Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joni Mitchell is no longer a black man

The cover for her 1977 album, “Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter” (the album nobody listens to anyway) has been changed from Joni dressed in dark makeup as a black man, her alter ego “Art Nouveau” to a generic photo of a dog. The back cover of the album featured a photo of Joni as a child dressed as an indigenous person so people were probably scrambling for their smelling salts.

No insult was ever intended and Joni said she did it for her band at the time, many of whom were black.

But now the people are happy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 9, 2024 6:06 PM

I’m black where it counts.

by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2024 4:42 PM

I do like “Dreamland” and “The Silky Veils of Ardor,” but the album is mostly a mess.

by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2024 4:42 PM

Please, remove the vapors from my nostrils. Mama is finally able to rise from her chaise lounge.

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2024 4:51 PM

I actually like the title track quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2024 4:51 PM

There was/is a short film entitled “Love” which features Mitchell at a party in character as Nouveau and nobody recognizes her.

by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2024 4:52 PM

as long as Brandi Carlisle doesn't trot her out looking like Frederick Douglass, we're probably all ok

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2024 11:14 PM

But men "serving cunt" as absurd caricatures of women is cooler than ever!

by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2024 11:28 PM

Clown world.

by Anonymousreply 8June 6, 2024 11:38 PM

That was likely a record company decision - the company that's rereleasing all her records plus demos/extra tracks.

I knew she meant it as an homage, but I sorta get that people might not appreciate it. So, whatever. The new image is.....not my favorite. But the album itself is great (if a little overlong).

by Anonymousreply 9June 6, 2024 11:47 PM

R6 I wouldn't put it past that fame grabbing bitch

by Anonymousreply 10June 7, 2024 12:08 AM

It was never my favorite Joni album cover as I liked her own artwork from the psychedelic first album to “Mingus.” But it’s hard to imagine any other artwork in its place.

by Anonymousreply 11June 7, 2024 12:13 AM

In my dweems we fwy

by Anonymousreply 12June 7, 2024 12:22 AM

It’s one of my fave albums of hers. Hejira and Hissing Lawns are my other top Joni albums

by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2024 12:36 AM

I’m sure she’s scratched all the black off her skin by now.

by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2024 12:52 AM

how strange that album cover art from 1977 has to be altered to placate music buyers in 2024

wouldn't Tipper Gore be satisfied with a parental advisory label?

by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2024 12:54 AM

I didn’t even realize that was her on the cover until a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2024 2:54 PM

I hate her overrated ass almost as much as I hate woke cunts.

by Anonymousreply 17June 7, 2024 3:18 PM

I feel like Joni had enough black dicks inside her to maybe make this OK.

by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2024 3:53 PM

I had this album since it's release in 1977. I knew it was Joni dressed up and in make-up, but I never considered this to be an issue. People are looking for reasons to be outraged.

by Anonymousreply 19June 7, 2024 3:58 PM

It was starting to gain traction after nobody saying anything about it for 47 years. I saw threads on Reddit and was thinking it would. Into this.

by Anonymousreply 20June 7, 2024 11:04 PM

Rick Moranis used to do a character called Eskimo Art.

by Anonymousreply 21June 7, 2024 11:26 PM

But the kid staring at the naked lady on her dress stays?

by Anonymousreply 22June 8, 2024 12:13 AM

No one mentioned it for years until she did that one interview (Vanity Fair? I can't remember) a year or so before her aneurysm and the gen Z'ers got all pissy about it

by Anonymousreply 23June 8, 2024 1:23 AM

She's no longer a man at all; the Morgellons turned her into a blanket.

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2024 1:27 AM

No, R22. The entire cover has been changed.

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2024 2:31 AM

Thanks R25!

by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2024 9:54 AM

Both the original and the new one are here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2024 1:17 PM

The new one looks like it’s an unused, unretouched photo from the “Dog Eat Dog” album. You can see Joni’s perm. Kind of a boring image.

They should have gone with an image of an eagle and a serpent or even had her use one of her own paintings for it.

Or they could have just left well enough alone.

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2024 1:48 PM

Indigenous Joni says “How” on the original back cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2024 1:51 PM

I don't know why they couldn't just sort of zoom in and remove the blackface image.

R28 the painting would make sense too.

by Anonymousreply 30June 8, 2024 1:53 PM

“Paprika Plains” sounds like Joni was on shrooms.

by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2024 2:20 PM

[quote] There was/is a short film entitled “Love” which features Mitchell at a party in character as Nouveau and nobody recognizes her.

How strange. My first thought upon meeting a Black man named Art is “Is that Joni Mitchell” in blackface and drag?”

by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2024 2:28 PM

Intent used to matter in these situations. It no longer does.

by Anonymousreply 33June 8, 2024 2:31 PM

Some background.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 8, 2024 2:44 PM

1976 was a different time, indeed. Around Halliween, you could still find grotesque cannibal masks with red lips and a bone through the nose at your local toy shop or Thrifty drug store. I’m still surprised that a liberal folk singer pulled that stunt, though.

by Anonymousreply 35June 8, 2024 8:19 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 8, 2024 8:24 PM

[quote]I’m still surprised that a liberal folk singer pulled that stunt, though.

There's a difference between homage and ridicule, r35.

by Anonymousreply 37June 8, 2024 8:26 PM

Dressing as a pimp is an homage to Black people?

by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2024 8:29 PM

It was a cultural trend back then that was actually looked up to by younger people. I recall at least two black high school classmates thinking black pimps and how they dressed was cool. I doubt anybody would have frowned back then if a white person dress up like a pimp and wore black face at a costume party back then.

by Anonymousreply 39June 8, 2024 9:03 PM

Maybe she’ll do an homage to white Jews by dressing like Jeffrey Epstein this Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 40June 8, 2024 9:14 PM

Is she dressed like a pimp? People dressed very differently in the 70s. The vest with the suit was common.

by Anonymousreply 41June 8, 2024 9:40 PM

I shall respect her pronouns and new racial identity and support her throughout her recent transition into a white woman.

by Anonymousreply 42June 8, 2024 9:54 PM

Joni’s inspiration:

[quote]I was walking down Hollywood Boulevard (when) a black guy walked by me with a diddy-bop kind of step, and said in the most wonderful way, 'Lookin' good, sister, lookin' gooood'," she told Q Magazine in 1988. His spirit was infectious and I thought, I'll go as him. I bought the make-up, the wig… sleazy hat and a sleazy suit and that night I went to a Halloween party and nobody knew it was me.

Pimp daddy was her muse!

by Anonymousreply 43June 8, 2024 10:01 PM

[quote]His spirit was infectious and I thought, I'll go as him.

an homage

by Anonymousreply 44June 8, 2024 10:10 PM

[quote]I bought the make-up, the wig… sleazy hat and a sleazy suit and that night I went to a Halloween party and nobody knew it was me

How flattering.

by Anonymousreply 45June 8, 2024 10:18 PM

I remember people talking about getting perms in the 70s because they wanted to look like the brothers.

It was a different time, more ignorance than hate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 8, 2024 10:24 PM

You think that was Barbra’s inspiration for her 1976 perm, R46?

by Anonymousreply 47June 8, 2024 10:30 PM

I wonder how many black people Joni met growing up on the prairie in Saskatoon?

by Anonymousreply 48June 8, 2024 10:31 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 8, 2024 10:33 PM

Boz Skaggs had a big hit around this same time with "Jojo." A white man singing an homage to a black pimp would surely be unfashionable these days.

by Anonymousreply 50June 8, 2024 10:34 PM

R50 Actually, anyone singing “Jojo” or a similar aspirational about pimping is unfashionable these days.

His baby stays high

Got to keep her sweet

And he keeps her just right

Keeps her on the street

- Boz Skaggs

by Anonymousreply 51June 8, 2024 10:49 PM

I loved Donna Summer’s hair as a kid and my mother would put my stick straight hair into multiple little braids, and then I’d put my head under the faucet, sleep on it and for a few brief hours the next day I’d have hair that looked like a black woman who had used a relaxer. It was a different time.

by Anonymousreply 52June 8, 2024 11:23 PM

I remember wet braiding, r52/ElderLez. I guess it did less damage than crimping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 8, 2024 11:42 PM

Bo Derek would be SO cancelled today for those cornrows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2024 12:01 AM

Crimpers were a tool of the patriarchy, not to mention part of the capitalist pig destruction of the environment through excessive electricity use R53/Doris so not allowed in our house in the 1970s. It was such a different time.

OTOH cultural appropriation wasn’t a thing that people were concerned about.

by Anonymousreply 55June 9, 2024 12:54 AM

r54 my mom used to braid my hair like that when I was still in elementary school. She thought I wanted to look like Bo Derek but it was actually Zac Hanson. Thinking back, there was a black girl in my class that didn't like me. Maybe it was the braids?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 9, 2024 3:05 AM

I wish there was footage of the Halloween party, so that we could hear Joni speaking “jive.” I wonder if she spoke it as well as Barbara Billingsley.

by Anonymousreply 57June 9, 2024 5:22 AM

Probably not, R57. Being Canadian, she probably said “Aboot” and “eh?”

by Anonymousreply 58June 9, 2024 11:02 AM

This is what Chat GPT thinks a jive-talking Canadian sounds like:

"Yo, buddy, that scene last night was a real beaut, eh? We were just givin' 'er, and it was all chill, man. No hoser nonsense, just pure gold, ya know? And then Jake, that cool cat, he shows up with some Timmy's, and we were like, 'You’re aces, man!' So we just kicked back, had a few, and it was all copacetic, eh?"

(I’m obviously not Canadian)

by Anonymousreply 59June 9, 2024 6:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!