Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Richard Linklater complained that no studio wanted to buy the very well-reviewed (97% RT) Hit Man to release in theaters

To which I agree with the studios.

The reason?

Digital cinematography. It makes it look dark and cheap, like a TV drama.

Many movies no longer look like “movies”. They are ugly to look at with muddy brown tints. Most Netflix programming already looks like this, so it fits right in. I wouldn’t go to pay to see this in a theater because it looks like shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 16, 2024 9:26 PM

Boundaries. Stated.

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2024 10:13 PM

Compare the lighting with the 2004 piece of garbage White Chicks

For all its faults, this looked like a movie. Shooting and lighting for film gave movies this look. They don’t need to do that with digital so Hit Man looks like a television show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2024 10:15 PM

"Digital cinematography. It makes it look dark and cheap, like a TV drama."

You don't know what you're talking about. Do some research.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2024 10:29 PM

R3 okay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2024 10:48 PM

Since it’s a long video

This is how movies and tv used to look when they had to light on film. The RGB spectrum shows a full range of darkness and highlights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2024 10:51 PM

And digital

Keep in mind the digital spectrum is a conscious choice. They don’t have to shoot like this, they simply choose to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2024 10:53 PM

This is definitely one of those wait until it's free on streaming movies.

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2024 10:54 PM

Ooh, Retta. I love Retta.

The reviews are great, but that trailer is shit.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2024 11:02 PM

R4 Darkness is the choice of the filmmakers. It has nothing to do with digital vs. film photography. You can achieve the same degree of light, shadows and color variations with digital as you would with film with less grain and far more image steadiness although films nowadays are scaled to digital for exhibition so everything you see is digital to some degree, and of course image manipulation is mostly done in post production.

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2024 4:30 AM

Watched it tonight. It's got elements of Hitchcock, the Coen Brothers, film noir, and screwball comedy.

Powell and Adria Arjena (sp?) have the best chemistry I've seen in a movie in years, and her combination of acting chops and pure sexiness are reminiscent of Kathleen Turner in Body Heat.

Just loved every minute. If the studios don't want to buy anything this good, it's a real statement about the industry.

by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2024 4:16 AM

OP

Thanks for sharing, but your take is not exactly an original thought.

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2024 4:25 AM

I hate Netflix lighting. They have never met green or brown tones they didnt like

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2024 5:33 AM

OP is watching on his 27” CRT TV.

by Anonymousreply 13June 8, 2024 7:13 AM

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2024 10:42 AM

[quote]Darkness is the choice of the filmmakers.

Yes, it is the choice to be lazy and hold your audience in contempt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2024 11:05 AM

Almost all the news films on Netflix are shallow, overly simplified B pictures (with A-list names) that lack the depth, characterization, and production the quality that the best films have.

by Anonymousreply 16June 8, 2024 1:00 PM

Does Glenn get his ass out?

by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2024 1:22 PM

R17: Not this time. There is one scene where she rides him but nothing is shown.

by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2024 1:27 PM

R16 do you know why? Because Netflix films are specifically made to be passable entertainment to watch while you’re doing something else. The executives actually tell writers and directors to remove complex plot points because the assumption is that the audience is folding laundry, swiping through their phone or getting in the mood to perform sexual acts on each other.

They probably encourage their filmmakers to used muted, neutral tones so that the picture doesn’t distract you too much.

This image is literally the color of diarrhea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2024 1:46 PM

For comparison, here is the bathtub scene in The Talented Mr Ripley

You can see things

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2024 1:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 8, 2024 1:57 PM

[quote] Powell and Adria Arjena (sp?) have the best chemistry I've seen in a movie in years, and her combination of acting chops and pure sexiness are reminiscent of Kathleen Turner in Body Heat.

R10 = Adria Arjena

by Anonymousreply 22June 8, 2024 2:31 PM

OP is listening to Glenn Miller on his Victrola.

by Anonymousreply 23June 8, 2024 2:34 PM

OP sounds suspiciously like the I Hate Emily Blunt Troll, who hates everything. Especially movies.

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2024 2:36 PM

R22 R23 R24

Note how you replied three times to yourself in a row, not saying anything in particular. However, the posts were three and two minute apart. So you posted r22, waited three minutes, posted r23, waited two minutes, and posted r24.

You have looping thoughts. You say something, then reprocess it several times in your head, then have something else to say.

When were you diagnosed with ADHD or autism?

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2024 2:56 PM

I'd say Hollywood studios turning this movie down had more to do with the cast (Powell was nowhere near his current status when this film was pitched to the studios, and his female co-star remains an unknown, at least as far as Hollywood goes) and story, which was not a rehash of an old movie. At this point, Hollywood is only accepting sure things, which means it's pretty much limited to remakes, reboots, sequels and prequels. They aren't looking for anything new or fresh, and certainly not something that requires a marketing budget as large or larger as the production budget.

Movie theatres are dead and will remain so until Gen Z discovers how much fun it is to sit in an auditorium with a bunch of strangers for 2 hours enjoying a communal experience. Only then will the studios license anything new, interesting, and costly.

by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2024 2:59 PM

I'm a huge Linklater fan but can't stand that thirsty Glen Powell.

by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2024 3:02 PM

97% well reviewed? Ok I will watch some more but so far a C+ at best

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2024 3:04 PM

Looking forward to Linklater’s “Merrily We Roll Along” although that probably won’t be out for another ten years.

by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2024 3:20 PM

R25 is indeed the I Hate Emily Blunt Troll.

Did the mental illness come from being unloved or are you unloved due to your mental illness?

by Anonymousreply 30June 8, 2024 4:43 PM

R30 the reason you have fixated on the phrase “I Hate Emily Blunt Troll” is due to the repetition of the long L and T sounds and the hard consonant B. There is no I Hate Emily Blunt Troll on this board, except for the one you have created, simply out of your fixation on those sounds, which repeat constantly in your head due to your autism and adhd. The hard consonant B and T sounds are very common among echolalia sufferers. For example there was a very autistic troll on here many years ago who was obsessed with the movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks. His obsession was likely due to the hard B and K sounds in the title.

You yourself do not particularly care for Emily Blunt based on those sarcastic posts you wrote which were somewhat witty, however you are singularly obsessed with saying I Hate Emily Blunt Troll due to the arrangement of its consonants.

by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2024 4:59 PM

R27: Powell is spending his political capital before he loses it.

by Anonymousreply 32June 10, 2024 10:39 PM

Glen sure enjoys showing off his bushy hairy armpits a lot in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 33June 11, 2024 4:03 PM

I really liked this movie. I watched it on a gigantic Apple TV and didn't notice dark tones. I wasn't familiar with the actor Glen Powell until now-- he is far more likeable than Jason Sudekis or Ryan Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 34June 16, 2024 3:45 PM

I saw it in theaters (have unlimited pass), it did look to be shot on film during only one scene, where Glen was talking with his ex-wife about getting back out there.

by Anonymousreply 35June 16, 2024 3:55 PM

When I see Glen Powell's smirking face I want to punch it.

by Anonymousreply 36June 16, 2024 9:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!