Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Don't get in between a grizzly sow and her cubs

The guy linked below offers firsthand experience (and some disturbing NSFW photos) on what happens if you do:

"I've thought long and hard about how to share my encounter with a female grizzly and her cub. Let me preface this by saying how much I love and respect wildlife. Anyone who knows me knows this about me. In fact, the second thing I said to the park rangers was, "Please don't kill the bear, she was defending her cub." What happened up on Signal Mountain was a case of wrong place, wrong time.

Sunday afternoon, I was attacked by a mother grizzly protecting her cub. It was the most violent thing I have ever experienced. I've been shot at, mortared, and experienced IED explosions. I am a disabled veteran in the Army Reserve.

I was walking through the woods on Signal Mountain, looking to photograph a Great Grey Owl. My wife and I had learned that this was a hotspot for the species, and I was hopeful I'd see one. I told my wife I would be back at the parking lot in one hour. At the time of the attack, about 1.25 hours had passed. I knew she would be getting worried, so I decided to B-line it back to the car using my phone's GPS. Due to poor service, I could only see the park identification on the GPS and my current location. I started to walk fast to that location, with a really uncomfortable feeling. I was breaking branches, singing, and talking to myself aloud - things that can help prevent a "surprise encounter" with a brown bear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 11, 2024 2:26 PM

That was a polite reminder.

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2024 9:24 PM

But is he brave enough to try his luck in a Bear BAR?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2024 9:25 PM

R2, gay bear maulings are far scarier! Lots of nails and hair pulled.

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2024 9:27 PM

I think the maulee is cute.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2024 9:29 PM

I think it’s terrible that female bears have to share a name with female pigs.

🐻🐻

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2024 9:31 PM

Tasty, too, R4

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2024 9:32 PM

There are bears that always come out in spring and summer from the woods behind my house. One summer a momma bear and her child walked to the front lawn on my neighbor’s yard. I took a pic because I’m uneducated about bears. I was like 8 feet away max. In the pic the bear is looking at me like, am I in the mood to check this dumb human or nah?

I don’t think the bears in my state are dangerous really but it was still dumb.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2024 9:37 PM

Black bears are usually timid and avoid contact with humans. Unless you get between a sow and her cubs.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2024 9:43 PM

Somebody has to protect THE CHILDREN.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2024 9:43 PM

I respect him for pleading that the bear not be put down. She was only doing what is a natural instinct for a sow with cubs.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2024 9:47 PM

His account continues:

The first bite and slash was on my back/ right shoulder. I screamed. She then turned, stepping on my back, and bit one of my legs, picking me up and slamming me on the ground multiple times. She bit each leg from my buttocks to my inner knee about three times each. The final time I screamed again. This, unfortunately but fortunately, turned her attention to my head. I believe she went in for a kill bite on my neck. I still had my hands interlocked and my arms protecting my carotid arteries. I never let go of the bear spray can. As she bit my hands and the back of my neck, she simultaneously bit the bear spray can, and it exploded in her mouth. This saved my life from the initial attack. I heard her run away and instantly ran in the opposite direction up a hill.

As for the animal responsible: because the bear was acting in its natural capacity (responding to a perceived threat), it is not being pursued by park rangers at this time

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2024 10:07 PM

Wow! Bears eat you ass first.

I've been seeing a lot of tiktoks about how cute bears are and how they're dying to be domesticated. Don't think so!

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2024 10:17 PM

This s why I roll my eyes when some silly frau calls herself a Mama Bear. Bitch, you don’t have this kind of power.

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2024 10:24 PM

What's the point of this story?

I'm glad the bear wasn't killed.

No, I don't think he's cute.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2024 10:25 PM

R14, don't be complacent in bear country.

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2024 10:39 PM

What a pussy this guy is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2024 10:49 PM

There have been bear spottings in my neighborhood in northern NJ. Their habitat is expanding here.

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2024 11:01 PM

But not grizzlies r17.

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2024 11:16 PM

He had it coming

by Anonymousreply 19June 6, 2024 12:20 AM

RAAAARRRR

by Anonymousreply 20June 6, 2024 3:37 AM

Maul face thread alert. 🐻

by Anonymousreply 21June 6, 2024 3:46 AM

Carrying bear spray makes a lot of hikers complacent in bear country. They think it's a full-proof protection, but in reality, many little factors have to go in your favor for it to work. If the wind is blowing the wrong way, you'll likely end up bear-spraying yourself. And bears can charge at over 30 mph. You have a minute or less to think on your feet. I'd guess that bear spray is only around 25% effective.

by Anonymousreply 22June 6, 2024 7:22 AM

R17, black bears are less concerning.

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2024 3:36 PM

I don’t know how he could run with all those bites on his legs.

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2024 9:01 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 25June 11, 2024 2:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!