Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just watched FEUD: Bette vs Joan and wasn’t fond of Lange. Who would have been better as Joan?

Jessica Lange can never play a “Character” she is always “Jessica Lange IS…”. Which current actress would have been better suited playing Joan Crawford?

by Anonymousreply 123June 12, 2024 12:31 PM

I don't have a suggestion but honestly think Sarandon LOOKED more like Crawford - if not when FEUD was filmed, for sure at other points in her career.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2024 3:23 AM

Lange did just fine. The fact that you can't think of a better choice probably says a lot - it's quite difficult to play Joan Crawford without it being an imitation.

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2024 3:38 AM

I thought Lange was fantastic. I can't think of anyone who would have been better.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2024 3:39 AM

Emma Stone

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2024 3:39 AM

Not to enrage the Lange Loon but Sarandon outshone Lange the entire series.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2024 3:40 AM

r5 Agreed

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2024 3:41 AM

R5, Nope.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2024 3:42 AM

r6 is pretending to be me but is not me.

by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2024 3:45 AM

r8 Seek help, sweetheart - no clue why you think I'm pretending to be you. How odd.

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2024 3:46 AM

It was Lange’s show, 100%. She was absolutely terrific.

by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2024 3:48 AM

Me, still looking 23 and starring in The Secret Storm.

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2024 3:50 AM

[quote] no clue why you think I'm pretending to be you. How odd.

Because you explicitly claim to be r3 (which is my own post) at r6. And troll-dar will prove me correct to anyone who checks.

How not odd.

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2024 3:52 AM

Sean Young looks the most like Crawford. It’s too bad she doesn’t get much work. She would’ve been great as Crawford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2024 3:52 AM

It's funny that during all the publicity and stuff for Feud Lange and Ryan Murphy never addressed Mommie Dearest.

(at least as far as I know.)

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2024 4:05 AM

Jessica Lange sucked. I will never understand her canonization on DL. I’ve hated her in everything.

Blue Sky is virtually unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2024 4:07 AM

Jessica Lange was brilliant as Joan Crawford. Brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2024 4:09 AM

Lange was outstanding throughout FEUD especially in the final episode. Her acting was sensational.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2024 4:12 AM

R14 from a vanity fair article on Joan’s friendship with William Haines

“Joan Crawford has gotten a really bad rap through the years, because of that Mommie Dearest film, which froze her as this wire hangers, monstrous archetype,” Murphy explained by phone on Wednesday. “I’m not going to try and dispute Christina Crawford or her book, because that’s her personal recollection. But Joan Crawford was more than what her daughter wrote. She was also a really good person and a really good friend.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2024 4:13 AM

When fans watch a Jessica Lange miniseries, they expect to see Jessica Lange, so no one else would be okay.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2024 4:22 AM

R1 It’s funny you mention that. When the cast was first announced, the article didn’t mention who was playing which role. I honestly thought Sarandon would play Crawford and Lange would be Davis.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2024 4:27 AM

R15- She was certainly good in Tootsie.

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2024 4:29 AM

Bette Davis said near the end of her life that she would most want Susan Sarandon to play her of all the other young actresses around.

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2024 4:30 AM

Cole Escola would have been better.

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2024 4:33 AM

[quote]I honestly thought Sarandon would play Crawford and Lange would be Davis.

I don't know why, r20, Sarandon's the one with Bette Davis eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2024 4:36 AM

[quote]R13 Sean Young looks the most like Crawford. It’s too bad she doesn’t get much work. She would’ve been great as Crawford.

Sean Young is utterly beautiful - and her most convincing performance was playing a robot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2024 5:05 AM

r15 is not one of Jessica Lange's FANS!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 26June 4, 2024 5:30 AM

Jessica was fine in Feud, but in no way did she look, sound or act like Joan Crawford. She played herself like she always does. I remember that year the Lange Loon kept saying she would win the Emmy, when everyone knew Nicole Kidman would win for Big, Little Lies.

by Anonymousreply 27June 4, 2024 5:31 AM

I would have done my own singing in Sweet Dreams and would have sounded exactly like Patsy Cline.

by Anonymousreply 28June 4, 2024 5:34 AM

I thought Lange did a good job. She wouldn't win a Joan Crawford lookalike contest but she was compelling. You really felt the loneliness and desperation. The show was way more interested in her than Davis so it's hard to say much about Sarandon's performance.

by Anonymousreply 29June 4, 2024 5:37 AM

Lange was miscast. She looked oriental.

by Anonymousreply 30June 4, 2024 5:41 AM

That season of Feud was 95% bullshit. It should have come with a warning that the show was a work of fiction.

by Anonymousreply 31June 4, 2024 5:42 AM

Lange said she decided to give Joan an accent because of where she was born. Um, Joan didn’t have a Southern accent, you dumb bitch.

by Anonymousreply 32June 4, 2024 5:43 AM

R32, Lange said she watched videos of Joan and emulated the way she spoke. She never said anything about her being Southern, nor did she put on a Southern accent in her interpretation of Joan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 4, 2024 6:03 AM

Um Hello! I haven't been mentioned or compared to Lange yet!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 34June 4, 2024 6:12 AM

Unfortunately she has already passed away - but I think that Dixie Carter would have made a good Joan Crawford

by Anonymousreply 35June 4, 2024 6:13 AM

Faye Dunaway, of course

by Anonymousreply 36June 4, 2024 6:27 AM

R24 I didn’t know about that at the time, nor that Bette had wanted Susan to play her. I could just see Sarandon also looking like Crawford with the right hair and makeup.

by Anonymousreply 37June 4, 2024 6:29 AM

I remember Bette wanting Carol Kane to play her. I think they lived in the same apartment complex in LA.

by Anonymousreply 38June 4, 2024 9:58 AM

cate blanchett, possibly Angelina Jolie but that would have required a lip reduction. gwyneth paltrow could have done something interesting.

by Anonymousreply 39June 4, 2024 10:31 AM

I’d kind of like to see Olivia Wilde play Joan in a limited series remake of “Mommie Dearest”. One that takes a different approach to the film.

by Anonymousreply 40June 4, 2024 11:11 AM

Glenn Close would have nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 41June 4, 2024 11:16 AM

I always thought Lange was overrated as well. Can't believe she won for Tootsie. Completely undeserved. Never understood the love for her on DL.

by Anonymousreply 42June 4, 2024 11:50 AM

Lange is a "hot house" genre of actor. You have to adjust your criteria and filters and then go forward to see what she can do.

by Anonymousreply 43June 4, 2024 11:52 AM

LaWanda Page coulda nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 44June 4, 2024 11:58 AM

Lange looked elderly. For whatever reason, Sarandon’s facial work is better. I think Lange’s small eyes played against her. Sigourney Weaver would have been fantastic if they could make her look half a foot shorter. .

Gillian Anderson looked like a 1930s Joan Crawford in her youth but she would have been terrible with that hoarse voice.

by Anonymousreply 45June 4, 2024 12:02 PM

Jared Leto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 4, 2024 12:13 PM

Susan Sarandon is an annoying cunt, but a truly good actress. She had less focus in this series but acted circles around Lange, who I do like as well, but find overrated. She spent too much time trying to contrast Faye’s iconic performance by underplaying everything.

by Anonymousreply 47June 4, 2024 12:24 PM

R15, R42, The praise for Lange is not just a DL thing. She is beloved and revered among her peers, the acting community, and the industry in general, which is why she has endured and continues to get roles despite never being a big box office draw.

R42, The Oscar for Tootsie, as discussed many times, was consolation for not awarding Lange the Best Actress Oscar for Frances that same year.

by Anonymousreply 48June 4, 2024 12:33 PM

The people who hate Feud are the types who believe that Mommie Dearest was a 100% true account of Crawford's life and the only thing worth telling about Crawford's life. I thought Feud was more compelling because it was about two women getting older in a business that had little use for women getting older in a time when there was nothing neither could do about it. Both performances were fine.

by Anonymousreply 49June 4, 2024 12:34 PM

R49 I get so sick of hearing that shit. A hell of a lot more older female actresses are working than older males. The whole “woe is me! I’m a woman” thing is so played out.

by Anonymousreply 50June 4, 2024 12:49 PM

Lange was awful. I occasional could suspend belief and see Sarandon as Davis, but never did Lange seem to be Crawford. Sigourney would have had the right look and could do Crawford’s anger. I’m less sure about the vulnerability, but she would have been better than Lange.

Lange was mostly a plot device in “Tootsie” and probably the weakest player in an otherwise strong cast.

by Anonymousreply 51June 4, 2024 1:27 PM

R50, R49 was talking about the past, when roles for women of a certain age were scarce and actresses of Crawford and Davis' stature were forced to take out ads and do hagsploitation films, while their male counterparts like Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart and Fred Astaire were romancing young female leads. Things have slowly changed but that's because television has become the go-to place for compelling stories centered on women.

by Anonymousreply 52June 4, 2024 5:29 PM

[quote] I thought Lange did a good job. She wouldn't win a Joan Crawford lookalike contest but she was compelling. You really felt the loneliness and desperation. The show was way more interested in her than Davis so it's hard to say much about Sarandon's performance.

Which is interesting because Murphy said he wanted to do the series because of his strong interest in Davis, whom he once met. But I agree with you--the show was more interested in Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 53June 4, 2024 5:35 PM

Lange stole every scene from Sarandon, creating the appearance that the show was more interested in Crawford. The real Bette Davis would not have allowed that.

by Anonymousreply 54June 4, 2024 6:13 PM

Maybe it was that Lange was able to inhabit the role more fully because the hair and makeup favoured her. Sarandon just seemed like Sarandon to me the whole show. Anyway for the story of a feud it seemed a bit genteel to me, on everybody's part.

by Anonymousreply 55June 4, 2024 6:15 PM

r49 100% accurate

by Anonymousreply 56June 4, 2024 10:15 PM

Susan didn't even bother to do Bette's accent. It was one of the laziest performances I've ever seen given by a major actress. No way should she have been nominated for an Emmy for it. Just awful.

I didn't think Lange was bad, but it was always going to be hard to top Dunaway's performance.

[quote]Lange was mostly a plot device in “Tootsie” and probably the weakest player in an otherwise strong cast.

I love Lange, but she got two oscars for some of her weakest performances. Had she won for Frances or Music Box, it would be a much different story. She really should have tied with Streep in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 57June 4, 2024 10:27 PM

f57 " I didn't think Lange was bad, but it was always going to be hard to top Dunaway's performance. "

Go see a drag show, then. I don't think Lange/Sarandon were trying to do impersonations

by Anonymousreply 58June 4, 2024 10:39 PM

[quote]I don't think Lange/Sarandon were trying to do impersonations

It's not an impersonation to do someone's accent. That accent is what helped make Davis the icon she is. It'd be like having a British thespian portrayed with American diction. Ridiculous.

If you can't make the effort for something so basic, then you've no business portraying her.

by Anonymousreply 59June 4, 2024 10:44 PM

R33, she definitely did. Lange and Murphy spoke endlessly about having a Texas twang added to Joan’s accent for the show. He then put in the Mommie Dearest opening for the show with the ice cubes even though that never happened and Lange said she had no idea why she was being told to do that. The show was a mess.

[quote] “The Texas twang would come out when she would drink. The mid-Atlantic movie star MGM bullshit accent would go away. There was great pain in [her transformation], but also I really admire it and relate to it. I was also an impoverished kid from Indiana who moved out here with 37 or 50 bucks in my pocket, and re-created myself.

by Anonymousreply 60June 4, 2024 10:54 PM

They even made up that Crawford had her back teeth removed, that Bette had an affair with her director and got a gay man out of jail. They also put in the fake body odor story concocted by the Joan Crawford parody Facebook group inspired by Bette’s film “The Anniversary”. Putting a feminist slant on it that they only hated each other because mean old men made them that way was beyond laughable.

by Anonymousreply 61June 4, 2024 10:56 PM

Lange is a wonderful actress, but Joan was much younger and more beautiful, even in middle age than Jessica, and she just couldn't inhabit her that way. Just my take.

by Anonymousreply 62June 4, 2024 11:01 PM

[quote] Susan didn't even bother to do Bette's accent.

She DID do it, but only when Bette spoke publicly to the press (such as when she talks to reporters on the red carpet at the Oscars).

In real life, that accent was just something Bette put on as part of her public persona. It was like Marilyn Monroe's breathy baby-doll voice--neither woman really spoke that way when they weren't in front of a public or before a microphone

by Anonymousreply 63June 4, 2024 11:05 PM

Bette Davis always excuded something powerfull and intense to me. A basically benevolent volcano as Olivia de Havilland described it. That vulcano quality wast totally amiss in Sarandons performance. I remember an interview with her about Feud and she seemed completly catatonic and disinterested when asked about Bette Davis and the whole project.

Langes Joan on the other hand radiated that dangerous vulcano quality in spades.

by Anonymousreply 64June 4, 2024 11:26 PM

Both are overrated hams who always chew the scenery.

by Anonymousreply 65June 4, 2024 11:33 PM

Olivia de Havilland is the reason it’s never been officially released on physical media.

by Anonymousreply 66June 5, 2024 12:36 AM

Here's Sarandon singing in the famous Bette Davis public voice with the clipped consonants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 5, 2024 12:45 AM

[quote]Olivia de Havilland is the reason it’s never been officially released on physical media.

An awful lot of unofficial DVDs are available online, then.

by Anonymousreply 68June 5, 2024 12:53 AM

[quote] Olivia de Havilland is the reason it’s never been officially released on physical media.

That's not right.

First of all, she lost her case.

Second, she's been dead for quite some time now, and you can't libel the dead.

by Anonymousreply 69June 5, 2024 12:55 AM

I see a lot of myself in Ms. Debra Winger

by Anonymousreply 70June 5, 2024 1:08 AM

[quote]R61 They even made up that Crawford had her back teeth removed….

I don’t know that they “made this up.” It was mentioned in the 1978 book FLESH & FANTASY (which is great, BTW.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 5, 2024 1:18 AM

I think both Lange and Sarandon are great actresses. I enjoyed Feud the second time through it much more. However, Sarandon's attempt at Davis' staccato speaking style was often a fail for me. Also Sarandon is a physical giant compared to diminutive Bette so that also didn't always work.

by Anonymousreply 72June 5, 2024 1:56 AM

[quote]It should have come with a warning that the show was a work of fiction.

It did.

by Anonymousreply 73June 5, 2024 8:51 AM

[quote]Never understood the love for her on DL.

It’s hardly DL. She’s popular.

by Anonymousreply 74June 5, 2024 9:04 AM

[quote]She played herself like she always does.

OK then, well with 2 Academy Awards on 5 nominations, 3 Emmys on 10 noms, 5 Golden Globes on 16 noms, a SAG on 6 noms and a Tony award on 2 noms. Works for her!

by Anonymousreply 75June 5, 2024 9:07 AM

Jessica is popular? Her dementia film on Max already dropped out of the top ten in less than a week.

by Anonymousreply 76June 5, 2024 7:12 PM

This thread inspired me to rewatch Bette's Cavett interview and also this one that I had never seen but is quite delicious...and a bit dirty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77June 5, 2024 7:34 PM

Bebe Neuwirth as Joan.

by Anonymousreply 78June 5, 2024 8:27 PM

One of her last ones. Touching and funny when she askes Steve Kmetko to talk about her as a good actress after she´s gone.

How do you wanna be remembered?

As a good actress!

I don´t think there´s gonna be a problem

You don´t? Will you say that for me when i´m gone?

Certainly.

It´s not gonna be too far away though so we have to rehearse it now! (lights up cigarette)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 6, 2024 11:44 AM

Bryan Johnson must be shaking and crying with rage at those interviews.

by Anonymousreply 80June 6, 2024 11:55 AM

Sarandon acts with her tits.

by Anonymousreply 81June 6, 2024 3:39 PM

Rosamund Pike would make a perfect Joan.

by Anonymousreply 82June 6, 2024 4:17 PM

Jessica Lange isn’t as popular, I believe, because hasn’t been in as many memorable films as Streep, Close, Weaver or Sarandon. They are masters at choosing projects that suit their personae.

Lange didn’t act as frequently as those peers, and what she did choose, there was a lot of filler among her more high profile stuff. Even Blue Sky was a load of shit.

by Anonymousreply 83June 6, 2024 6:05 PM

She was fine in Blue Sky but the only memorable bits were Jessica showing her tits and calling Tommy Lee Jones “daddy”.

by Anonymousreply 84June 6, 2024 6:07 PM

this show was pointless. two spoiled bitches. that what they shoulda called it. Two Spoiled Cunts in a Rotten Stinking Business.

by Anonymousreply 85June 6, 2024 6:18 PM

Jessica Lange's been giving the same performance no matter who she's playing for at least the last 20 years...

by Anonymousreply 86June 6, 2024 6:24 PM

The show could have been aptly titled “HAGS!”, but the actresses would probably have been less likely to sign on.

by Anonymousreply 87June 6, 2024 6:33 PM

[quote] I don’t know that they “made this up.” It was mentioned in the 1978 book FLESH & FANTASY (which is great, BTW.)

They did. Joan’s dental x-rays are on the Concluding Chapter of Joan Crawford site which debunked it. Ryan Murphy and co did no actual research.

by Anonymousreply 88June 6, 2024 6:45 PM

[quote]Jessica Lange's been giving the same performance no matter who she's playing for at least the last 20 years...

I read this criticism on DL a lot. Another criticism is that she's been playing Blanche DuBois in every project. Lange's performance as Joan Crawford in Feud is very different from Blanche DuBois, which is far removed from her portrayal of Sister Jude in AHS or Big Edie Beal in Grey Gardens. So I think these criticisms are a load of bullshit, made by people who just want to bitch about her and haven't really been paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 89June 6, 2024 6:47 PM

[quote] That's not right. First of all, she lost her case. Second, she's been dead for quite some time now, and you can't libel the dead.

She was still alive when the show became a critical bomb. The lawsuit went on for awhile. By the time it was all over there was no money in releasing it commercially and Olivia’s suit cost them money in terms of legal bills.

by Anonymousreply 90June 6, 2024 6:48 PM

R89 I agree with everything you say.

by Anonymousreply 91June 6, 2024 7:05 PM

R89- That’s a tagline of the Datalounge-

Pointless Bitchery since 1995.

by Anonymousreply 92June 6, 2024 7:13 PM

Joe Manginello is his schedule allows

by Anonymousreply 93June 6, 2024 7:42 PM

People haven’t really been paying attention because she’s unpopular.

by Anonymousreply 94June 6, 2024 8:47 PM

I would watch Faye reprise Joan again. I think i can see Ryan Murphy being strong enough to dial down her over-the-top acting at times.

by Anonymousreply 95June 7, 2024 7:02 PM

Jessica Lange gave an interview around the time Blue Sky came out, saying she knew her days as a leading actress in film were coming to an end, and she wasn't sure what she was going to do because she "didn't want to be a character actress." That comment bugged me, though I usually enjoy her interviews and the fact she calls modern awards season "a freak show" and is open about the sorry state of the American film industry.

Regarding her acting, I loved her in Frances, but think she's rather overpraised in general. She does sorrow and rage well, but can be gaudy and self-repetitive and her overall filmography is quite middlebrow.

I would have liked to see Sigourney Weaver as Joan and Judy Davis as Bette.

by Anonymousreply 96June 7, 2024 7:17 PM

She's delusional if he doesn't believe she's become a "character actress" with advancing age.

by Anonymousreply 97June 7, 2024 7:46 PM

[quote]Jessica Lange gave an interview around the time Blue Sky came out, saying she knew her days as a leading actress in film were coming to an end, and she wasn't sure what she was going to do because she "didn't want to be a character actress."

Which is interesting because she's said she also downplayed her sex symbol status in the 80's, deliberately going for more serious roles.

by Anonymousreply 98June 7, 2024 9:21 PM

She was derided as an ex-model. She had no choice if her career would last.

by Anonymousreply 99June 7, 2024 9:36 PM

The second Olivia filed her frivolous lawsuit, Murphy should have announced the next season of "Feud" would be "de Havilland vs Fontaine"!

by Anonymousreply 100June 9, 2024 5:56 AM

The episode I really love is the Oscars episode. It had so many great moments in it, and that great ending where Joan comes home for the Oscarcast and realize how she put so much hard work into her scheming, and even though she succeeded, in the end it was really for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 101June 9, 2024 6:19 AM

The way you people talk.. the women are actresses, not mediums. According to you all they might as well dig up both actresses and put them on set. Because according to you all - THEY are the only ones who can play themselves.

by Anonymousreply 102June 9, 2024 7:27 AM

R101 That was definitely my favourite episode. And the fact they shot it in the actual theatre where the Oscars were held that year was just a bonus.

by Anonymousreply 103June 9, 2024 7:28 AM

[quote] Regarding her acting, I loved her in Frances, but think she's rather overpraised in general. She does sorrow and rage well, but can be gaudy and self-repetitive and her overall filmography is quite middlebrow.

Meryl Streep envies Jessica, but reading between the lines, it’s her beauty and sensuality and coolness that Meryl doesn’t have.

by Anonymousreply 104June 9, 2024 8:06 AM

[quote] The second Olivia filed her frivolous lawsuit, Murphy should have announced the next season of "Feud" would be "de Havilland vs Fontaine"!

Sickly sweet Jennifer Garner IS Olivia de Havilland! Scarlett Johansson IS Joan Fontaine!

by Anonymousreply 105June 9, 2024 8:11 AM

R67 Sue's interpretation is rather loose. Bette was military-like in her movement and musicality.

by Anonymousreply 106June 9, 2024 10:34 AM

Meryl doesn’t envy Jessica, certainly not anymore. She was just being nice since she won best actress over Jessica for Sophie’s Choice.

by Anonymousreply 107June 9, 2024 2:20 PM

Only Miss Crawford could play Miss Crawford. You know when you're looking at the real thing, fellas!

by Anonymousreply 108June 9, 2024 2:34 PM

[quote]the next season of "Feud" would be "de Havilland vs Fontaine"

Team Fontaine here. de Havilland was a noted cunt.

by Anonymousreply 109June 9, 2024 2:36 PM

Why hasn't Streep done Broadway? She did a Shakespeare in the Park decades ago but she was trained for stage work for God's sake. Lange came and conquered.

by Anonymousreply 110June 9, 2024 4:08 PM

I suppose she was too busy making critically acclaimed movies.

by Anonymousreply 111June 9, 2024 4:14 PM

Meryl made millions from movies and television projects. When she became a superstar, Dustin Hoffman told that she would never return to the stage.

by Anonymousreply 112June 9, 2024 4:18 PM

R110, Meryl started on the Broadway stage, but once she conquered the world of cinema, why bother going back? You have to have the stamina to perform eight times a week and the ability to adjust and improvise when things go awry live onstage. The way Meryl invests so much of herself in her meticulous characterizations might be too taxing to sustain every week, and too stressful for a perfectionist like her when things go off the rails. I'm not saying Meryl can't do it now, but she has no reason to.

by Anonymousreply 113June 9, 2024 8:01 PM

Fontaine was the one who had a daughter who couldn't stand her...

by Anonymousreply 114June 9, 2024 10:51 PM

Madonna should have played Bette and Cher Joan.

by Anonymousreply 115June 10, 2024 3:02 AM

[quote] Meryl started on the Broadway stage, but once she conquered the world of cinema, why bother going back?

That didn't stop Katharine Hepburn from going back, who also conquered the world of cinema in her heyday.

by Anonymousreply 116June 10, 2024 3:28 AM

I love the phrase "she conquered the world of cinema"--who but a gay man would ever say that?

by Anonymousreply 117June 10, 2024 3:32 AM

[quote]That didn't stop Katharine Hepburn from going back, who also conquered the world of cinema in her heyday.

She had her box office poison period, r117, which sent her back to the stage, r117. Bette's three returns to the stage were not successful.

by Anonymousreply 118June 10, 2024 3:43 AM

[quote]R104 Meryl Streep envies Jessica, but reading between the lines, it’s her beauty and sensuality and coolness that Meryl doesn’t have.

IMO, Jessica only had this beauty and sensuality in All that Jazz, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Frances and Tootsie. She somehow lost those qualities early on and didn't seem to have much range as an actress in the roles that followed. And she's not as talented as Meryl Streep...no way. (And this isn't a shot at her, I doubt she thinks she is.)

by Anonymousreply 119June 12, 2024 4:25 AM

[quote]R115 Madonna should have played Bette and Cher Joan.

Joan was four times older than Bette??

by Anonymousreply 120June 12, 2024 5:35 AM

[quote]R116 That didn't stop Katharine Hepburn from going back, who also conquered the world of cinema in her heyday.

Hepburn returned to the stage during slumps in her screen career (like after she was voted Box Office Poison.)

She was a girl without a contract when she did THE PHILADELPHIA STORY for the Theatre Guild.

Hepburn also made a lot of money by going on tours with her plays. Streep doesn’t need money, as major stars are much better paid now.

by Anonymousreply 121June 12, 2024 5:44 AM

^^ oh… I just saw that r118 essentially said the same thing!

Sorry

by Anonymousreply 122June 12, 2024 5:45 AM

[quote]I suppose she was too busy making critically acclaimed movies.

Otherwise known as flops.

by Anonymousreply 123June 12, 2024 12:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!