Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has a recall ever been issued for your car?

If so, what happened? Was it a pain to resolve the problem or easy?

by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2024 10:39 PM

Eldercare here. I was the original purchaser of a 1971 Chevy Vega. The thing was recalled at least 4 times and that's probably an undercount.

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2024 6:45 PM

NHTSA will make the manufacturer you a notice through the mail if you’re the original owner. You can also check on recalls at the link below. Dealers are usually not supposed to sell a car with a recall that wasn’t addressed.

Carfax will also show you any open recalls on your car.

You then take it into the dealer for the fix for free. Hopefully, they have the parts in stock. Sometimes the dealer can give you a loaner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2024 6:53 PM

Yes, at least two recalls, maybe three. I just took it to the dealer and they fixed whatever the issues were, for free of course. Not a big deal for me but I could see it being a real hassle if you need your car every day or don't have anybody nearby to get a ride from if you need it.

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2024 7:17 PM

The airbag inflator, like those replaced on most cars built with Tanaka products. The Honda people wrote to say it was an issue, more so if you lived in a humid climate, and they'd let you know when they had the parts. They did and installed them in an hour maybe six weeks later. Other than that, it's the only service it has had apart from the routine stuff like oil changes and anti-freeze in fifteen years.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2024 7:20 PM

Easy. I had the airbag recall. Made an appointment. Drank two cups of crappy coffee in the waiting room and it was done.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2024 7:50 PM

I have been waiting for almost a year to get my Mazda's backup camera replaced. Twice I have shown up at the nearest dealership 30 - 45 minutes away because I have set up appointments because they said they were able to replace it only for me to show up and discover they were not. I was later told it was someone at the national call center that said this. I did not realize they pick up when I call the local number. I will never get another Mazda.

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2024 8:07 PM

There have been two recalls on my Honda during the 14 years I've had it and neither was a big deal. One was a fix that only took a few minutes (because the appointment was scheduled, not a walk-in) and the Takata airbag recall was similarly painless because their inspection found my car was unaffected.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2024 8:23 PM

If it’s possible to avoid a big chain dealership, do so.

by Anonymousreply 8June 6, 2024 9:24 PM

Two. Both were handled quickly and with no fuss. Honda.

by Anonymousreply 9June 6, 2024 9:43 PM

Yes, Toyota Prius - they changed something when I went in for service.

by Anonymousreply 10June 6, 2024 9:49 PM

Yes and ignored it. Apparently there was a problem with the airbag launching metal shrapnel into people's eyes and faces. I just couldn't be bothered. 2003 Acura TL in case anyone is curious.

by Anonymousreply 11June 7, 2024 2:22 AM

I just had my first one ever for my Genesis. Took all day. There’s only a Hyundai dealership near me, and they admitted they were slow at getting them done as quickly as they should.

by Anonymousreply 12June 7, 2024 4:17 AM

Is it the gas pedal on your Tesla truck? Just glue it

by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2024 5:32 AM

Yes, on a couple of my cars. Dealership fixed them, and I got loaner cars during the repairs.

by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2024 5:48 AM

My 1994 Ford Explorer had several recalls, the most serious of which was the Firestone tires fiasco. I took it into Beverly Hills Ford and waited a half hour before leaving with five brand new Michelin tires.

The 2005 Volvo S60R had a couple recalls, including the MAF sensor that took forever due to scarcity of the part.

My 2015 Mercedes E350 wagon has had a few that were fixed during regular maintenance appointments.

by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2024 6:14 AM

19-something Toyota. Can't remember what it was for but was no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2024 7:06 AM

Big old double recall for Kia Tellurides right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2024 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!