Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Matt Bomer and White Collar

You know, I decided to finally binge White Collar. I never watched it during its initial run, but figured why not.

I have to say that I find Matt Bomer's performance in White Collar better than anything else I've ever seen him do - charming, sexy, engaging.

He's so bland in everything else he's done since. This is one of the best examples of someone who fit a part so well from the very beginning in the pilot. The casting was perfect.

I get that an actor wouldn't want to be typecast, but he really needs to find more parts that actually suit him.

by Anonymousreply 47June 20, 2024 4:55 PM

Agreed, it is a good role for him. The shirtless scenes are not too shabby, either

by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2024 6:30 PM

There was talk about bringing White Collar back. He said he'd love to it.

by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2024 7:39 PM

I loved that show! Watched from the beginning when it first came on. I loved him and Willie Garson together.

Because of that show, I bought a $50 bottle of Brunello. It was wonderful! I also tried Sancerre because of Fifty Shades but that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2024 7:45 PM

[quote]There was talk about bringing White Collar back. He said he'd love to it.

I wouldn't mind a couple seasons of 8-10 episodes on a streaming channel, so that there were fewer filler episodes like they had on the longer 18 episode seasons on USA.

by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2024 7:47 PM

I watched it all over again a couple weeks ago. It's on Netflix. I still love it. Can they do another one without Willie Garson? He was so good in this.

by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2024 8:19 PM

[quote]Can they do another one without Willie Garson?

Bomer has said the usual "we'd need to be respectful of Willie Garson's memory" when speaking about doing more, so there's probably been some discussion on what they'd do.

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2024 8:50 PM

He’s a good actor for the type of program White Collar was which is now called ambient television. Pleasant shows with her beautiful people and very beautiful clothes, filmed on location with lots of outdoor shots of the sky. Burn Notice and Suits were some of the others.

They have gone out of style. Emily in Paris is probably the only big one. Homer has been trying to get White Collar back for years, every other year Simon Halls calls in a favor at Deadline and one of these gets written up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2024 9:24 PM

And from a few years earlier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 6, 2024 9:25 PM

I thought the show was bland, like all USA shows.

by Anonymousreply 9June 6, 2024 9:26 PM

[quote] Homer has been trying to get White Collar back for years

D’oh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 6, 2024 9:37 PM

USA purposely made very bland, pleasant looking shows, often very brightly lit, because they aired them during the summer when networks went on hiatus. They ended up phasing this out for darker shows like Mr. Robot.

At the launch of Peacock, they begin to revive some USA titles. However USA, which is owned by Comcast, had bought White Collar from Fox which had been bought by Disney. The show didn’t fit well with Disney or Hulu and Disney wasn’t going to sell to the street (height of the streaming wars). Had the show been made by Universal it would have probably been revived,

by Anonymousreply 11June 7, 2024 12:43 AM

LOL OP was a shill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 7, 2024 1:41 AM

BTW White Collar veered quite old in its original airing. Bill Clinton was a fan. I would be very surprised if this goes streaming.

The only way this gets picked up - which is iffy, because TV is contracting right now - is if it gets picked up by a broadcast network. Which it would be a good fit for. However, it would have to be rebooted in some form with Bomer taking a backseat to a younger actor. Bomer is 46. ABC (Disney owned ofc) had a similar debonair conman show called The Company You Keep last season which was canceled in one season. Milo Ventimiglia is the same age as Bomer, it was built as a star vehicle for him but the audience never showed up. Scott Foley was also in his late 40s when he did Whiskey Cavalier on ABC, which was also cancelled after one season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2024 1:58 AM

Thank you R 13. This is good news for me.

by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2024 7:51 PM

[quote]USA purposely made very bland, pleasant looking shows, often very brightly lit, because they aired them during the summer when networks went on hiatus.

I liked Burn Notice. I was extremely disappointed to find out that Jeffrey Donovan is apparently a jackass and difficult to work with.

All the TNT and USA originals were pleasant diversions - stuff like The Closer/Major Crimes, Suits, Burn Notice, Psych, Monk, Royal Pains.

by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2024 9:06 PM

[quote]However, it would have to be rebooted in some form with Bomer taking a backseat to a younger actor. Bomer is 46.

Queen Latifah is 54 and the (rebooted) Equalizer is on Season 4. It was also renewed for season 5 on CBS.

[quote]ABC (Disney owned ofc) had a similar debonair conman show called The Company You Keep last season which was canceled in one season. Milo Ventimiglia is the same age as Bomer, it was built as a star vehicle for him but the audience never showed up. Scott Foley was also in his late 40s when he did Whiskey Cavalier on ABC, which was also cancelled after one season.

And neither had Netflix support or an established history as an already existing series that has been streamed on several platforms in reruns for the past 10 years.

Peacock already did a Monk movie last year. Psych has had several successful movies with 3 more planned on Peacock. The Suits reboot, thanks to Netflix, opened the door for this come back. Bomer's career is hot at the moment and he has been consistent in being present on TV. "White Collar" was the most likely of the "bluesky" shows to return.

They make Bomer's character bisexual, he'll show his ass a few times if it's not on a major network, and people will watch it if it comes out on the right network at the right time. I'm sad Willie Garson and Diahann Carroll won't be there.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2024 6:04 PM

[quote] They make Bomer's character bisexual

And risk having the majority of its CBS-type viewers scream “woke!” ad nauseam? I doubt the producers would be that ballsy to do that, though I love the idea.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2024 6:16 PM

[quote]And risk having the majority of its CBS-type viewers scream “woke!” ad nauseam?

It would be a hoot! I think that segment of the population that kept that show streaming for years would be fine with it, if it was non-committal and vaguely alluded to. The actor did come out while the show was on it still kept going for a couple of seasons longer. I wouldn't be shocked if it was on Hulu, like people are guessing.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2024 6:25 PM

With all the talk of a reboot, I revisited the show on Netflix . I forgot just how beautiful Bomer was on this show, he was probably at the height of his physical beauty during that run. He’s still gorgeous and sexy AF as demonstrated by his recent turn on Fellow Travelers. He’s done some excellent work over the years, especially his devastating performance as Felix in the Normal Heart, he deserved the Emmy award that year. I think he and WC wouldn’t lose any followers due to a bisexual storyline, fans loved the bromance of Peter and Neal. That being said, I hope they don’t deviate too far from the original characters. I’d love to see him do a rom com next, maybe showcasing his singing and dancing skills.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2024 7:35 PM

Ater Matt Bomer came out, I decided to check out 'White Collar', my first foray into USA's 'blue skies' shows. I found the show charming, with Bomer being the most charming-est. The 'blue skies' programming created a pretty little world where we could escape and watch beautiful people in gorgeous locations enact dumb TV plots. Sometimes, I just want to enjoy my wine, with a Valium chaser, and this show delivered. Even though I rarely watch cable anymore, I'd be happy to see a 'White Collar' remake on television.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2024 10:42 PM

This sounds good. I hope they can pull it off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2024 11:06 PM

During the opening credits, there are a few shots of Bomer where he squints a bit to give himself a slightly hooded eye.

He and Sean O'Pry have the same eyes when he does this.

by Anonymousreply 22June 10, 2024 3:50 AM

I wish Fellow Travelers was more than one season. It was quite good, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 23June 10, 2024 4:13 AM

He was great in Fellow Travellers.

by Anonymousreply 24June 10, 2024 4:55 AM

Matt, suggest to Showtime that you would like to be considered in another gay series. You received nominations which might have legs.

by Anonymousreply 25June 10, 2024 5:42 AM

You know, the more I think about it with the discussions regarding a White Collar reboot, the more I find the way they wrote Stanford out of And Just Like That to be really crappy.

Apparently, they couldn't have him die and make Anthony a widower at the same time because Carrie is obviously the only person who'd ever have a spouse die and be in mourning. Rather than writing a tighter story with Anthony still struggling to move on and her going to him for help and guidance, it would be too much for any other character to have a decent story line.

by Anonymousreply 26June 10, 2024 3:35 PM

He was good as Ben Reade. Predictably, the writers ruined a legacy character.

by Anonymousreply 27June 10, 2024 4:21 PM

he was at his hottest in Chuck.

by Anonymousreply 28June 10, 2024 4:43 PM

during chuck. He looks so good in long hair. When I finally got around to watching Chuck it had been off the air for awhile. I didn't even recognize him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 10, 2024 7:52 PM

[quote]Peacock already did a Monk movie last year.

Because the show was produced by NBC Universal.

[quote]Psych has had several successful movies with 3 more planned on Peacock.

Because the show was produced by NBC Universal.

[quote]The Suits reboot, thanks to Netflix, opened the door for this come back.

Suits LA is going to... wait for it... NBC!

Almost all USA Network shows were produced in house at Universal. White Collar was a rare exception. It would have been rebooted for Peacock had it been produced by Universal. Peacock rebooted goddamn Punky Brewster because NBC owned the rights (fun fact, the dog 'Brandon' was named for legendary NBC President Brandon Tartikoff.)

[quote]Queen Latifah is 54 and the (rebooted) Equalizer is on Season 4. It was also renewed for season 5 on CBS.

But she did not star in the original Equalizer. This is the second reboot of the Equalizer after the Denzel Washington film series, and that series introduced the character as an older Black equalizer.

Ironically that series is also co-produced by Universal, who will sell to other networks. The catch in all this is Disney. Disney vertically integrates almost everything. Look at their pilot orders.

Could White Collar be rebooted? Yes, I'd say it's probably even a good candidate for a reboot. But it would have to star a new person in the thief role because the central tension in White Collar revolved around Neal essentially being a large child with Tim Dekay and Tiffany Thiessen playing his surrogate parents trying to set him straight. They were the angel on his shoulder and Mozzie was the devil on his shoulder. That won't work on a 46 year old man.

The only way it could possibly be rebooted with Bomer would be to have Neal moved into the Mozzie role as the person trying to pull the new protagonist back into a life of crime, and have a new actors cast as the FBI agent & wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 10, 2024 8:32 PM

If an actor is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS and blandly likable by all he can get lucky like Bomer. I listened to a podcast he just did and it's comical that someone so deep thinking never acknowledges he'd likely be nowhere without his unusual good looks.

He talks about graduating college and working immediately, yet he talks about the "tough times" when he was full of doubt! Give me a fucking break!

by Anonymousreply 31June 11, 2024 1:27 AM

A gal's gotta eat.

by Anonymousreply 32June 11, 2024 1:30 AM

No that I believe.

He might flub an audition. And go home and think about it.

Then think about it some more.

And some more. Replaying everything that happened, again and again, like a looping movie at a national park visitor’s center. Like an animated GIF you save on your phone except he experiences everything exactly like he felt it the first time. Looking for some meaning, some pattern, some intrinsic truth.

The clinical term is “rumination.” It derives from the Latin verb rūmināre, meaning “to chew the cud.” Think of a cow just chewing and chewing staring blankly into space.

That is of what he speaks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 11, 2024 2:09 AM

I hope Bomer doesn't destroy his gorgeous face with cosmetic procedures.

by Anonymousreply 34June 11, 2024 3:57 AM

[quoe]I thought the show was bland, like all USA shows.

Thanks for your opinion, R9.

by Anonymousreply 35June 11, 2024 4:46 AM

I have never seen a moment of WHITE COLLAR, but I thought Bomer was excellent as Donald in THE BOYS IN THE BAND, which I think is a more difficult role than many people realize. I also remember him as being very good in THE NORMAL HEART.

by Anonymousreply 36June 11, 2024 4:48 AM

I'd hate to see White Collar rebooted. It was a charming show, New York was at its loveliest, the cast were great and the characters were of the kind that felt like your friends after a few episodes. (Its portrait of a genuinely happy, healthy marriage may have been the first on series TV since The Addams Family, too.) The ending was difficult to achieve but perfect.

Why would you want to go back and have everyone looking old, New York looking post-pestilential and no Mozzie? The reason it's on film is that we can keep enjoying the original.

BTW, I think So Help Me Todd is this genre of show, except less outdoorsy because, well, Portland. Sharp, attractive actors, quirky supports, lovely wardrobe for Margaret and Susan and nothing too awful ever happens. It's not quite as charming, but it's the same genre. So is Only Murders in the Building, albeit each season is a narrative rather than episodic.

by Anonymousreply 37June 11, 2024 4:55 AM

Unfortunately, So Help Me Todd was cancelled by CBS and will not get a third season, nor will be saved by streaming on Paramount+.

by Anonymousreply 38June 11, 2024 3:50 PM

I know. That's sad. I'm glad White Collar got to work right through to its natural ending.

by Anonymousreply 39June 11, 2024 4:08 PM

I wonder what June did with Neal's apartment after he "died."

It's sad that Diahann Carroll has also died since the show ended.

by Anonymousreply 40June 11, 2024 10:12 PM

I’m watching and enjoying White Collar thanks to this thread. But did Peter Burke get a new wife between episodes 2 and 3? And what happened to the hot lesbian assistant?

by Anonymousreply 41June 12, 2024 11:46 PM

The wife has always been Tiffani Thiessan.

The accepted story is that the hot lesbian in the pilot had other commitments after filming the pilot, so the character was replaced by Lauren Cruz. Diana went to work in Washington DC, but came back second season.

I sort of liked Cruz better than Diana. I feel like they could have done more with that character than they ended up doing with Diana.

by Anonymousreply 42June 13, 2024 9:24 PM

If you look close enough you can still see the bruises from the oranges.

by Anonymousreply 43June 14, 2024 3:07 PM

Really hoping White Collar comes back with as many of the original cast members as possible.

by Anonymousreply 44June 14, 2024 3:10 PM

Ditto

by Anonymousreply 45June 20, 2024 3:37 PM

I'd rather have Chuck come back. With a hot new Chuck and Matt as the director.

by Anonymousreply 46June 20, 2024 3:52 PM

[quote]I'd rather have Chuck come back. With a hot new Chuck and Matt as the director.

I'd watch a reboot of Chuck. The charm of the original wouldn't be there now that the actors are all pushing their mid-40s and 50s in some cases.

by Anonymousreply 47June 20, 2024 4:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!