Butch Souvlaki Chef

by Anonymousreply 71June 9, 2024 9:35 AM

What your fucking problem R68 you miserable cunt? Are you an antivaxxer? Dr Mosley really hated anti-vaxxers.

by Anonymousreply 72June 9, 2024 9:36 AM

I know CDAN makes stuff up. He also posts rumors circulating elsewhere. Sometimes those rumors turn out to be true, like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 73June 9, 2024 9:41 AM

Greek news reporting he was found out in the open next to a fence. Terrible, but the most surprising thing here is that it took them this long to find him.

by Anonymousreply 74June 9, 2024 9:54 AM

Warning, (blurred) body is visible in this Greek article.

[quote]The body of the unfortunate Briton was found by the ERT camera, while filming from the sea footage from the area of the investigations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 9, 2024 9:56 AM

[quote]According to the mayor of Symi, "the body was found on the land 10 meters from the beach, next to a fence of a plot of land, and that's why it had not been found for so many days".

[quote]"The man crossed all the way, reached his destination and 10 meters from the beach he stumbled, fell... I don't know what to say... 200 people use this beach every day and many boats come and go every day," the mayor of the island, Lefteris Papakalodoukas, told SKAI.

Damn, died ten metres away from the beach that's used constantly. But fell in such a way that no one could see him.

by Anonymousreply 76June 9, 2024 10:03 AM

He's died wedged somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 77June 9, 2024 10:07 AM

Many of those little Greek islands including this one are mostly dry brown rock. When it's hot, it's unbearable and dangerous. I don't know why these islands are popular as tourist destinations. There is no flora or fauna. There are not many cute villages on rural roads because there are very few if any farming operations. A big brown rock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 9, 2024 10:29 AM

Oh this is sad; I liked him. I figured it was probably an accident like this.

by Anonymousreply 79June 9, 2024 10:35 AM

Sad story. The heat is serious and best to be avoided midday. People can easily underestimate it if not familiar. As a side note, this place looks seriously unappealing for a holiday. Barren rocks and scorching sun. I’m not a beach person and would be bored very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 80June 9, 2024 10:37 AM

Such a sad way to go. He was a good man doing good things in this world. RIP Michael.

by Anonymousreply 81June 9, 2024 10:39 AM

Very, very strange he went out without his phone. Unless it was flat and charging at his accommodation?

So sad, and pointless. He was a good guy.

by Anonymousreply 82June 9, 2024 10:43 AM

[quote]I don't know why these islands are popular as tourist destinations.

Because the inhabited portions look picturesque. It's the same shit with Santorini and most other Greek islands. People go there as a status symbol, not for recreational activities. The more obscure and exclusive the island, the better.

I hate the summer, so Greece is a no for me. But I'm also poor, so I don't have much of a choice either way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 9, 2024 10:44 AM

I'm another one who doesn't find it strange at all that he went out without his phone. You're on a holiday on a (relatively) small island. If now's not the time to unplug, then when is? To some, the mere presence of a phone causes stress, and that's especially true for older people.

by Anonymousreply 84June 9, 2024 10:47 AM

At first, I thought you guys were talking about this Michael Mosley.

RIP to the British broadcaster, btw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 9, 2024 10:50 AM

"I frequently leave my phone at home when I take short walks around my neighborhood and more than frequently on vacation. I don't see any reason to have it on me unless I need it for uber, directions, or music so it's just extra weight."

R33 Emergencies have the tendemcy to occur at umforeseen times. From accidents when you wind up in hospital, calling help for others... Please take your phone with you.

by Anonymousreply 86June 9, 2024 11:05 AM

He's dead to us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 9, 2024 12:35 PM

[quote] People love to believe the oh he wanted to just live another life. It’s fun to wear rose colored glasses.

I knew someone who, after the Corrie McKeague inquest was complete, still insisted there was a 50/50 chance Corrie ran off to restart his life under a new identity in somewhere like Ibiza. Corrie had a habit of sleeping in bins while drunk, and was last seen on CCTV drunkenly heading towards a bin loading area. The following day, the bin was recorded as being unusually heavy - heavy enough to contain an adult man. You don't have to be Poirot to realise that the chances that Corrie's living his best life in Ibiza are rather lower than 50%.

by Anonymousreply 88June 9, 2024 12:37 PM

They found the body, just outside the fence to another resort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 9, 2024 1:16 PM

He would probably still be alive if he had taken his phone with him.

I do partial fasting based on a show of his from PBS ca. 2013.

Wednesday and Saturday I do not eat dinner. By the time I eat breakfast the next day it has been at least 20 hour since I've eaten. I've been doing this for over four years.

by Anonymousreply 90June 9, 2024 1:20 PM

I found him-dead.Whats my priz?

by Anonymousreply 91June 9, 2024 1:22 PM

He’s fine! He sends his love!!

—Julian Sands

by Anonymousreply 92June 9, 2024 1:51 PM

R90 what positive effects do you find from your fasting?

by Anonymousreply 93June 9, 2024 2:06 PM

Poor fella doesn't even rate an Is Dead To Me.

by Anonymousreply 94June 9, 2024 2:16 PM

I'm not r90 but when I fast I don't snore, I wake up refreshed and with a flat stomach and I eliminate first thing in the morning without effort.

by Anonymousreply 95June 9, 2024 2:19 PM

r94 We usually don't do a DEAD to me thread when we already have an ongoing death watch thread like this one.

by Anonymousreply 96June 9, 2024 2:25 PM

R95 does it help you lose weight?

by Anonymousreply 97June 9, 2024 2:27 PM

r95 A healthy person should be able to eliminate regularly and easily without fasting. Healthy diet, enough water and exercise and fibre on a daily basis should keep your peristalsis regular. Fasting can damage the muscles, which you'll be relying on more and more as you get older and other health issues appear.

Glycemic control and moving your ass is what is needed for weight loss, not the occasional fast.

by Anonymousreply 98June 9, 2024 2:28 PM

His wife said they can take comfort because he almost made it. Weird thing to say. Had to be frustrating collapsing and hearing people in the distance but they don't know you are there and need help.

by Anonymousreply 99June 9, 2024 2:40 PM

r97, I initially lost five stubborn pounds which is really all I had to lose and have maintained it.

r98, To clarify, it helped me to eliminate immediately upon rising which is an instant energy boost instead of having to waiting until after I've had my coffee. I believe there is merit to the autophagy fasting provides and I move my ass plenty and am actually quite healthy. I hope whatever is going on in your life that causes you to be unpleasant gets better.

by Anonymousreply 100June 9, 2024 2:50 PM

Does eliminating mean taking a dump, for us less fancy folk?

by Anonymousreply 101June 9, 2024 2:52 PM

I've been intermittent fasting on 8:16 since February. I've lost twelve pounds. Part of that is also eating (somewhat) better. I don't believe that you can cram bad food into your ok to eat window. (At least not entirely.)

by Anonymousreply 102June 9, 2024 3:02 PM

peristalsis = intestines doing motion to reverse fudge packing.

by Anonymousreply 103June 9, 2024 3:03 PM

R102 what does 8:16 mean?

by Anonymousreply 104June 9, 2024 3:03 PM

R104, 8 hour eating window, sixteen hours fasting. Daily. I eat between 11 am and 7 pm or noon and 8 pm and then fast through.

by Anonymousreply 105June 9, 2024 3:15 PM

8:16 means an eight-hour window in which you’re allowed to eat and then 16 hours of fasting. I’ve been doing this for a few years and I’ve lost 20 pounds. I eat between noon and 8 pm. Quite easy once you get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 106June 9, 2024 3:15 PM

He fell on a bunch of rocks. Probably knocked unconscious. Phone wouldn’t have helped.

by Anonymousreply 107June 9, 2024 3:15 PM

R106, do you reduce your food intake or eat as much as you would within the window as you would prior to 8:16?

by Anonymousreply 108June 9, 2024 3:18 PM

To R66, is he a Zombie now?

by Anonymousreply 109June 9, 2024 3:26 PM

Is his death irony-irony, or Alanis irony?

by Anonymousreply 110June 9, 2024 3:28 PM

The idea of expiring slowly behind that stone wall, trapped and exposed in the heat on what looks like the surface of Mars, is really freaking me out

by Anonymousreply 111June 9, 2024 3:31 PM

Was he walking over the rocks too fast or to fast?

by Anonymousreply 112June 9, 2024 3:44 PM

The right-wing loon at r60 saw a man's death as a chance to take potshots at trans people

Republicans are insane

by Anonymousreply 113June 9, 2024 4:11 PM

Paranoia's not exactly a gold star there, R113.

by Anonymousreply 114June 9, 2024 4:13 PM

He made it all the way over that hill to the next resort, only to find himself behind an endless stone wall enclosing the private beach

by Anonymousreply 115June 9, 2024 4:28 PM

R80: " As a side note, this place looks seriously unappealing for a holiday. Barren rocks and scorching sun. I’m not a beach person and would be bored very quickly. "

It reminds me of the unfortunate Gerrish family who all died from heat stroke at Yosemite. The trail they chose, for some ungodly reason, was the Savage Lundy Trail. A previous fire had scorched the area, therefore there was no shade and a 2,000 ft climb uphill in 113 degree heat. It looked dystopian. I will never understand what the appeal was.

by Anonymousreply 116June 9, 2024 4:53 PM

R116 Poor Oski :(

by Anonymousreply 117June 9, 2024 4:55 PM

[quote]Poor fella doesn't even rate an Is Dead To Me.

At least he was lucky in that one way.

by Anonymousreply 118June 9, 2024 5:36 PM

R11 violent crime in Greece is still fairly rare.

by Anonymousreply 119June 9, 2024 7:02 PM

R105, I'd say I eat the same lunch and dinner as I would have before starting the 8:16, but no breakfast and no snacking after 8 pm. I thought giving up breakfast would be the hard part, but that was easy. No snacking after 8 pm takes more discipline, for me at least.

by Anonymousreply 120June 9, 2024 7:24 PM

R112 that's twisted but made me chuckle. Well dune!

by Anonymousreply 121June 9, 2024 7:43 PM

R120 do you have any liquids or fruit before the window opens in the morning?

by Anonymousreply 122June 9, 2024 7:44 PM

^Coffee but no juice or food.

by Anonymousreply 123June 9, 2024 8:51 PM

Phones also have maps on them.

He took a wrong turn.

by Anonymousreply 124June 9, 2024 10:09 PM

has anyone mentioned how ironic it would be if he ended up running out of energy (and thus expiring from exhaustion then heat) because of his fasting routine?

by Anonymousreply 125June 9, 2024 10:13 PM

He was kinda low key cute

by Anonymousreply 126June 10, 2024 1:31 AM

I wonder how often this sort of thing happens with non-celebs and only gets reported in the local news. In other words, was this a freak accident or is it a common occurrence.

by Anonymousreply 127June 10, 2024 3:59 AM

R103- Fudge packing sounds like what the Keebler Elves did in the 1970's to make their cookies so tasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128June 10, 2024 4:02 AM

Mad dogs and Englishmen...

by Anonymousreply 129June 10, 2024 4:24 AM

[quote]Dr Clare Bailey said she and the couple’s four children took comfort in the fact that he “had almost made it”, after his body was found close to a coastal resort on Sunday.

[quote]“We’re taking comfort in the fact that he so very nearly made it. He did an incredible climb, took the wrong route and collapsed where he couldn’t be easily seen by the extensive search team.”

If I were she, the fact that he "nearly made it" would make it seem all the sadder that he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 130June 10, 2024 4:57 AM

I'm not telling the poor woman how to grieve and cope with this tragic situation, but that doesn't seem like much comfort to me at all. Whether he'd almost made it or if he was found further away from the beach, the end result is that he's dead. Horrible accidents like this happen all the time, no use overlaying them with some noble narrative.

by Anonymousreply 131June 10, 2024 5:05 AM

r131, you realize your third sentence completely contradicts the first clause of your first sentence.

by Anonymousreply 132June 10, 2024 5:12 AM

An interview with the man who found the body:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 10, 2024 8:48 AM

Died of natural causes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134June 10, 2024 1:35 PM

On a wholesome note, it sounds as though the locals went out of their way to help with the search.

by Anonymousreply 135June 10, 2024 1:45 PM

If the police believe it was natural causes, we’ll never know who the killer was.

by Anonymousreply 136June 10, 2024 2:02 PM

67? Probably a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 137June 10, 2024 2:06 PM

R136- Are they saying his death had nothing to do with the 104 degree temperatures or the fact that he was dehydrated.

It sounds very unclear to me.

by Anonymousreply 138June 10, 2024 2:18 PM

Why would a man of means be outside when it’s 104 and not inside with air conditioning?

by Anonymousreply 139June 10, 2024 3:27 PM

British people - it rains so much in UK that they pay a fortune to vacation on a scorching rock. They just want to remind themselves what the sun looks like.

by Anonymousreply 140June 10, 2024 5:15 PM

R139- Something is still amiss- I still have to ask the question 🙋‍♂️ again

Why didn’t he take his phone with him?

by Anonymousreply 141June 10, 2024 6:02 PM

R141- Because people are stupid? They go hiking in scorching heat with an inadequate supply of water, improper clothing, no GPS locator in areas without cell phone service, hiking during a snowstorm, and many are 60 and older. I'm sorry, but people are stupid and reckless.

by Anonymousreply 142June 10, 2024 6:16 PM

He was 67 years old - my age. I try to remember to take my phone with me all the time but sometimes I forget because I grew up without carrying a phone around. Sometimes I concentrate on carrying other things - water, sunglasses, key card, sunscreen - and forget the phone.

It’s hard for some people to understand …my doctor’s office is annoyed with me because I go outdoors to garden and leave my phone indoors - or even leave my phone upstairs for hours while I’m downstairs - and I don’t get their message until late at night, so I don’t answer til next day. I just don’t make sure my phone is with me at all times.

Plus phones don’t fit in pockets anymore. Flip phones and candy bar phones did. I sometimes wear my old winter jacket which has a phone pocket in the sleeve.. Blast from the past, lol.

by Anonymousreply 143June 10, 2024 6:17 PM

"lol"?

by Anonymousreply 144June 10, 2024 6:28 PM

You never heard of the ironic lol for early 21st century nostalgia?

by Anonymousreply 145June 10, 2024 6:47 PM

First post-mortem says no marks from injuries etc...so dehydration or sun stroke I guess.

by Anonymousreply 146June 10, 2024 7:49 PM

He made it all the way over the hill only to find himself trapped behind a stone wall, just a few feet away from oblivious beachgoers and survival.

What a horrifying way to go

by Anonymousreply 147June 11, 2024 5:02 AM

I always enjoyed his weekly suggestions for improving wellbeing. He tried them all himself, and had an engaging style of presenting whether they helped or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148June 11, 2024 6:27 AM

If a vacation ends up killing you, you've made some bad choices. We've seem many examples of this on DL.

by Anonymousreply 149June 11, 2024 8:41 AM

He died, so:

by Anonymousreply 150June 11, 2024 9:34 AM

His epitaph:

"Do as I say, not as I do."

by Anonymousreply 151June 11, 2024 9:41 AM

111 degrees. If he hadn't died last week, he'd've died this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152June 11, 2024 10:43 AM

This is such a shame, for him, his loved ones. All the people who benefited from his work.

by Anonymousreply 153June 11, 2024 11:45 AM

He was spared by the Greek gods from having to see the decline and fall of diets, thanks to injectables.

by Anonymousreply 154June 11, 2024 12:09 PM

R143- My IPhone 7 fits in my pocket very easily.

by Anonymousreply 155June 11, 2024 12:39 PM

[quote] He made it all the way over the hill only to find himself trapped behind a stone wall, just a few feet away from oblivious beachgoers and survival.

He could have yelled for help, but he wasn’t one to burden other people with his problems. I respect that.

by Anonymousreply 156June 11, 2024 1:20 PM

Tribute programme on planned for Friday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157June 11, 2024 1:20 PM

Am I the only one who thought he was good looking?

by Anonymousreply 158June 11, 2024 1:38 PM

We thought he was great too.

by Anonymousreply 159June 11, 2024 1:39 PM

R158- He was kinda cute.

by Anonymousreply 160June 11, 2024 1:49 PM

R158 You're not alone! Especially for a Brit, he looked freaking fantastic for 67.

by Anonymousreply 161June 11, 2024 2:08 PM

R161- His excellent diet might be responsible for that - at least partly.

by Anonymousreply 162June 11, 2024 2:13 PM

He looks like a precocious child in this pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163June 11, 2024 2:55 PM

r120, I drink bone broth to quell the hunger past 6pm (my window is 6am- 6pm)

by Anonymousreply 164June 11, 2024 3:21 PM

It was a bar on a beach, R156. Even if he'd been capable of shouting, it's doubtful anyone would have heard him. The answer to R141's question might be that he and his wife had spent the morning on another beach. Young people probably take their phones to the beach, because apparently they die if they can't take a selfie every 20 seconds when in scenery, but most older people would think that if you were both going in swimming, the phone was safer back at the house.

I found this story particularly upsetting because nobody pursues the kind of career Mosley did without having a strong drive to prolong his own life/avoid his own death. That all that good medicine he applied so enthusiastically to himself was wasted through one set of stupid decisions seems to me to make it more awful.

The authorities seem to be saying now he had a heart attack, but would he have done so--or died of it--if he hadn't been out walking in the middle of the day, without his phone, in an unknown and treeless country, in 100 degree heat, at age 67? Possibly, but for a guy who spent his life minimising medical harms, it's almost Sophoclean. The Fates will get you however much you dodge.

by Anonymousreply 165June 11, 2024 4:07 PM

I was taught since I was a kid not to walk around in the middle of the day in scorching heat when we were on vacation at the seaside, I have no idea what he was thinking. That time should be spent having a siesta, that's kinda why you're on vacation.

[quote]The Fates will get you however much you dodge.

Especially when you're fucking around in their homeland!

by Anonymousreply 166June 11, 2024 4:18 PM

R166- I have posted about this before , but I actually experienced a heat stroke when I was 16. Young, fit, no alcohol or drugs. ( That day. 😜) We went to the beach and my friends left for a bit to get some lunch. I suddenly felt weak, confused. I was surrounded by people on the beach but I was too weak and confused to ask for help. I could not call out or raise my arms. My friends returned and called EMT's. They then packed me in ice for about 10 minutes. Still, the EMT' s recorded my temperature at 105 degrees. This is why the heat is so deadly. By the time you realize that you are in trouble, you are too weak and incapacitated to help yourself. All of this happened in a time frame of around 45 minutes. That is how quickly one can die. The EMT told us that if my friends had been 15 minutes later than they were, it would have probably been fatal.

by Anonymousreply 167June 11, 2024 8:51 PM

Brits are notorious for not appreciating heat danger when they visit hot countries.

by Anonymousreply 168June 12, 2024 5:15 AM

Plus mad dogs.

by Anonymousreply 169June 12, 2024 6:03 AM

R167

That is terrifying. Did you have any subsequent health issues that day or beyond?

The closest I’ve gotten is when I’ve stupidly used my push mower in blazing Texas afternoon heat and my vision went dark a couple of times. I thought it was my BP which is always low, but wonder if it was heat exhaustion coming on.

by Anonymousreply 170June 12, 2024 6:13 AM

R170- No health problems. I was a very healthy 16 year old. One thing that I realized afterwards was that I had stopped sweating. The beginning signs of a heat stroke are very subtle, almost unnoticeable. You stop sweating and may experience minor nausea. Then all of sudden you are so weak that you can't even lift your arm, much less walk. It was terrifying and to this this day I am sensitive to heat. It would be a horrific way to die .

by Anonymousreply 171June 12, 2024 11:38 AM

I'm assuming closed casket.

by Anonymousreply 172June 12, 2024 2:04 PM

Heatwave I posted about at r152 claiming more lives. Link in the next comment.

[quote]Dutch tourist found dead on Greek isle as two Americans and two French tourists missing across three islands

[quote]A missing Dutch tourist was found dead early Saturday on the eastern Greek island of Samos, the latest in a string of cases in which tourists on Greek islands have died or gone missing. Some, if not all, had set out on hikes in blistering hot temperatures. Two Americans and two French tourists have also recently been reported missing.

[quote]Temperatures across Greece on Saturday were more than 10 degrees Celsius (18F) lower than on Thursday, when they peaked at almost 45C (113F). They are expected to rise again from Sunday, although not to heatwave levels.

by Anonymousreply 173June 18, 2024 5:15 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174June 18, 2024 5:16 AM

I don't sweat like most people do. I learned that in my early 20s, and adjusted...made sure I had appropriate hydration. My face often turned very red when I hiked and I had to make sure I had enough fluids to be sure I was okay.

Most people don't have that benefit because they think it's a given.

It's not.

by Anonymousreply 175June 18, 2024 5:38 AM

Science behind what's happening here, mostly dealing with the (extreme) heat's effects on the brain. Also, who is vulnerable and how to protect yourself.

[quote]“There is a common pattern,” Petros Vassilakis, the police spokesman for the Southern Aegean, told Reuters, “they all went for a hike amid high temperatures.”

[quote]Some scientists say what’s happening in Greece offers a warning sign about the impacts of extreme heat on the body, and in particular the brain, potentially causing confusion, affecting people’s decision-making abilities and even their perception of risk. As climate change fuels longer and more severe heat waves, scientists are trying to unravel how our brains will cope.

Great photo of Symi accompanying the article. Shame it's such a deathtrap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176June 21, 2024 4:17 PM

All of the missing/dead people are over 60 except one who is 59.

I’m old. I just went outside to water my plants. Ran the water through the hose for 8 minutes before it cooled down enough to water the plants. Proceeded to water my arms, my shins and my feet with cold water. We gotta cool down out there. We’re old as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 177June 21, 2024 6:13 PM

I sweat a lot less now that I am old and unfuckable, but I’m able to tolerate higher temperatures.

by Anonymousreply 178June 21, 2024 7:44 PM

R178- You have more tolerance for the heat and less tolerance for the cold.

How old are you?

by Anonymousreply 179June 21, 2024 8:21 PM

It's the same with me and I'm 36. As I've gotten older, hot summers suddenly don't bother me as much as they did in the past, but my shoulders are constantly cold and I get these horrible nightmares where I wake up almost screaming when my shoulders and upper arms get really cold at night. I run and work out every day, so it can't be about metabolism. It's nice not sweating like a pig anymore, I had such confidence issues because of that as a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 180June 22, 2024 4:05 AM

Same with me, I’m in Greece for the summer and it’s still a heatwave here, but I’m not suffering with the heat like I used to.

I used to sweat like fuck, the evenings were the worst, as soon as i started to walk somewhere I started to sweat. But these days it just feels like a hot summer, not a heatwave.

by Anonymousreply 181June 22, 2024 2:32 PM

[Quote] What's a tv presenter, precious, what's a tv presenter?

Hr gives away tvs for Christmas, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 182June 22, 2024 2:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!