Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The last 20 years of The Simpsons...

I haven't watched the show in decades so I gave a recent episode a try.

It was season 35 (!?!) episode 9 titled "Murder, She Boat".

I enjoyed it & it made me think of the great ones of my youth.

It seems like their are still fans of the show on the DL so what good/great episodes would you recommend from the past 20 years of the hit series?

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2024 3:13 AM

The last couple of seasons had better writing than I had seen in eons; they seem more cohesive with flashes of old (the cannibal parrot still makes me chuckle a few months later - that hasn't happened in a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2024 6:21 AM

Cannibal parrot?

What episode was that one in?

by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2024 6:42 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2024 10:33 PM

Quilloughby (Morrissey satire) - now an all time favorite of mine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2024 10:41 PM

I remember watching The Simpsons.

In those days, I wore an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.

by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2024 10:42 PM

With the exception of the somewhat-shaky first half season, any episode from the 90s is more likely than not to be excellent. Favorites I can think of are Marge Versus the Monorail, Homer Bad Man, and I Love Lisa

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2024 10:43 PM

I’m amazed this is still airing as part of its original run.

Its heyday in the 90s was so important to my and my friend’s ideas of cutting edge humor and how it could exist in popular culture. We quoted it endlessly and often thought it was brilliant.

We never missed an episode, which we would then analyze and scrutinize.

Time marched on…

The show got copied a lot. Its writers would change or the animation would be slightly different, then go back. Then it would be kinda lame then get kinda good again. I started paying attention to it less and less.

If you told me in the 90s that in the future now I’d be in my 50s and wouldn’t have seen an episode in almost two decades, and it was STILL being broadcast. I wouldn’t have been able to see how any of that would be possible.

It’s just out there airing every Sunday when in season? Still? It’s like a ghost ship version of a show.

by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2024 10:45 PM

That's the first 10 seasons, not the last 20+.

by Anonymousreply 8June 6, 2024 10:47 PM

It is strange how I never hear anyone talk about it anymore and never see it mentioned on social media.

by Anonymousreply 9June 6, 2024 10:47 PM

It's still used for memes

by Anonymousreply 10June 6, 2024 11:00 PM

Yes, this is true. But it seems like they always reference the classic older episodes.

I guess I was thinking more like the way people used to mention the episodes as they were occurring during their seasonal run. Like they did in the 90s and early 00s. The same way people still mention current SNL skits even now on social media, like “Did you see SNL’s parody of…” even though that show is largely considered a dinosaur and lame.

Just my perspective.

by Anonymousreply 11June 6, 2024 11:42 PM

This past season was hit or miss for me, but I still watch. My only real issue is that you can hear the age in the voice actors voices.

by Anonymousreply 12June 6, 2024 11:47 PM

R12 Oh god, you can? Wow that is weird. Depressing.

by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2024 1:08 AM

How much has $cientology made from Lisa all these decades?

by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2024 1:15 AM

R14 Don't you mean Bart?

by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2024 1:51 AM

Stupid R14 garbage face.

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2024 3:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!