Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

El Salvador’s President Nayib Bukele

He’s turned El Salvador from the “Murder Capital of the World” into the safest in the Western Hemisphere. Should we implement some of his strategies?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 9, 2024 5:52 PM

Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un of North Korea. Everyone who breaks the law gets thrown into a gulag. Should we implement some of his policies?

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2024 11:40 PM

Fucker Carlson flailing to be relevant.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2024 11:43 PM

[quote]Should we implement some of his strategies?

If he's talking to Tucker Carlson, the answer is a solid no.

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2024 11:47 PM

R1, I don't think the people of North Korea can vote. El Salvador overwhelmingly voted their president (and his policies) back in.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2024 11:48 PM

These woke kweens won’t be happy until they’re getting split open by a gang of Dominicans, of course it’ll be their head not their bussy.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2024 11:53 PM

Interview drops in 1 hour!

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2024 11:53 PM

FYI - Bukele's father was a Palestinian Christian 1st generation Salvadoran who converted to Islam from Christianity in the 1980s, became an imam, and founded four mosques in El Salvador.

I would blow Buckle, but I don't want to watch this interview Fucker C.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2024 11:56 PM

Bukele

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2024 11:56 PM

R1, it's odd. I'm usually quite anti-authoritarian; not a fan of strong-arm law enforcement. But in a country like El Salvador that had one of the world's highest murder rates and normal people scared to leave their homes at night?

Something had to get done. The trash had to get taken out.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2024 11:57 PM

He's done a good job turning around a shithole. Not sure if El Salvador is the "safest in the Western Hemisphere" however.

by Anonymousreply 10June 6, 2024 12:00 AM

R9 once we get to that level here, the woke POC cock fetishists will still be screaming racism as the violent brown gangs roll down the streets.

He was able to do it in El Salvador because it’s homogeneous.

by Anonymousreply 11June 6, 2024 12:01 AM

When you upend the rule of law in service of stoping crime, you do yourself few favors. Bukele has a safer country, but at the expense of tens and tens of thousands of incarcerated people, many without charges or trial. What’s he going to do, keep these people in jail forever? Kill them all?

Safety at home is great but good luck getting a dime of international investment in a country that plays fast and loose with the law like that.

by Anonymousreply 12June 6, 2024 12:04 AM

I’m not watching a Tucker Carlson interview.

by Anonymousreply 13June 6, 2024 12:05 AM

R12, I think the people of El Salvador decided that they prefer that reality-- flawed as it is -- to being captive and terrorized by MS-13. They can walk safely to the corner market once more.

by Anonymousreply 14June 6, 2024 12:10 AM

Check out Ron Filipowski's Twitter feed. Don Jr, Kimberly, Matt Gaetz, and Sen. Mike Lee from Utah were at the inauguration and later festivities. Arranging for Sept. & Oct. caravans before the election?

by Anonymousreply 15June 6, 2024 12:12 AM

This guy is very intelligent. Definitely lots of things that the woke echo chamber would not want to hear. Two men doing an interview is something I feel like I haven’t seen in awhile, amazing that they let each other speak, unlike some Kelly Clarkson or Gayle King shit that we normally have in the US, you know where they yell over each other like giddy school girls.

by Anonymousreply 16June 6, 2024 2:56 AM

Exactly, R12. How many times has it worked out well for a leader or strongman who promises, "I alone can fix it" and "allow me a few extra powers here and there to do it?" They may appear to be successful and popular early on, but eventually overstep, abuse, or piss off enough of the citizenry that it will lead to a whole new set of issues in the country.

by Anonymousreply 17June 6, 2024 4:00 AM

R17 he said he will only stay for one more term. He seems like he has good intentions.

by Anonymousreply 18June 6, 2024 4:02 AM

[quote]Should we implement some of his strategies?

Yes, we should definitely suspend habeas corpus for anyone seen sporting tattoos and change the term limits so the incumbent president can run for office again because he feels like it. That always works out wonderfully.

Also, the mere fact that Tucker Carlson is interviewing him tells you everything you need to know about this sleazebag.

by Anonymousreply 19June 6, 2024 4:13 AM

R19 you should actually watch the interview before commenting. People who are so one-sided are typically unstable like Qanon types.

by Anonymousreply 20June 6, 2024 4:19 AM

The bill hasn't come due, r9. Let's see how happy people are when political opponents start disappearing and no one can speak freely because there are informants everywhere. It NEVER ends well when you have a government that feels free to mistreat people with little to no due process.

Authoritarianism isn't some new concept that deserves the benefit of the doubt. The people of El Salvador have fucked themselves over. Hitler was also elected. OP is a massive idiot.

by Anonymousreply 21June 6, 2024 4:30 AM

Welcome to the chat, Boris @R16.

by Anonymousreply 22June 6, 2024 4:41 AM

El Salvador was completely out of control. One days gangs just decided to murder everyone in the street for absolutely no reason. Just to show they could do it. When things get that crazy countries are allowed to declare martial law and not respect all, civil liberties. For the people of his country, his actions have been life saving.

by Anonymousreply 23June 6, 2024 4:49 AM

I'm trying to think of one time in modern history where suspending some version of habeas corpus for some part of a given population - even if very much needed for a small amount of time - worked out in the long run.

I think Lincoln is the one who managed to do it. And that's because it was returned to rule of law rather quickly.

That said, he did what he had to do. As long as it's SUPER temporary and there are more hard wired attempts to fix the overall problems/flaws in the system? This might be example number two.

by Anonymousreply 24June 6, 2024 4:54 AM

R21, what R23 said. Do you know what atrocities MS-13 inflicted on a daily basis?

by Anonymousreply 25June 6, 2024 5:37 AM

'To fight Cucuy, one must become Cucuy,' eh, R25?

by Anonymousreply 26June 6, 2024 6:17 AM

WTF is this bizarre bitcoin freak shit doing on DL?

by Anonymousreply 27June 6, 2024 6:25 AM

R26, I don't think it's the same analogy. The MS-13 are still alive and well, albeit imprisoned and toothless and fang-less. I won't get into details but they are a particularly vile street gang.

They get to live. A lot of their innocent victims did not.

by Anonymousreply 28June 6, 2024 6:47 AM

[quote]R28: I don't think it's the same analogy.

One might well come away from a Tucker Carlson interview with that impression, sure. But that's probably not the reality, or will not be the accepted reality for long.

[quote]The MS-13 are still alive and well, albeit imprisoned and toothless and fang-less. I won't get into details but they are a particularly vile street gang.

Yes, I've heard of them. The Republicans and far right were shaking that maraca continuously during the Obama Administration, or until they decided ANTIFA was a better, louder instrument.

[quote]They get to live. A lot of their innocent victims did not.

Far right strongmen are always sold like that in the beginning - Franco, Il Duce, the Peróns, the Marcoses, the Duvaliers, Duterte, Kadyrov, Putin, even Hitler. The actual cost isn't usually accurately assessed until the aftermath.

by Anonymousreply 29June 6, 2024 7:05 AM

I'm aware, r25. I don't think his policy of indefinitely imprisoning anyone who might be in a gang is ethical. I stand by everything I said. His gang policy is a harbinger of much worse things to come. First they came for.....

r23, the main marketing strategy of fascism is to claim that all social problems can be solved if the country hands over total control to a strong man. As I said in my original post, this is not a new idea and we have seen the consequences over and over again. I think it's very easy to take the position of "some civil rights must be discarded if the country wishes to solve X problem" if you're not the one forfeiting any rights. I think you, r25, r9 and OP would be singing a different tune if a friend or family member was locked up for having a suspicious tattoo or being friends with someone who does.

by Anonymousreply 30June 6, 2024 7:50 AM

Regarding Bukele's adoption of bitcoin as legal tender:

Bukele is pressing ahead with his plan to make the country a cryptocurrency haven, hurting the country's chance of a quick cash injection from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) even as credit agencies warn state coffers are running dangerously low. On his social media feed, Bukele gloats about spikes in Bitcoin's value and touts infrastructure plans in videos set to club music. But that belies a stark reality: El Salvador's economy is mostly stagnant and posts the slowest economic growth in Central America. Extreme poverty has doubled since 2019 and almost half the population lives with food insecurity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 6, 2024 10:46 AM

OP. Where are you posting from? Is it some crime-ridden hellhole? If its America or most western countries, why would you want to sacrifice civil liberties when you are enjoying crime levels your grandparents would have envied?

by Anonymousreply 32June 6, 2024 10:53 AM

R18. Hitler promised promised he’d stop at the Sudetenland.

by Anonymousreply 33June 6, 2024 10:55 AM

Why did Fucker Cancerson get curbed By Fox again?

by Anonymousreply 34June 6, 2024 11:12 AM

As long as this is a temporary solution and free elections are held, I think it worked for El Salvador. Suspending civil liberties is an extreme measure in a crisis not a permanent solution.

by Anonymousreply 35June 6, 2024 11:22 AM

[quote]R35: As long as this is a temporary solution and free elections are held, I think it worked for El Salvador. Suspending civil liberties is an extreme measure in a crisis not a permanent solution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 6, 2024 11:45 AM

Then why are people fleeing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 6, 2024 2:00 PM

Maybe an MS 13 credit card would have worked just as well. All backed with crypto of course. What could go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2024 2:21 PM

When did DL become a hypeman for the next Tucker Carlson fascist blowjob?

by Anonymousreply 39June 6, 2024 2:29 PM

I was just thinking the same thing R39. WTF.

by Anonymousreply 40June 6, 2024 3:14 PM

I understand all the arguments about making El Salvador safer but what is the end game? How do you try all of those incarcerated when they don’t have charges, aren’t accused of any particular crime? Do you hold them indefinitely and if not, what happens when they are released?

You cannot incarcerate your way out of a crime problem, as the U.S. is a good example of this impossibility.

Bukele says he’ll only serve two terms. What does the next president do with the prisoners? Continue to hold them without charges? Release them and have another crane wave on their hands? It really is a non-solution solution.

by Anonymousreply 41June 6, 2024 3:38 PM

Violent crime in the US is at the lowest level in decades. Why do we need to listen to this guy? This just more spam.

by Anonymousreply 42June 6, 2024 3:46 PM

watch, the prison population will drop and suddenly El Salvador will become a big exporter of cheap dog food.

by Anonymousreply 43June 6, 2024 4:15 PM

Suspending the rule of law to accomplish your goal still = third world shithole Interviewing with Tucker Carlson to brag about your accomplishments still = third world shithole Inviting the Trump family and friends to your inauguration still = third world shithole

by Anonymousreply 44June 6, 2024 5:09 PM

So many hearts bleeding over MS-13.

by Anonymousreply 45June 7, 2024 3:03 AM

[quote] Suspending civil liberties is an extreme measure

True. This is partially how Alberto Fujimori got rid of the insurgent Shining Path in Peru.

by Anonymousreply 46June 7, 2024 3:21 AM

His approval rating is around 90%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 7, 2024 3:32 AM

"Freedom House" ranks El Salvador as "Partly Free".

It's "Freedom Score" is 53 (out of 100).

Cuba, (a country some here speak about glowingly) has a score of 12.

by Anonymousreply 48June 7, 2024 4:01 AM

And Zelinskyy's Ukraine ranks 49.

by Anonymousreply 49June 7, 2024 4:03 AM

Give Zelinskyy a break; he's been at war for the majority of his term.

by Anonymousreply 50June 7, 2024 4:42 AM

Politician for new times.

by Anonymousreply 51June 7, 2024 8:26 PM

R48, who? Who here is speaking glowingly about Cuba? Cuba is a failed state and I haven’t seen anyone here singing it’s praises.

by Anonymousreply 52June 7, 2024 11:22 PM

I would love to visit Cuba!

by Anonymousreply 53June 9, 2024 3:35 PM

R16 self hating Republican voting homo detected.

by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2024 5:45 PM

Good post R16

by Anonymousreply 55June 9, 2024 5:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!