Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why hasn’t Deidre Hall ever won a Daytime Emmy?

The woman has her own Barbie doll. 3 nominations, no wins. She hasn’t been nominated since 1985. What’s the problem? The ribbon?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 8, 2024 2:39 AM

I think your photo explains it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2024 6:51 AM

OP, have you ever seen her act?

by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2024 7:42 AM

Deidre has been no worse than any other actress in daytime. To not even be nominated is telling. She pissed someone off.

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2024 7:50 AM

Diedra Hall's message on why she hasn't won an Emmy...

by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2024 11:31 AM

Could it be her personal life?

by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2024 11:49 AM

Politics. They didn’t do the block voting like the Bell soaps. Days did not seem to get a whole lot of nominations Or maybe it was the ribbon.

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2024 1:39 PM

Being insufferable might have something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2024 1:44 PM

R6, Days have been raking up the Emmys for some time now. They nominate just about everyone on the show EXCEPT Deidre. It’s weird.

by Anonymousreply 8June 6, 2024 1:47 PM

Daytime is filled with a lot of jealous twats and Dee has never played the game.

by Anonymousreply 9June 6, 2024 1:56 PM

Suck it, bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 6, 2024 4:05 PM

At least Lucci was constantly nominated. Dee hasn’t been nominated in 39 years.

by Anonymousreply 11June 6, 2024 4:09 PM

I always thought Deirdre was pretty good on Our House. But j never saw any of her daytime work.

by Anonymousreply 12June 6, 2024 5:11 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 6, 2024 5:29 PM

She was up against Kim Zimmer (for the Slut of Springfield scene), Robin Strasser, Gillian Spencer and Erika Slezak for one of her nominations. She was never going to beat any of them.

There are a lot of excellent actresses in daytime that never won, like Beverlee McKinsey. Kathy Hays wasn’t even nominated for some of her work, too.

by Anonymousreply 14June 6, 2024 5:38 PM

She really is one of our finest actresses and it's a shame (but so typical of sexist Hollywood) that she has never been given her due. It's common knowledge in the biz that there are few greater honors than being invited to the scene studies that she and Jaclyn Smith regularly hold at one another's houses or hotel conference rooms, wherein they workshop the works of Moliere, Strindberg and Ntozake Shange, after which they give one another extensive acting notes.

by Anonymousreply 15June 6, 2024 5:50 PM

Why wasn’t she nominated to Electra Woman?

by Anonymousreply 16June 6, 2024 6:15 PM

Dee as Hattie is a hoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 6, 2024 6:26 PM

Wilford Brimley had her black-balled. Don’t piss off the diabeetus brigade

by Anonymousreply 18June 6, 2024 6:55 PM

Kathy Glass never won either.

by Anonymousreply 19June 6, 2024 7:21 PM

PUT ON THE FUCKING RIBBON, Hall.

Then we'll talk.

by Anonymousreply 20June 6, 2024 7:22 PM

It's a national embarrassment that Ms. Hall is without an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 21June 6, 2024 7:27 PM

^ Sometimes you have to go along to get along. Dee Dee would have her Emmy if she had learned that one simple trick 🤨

by Anonymousreply 22June 6, 2024 7:28 PM

She was so powerful as Electra Woman. There's a strong (if brooding) reunion script circulating that includes the line: (dangling an enamel red ribbon pin) "I'd hang you from my nipples but it would shock the children.."

by Anonymousreply 23June 6, 2024 10:34 PM

I think she stopped putting her name in for consideration

by Anonymousreply 24June 6, 2024 11:36 PM

Is that what she told you, R24? YEAH, SO DID I! (Lucille Bluth eyeroll)

by Anonymousreply 25June 7, 2024 12:16 AM

Deidre has that honorary Emmy in the bag soon. They’re giving one to Mel Thomas Scott tomorrow night. If they can give it to her, well…

by Anonymousreply 26June 7, 2024 12:25 AM

100% her shitty attitude and behavior about the ribbon

by Anonymousreply 27June 7, 2024 12:32 AM

But, in all honesty, was she wrong about the ribbon? Wasn't wearing the ribbon just the 80s version of virtue signaling?

by Anonymousreply 28June 7, 2024 1:59 AM

R10 What on earth did Lucci do that year to get her nomination? Whatever storyline she is in she's just not a very good actress.

by Anonymousreply 29June 7, 2024 2:32 AM

I blame the devil.

by Anonymousreply 30June 7, 2024 2:33 AM

Deidre did good work in the 80s on Our House, and after that she was a prime-time vixen for a season on Wiseguy where she was great as Tim Curry's trophy wife Claudia Newquay.

She elevated both parts playing a nice, normal mom on Our House, and a very mean, bitchy character on Wiseguy who becomes more of a sympathetic victim later on.

by Anonymousreply 31June 7, 2024 4:06 AM

Days was never respected for good reason- it was the stereotypical soap known for bad writing and worse acting. Daytime had a lot of great actresses, but she wasn’t one of them. Lucci shouldn’t have one and never should have had all those noms which curiously dried up as soon as she was given an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 32June 7, 2024 4:18 AM

Unfortunately, the "Dead Dog Records" arc of Wiseguy that features Deidre Hall has never been released to the public because of copyright issues relating to the show's music.

by Anonymousreply 33June 7, 2024 4:19 AM

Tim Curry and Hall had a dynamic chemistry on Wiseguy. I like the introductory scene at the party where he greets his estranged wife "Why Claudia, the liposuction certainly has paid off"!

by Anonymousreply 34June 7, 2024 4:42 AM

[quote] Days was never respected for good reason- it was the stereotypical soap known for bad writing and worse acting.

And now it wins year after year.

by Anonymousreply 35June 7, 2024 6:19 AM

Not winning is one thing but Dee hasn’t been nominated in 39 years. That’s beyond strange.

by Anonymousreply 36June 7, 2024 6:19 AM

I'll never forget all the characters who were killed off in the early 90s, and then came back. It really was something stupid to behold.

by Anonymousreply 37June 7, 2024 8:59 AM

Deidre refused to wear a ribbon as she said it detracted from people doing anything tangible for AIDS except what is now called virtue signalling. She felt all people did was pin on a ribbon then forget about the cause after the cameras stopped rolling. She actually did work for the charities and didn't she help care for a friend dying from AIDS?

How can people not remember she refused to be a sheep and said that people need to do more to help? She has my respect for that as it was largely true.

by Anonymousreply 38June 7, 2024 9:15 AM

^ Except she could have just taken the ribbon and rolled with it while still doing good charity work. By refusing the ribbon she came off as homophobic and the label stuck

by Anonymousreply 39June 7, 2024 9:23 AM

And has been pointed out she did great work in her early years (Samantha's death, the stalker storyline, her baby's death from SIDS, Roman's murder) and probably should have won there.

Soap had become OTT by the 90s but she was very affecting in her big return storyline and Belle's paternity storyline). She had the balls to do the possession storyline and didn't care if it was sneered at.

She was great (and hilarious) in the overblown serial killer storyline, especially playing evil with great camp. Her playing up Hattie Adams was also hilarious.

She might not have an Emmy but she's been consistently professional and entertaining throughout.

by Anonymousreply 40June 7, 2024 9:23 AM

She blew the wrong man.

by Anonymousreply 41June 7, 2024 9:28 AM

I guess R39, but by writing the piece allowed her to call out the hypocrisy. Her quote is in this article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 7, 2024 9:28 AM

[italics]First, it misguidedly politicizes human tragedy. These red ribbons provide a means by which public figures can appear to make a 'politically correct' statement in favor of a cause they do not support. A prime example was Barbara Bush wearing a red ribbon while seated among the audience at the Republican National Convention but removing it before joining the president on the podium.

by Anonymousreply 43June 7, 2024 9:29 AM

^ I'm not arguing the motive, there's an old saying about choosing your hill to die on, she chose the wrong hill and we're still talking about it 30 years later

by Anonymousreply 44June 7, 2024 9:39 AM

Agreed. Hall was right, but she overestimated herself here and didn't stick the landing.

by Anonymousreply 45June 7, 2024 9:45 AM

Lucci 100% deserved it the year she won. Her competition was weak, but she also finally submitted the right reel— scenes from Erica’s daughter’s eating disorder intervention. She was excellent in those scenes.

Maybe Deidre will win a Primetime Emmy for her Guest Starring Role in HACKS!

by Anonymousreply 46June 7, 2024 9:45 AM

She sent herself up while playing Hattie: "I think I deserve one of those daytime Emmys for the way I handled John Black!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 7, 2024 9:52 AM

Not even in her 40s yet, Dee still has a long way to go to be honored and prefers to support the senior, veteran actors on Days for such accolades.

by Anonymousreply 48June 7, 2024 9:56 AM

And yet she’s on Hacks. Dee wins.

by Anonymousreply 49June 7, 2024 9:58 AM

Not a Friends fan, but didn't the characters make jokes about how one of Marlena's love interests always looked like he was smelling a fart?

by Anonymousreply 50June 7, 2024 12:28 PM

As a younger actress, I am letting the older gals get their Emmy nominations now. I'll win plenty when I am a little older.

by Anonymousreply 51June 7, 2024 12:53 PM

[quote]Days was never respected for good reason- it was the stereotypical soap known for bad writing and worse acting.

Oh please, I love this idea of respected soaps versus soaps that are not respected. It's all soap opera. Deidre Hall playing the devil is no more ridiculous than Erika Slezak running around playing 6 different personalities or going back in time to the Old West or traveling to heaven. Or Susan Lucci screaming at a bear. It all melodrama and the performances are what they are.

It doesn't matter how many Daytime Emmys someone has, because at the end of the day they are still just Daytime Emmys, no more or less meaningful, than the old Soap Opera Digest Soap Opera Awards.

by Anonymousreply 52June 7, 2024 1:03 PM

Ribbon-avoiding bitch

by Anonymousreply 53June 7, 2024 3:12 PM

^ She stated her boundaries 😠

by Anonymousreply 54June 7, 2024 3:27 PM

Dee did the NOH8 campaign, and ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 7, 2024 6:22 PM

... always showed up for the Spirit Day promotions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 7, 2024 6:23 PM

Kudos to OP who made sure to refer to the award as a DAYTIME Emmy.

Primetime star Dee is probably holding out for an actual Emmy.

Plus, Dee's already received her Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which is far more noteworthy and significant than a Daytime Emmy statue, which is about as useful as a fancy door stop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 7, 2024 8:01 PM

Dee is still a beauty and all the cast seem to love her. I do think the Emmys don't like her though as there's been plenty of times she could have been conceivably nominated but ignored.

The last time I know she submitted was when she played mad Hattie

by Anonymousreply 58June 7, 2024 8:08 PM

A couple of years ago when the Daytime Emmy folks made some changes to their Rulebook on how the awards work, they actually used Dee as the example to explain things.

From the 2022-23 Rulebook section on ACTING CATEGORIES:

[quote] One Entry Per Performer / Per Character. Performers are only eligible to enter for a single character once. If the character appears on multiple shows, they are eligible for multiple shows and their reel may contain clips from the multiple shows, but the performer may not enter multiple categories for that same role. As an example, Deidre Hall as Dr. Marlena Evans on “Days of Our Lives” and “Beyond Salem” may submit once for her performance as Marlena, but her reel may contain clips from both programs and any resulting nomination or win would credit both programs. Alternatively, she may choose to submit instead for just “Days of our Lives” or just “Beyond Salem.”

by Anonymousreply 59June 7, 2024 8:22 PM

R59 the dirty fuckers were TAUNTING her!

by Anonymousreply 60June 7, 2024 8:33 PM

If they wanted her to wear that ribbon, they should have paid her.

by Anonymousreply 61June 7, 2024 9:17 PM

Dee's always been a trailblazer. They don't even wear the ribbon at amfAR now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 7, 2024 9:44 PM

[quote] Dee hasn’t been nominated in 39 years.

Just a dry patch. She simply needs a good, juicy story.

by Anonymousreply 63June 7, 2024 10:04 PM

The fact that they're giving Melody Thomas Scott a lifetime achievement Daytime Emmy is all you need to know about how not important these things are.

by Anonymousreply 64June 7, 2024 10:09 PM

[quote] She simply needs a good, juicy story.

She simply needs a good, juicy cock. ... Fans have been calling for Queen Dee to be paired with King Rob for quite some time now in order to allow their electric chemistry to burn up the screen. .. And surely it's high time that she's paired with a peer rather than that old smell-a-fart actor Hogestyn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 7, 2024 10:41 PM

"Dee's always been a trailblazer"

Kind of like an old Chevy, huh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 7, 2024 11:36 PM

Dependable? American made? Like a rock? That's our Dee.

by Anonymousreply 67June 7, 2024 11:58 PM

R66=Susan Lucci

by Anonymousreply 68June 8, 2024 12:35 AM

Cockatoo? MACAWK!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 8, 2024 2:01 AM

r68 = Sophia Petrillo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 8, 2024 2:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!