Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

1998 New York Times review of Will & Grace

This sitcom about a gay man and a straight woman who are best friends has been widely praised for its wit and daring, but turns out to be absolutely ordinary. Grace (Debra Messing) is an emotionally flustered interior designer; Will (Eric McCormack) is a level-headed lawyer. These actors are enormously congenial, but are stranded by scripts that assume it's clever to have Will and Grace play 'The $25,000 Pyramid' really well together. And they are surrounded by annoying sidekicks, including Will's gay friend Jack (Sean Hayes), a prancing fool who sings show tunes while playing poker. Jack displays every stereotypical mannerism possible so that Will can avoid them altogether; how daring is that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2024 6:10 PM

She's correct.

It was absolutely ordinary and the exercise of formula upon formula, and that's what it had to be to get mainstream network audiences to accept gay characters at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2024 2:09 AM

It was The Karen Show. The rest was filler.

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2024 2:24 AM

Jack went from a reasonable guy in the pilot to a blithering idiot who believed Santa Claus came to visit.

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2024 3:43 AM

I hated how they tried to make Will way too straight-acting in the first season with his cigar smoking and poker playing with all his straight buds. That was ridiculous.

And what was the point of Gary Grimes’ character? Why was he even there?

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2024 3:47 AM

R4 the show agreed with youn the Gary Grimes character because he was dropped by season 2 and never mentioned again.

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2024 3:48 AM

Even early promos hid that Will was gay out of fear many wouldn’t even watch if they knew beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2024 3:51 AM

The first season was a bit dull from what I remember; it took many other sitcoms a while to hit a groove though, too.

Karen wasn't using the voice yet and Will had a mullet or something and wasn't funny.

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2024 3:58 AM

Who was the Gary Grimes character?

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2024 4:05 AM

Gary Grubbs was oddly annoying

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2024 4:05 AM

r8 it was Gary Grubbs, not Grimes

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2024 4:09 AM

r10 Omg, thank you! I was googling Gary Grimes and didn't find anything, I thought I was going crazy.

This cast pic makes it look like they intended him to be part of the core cast, possibly as a totem for all the straight guys in the audience to identify themselves with, so they could slowly make Will's gayness more "overt". Got this pic off a Gary Grubbs fan page on Facebook where the caption says that Harlin Polk was a fan favourite. In what universe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2024 4:32 AM

Will & Grace was the best written show on television since The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2024 4:51 AM

When it hit, it fucking hit. And it was a good alternative to other aggressively straight sitcoms also airing at the time. There hasn't been anything like it since and I'm sad the reboot didn't do better, but I guess its original success depended a lot on the sociopolitical context of the time.

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2024 4:59 AM

The reboot did very well.

It may be the most successful network reboot OAT.

And would have done better if Deb and Meg could have stashed their cuntiness away.

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2024 5:18 AM

First season was dreadful.

But it's one of the few sitcoms I can watch on repeat. Always makes me laugh. (Yes, it's mostly Karen as to why.)

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2024 5:35 AM

R14 The Connors says Hi.

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2024 5:35 AM

The show was shit. They needed something to air after Seinfeld ended.

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2024 6:28 AM

[quote] It may be the most successful network reboot OAT.

No, that would be Roseanne.

The Will & Grace reboot ratings were in the toilet for the majority of its run.

W&G reboot premiere episode: 10.19

Roseanne reboot episode: 18.44

Roseanne stayed in double digits it’s entire run while W&G was getting a 2 or a 3 during its run.

Next time, check your facts.

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2024 6:32 AM

For me, season 2 was when the show really hit is stride.

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2024 6:43 AM

At least Grace was thin in the first season and didn’t hide behind bags or pillows.

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2024 7:44 AM

An unwatchably stupid and retrograde series. The same observations seem to hold true of its fans.

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2024 11:56 AM

r21 Your suggested better alternative(s) would be?

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2024 12:13 PM

Anything but that fucking minstrel show.

by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2024 12:32 PM

The Matt Damon episode was a classic.

It had plenty of forgettable moments but as others have said, when it hit it hit.

by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2024 12:35 PM

r23 Meh, fail

by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2024 12:37 PM

The NYT AKA The Gray Lady has often missed the mark in its reviews. I agree that the first season was so-so, but the show flourished thereafter. I've always thought of W&G as the battle of the Ids (Jack and Karen) vs. the Egos (Will and Grace).

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2024 12:45 PM

Will and Grace and Jack and Karen show.

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2024 12:51 PM

Will was a character designed to appeal to straight women- he’ll take you dancing and you can sit in the park and check out the cute boys together.

🤮- Even the gay author Andrew Holleran called Will & Grace a repellent sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2024 12:53 PM

R12

Seriously? Best sitcom since 'Mary Tyler Moore'?

You might want to check out 'Frasier.' It will be a revelation.

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2024 2:12 PM

Taxi and Cheers were better than Frasier.

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2024 5:57 PM

R30

And all three of them were better than 'Will and Grace'.

That was more the point.

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2024 6:09 PM

I only watched Will and Grace for Karen. She made that show.

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2024 6:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!