Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"House of the Dragon" returns June 16th for a second season

I just binge-watched the first season again in preparation for the new one, and it's much better than I remembered. The acting is absolutely first rate, especially Emma d"Arcy (as the adult Rhaenyra), Eve Best (as Rhaenys), and Olivia Cooke as the conflicted adult Queen Alicent. The men are excellent too, although Matt Smith is playing the same basic role as the bratty Daemon as he did as the bratty young Prince Philip (only he's sluttier and more murderous in this). Both Steve Toussaint (as the Sea Snake) and Fabien Frankel (as Ser Criston Cole) are very hot and do fine jobs. (We do need more male nudity, however).

The biggest problems for me are the younger actors: Alicent's children and Rhaenyra's children are not played by very good nor attractive young actors. But they will become more and more the stars of the show as it goes on, alongside their mothers. I hope they get replaced by better adult actors as they age.

The season premiere episode is entitled "A Son for a Son," which is bad news for Alicent since her son Aedmond killed Rhaenyra's son Luke at the very end of last season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254July 25, 2024 11:13 PM

WE WANT JON SNOW ! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW ! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW!WE WANT JON SNOW ! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW!WE WANT JON SNOW ! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW!WE WANT JON SNOW ! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW!WE WANT JON SNOW ! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW!WE WANT JON SNOW ! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW!WE WANT JON SNOW ! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW!WE WANT JON SNOW ! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW! WE WANT JON SNOW!

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2024 1:47 AM

You're not getting Jon Snow. He's not even born for another couple of hundred years after this show takes place.

It would be like having Elizabeth II make an appearance on the next season of "Queen Charlotte."

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2024 1:49 AM

I heard that in the final episode all the dragons will be killed and the characters will all laugh and say, dragons suck and are stupid.

THE END

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2024 1:58 AM

Good interview with Matt Smith in "Variety" about the new season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2024 1:59 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2024 3:51 AM

The new season is getting mostly great reviews.

SPOILERS

It looks like the new season will, as predicted by many, begin in the first episode with the "Blood and Cheese" incident, the event that is as horrific in terms of this series as the Red Wedding was for "Game of Thrones."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 7, 2024 4:24 AM

SPOILERS 2

There will apparently be a new credit sequence for this season which is good--I had so much trouble figuring out the one from last season, and yet it seemed too derivative of the "Game of thrones" credit sequence.

The new one will be based on a famous medieval work of art.

by Anonymousreply 7June 7, 2024 6:24 AM

[quote] The new one will be based on a famous medieval work of art.

Yay! I’m so happy.

by Anonymousreply 8June 7, 2024 6:37 AM

I find this show such a waste of time and space. What’s its point? Life with dragons. I didn’t miss GOT especially after that last season. Enough fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 9June 7, 2024 5:51 PM

The new season is getting great reviews: 90% on rottentomatoes (though they've only given critics the first four episodes).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2024 6:33 PM

It's got to be better than the first seasons.

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2024 3:01 AM

There was more than one first season?

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2024 3:02 AM

There were a bunch of them. They were like one to thee episodes each. And shown back to back. It was weird.

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2024 3:09 AM

It was alright. The pacing feels really off though. Beyond child murder being bad the promise Blood and Cheese would be worse than the Red Wedding fell flat because we spent about ten minutes with them.

by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2024 4:37 PM

Book readers were hyping up Blood and Cheese far too much. I've read Fire and Blood and sure it's horrible but it doesn't have the emotional weight of Catelyn and Robb who are characters we have really bonded with.

The main point of this is show that Team Black also drawing blood. Both sides have had a child killed so it ups the stakes and the animosity.

by Anonymousreply 15June 17, 2024 6:54 PM

But I liked the premiere a lot. It felt more deliberate, season 1 was so ham strung by how it had to cover decades of time. This episode really felt like the show could take its time with our main cast.

by Anonymousreply 16June 17, 2024 6:55 PM

They should just leak all the episodes. Like they did with one GoT season

by Anonymousreply 17June 17, 2024 6:59 PM

not torrented yet...must suck.

by Anonymousreply 18June 17, 2024 7:10 PM

Can Rhaenyra’s twink son be gay?

by Anonymousreply 19June 17, 2024 7:13 PM

I watched it but couldn't connect.

I couldn't remember who anyone was.

When it ended, I realized I couldn't recall one thing I saw. Except a baby was killed.

But that tends to be the case for me these days.

by Anonymousreply 20June 17, 2024 7:13 PM

Eve Best has such an interesting face. That's all I got.

by Anonymousreply 21June 17, 2024 8:00 PM

The show doesn’t connect. The plot moves forward by having people I don’t care about make stupid decisions. The dragons are good, but that’s not enough.

by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2024 8:01 PM

A lot of lesbian actresses on this show. Actress that plays young Alicent Hightower is. Then both actresses playing Targaryen sisters are gay. Emma D'arcy is something

by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2024 8:02 PM

I think I found a gay couple. The actor playing Prince Jacaerys (harry Collett) and Cregan Stark (Tom Taylor), met on set for a day of shooting. They had to shoot one more scene a few weeks late. Harry mentioned he was going to spend his break form shooting in Spain. Tom asked if he can join. Just the two of them hungout in Spain by hid private little rental/pool. Harry called it bonding with his co-star. They had like 10 lines together and wont be in any other scenes together this season. They did have loads of chemistry on screen.

I suppose 20 year olds can be spontaneous, but rarely do I see two single men, with no girlfriends in sight on their Instagrams, go off for a private 1-on-1 vacation. You can see that Harry was happy to post Tom all over his social media.

I think they were fucking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2024 8:43 PM

Small correction, they might have had other friends with em, I don't know. But he only showed this blond hunk on his instagram.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2024 8:44 PM

Haven't yearned for the just death of a one-eyed fictional character in a long time. Not since Elle Driver. Maybe Popeye.

I suspect I will just have to wait.

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2024 8:55 PM

You think the idea of guys going on a trip together without girls is unheard of r24? What?

I have no idea if those guys are gay but some of you seem like shut ins that have never heard of people having friends.

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2024 3:23 AM

I think two actors that just met for only 1-2 days going off on a trip together in Spain is a little bit suspect. Neither man has a single woman in sight on their social media pages so....

Yes, two attractive young actors running off to the Spanish riviera after a brief encounter on set does read like a gay romance.

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2024 10:03 AM

Didn't mean to repeat myself.

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2024 10:03 AM

Last night's was a very good episode, even though George RR Martin pretty much stole the Arryk/Errryk storyline from Tennyson and (before that) Sir Thomas Malory. I thought the awful funeral for Jahaerys was done very well--the resonances to Diana's funeral were very much there, with Helaena and her mother forced to parade behind the cortege, like William and Harry, for propaganda reasons, and then becoming greatly disturbed by it. Phia Saban has been excellent this season as Helaena--it's a small part, but she's done quite a lot with it in just two episodes this season. I also very much have liked what Tom Glinn-Carney has been doing with her husband Aegomn this season--Martin wrote the part as pretty much a redux of Joffrey, but Glinn-Carney has worked hard to show that Aegon may be awful but he's not as sociopathic and much more pitiable. Similarly, Olivia Cooke's character Alicent is written as a bloodthirsty bitch like Cersei in the book, and she and the writers have made the character much more interesting by making her so conflicted and unhappy.

My biggest disappointments so far have been that we've had almost no nudity for Fabien Frankel as Ser Cristin Cole, even though he is so gorgeous and we've had lots of sex scenes between him and Alicent, Maybe it makes sense, though, that they're both so repressed that they don't show much skin most of the time when they fuck.

I wish Matt Smith's character weren't so much like Prince Philip in "The Crown." He seems stuck in a rut.

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2024 8:49 PM

How can you people watch so much TV? I'm lucky if I can swueeze one PBS prigram in a week.

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2024 8:52 PM

No one wants these types of shows

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2024 9:03 PM

Agree that this second episode was one of the better of this series, but will miss the hot twins. Fabien Frankel is indeed very cute but he has such flawless skin that sometimes he seems like a cartoon character.

To me the weak link is Aegon. The actor is ugly and overacts (though the role is indeed over the top). The blond wigs aren’t helping anyone other that Ranyra.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2024 10:41 PM

People didn't like Aegon? He and Otto were pretty much the only performances I liked this episode and most of the reviews I've seen keep calling him the highlight of the 4 set up themed opening episodes.

by Anonymousreply 34June 25, 2024 1:40 AM

R34, that doesn’t sound good. I thought Aegon was dire. I don’t care what happens to him, I just want him to shut up. The actress who plays Helaena is outstanding. She’s barely spoken but she’s mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 35June 25, 2024 1:49 AM

The actor playing Aemond needs to eat a cheeseburger or two.

by Anonymousreply 36June 25, 2024 2:46 AM

The funny thing about the actor who plays Aemond is that he is attractive and charismatic in real life, but on the show in his Targaryen wig and make-up he looks like he suffers from acromegaly.

I agree about the Helaena actress, Phia Saban, r35. I hope they give her more to do this season.

by Anonymousreply 37June 25, 2024 12:46 PM

Amateurs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 25, 2024 1:31 PM

How can you tell they're wigs? i thought wigs fooled everyone into thinking they were real hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 25, 2024 3:53 PM

Yes r36. Aemond is supposed to be a great warrior but seeming him naked and he is just skin and bones with no muscle ruins the fantasy a little.

And Helaena doesn't have a ton to do in the source material so I wouldn't get too excited.

But I am enjoying the increased Aegon screen time, I found the actors performance entertaining for what the character is supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 40June 25, 2024 8:52 PM

[quote] And Helaena doesn't have a ton to do in the source material so I wouldn't get too excited.

I don't think you can put too much stock into the source material, since the writers have really experimented with fleshing it out in different and unexpected ways. I just re-read all the chapters about the Dance of the Dragons in FIRE& BLOOD: Rhaenys's part was far bigger last season than it was in the relevant sections of the book, as was Viserys's. And they've already announced Baela and Rhaena will be given much more to do this season than in the relevant chapters of the novel. And Helaena's prophetic abilities were not even in the original book either.

by Anonymousreply 41June 25, 2024 9:43 PM

One thing I never understand is why half the dragons have cool Valyrian names like Vhagar and Caraxes, and then the other half sound like they were named by New Age lesbians: Moondancer, Dreamfyre, Sunfyre, etc.

by Anonymousreply 42June 26, 2024 12:08 AM

I'm coming to the conclusion this shows writing is a bit shit.

by Anonymousreply 43July 1, 2024 2:23 AM

Episode 3 was not on par with the first two episodes. Very slow.

by Anonymousreply 44July 1, 2024 2:33 AM

Criston Cole changed his hair!!

by Anonymousreply 45July 1, 2024 2:36 AM

I really wish they'd not hinged Aegons entire claim in this show on Alicent being a retard and mixing up which Aegon a dying man she hated was hallucinating about. Its the medieval era and he has a dick thats more than enough already.

by Anonymousreply 46July 1, 2024 2:44 AM

r31 no one is that busy that they can't muster in more than an hour of TV a week. Rich folks used to go to the theater weekly to get their fix of live storytelling. You are the outlier but it's probably because your dull ass wastes your weekly hour of TV on PBS.

by Anonymousreply 47July 1, 2024 3:06 AM

The last series I enjoyed on HBO was True Detective Night Country. Nothing of interest to me lately.

by Anonymousreply 48July 1, 2024 3:21 AM

Am I the only that thinks Aemond is the eventual White Walker King?

by Anonymousreply 49July 1, 2024 3:22 AM

Interesting theory R49

by Anonymousreply 50July 1, 2024 3:50 AM

R46, all of the nobles had sworn an oath to Viserys to support his choice of heir. They couldn’t just back out, they needed an excuse. A similar series of events happened in the “real life” version of the story.

by Anonymousreply 51July 1, 2024 11:58 AM

By similar events I presume you mean Stephen bribing Henry I's chamberlain to say he'd changed his mind about who should be his heir on his deathbed rather than there being a secret prophesy passed through the royal family that William the Conqueror only invaded to stop the Scots climbing over Hadrian's wall making everyone confused? If the show had gone that rout I wouldn't mind. Its competent dynastic politics. Instead as a way to not make Alicent not as bad person they invented a bizarre tie in to GoT as the reason. That scene last night with Rhaenya sneaking around as a nun and Alicents "Oh I done fucked up" face when she realised the error needed a laugh track.

by Anonymousreply 52July 1, 2024 12:31 PM

Yes! It's completely ridiculous that Rhaenyra thought it would be a great idea to sneak into King's Landing with a single bodyguard and count on uber cunt Alicent not calling her out.

by Anonymousreply 53July 1, 2024 1:41 PM

I find the DL comments about the show more entertaining than the show itself.

by Anonymousreply 54July 1, 2024 1:59 PM

I think this show is a total disappointment. I hate it. There's no one in it I like. By now with Game of Thrones we had really great characters. This show is shit.

by Anonymousreply 55July 1, 2024 2:28 PM

This is what happens when you push too hard on a guy like George RR Martin for content. Fucking Dragons.

by Anonymousreply 56July 1, 2024 6:33 PM

'What say you, my king?"

The stilted pseudo-Shakespearean dialogue is awful. No actor can deliver it and be credible.

by Anonymousreply 57July 2, 2024 2:11 AM

I’m enjoying this show a lot. I agree with R55 about no one being especially likable, but I’m also not sure I need to like anyone to enjoy the show. I think the actress playing Queen R has had some really fantastic scenes, so perhaps I like her.

by Anonymousreply 58July 2, 2024 2:27 AM

Why do characters need to be likable? I always find that a childish complaint. I need characters to be interesting and entertaining to watch.

Aegon is an awful human being, but I think all of his scenes are entertaining.

But I am surprised by the negative comments, or maybe not for this board, I think Season 2 has been a noticeable improvement over Season 1 so far.

by Anonymousreply 59July 2, 2024 3:24 PM

I don't think characters have to be likable. But they they do have to be interesting. The original series was full of detestable characters whose scenes I looked forward to. But I think HotD is really struggling to develop these characters. Which is bad because half of them are about to be culled in a fratricidal civil war that will take up the bulk of the next season and a half from the start of next episode, and I couldn't care less.

by Anonymousreply 60July 2, 2024 11:04 PM

I get confused because Rhaenyra’s oldest sons look like they should be Alicent’s, and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 61July 2, 2024 11:37 PM

The show lacks humor. Tyrion was very funny in the early seasons of GoT. Lady Tyrell could be pretty funny too.

by Anonymousreply 62July 2, 2024 11:58 PM

r61 To be fair the Targaryen's are meant to be inbred to an almost Egyptian royalty level so that's pretty normal.

by Anonymousreply 63July 3, 2024 12:41 AM

This was the weakest episode this season.

I thought the scene with Alicent and Rhaenyra (which is not in the original book) was both ridiculously contrived and uninteresting. The only thing it achieved was that Rhaenyra now knows the mistaken assumption that caused Alicent to think Visaerys wanted Aegon on the throne. But that's not really that important in terms of anything.

It was also hard to care much about whichever daughter of Daemon and Laena didn't want to go to Essos with Rhaenyra's surviving children, since we had seen so little of her before and we never got to know anything about her personality previously.

by Anonymousreply 64July 3, 2024 1:00 AM

I love this show, much to my surprise after seasons 7 & 8 of Game of Thrones. Even the DEI casting doesn't bother me. The only thing I do dislike from both seasons are their respective opening credit sequences, both the retained GoT musical theme and the animation. on the plus side, the casting is so great, the art design, the weight and sense of inescapable fate that pervades it all. Although not a lot of juicy fun to be had

by Anonymousreply 65July 3, 2024 1:14 AM

This episode had plenty of juicy fun with a three-way dragon dogfight over the Battle for Rook's Rest! It looks like Aemond was doing everything he could to take his brother Aegon out in the dogfight, as well as Rhaenys. She's now gone, but Aegon's fate is unclear.

by Anonymousreply 66July 8, 2024 2:43 AM

The writers of this show genuinely hate Aegon its amazing. I can't think of a single scene in a season and a half where he's not shown either to be callus, reckless, incompetent or stupid. He may be the most pathetic character ever at this point.

by Anonymousreply 67July 8, 2024 3:24 AM

Well, fuck. Rhaenys was my favorite character.

by Anonymousreply 68July 8, 2024 3:49 AM

Second half of the episode tonight was riveting

by Anonymousreply 69July 8, 2024 3:52 AM

Did you even watch the episode r66?

There were only two dragons in the sky at any one point. Rhaenys was torching the attacking soldiers. Aegon flew in….but Aemond saw Aegon, and settled into to wait on the ground. Rhaenys made short work of Aegon, who was no warrior. Aegon crashed to the ground. THEN Aemond flew to challenge Rhaenys, and won.

🫡 Rhaenys, brave dragon warrior. She should have been queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 8, 2024 4:02 AM

R70, I was sure that I saw Aemond, on his dragon, confront Aegon and order his dragon to shoot fire at his hapless brother. The dragon and king then fell to the ground and exploded, like a car in an old movie.

by Anonymousreply 71July 8, 2024 4:11 AM

Aemond ordered his dragon to shoot dragonfire at his brother Aegon first, NOT at Rhaenys.

And then when Ser Criston came upon Aemond standing over his brother at the very end, Aemond had drawn his sword as if he were about to kill Aegon... but then he thought better of it.

by Anonymousreply 72July 8, 2024 4:15 AM

Watch again. When Aemond shows up and does his Dracarys he is doing it at both Aegon and Rhaenys. So he has a little bit of an excuse there, even though its clear his real intention is to take his brother out, but there is enough to give himself cover.

They did a great job with this episode. Really pulled off three dragons that all looked and behaved different and it "felt real". When the dragons were ripping each other apart and felt brutal and heart breaking.

by Anonymousreply 73July 8, 2024 4:16 AM

r70/r73, this interview tonight with Ewan Mitchell, who plays Aemond, makes it VERY clear both he and the showrunner/writer intended Aemond's actions towards Aegon to be purposefully ambiguous and to imply that Aemond might be planning to do away with his brother:

______

After Aegon (Tom Glynn-Carney) unexpectedly showed up at the battle atop Sunfyre, and began sparring with Rhaenys (Eve Best) and Meleys, Aemond swooped in to save the day with Vhagar. [bold]Instead of just taking down Rhaenys, Vhagar also attacked Sunfyre, leading Aegon and his dragon to plummet from the sky. [/bold]While Aegon was caught in the crossfire as Aemond tried to take out Rhaenys, one could argue that Aegon’s look of terror prior to Vhagar’s blow implied that Aemond’s attack on Aegon was intentional.

[bold]“That’s one of the compelling arguments that it raises in what Aemond does, whether or not he always intentionally was going to hurt Aegon somewhere down the line, or whether or not Aegon, in that moment, was just collateral damage, because he was entangled with Rhaenys,” Mitchell told TheWrap. “Was the target just Rhaenys, or was it Rhaenys and Aegon?”[/bold]

Given the already fractured history between the brothers — which came to a head when Aemond put Aegon in his place in front of the small council earlier in Episode 4 — Mitchell said the Rook’s Rest sequence reflected the “two characters trajectories finally [coming] into an accumulation in the skies.”

After the battle, Criston Cole found Aemond — with his sword drawn — close by Aegon’s still body and wounded dragon. [bold]With Aegon’s fate left unclear by the end of Episode 4, Mitchell said he prefers Aemond’s actions to be left “ambiguous,” though it’s clear the brothers’ relationship has been permanently altered. [/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 8, 2024 4:20 AM

Another interview published tonight with Ewan "Aemond" Mitchell, where he makes even more clear that his character tried to kill his brother Aegon:

------

But it's more than just victory that Aemond sees within his grasp in this moment. He also sees revenge. Aemond and Criston have secretly planned for Aemond to lie in wait with Vhagar under the cover of the forest to defend the attack on Rook's Rest if needed. It proves to be a wise move when Rhaenys and Meleys descend from the heavens to torch the army. But what none of them expected was that a drunken Aegon would also show up with his dragon, Sunfyre, in a childishly misguided attempt to prove he's in control after his mother, Alicent (Olivia Cooke), admonished him as more puppet than king. It should be two brothers against a common enemy, but Aemond hasn't forgotten the events of last week's episode, when a drunken Aegon (notice a pattern?) humiliated him when he found Aemond in Sylvi's bed.

"Aegon and his crew very much violated Aemond's safe space, and they catch him in the most vulnerable state we will probably ever see Aemond: belly up," Mitchell said. "They humiliate him. In a moment, his code comes into play and that facade comes up. It is the image of someone who does not care what you think of him and sees himself as bulletproof."

He proves as much over Rook's Rest when he directs Vhagar's fiery dragon breath at Rhaenys and Aegon, unbothered by the likelihood he could kill his brother.

"In the Battle of Rook's Rest, you do have to wonder if Aemond always planned to get back at Aegon, or whether or not Aegon was just in the way and he was collateral damage," Mitchell said. "I think that Aemond views the world through a very black-and-white filter. You are either with him or against him, and if you get in the way, that's on you."

The not-so-friendly fire aimed at Aegon and Sunfyre, along with damage done by Meleys, sends the pair plummeting to the ground, and the episode ends without confirming whether either survives. Vhagar, meanwhile, kills Meleys in midair, and Rhaenys is crushed to death when her beloved dragon's body falls into the castle below. It is yet another devastating blow to the cause of Rhaenyra Targaryen (Emma D'Arcy), again delivered by Aemond and Vhagar — making them two for two in dragon battles for the series.

"The first time Aemond uses Vhagar in Episode 10 of Season 1, he lets his emotions get the better of him, and it was ultimately an accident when he kills Luke," Mitchell said. "But he witnessed firsthand what these dragons are capable of. That is in contrast to Aegon, who, in the skies over Rook's Rest, didn't completely understand what he was getting himself into. But Aemond does now, [bold]and it was purely intentional, what he did this time."[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 8, 2024 4:27 AM

Oops--sorry--here's the other interview with Ewan Mitchell i was quoting at r75 (I had the wrong link):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 8, 2024 4:28 AM

What insulting a mans relationship with an old hooker will get you. Though granted that pig prank in s1 is probably the main reason this war is even happening right now. In short don't bully your psychotic Japanese anime protagonist younger brother I guess.

by Anonymousreply 77July 8, 2024 4:30 AM

Ryan Condal, the writer of tonight's episode and the showrunner, on Aemond's scorching tonight of his brother Aegon:

Team Green’s plan to take Rook’s Rest involved the element of surprise from Aemond and Vhagar, which was subsequently shaken up when Aegon unexpectedly flew in atop Sunfyre and began attacking Rhaenys and Meleys. With Sunfyre and Meleys sparring each other in the sky, Aemond and Vhagar swooped in just in time to take out Rhaenys, though Aegon also got caught in the crossfire when Vhagar expelled fire on Sunfyre.

While Aemond’s attack was successful in wounding Meleys — Vhagar finished the job later by killing both Meleys and Rhaenys — Aegon’s look of terror implied the possibility that Vhagar’s blow to Sunfyre might have been intentional.

“I can see how it can be ambiguous, but I think in the dramatization of it, it’s pretty clear Aegon is collateral damage in the action,” Condal said. “Certainly Vhagar is looking to take out Rhaenys, but it doesn’t look like [Aemond] does it with much care for his brother.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 8, 2024 4:35 AM

[quote] Did you even watch the episode r66?

Yes I did: and so did the television critic for the NYTimes, who saw the same things I saw but that you for some reason did not:

[quote] Indeed, the episode’s most shocking moment comes when Aemond, who delayed his own assault when his detested brother Aegon crashed the battle uninvited so as not to appear weak, turns Vhagar against not only their enemy Rhaenys, but Aegon too. Only the timely intervention of Ser Criston prevents Aemond from striding across the broken body of Sunfyre and putting his fallen, burned brother out of his misery at the battle’s end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 8, 2024 5:14 AM

[quote] But what none of them expected was that a drunken Aegon would also show up with his dragon, Sunfyre, in a childishly misguided attempt to prove he's in control

He had egg on his face after that battle.

by Anonymousreply 80July 8, 2024 6:18 AM

In the next episode, Aemond will become involved in some hilarious hijinks with a fat, but mute, knight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 8, 2024 6:22 AM

The hope of an eventual and just death for Aemond is all I need to sustain me.

by Anonymousreply 82July 8, 2024 6:24 AM

r82 Aegon's first thoughts when he wakes up

by Anonymousreply 83July 8, 2024 6:34 AM

Aemond is an interesting character. His actions are actually pretty believable.

by Anonymousreply 84July 8, 2024 12:29 PM

Team intentional regicide/fratricide.

by Anonymousreply 85July 8, 2024 1:07 PM

Intentional regicide/fratricide

by Anonymousreply 86July 8, 2024 1:31 PM

The names are too similar and the relationships too convoluted for me to keep track without a chart.

by Anonymousreply 87July 8, 2024 1:54 PM

There really is no room for purposeful amiguity on the internet is there? I think we're not supposed to know. It is supposed to be vague, at least at this point. Maybe Aemond will strut up to his crispy brother's beside next episode and whisper in his ear, "Tell Cersei it was me" but I hope not - I prefer the murky intentions. I like to think it's all mixed up in Aemond's head too

by Anonymousreply 88July 8, 2024 2:03 PM

amBiguity, scuse me

by Anonymousreply 89July 8, 2024 2:12 PM

This is the second time Aemond has used his dragon to attack a relative. His dragon seems to know what he wants to do.

by Anonymousreply 90July 8, 2024 2:14 PM

What is ambiguous about standing over Aegon with a drawn sword? Is there no way to engage in dragon battle without sending your brother the King hurtling to earth? Besides, the Small Council scene already established him as a usurper.

by Anonymousreply 91July 8, 2024 2:15 PM

[quote] Maybe Aemond will strut up to his crispy brother's beside next episode and whisper in his ear, "Tell Cersei it was me"

Tell Cersei what?

by Anonymousreply 92July 8, 2024 2:18 PM

“It was me.”

Are you blind?

by Anonymousreply 93July 8, 2024 2:22 PM

As a non reader of the books (I tried and found it unreadable), this episode was shocking for me. I figured Rhaeynes would die when she set out to battle, but saw nothing else coming that happened.

by Anonymousreply 94July 8, 2024 2:49 PM

Unrelated to dragons, but I do want to shout out Freddie Fox as Gwayne Hightower who has been a great addition, perfect amount of pompous sass. The character so clearly reads as gay to me, I kinda want the writers to embrace it and make him gay.

by Anonymousreply 95July 8, 2024 4:13 PM

[quote] The character so clearly reads as gay to me, I kinda want the writers to embrace it and make him gay.

More like Gayne Hightower amirite?!

by Anonymousreply 96July 8, 2024 4:14 PM

Nepotism Hall of Fame.

He is the son of actress Joanna David (née Joanna Elizabeth Hacking) and actor Edward Fox. He is the younger brother of actress Emilia Fox and the half-brother of Lucy Arabella Preston (the Viscountess Gormanston), the grandson of actress Angela Worthington Fox and theatrical agent Robin Fox, and the great-grandson of the playwright Frederick Lonsdale. He is the nephew of producer Robert Fox and actor James Fox, and a cousin to actors Laurence, Jack and Lydia Fox. He was named after Fred Zinnemann, who directed his father in The Day of the Jackal, and after his great-great-grandfather Victorian industrialist Samson Fox, who invented the corrugated boiler flue and built Harrogate's former Kursaal now known as the Royal Hall. Asked if he believes in his acting gene, he said, "I used not to until my sister Milly was on the BBC's Who Do You Think You Are?" where they discovered the thespian thread goes back 100 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 8, 2024 4:18 PM

Freddie Fox is really attractive.

by Anonymousreply 98July 8, 2024 8:08 PM

Is Freddie Fox a ginger or blond?

by Anonymousreply 99July 8, 2024 8:14 PM

R70 slow clap

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 8, 2024 8:15 PM

[quote]The writers of this show genuinely hate Aegon its amazing. I can't think of a single scene in a season and a half where he's not shown either to be callus, reckless, incompetent or stupid. He may be the most pathetic character ever at this point.

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 101July 8, 2024 8:29 PM

Aegon is not as one dimensional as Joffrey was. The scene of him sobbing over his dead son was heartbreaking. The scene of him smiling and cuddling his dragon was cute.

by Anonymousreply 102July 8, 2024 8:44 PM

[quote]The names are too similar

The names are too silly. It wouldn't be so bad if they tried to medieval it up only occasionally but every character has some tricked-up moniker.

by Anonymousreply 103July 8, 2024 9:34 PM

House Targaryen is a foreign dynasty. Their names are supposed to sound weird and foreign and not like "normal" English medieval names.

by Anonymousreply 104July 8, 2024 10:03 PM

Please say Aemond meets a nasty end. Criston Cole, too. They're both cunts and this show/GoT rewards cunts for too long.

by Anonymousreply 105July 8, 2024 10:11 PM

I thought this episode was exceptional. It had everything.

by Anonymousreply 106July 8, 2024 10:17 PM

This has definitely been House of Dragon's "break through" episode, internet chatter has really exploded r106 with people coming around to the show.

by Anonymousreply 107July 8, 2024 10:24 PM

[quote] I thought this episode was exceptional. It had everything.

Everything but the bloodhounds snappin’ at her rear end.

by Anonymousreply 108July 8, 2024 10:39 PM

[quote] Please say Aemond meets a nasty end. Criston Cole, too. They're both cunts and this show/GoT rewards cunts for too long.

Keep watching. A LOT MORE people die in this than GoT.

by Anonymousreply 109July 8, 2024 10:41 PM

I don't understand the criticism. You're into series 2 and you're still moaning about their names like you expect them all to suddenly be called John, James or Deborah. If you've watched like ten hours of this story and you can't get your head around it, that sounds like a you problem.

by Anonymousreply 110July 8, 2024 10:58 PM

It’s definitely a me problem.

by Anonymousreply 111July 8, 2024 10:59 PM

Rhaenyra, Rhaena, Rhaenys/Daemon,Aegon, Aemond—who could be confused?

by Anonymousreply 112July 8, 2024 11:06 PM

[quote] Please say Aemond meets a nasty end. Criston Cole, too. They're both cunts and this show/GoT rewards cunts for too long.

This show will only run four seasons if things go as planned, and GoT ran eight. So things will sort themselves out eventually. George RR Martin likes to kill off likeable characters sometimes, like Ned, Caitlyn, and Robb Stark, Queen Margaery and King Tommen on GoT; but remember too that on GoT every one of the nastiest assholes got what was coming to them eventually: King Joffrey, Queen Cersei, Tywin Lannister, Littlefinger, Lysa Arryn, Ramsey and Roose Bolton, Walder Frey. So you can expect lots of nasty charcters to be killed off eventually if they follow Martin's schema from his books. Unfortunately, you can expect many more likeable characters to die too (such as last night when who was for most people the single most likeable character so far, Rhaenys, was killed).

by Anonymousreply 113July 8, 2024 11:19 PM

I'm taken by Daemon's visions these last two episodes--those are not in the original book, but they're very haunting, and make the character more interesting. I like how he thought he saw Aemond with the eye-patch in one of the visions, and was about to strike when the vision turned around and we saw it was Daemon himself with Aemond's eye-patch. the two characters are in fact very much alike--they both are arrogant second sons who think they could do a better job ruling than the family member they're sworn allegiance to; they're both vicious killers; and they're both responsible for the death of a very young person recently.

Since Daemon's had visions of two of his wives so far, I hope he soon gets a vision of his first wife whom he secretly murdered, "The Bronze Bitch."

by Anonymousreply 114July 9, 2024 1:00 AM

Vhagar is a vicious old beast r90.

Remember is it has been peaceful, dagons have only been used for flying around. Almost none of these dragons have ever been in a battle.

Vhagar is the big exception, she is 180 years old and helped conquer Westeros. She is used to to being vicious and killing people. Liked how last season's finale they had to be Vhagar that choose to kill Luke without being commanded.

All these dragons do have their own histories and personalities as well.

by Anonymousreply 115July 9, 2024 1:39 AM

Rhaenys and Daemon’s dragons, and their riders, have been in battle extensively r115

Dragon versus dragon combat for is the exception

by Anonymousreply 116July 9, 2024 2:09 AM

I'm more frightened of the Wyte Worm more than anyone. Rhanerya is better for her allegiance. As everything knowledge is power.

by Anonymousreply 117July 9, 2024 2:11 AM

Daemon and Caraxes of course r116, just watching the show you see his battle in the Stepstones.

Rhaenys though based on the books we have no knowledge of when she would have ever been in combat before Rooks Rest.

by Anonymousreply 118July 9, 2024 3:03 AM

[quote]Rhaenys though based on the books we have no knowledge of when she would have ever been in combat before Rooks Rest.

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense to me either. I thought they said Jaehaerys's (her grandfather's) reign was one of peace, and there hadn;t seemed to have been any wars under her cousin Viserys until the War in the Stepstones--and Rhaenys did not take part in that.

by Anonymousreply 119July 9, 2024 3:48 AM

R119, Raenyra specifically mentioned they are in an 80 year period of peace. The only living things that have known battle are the oldest dragons.

by Anonymousreply 120July 9, 2024 2:11 PM

I wonder if they'll differ from the books much. I've never read them, but I've read a summary and so far events seem to be roughly in line with the books.

by Anonymousreply 121July 9, 2024 2:20 PM

The broad-brush strokes like who lives and dies will probably be the same but they've changed a few things. Also Joffrey mentions Rhaenyras ultimate fate in GoT, and they seem REALLY set on tying this show to GoT so that's definitely not changing.

by Anonymousreply 122July 9, 2024 4:08 PM

Some changes so far have been that in the books:

*Viserys does not have the disgusting wasting disease he has in the series

*There is no indication Daemon murdered his first wife

*Alicent and Rhaenyra were not close childhood friends, and Alicent is significantly older than Rhaenyra

*Alicent is a scheming bitch who is more like Cersei, and has people killed when she's queen if she's angry enough

*There is no mention that the Velaryon family are black--in the Martin books, all the black characters hail from a place called the Summer Isles

*There is no mention that Laenor's death is a fake and that he really survived

*There is no mention that Helaena has prophetic visions

*Aegon and Helaena have a second male baby, Maelor

*The whole Blood and Cheese incident is different. They force Helaena into playing "Sophie's Choice," and ask her at knife-point which of her two boys she wants to have killed. She chooses Maelor since he's second in line to the throne rather than the heir, but then Blood and Cheese kill the elder son in front of her just to be cruel and explicitly tell the very young Maelor his mother wanted him dead. Helaena is so unnerved by this she cannot bear to have the younger son in her presence ever again.

*There is no mention that at the Battle of Rook's Rest Aemond purposefully tried to torch Aegon

*There is no mention Daemon has strange hauntings at Harrenhal

by Anonymousreply 123July 9, 2024 4:36 PM

Thanks for the info, R123. Interesting that Alicent is so different, considering Cersei was so much of a love-to-hate character. I'm thinking it may be HBO's way of responding to the admittedly merited complaints about GoT's rampant sexism and overly exploitative nudity & sex scenes. (It's not a coincidence that we've seen plenty of cock on HOTD and little or no vagine.) I know women marry relatively young in Westeros, but Olivia Cooke is still WAY too fucking young to be a grandmother! (The actor who plays Aegon is only a year younger than her.)

And yes, I'm sure they decided to add Black Velaryons solely because GoT was so overwhelmingly white. (They'd also need to be at the center of the show's action, not way off in the Summer Isles.)

Finally, as noted upthread, it's apparently not clear even among the *writers* – and the actors! – whether Aemond intentionally tried to torch his brother. Per the showrunner on the after-show following the credits, it's intended to be unclear. (Possibly because Aemond is destined to become this show's Daenerys and can't go fully off the reservation until late in the final season.)

by Anonymousreply 124July 9, 2024 7:41 PM

Thanks also to R123!

I wonder if Alicent isn't a mega bitch because then people would say she's a clone of Cersei, but also because Aemond and Cristen Cole are mega cunts and -- while the GoT universe is known for mega cunts -- it becomes exhausting if every character is equally as unlikeable. Alicent isn't nice, but she's more complex than Aemond/Cristen.

I have no issue with Black Velaryons, given Martin is involved in the show and they're his books. It would seem weird to not cast great black actors in a fictional universe. There's no "but black people weren't even in England!" type arguments, given Westeros obviously isn't a real place.

I like shows that often interpretation, whereas I needed no time to decide that the Greens are 'worse' than the Blacks (admittedly not by much) and that Aemond definitely intended to kill his brother. The latter seems pretty obvious considering it was preceded by his humiliation in the brothel, his obvious attempt to usurp his brother by planning without consulting him, the fact he's said he'd have made a far better King than Aegon and the fact that -- not to sound repetitive -- he's a mega cunt who's shown to have no morals but just a desire for power. Maybe I've been too hasty to judge him, though? Heh.

by Anonymousreply 125July 9, 2024 7:51 PM

R125, Aemond was not very distraught at seeing his brother and mangled dragon on the ground. The show also took care to show that Aemond was a shrewd strategist, so he’d be just the person to think of getting rid of his brother while blaming it on Rhaenys. Of course, the writers also took a few minutes showing Aegon wearing Aegon the Conqueror’s armor, which might be relevant in the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 126July 9, 2024 8:21 PM

R126 All good points. And he had his sword directed towards Aemond at the end of the recent episode which appeared to show him about to finish the job.

To me, it's as subtle as a sledgehammer so all the "ambiguous" comments confuse me.

by Anonymousreply 127July 9, 2024 8:28 PM

Apologies, I meant "towards Aegon"!

by Anonymousreply 128July 9, 2024 8:29 PM

Making the Velaryrons black was honestly smart. People already had an impossible time keeping track of the characters, can you imagine if they went book accurate and the Velaryrons looked just like the Targaryens?! Normal viewers would be so lost.

by Anonymousreply 129July 9, 2024 8:29 PM

[quote]Of course, the writers also took a few minutes showing Aegon wearing Aegon the Conqueror’s armor, which might be relevant in the next episode.

Unless it contained a fuckload of airbags, the armor probably only made his fall from hundreds of feet in the air even *worse*. If they do any sort of "dragon breaking his fall" bullshit, they'd BETTER have him suffering from second- and third-degree burns (from the dragon fire) and doomed to die at some point in the near future. (Even today people severely burned nearly always die within 12 hours. Your body can't function absent skin that hasn't been literally scorched to death.)

by Anonymousreply 130July 9, 2024 8:35 PM

R130 Aren't Targaryens unable to be burned?

by Anonymousreply 131July 9, 2024 8:37 PM

Aren’t Targaryen immune to fire?

Dani killed the Khals by immolation and she walked out there alive her pussy proud and unburnt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 9, 2024 8:39 PM

R131, very good point. I stand corrected.

by Anonymousreply 133July 9, 2024 8:43 PM

Targaryens aren't immune to fire. In the books, that was a one time magical event with the birth of Dany's dragons. In the show they decide Dany was special and immune to figure, which fine. But doesn't mean the rest of them are.

by Anonymousreply 134July 9, 2024 8:45 PM

R134 It seemed in this episode none of the Targaryens riding the dragons were hurt by any of the dragon fire which was why they relied on the dragons fighting each other physically?

Though also in S1 when Eve Best turns up with her dragon in front of the whole Royal Family and could have eliminated them all, they all looked like they knew they were about to burn to death. So I've confused myself now.

by Anonymousreply 135July 9, 2024 8:55 PM

Laena, daughter of Rhaenys, died in season 1 by having Vhagar burn her with fire.

by Anonymousreply 136July 9, 2024 9:10 PM

Good epised, i was becoming bored by all the dreams/visons segment, but it sure picked up.

Like r94, I haven’t read the books but i was expecting Rhaenys to die, especially when there were two dragons against her.. Eve Best is a great actress but i still think they didn’t give her enough to do in the series. They did give her a good, cinematic death.

Re Allicent, she gave some Cersei vibes in her talk with Aegon, but i agree they probably toned down the cuntiness so not to make her Cerseei version 2 (that would be a lost battle).

by Anonymousreply 137July 9, 2024 9:16 PM

R137 I thought Alicent's scene with Aegon was among the best she's done so far. It really conveyed the frustration of her character but also how useless Aegon is. Her "Or what?" was brilliantly played.

I like what they're doing with Alicent. She's not a "baddie". She's far more layered than that. And Olivia Cooke is doing really well with it.

by Anonymousreply 138July 9, 2024 9:25 PM

Yeah Alicent in the Fire and Blood is a pretty flat one dimensional character. The show had to made her into a three dimensional person to work. I'm glad they did, and I'm glad they added her and Rhaenyra as best friends growing up.

I don't like adding in she went along with Aegon's crowning because she misheard with the prophecy, that was too much of a softening. That should have been a decision she consciously decided to make to help her family with no excuses.

by Anonymousreply 139July 9, 2024 9:29 PM

R138 Very true, though I thought her little talk with Rhaenyra showed she did know Viserys didn't want her son to be King, but she doesn't care.

I also though the dream sequences were boring. They seemed to be invented to give Emma D'Arcy a few scenes.

by Anonymousreply 140July 9, 2024 9:30 PM

Olivia Cooke is beautiful and has been great this season. Also casting Tom Glynn-Carney as her kid was great. The big round eyes work perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 141July 9, 2024 9:31 PM

Her mishearing the prophecy makes the whole war a tragic mistake. I like that. It allowed her to say “even if I was wrong, it’s too late now.” I like that, too. Adds some spice to what would otherwise be just another power struggle.

by Anonymousreply 142July 9, 2024 9:40 PM

Susan “Stop the Insanity” Powter should sue whoever is in the OP’s photo.

by Anonymousreply 143July 9, 2024 9:42 PM

I hope Harry turned around at some point, curled those pouty lips and took a good whiff of Hero's pits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 9, 2024 9:57 PM

R134, that may have been a bit of narrative retrofitting. Dany knew early on that she was immune to fire and therefore that she, not her horrid brother, was the true heir to the throne. So there was a suggestion that fire-immunity might be a trait of the Targaryen super-elite. But now it seems clear that no one else in the family has that ability.

by Anonymousreply 145July 9, 2024 10:10 PM

R145 but all the dragon riders in the latest episode seemed untouched by the huge amount of fire going on in the battles. We see them fly through fire unharmed, with not even a singe on their lovely hair.

by Anonymousreply 146July 9, 2024 10:27 PM

You say that but I am pretty sure Aegon got burned by Vhagar, we will see the after math next episode but I didn't see any indication the show was trying to say he was immune.

We have had a season and a half of a show about Targaryens and there has been zero indication of magical fire proofness, just the opposite we have had a dragon rider already die by fire.

by Anonymousreply 147July 9, 2024 10:50 PM

Yes, when he sees that Vhagar is going to attack with flames, Aegon clearly covers his eyes and face.

Freddie Fox can’t play a straight character, god bless him. Even if he’s straight in real life.

by Anonymousreply 148July 9, 2024 10:57 PM

Yeah I think Martin fucked up a bit making Dany immune to fire, because then the logical assumption is that all Targaryens are, when we know that's not the case.

And you can't even say it's because she was noble, because look how she ended up.

by Anonymousreply 149July 9, 2024 11:13 PM

[quote] [R134] It seemed in this episode none of the Targaryens riding the dragons were hurt by any of the dragon fire which was why they relied on the dragons fighting each other physically?

[quote] Though also in S1 when Eve Best turns up with her dragon in front of the whole Royal Family and could have eliminated them all, they all looked like they knew they were about to burn to death. So I've confused myself now.

Ryan Condal and several on-line commentators agree that although Targaryens are immune to regular types of fire, they are not immune to dragonfire (which seems to be at least partially magical in origin).

Similarly, Valyrian steel (which is what the armor Aegon wore to battle) cannot be melted by regular human-made fire, but CAN be melted by dragon-fire.

by Anonymousreply 150July 9, 2024 11:14 PM

I also think making the Velaryons black was a very believable way to integrate the show more than GoT. It has allowed for some fine black actors like Steve Toussaint to have big roles on the show, and it's much more believable to have a family originally not from Westeros to be black.

by Anonymousreply 151July 9, 2024 11:17 PM

Westewoos.

by Anonymousreply 152July 9, 2024 11:20 PM

Martin did not make Dany immune to fire r149. That was a show invention from David and Dan on Game of Thrones.

I was curious to see how this show would handle it, but they haven't given any indication they are following David and Dan down that route.

by Anonymousreply 153July 9, 2024 11:23 PM

I've never seen Ryan Condal talk about this in an interview, if such a thing exists please link r150.

by Anonymousreply 154July 9, 2024 11:24 PM

Idk if I am remembering it right, but didn’t Jon Snow have some moment of being immune to fire?

by Anonymousreply 155July 9, 2024 11:25 PM

No r155, actually in Season 1 episode 8 Jon Snow (or Aegon Targaryen using his "true name"), burns his hand.

by Anonymousreply 156July 9, 2024 11:55 PM

Fuck it I'm TeamAegon the man has male preference primogeniture on his side and owns a dildo collection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 9, 2024 11:59 PM

AegonTeam

by Anonymousreply 158July 10, 2024 12:10 AM

[quote] I also think making the Velaryons black was a very believable way to integrate the show more than GoT. It has allowed for some fine black actors like Steve Toussaint to have big roles on the show, and it's much more believable to have a family originally not from Westeros to be black.

I agree. And Steve Toussaint is one handsome man, too.

by Anonymousreply 159July 10, 2024 12:47 AM

There are elements of this show that are much better than Game of Thrones, in my opinion; I always thought the white walkers stuff was nonsense and was much more interested in the palace intrigue and King's Landing, for example. But it suffers from a really weird and serious problem that Game of Thrones had after about season 4: the characters seem to lack any kind of inner life. The show's about these flat characters hitting particular plot points in order. And Alicent does seem much better developed than most but I actually think that's because of Olivia Cooke's performance, not the writing.

I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something. (I didn't read any of the books.)

by Anonymousreply 160July 10, 2024 12:55 AM

r160, more will come for the characters as the show develops, if it follows the book. Rhaenyra's character will change quite a bit over time, as will Corlys's. We still have much more to see with the Dragonseeds, who will become very important--one of them, Nettles, has yet even to appear as a speaking character.

They seem to be adding quite a bit already to deepen some of the characters who are only sketched out vaguely in the book, particularly Helaena and Aemond as well as Alicent and Viserys and Rhaenys.

by Anonymousreply 161July 10, 2024 1:09 AM

R120, “peace” may be one of those “eye of the beholder” things. Everyone is armed; the ruling class has fancy battle gear and dragon harnesses; armies can be summoned quickly. It looks pretty militaristic.

by Anonymousreply 162July 10, 2024 1:44 AM

[quote]Making the Velaryrons black was honestly smart.

I don’t understand why they’re all blonds. Was that in the books?

by Anonymousreply 163July 10, 2024 2:16 AM

Daenerys Targaryen: We will bring peace back to Westeros.

Olenna Tyrell: Peace? Do you think that's what we had under your father? Or his father? Or his? Peace never lasts, my dear. Will you take a bit of advice from an old woman? He's a clever man, your Hand. I've known a great many clever men. I've outlived them all. You know why? I ignored them. The lords of Westeros are sheep. Are you a sheep? No. You're a dragon. Be a dragon

-GOT

by Anonymousreply 164July 10, 2024 2:22 AM

r163 Yes blond with purple eyes is the general Targ and associated Westeros invaders description. Though it seems very situational since the Baratheons are bastard Targs and them being black Irish featured (for lack of a better description) is a pretty important plot point.

by Anonymousreply 165July 10, 2024 2:25 AM

Yes in the books both House Targaryen and House Velaryon are survivors of the Valyrian Empire. Valyrians tended to have silver hair and purple eyes. The TV show abandoned the purple eyes thing because actors wearing colored contacts is annoying.

But I like the TV show gave House Velaryon that hair color, it makes it clear they are still "exotic" and strange people from another culture.

by Anonymousreply 166July 10, 2024 2:31 AM

[quote] I don’t understand why they’re all blonds. Was that in the books?

Yes.

[quote] House Velaryon is of Valyrian descent, and [bold]its members often have Valyrian features, such as silver-gold or silver hair[/bold] and purple eyes.Some Velaryons have blue or grey-green eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 10, 2024 2:34 AM

The dragons are here because of magic. Fire made flesh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 10, 2024 2:42 AM

So Aegon is still alive, right?

by Anonymousreply 169July 10, 2024 7:14 AM

Yep r169.

Aegon and Sunfyre are injured, but they still have a lot more to do before this show is over.

by Anonymousreply 170July 10, 2024 12:35 PM

R157 That scene annoyed me, too. "Let me show how superior I am by speaking High Valyrian knowing you can't that well!"

*twirls mental moustache and smiles smugly like a soap opera villain*

Aemond would be a good panto baddy but he's a bit too on the nose for this universe.

by Anonymousreply 171July 10, 2024 5:11 PM

I am very intrigued by how Aemond’s eyepatch survives all those windy dragon flights.

by Anonymousreply 172July 10, 2024 8:49 PM

[quote] be a good panto baddy

I always think that about Daemon. Every time he's about to do something morally questionable ( e.g. wife or child murder) he puts on a hooded black cloak and Matt Smith redoes his Prince Philip scowling face from the Crown. I just find it funny at this point.

by Anonymousreply 173July 10, 2024 10:20 PM

R154, in case you've missed it, there's an aftershow following each episode, after the credits and next week's preview. Condal's the main one doing the narrating, though I like that they're interviewing even the actors in relatively minor roles, assuming they've done something interesting in that episode. It's about 7-8 minutes total, and all the actors interviewed are in full costume. (OTOH I'm curious if that's more or less a feint to avoid having to show nonbinary Emma D'Arcy looking nothing whatsoever like their character.)

[quote]But it suffers from a really weird and serious problem that Game of Thrones had after about season 4: the characters seem to lack any kind of inner life.

STRONG disagree, and if anything, we're seeing far too MUCH of one person's inner dialogue, namely Daemon. Rhaenyra had more last season – remember the horrific childbirth scene?? – but she's pretty clearly the most affected by the show's events, particularly losing her son. Despite that, she's sensible enough to understand that going to war with King's Landing will result in basically everyone dying, and unless they deviate significantly from the source material, that's an all-but-certain given, particularly since we know the show has a finite life.

Also, as a poster noted above, Aegon has quite a bit more depth than Joffrey did. They're both grade-A cunts, but at least Aegon isn't a flat-out sociopath devoid of feeling.

[quote]Aegon and Sunfyre are injured, but they still have a lot more to do before this show is over.

Given how freely both HOTD & GOT have deviated from the books, I'd assume nothing whatsoever in this respect. See R123's post for the specifics.

by Anonymousreply 174July 11, 2024 12:08 AM

R174 is clearly our resident know it all for this show. You know the type. Every quality television show has one. This is the guy who knows more than anybody else — about the show, its characters, and even the intentions of its show runners and writers. I am waiting for him to drop the shopworn “you just don’t understand the show!” next.

by Anonymousreply 175July 11, 2024 1:30 AM

Fabien Frankel wants the show to give us Criston hooking up with Gwayne Hightower

[Quote]Frankel: Romance. I don't think [Criston's] built to have relationships . Maybe he falls in love with Gwayne Hightower on the road.

by Anonymousreply 176July 11, 2024 3:20 AM

Forgot link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177July 11, 2024 3:20 AM

R174 contributes knowledgeable posts, r175. What do you bring?

by Anonymousreply 178July 11, 2024 3:33 AM

While i do not disagree with r174 about inner life, i still find much more difficult to care about the characters one thing is inner life, another complexity. Take Daemon extremely boring dreams, sure, he feels some guilt, but this guilt towards his wife/niece doesn’t make him particularly interesting. The one that is getting better in tbis regard is Allicent. Even Rhaenys, played by the great Eve Best, was sort of a cypher. Except for her scenes with the dragons, she had no great scene, just wondered around looking ominous.

Also, some actors are very devoid of charisma. Fabien Frankel is the most obviously so, handsome as he is.

And the politics scenes are much more boring. They were a great part of GOT but here, since most of the characters are unknown (at least for me who hasn’t read the books), they just scream around the table. We knew them better in GOT as truly secondary characters. Now that the war has truly began I expect this will change.

by Anonymousreply 179July 11, 2024 6:41 AM

who can keep the characters all straight?

we watch for the dragons.

by Anonymousreply 180July 11, 2024 6:50 AM

[quote]all the actors interviewed are in full costume. (OTOH I'm curious if that's more or less a feint to avoid having to show nonbinary Emma D'Arcy looking nothing whatsoever like their character.)

R174 I just assumed it was because they were interviewed on set. After all, the cast have spare time between scenes they're not in and they're readily available. It's easier to talk about an episode you've just filmed, rather than months (or sometimes more than a year) later.

by Anonymousreply 181July 11, 2024 8:25 AM

I also meant to say that I've seen plenty of interviews with Emma D'Arcy out of costume. It's easy to tell who they are; especially considering they don't alter their voice for Rhaenyra (as far as I can tell anyway).

by Anonymousreply 182July 11, 2024 8:27 AM

not!

by Anonymousreply 183July 11, 2024 8:39 AM

I don’t find Fabian Frankel handsome. He just has good hair.

by Anonymousreply 184July 11, 2024 1:07 PM

So is the plan just to turn Cole into a gigolo then? Seems like a bit of a downgrade from the description I saw of him from the book. Its about as big a downgrade as what they did to Loras tbh.

by Anonymousreply 185July 11, 2024 1:49 PM

What did they do to Loras?

by Anonymousreply 186July 11, 2024 2:27 PM

[quote] especially considering they don't alter their voice for Rhaenyra

Are you referring to Emma D'Arcy and Milly Alcock?

by Anonymousreply 187July 11, 2024 2:29 PM

Are you saying that because they added in Cole sleeping with Alicent r185?

Personally I didn't mind that. I actually Cole is more interesting of a character in the show than he was in Fire and Blood. Fabien Frankel is one of the weaker actors in the cast, but I think they made Cole into a compelling douchebag of an antagonist, as he should be.

by Anonymousreply 188July 11, 2024 2:34 PM

[quote]This is the guy who knows more than anybody else — about the show, its characters, and even the intentions of its show runners and writers.

Not even remotely true. I haven't read any of the books, and the only way I can keep all the characters straight is via online recaps (as was also true for GoT). But sure, by all means keep jumping to false conclusions, while I most certainly will *not* apologize for doing my fucking homework.

[quote]Also, some actors are very devoid of charisma. Fabien Frankel is the most obviously so, handsome as he is.

Agreed, as much as I hate to say it, along with most of R179's other remarks. Definite agreement that this show's council meetings have been mostly tedious & dull. (That's probably the only area where I'd agree with Aegon.)

[quote]It's easier to talk about an episode you've just filmed, rather than months (or sometimes more than a year) later.

True, except this *isn't* what they're doing. The interviews with each producer, director, writer or actor – covering the *entire* season – were clearly filmed in a single day (per person, not literally everyone on the same day). Ryan Condal wears the same outfit in each, and looks the same, as is also true for everyone except the cast. Also, each cast member's interview has them in the same location, and at the same camera angle, as all of their previous post-show clips. What I'm admittedly wondering is how they handle it with actors like Eve Best whose characters die, e.g. whether they return later on for interview purposes.

Btw HBO does something similar with "Hacks," except in its case the people discussing the episode are the three showrunners. They're always dressed the same, so I assume they filmed all of those sequences in one sitting. (It's admittedly silly to have the same group of people return every single week for all of 10 minutes, dressed in identical attire as before.) Another spin is how they do it for the various "Star Trek" shows on Paramount+: Wil Wheaton hosts a half-hour after-show each week that a live-action series has a new episode, and you can tell it's all done well after filming is finished – mostly within a month or so of the show's airing. In that case it's by necessity, given that they've filmed some in Toronto and others in L.A.

Anyway, I assume all the people doing long-after-the-fact interviews – and keep in mind that this is standard for any given theatrical movie, meaning the actors have to go on numerous talk shows & the like to discuss something likely filmed at least a year before – do some degree of homework beforehand, e.g. watching the finished episode or at least a rough cut of it, with some prompting by the never-seen interviewers.

by Anonymousreply 189July 11, 2024 6:03 PM

The actor who plays Aemond has a very distracting chin.

by Anonymousreply 190July 12, 2024 2:49 AM

You can watch Steve Toussaint and Eve Best play a game on youtube where they have to identify characters from the show based on lines from the show they read out loud, and Best refers to Fabien Frankel as "that really handsome actor on the show." I thought that might be a bit of an unmeant diss towards Toussaint or the other men, but I think it's impossible to deny Frankel's the handsomest, objectively speaking.

I agree he's not brought much to the part at least so far. Like the actor who plays Jacaerys (who is also very good looking), he's not much of an actor, especially when compared to the women (all of whom so far have been fantastic).

by Anonymousreply 191July 12, 2024 3:08 AM

[quote] while I most certainly will *not* apologize for doing my fucking homework.

You looking for a cookie? It’s a TV show. There is no homework. Get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 192July 12, 2024 3:09 AM

Ewan Mitchell does have a huge jaw, but he can look handsome if made up right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193July 12, 2024 4:11 AM

[quote] What did they do to Loras?

They blowed him up real good!

by Anonymousreply 194July 12, 2024 4:12 AM

[quote]I think it's impossible to deny Frankel's the handsomest, objectively speaking.

Pretty sure Matt Smith has a sizable fanbase who'd beg to differ, though I think he peaked with "Doctor Who" and is WAY overdoing it with dermal fillers now. I agree with you, in other words, but he's had stans for over a decade because of that.

by Anonymousreply 195July 13, 2024 8:25 PM

Smith has the same online fanbase Cumberbatch used to have before he went mainstream Hollywood. The women horny for a slightly odd looking English man with a good voice brigade.

by Anonymousreply 196July 13, 2024 8:32 PM

Aren’t Aegon’s facial burns on the wrong side?

by Anonymousreply 197July 15, 2024 11:09 AM

Well that was a snore.

by Anonymousreply 198July 15, 2024 11:42 AM

R198 I literally fell asleep three times. I don’t even really know what happened in the episode.

by Anonymousreply 199July 15, 2024 12:26 PM

Yeah it was a slow episode, but that is expected after the big battle last week.

Harry Collett is a pretty little thing but unfortunately not a great actor. It was hard to take him seriously when he was meeting with the Freys IMO.

And Daemon hallucinating at Harrenhall is officially starting to get boring, we need some forward momentum with that plotline

by Anonymousreply 200July 15, 2024 3:40 PM

I had one of those moments when I realized I was paying no attention to the show, and I decided there was no point to rewinding back to where my attention drifted.

by Anonymousreply 201July 15, 2024 6:32 PM

R200, I can't figure out where they are going with the Harrenhall story. Yes, it's an evil house, and under well-established story telling conventions, it will go after people who are susceptible to its influence. That's why lovable Ser Simon would never be a target. But we're not learning anything new about Daemon's character, are we?

by Anonymousreply 202July 15, 2024 6:43 PM

The Daemon segment is getting beyond boring. This was the inevitable slow episode that always comes after an eventful one, but still.

Agree that some young actors are lacking. Rhanyra’s son was not great, but the actress playing Baella was dismal in her talk with her grandfather.

Allicent is now the one with the good lines and character arch.

by Anonymousreply 203July 15, 2024 8:30 PM

It's not as bad as "The Bear" is about it, but I'm feeling like the majority of this season – with the definite exception of last week's triple dragon fight – is basically just filler in anticipation of more significant plot lines down the road. Not sure why they made such a to-do about the "Aegon reveal": I said upthread that he was probably alive but barely so, and covered in third-degree burns & broken bones. While he only seems to have broken one bone (which is absurd from a fall from that height), his skin having literally MELTED – hence the reason they had to dislodge the Valerian armor piece by piece – should've been the end of him.

And yet it's not. S2 is repeating one of the same mistakes as S1: last season they dragged out Viserys's death until the literal end, long after it got tedious. Now that Aemond has gotten a taste of what it's like to lead, why the AF would he NOT smother Aegon in his sleep at the earliest opportunity?

R202, I think the Harrenhal reveal will likely be related to what Rhaenyra & Jace figured out near the end of the episode: their ace in the hole is having a total fuckload of dragons. What they don't have, and badly NEED, are dragon riders, and they figured – correctly – that descendants of Old Valyria may have what amounts to an untapped superpower: the ability to "match" with, and ride, a dragon. Vhagar may be the biggest, but even huge foes can only withstand a finite number of attackers at once.

Or the entire Harrenhal bit might be there to result in Daemon's demise. He already ordered the flat-out slaughter & rape of women & children – prompting the midnight visit from the Brackens, since the Blackwoods curiously insisted on raising the Targaryen flag despite Daemon saying they needed to be kept out of it – and is now literally being haunted by all of it, at least while he's not busy eating out his own mother's pussy in his dreams. (Even Cheryl was grossed out by that part!)

Finally, as for the acting: I was bored last year and went back to watch the earliest episodes of "Game of Thrones." Holy SHIT is Sansa an aggravating, utterly spoiled twat! (Not that any character deserved the twofer of Joffrey followed by Ramsay Bolton, but it turned her from a ditz into a legitimate lead character. Even Kit Harington's acting was as bad as Harry Collett's at the time, and they were around the same age IRL.) Daemon's antics are getting *very* old, but OTOH they seem to be setting him up to fail. Denying Rhaenyra as his queen – while the Greens are doing the same – while also slaughtering innocents seems like a great setup for a season-ending dragon-heavy finale between either him and Aemond, or him and Rhaenyra.

by Anonymousreply 204July 15, 2024 8:37 PM

R204, Kit Harrington’s acting never improved,

by Anonymousreply 205July 15, 2024 8:50 PM

What do dragons eat? Especially the ones that are in the hole and aren't flying?

by Anonymousreply 206July 15, 2024 9:17 PM

Dragon Chow

by Anonymousreply 207July 15, 2024 9:19 PM

We see in season 1 then bringing livestock like goats and sheep into the dragon pit for the dragons to eat.

And obviously the bigger the dragon the more it has to eat. There has been lots of mention this season of how farmers are suffering because Vhagar has to eat so much of their flock.

by Anonymousreply 208July 15, 2024 9:20 PM

But they would have to have hundreds if not thousands of goats every day for that many dragons.

by Anonymousreply 209July 15, 2024 9:24 PM

R209, dragons are all fun and games until they turn into an enormous drain on the economy.

by Anonymousreply 210July 15, 2024 9:30 PM

How many dragons do you think there are r209?

Kings Landing only has three dragons present.

Now Dragonstone has more, but Dragonstone has caves that dragons sleep in but they can come and go as they please to go hunt. They are not kept caged in like in the dragon pit at Kings Landing.

by Anonymousreply 211July 15, 2024 9:42 PM

Didn’t they say the dragons were “slumbering” below them?

by Anonymousreply 212July 15, 2024 9:42 PM

Yes, Dragonstone is a volcanic island with lots of caves and caverns. The dragons hang out in those caves. So like Jace said they are slumbering beneath them.

It being a perfect home for dragons is why the Targaryens made their home there in the first place. But those dragons are free to hunt, we see Seamoke flying around in a few scenes this season.

by Anonymousreply 213July 15, 2024 10:24 PM

R211 One of those big cunts would need dozens of goats a day

by Anonymousreply 214July 16, 2024 3:28 PM

It's kind of weird how unorganised the dragon feeding system is you'd think setting up farms and livestock taxation for Dragon Uber Eats would be one of the first things they did after invading instead they've gone for a just let them fly around and kill shit to eat approach for a few hundred years.

by Anonymousreply 215July 16, 2024 4:44 PM

Dragons demand their freedom.

by Anonymousreply 216July 16, 2024 4:51 PM

The dragons are a giant flying Pentagon budget.

by Anonymousreply 217July 16, 2024 6:31 PM

To make a nerdy correction, it hasn't been few hundred years r216. We are about 130 years "AC", or after Aegon's Conquest when the Targs claimed Westeros. The entire Targaryen dynasty lasts ~282 years until Roberts Rebellion happens which leads to Game of Thrones.

by Anonymousreply 218July 17, 2024 3:02 AM

Interrupted lezzie action! Is there a dragon named Subaryx?

by Anonymousreply 219July 22, 2024 2:08 AM

[quote] "I was horribly raped by my dad"

[quote] *dykery immediately ensues*

Sure why not at this point.

by Anonymousreply 220July 22, 2024 9:02 AM

Daemon’s hallucinating is beyond tedious at this point.

by Anonymousreply 221July 22, 2024 2:05 PM

There is really only one true queen of Westeros—-Gwayne.

by Anonymousreply 222July 22, 2024 2:14 PM

This season itself is beyond tedious at this point. Politicking set-up episodes are fine but 90% of these characters are just bland and uninteresting repeating the same scene over and over.

by Anonymousreply 223July 22, 2024 6:27 PM

Freddie Fox is so good here r222. Loved that scene between him and Alicent.

Also good is the guy that plays Larys, that scene with Aegon was the best of the episode.

Rhaenyra going for a walk on the gay side with Mysaris surprised me, but that's fine. There is even wilder lesbianics in the text where there are rumors that she, Laena and Daemon used to all play together.

by Anonymousreply 224July 22, 2024 8:14 PM

R221, I completely agree and was actually irritated by it. So very boring and if they are going for sentiment it utterly fails.

Another filler episode. With tight writing all this could ve taken place in 10 minutes or so.

by Anonymousreply 225July 22, 2024 9:10 PM

I don't get the whole Lady Jeyne Arryn, Daemon's daughter, baby dragons scenario. Whatcia that all about? Who is she?

by Anonymousreply 226July 23, 2024 6:39 AM

B O R I N G

by Anonymousreply 227July 23, 2024 1:49 PM

What are you confused on r226?

Daemon's daughter Rhaena, who failed at claiming a dragon, is currently in the Vale with Rhaenyra's youngest children. She is there to make sure Lady Arryn keeps her promise about providing men for Rhaenyra's cause and then she is meant to take the family to Pentos.

However she finds out there is a wild (meaning a dragon that has never had a rider) dragon currently hunting in the Vale. Clearly she is thinking about trying to claim it so she no longer feels useless as the only Targaryen in the family who doesn't have a dragon.

by Anonymousreply 228July 23, 2024 2:10 PM

She didn’t “fail” fail.

by Anonymousreply 229July 23, 2024 3:10 PM

R228, I think R226 asked fair questions. Someone who watches this every seven days and isn't into the mythology can get confused as to where subplots are going. One of the most effective things about GoT was it's map-like opening sequences; it reminded viewers where one place was relative to other places and identified what specific spots would be important in the current episode. House of the Dragon seems to take it for granted that we knew where the hell the Vale and the Riverlands are and why they are important, and that's not necessarily true.

by Anonymousreply 230July 23, 2024 4:27 PM

Judging by the angry nerd screeching on reddit they've given her some character called "Nettles" story arc so she has something to do.

by Anonymousreply 231July 23, 2024 4:40 PM

R228 Yeah, but who is Lady Arryn? What's her role in the Hotd world?

by Anonymousreply 232July 23, 2024 7:55 PM

Rhaenyra’s mother was an Arryn.

by Anonymousreply 233July 23, 2024 8:05 PM

The Arryn family are the rulers of the Vale, one of the kingdoms of Westeros. Like the Starks of The North.

by Anonymousreply 234July 23, 2024 8:23 PM

Rulers? I thought we were an autonomous collective.

by Anonymousreply 235July 23, 2024 8:47 PM

Thanks. All these names and different houses confuse me. Especially when they are not even showing them, but are just talking about them in every episode. It would be easier if you had a face to pin the name to

by Anonymousreply 236July 24, 2024 9:12 AM

[quote] It would be easier if you had a face to pin the name to

Fans have created a convenient wiki for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237July 25, 2024 3:08 AM

The Sevemn Kingdoms at the time of Aegon's Conquest:

*The Kingdom of the North, ruled by House Stark of Winterfell

*The Kingdom of the Mountain and the Vale, ruled by House Arryn of The Eyrie.

*The Iron islands, ruled by House Greyjoy of Pyke

*The Ringdom of the Rock, ruled by House Lannister of Casterly Rock

*The Stormlands, ruled by House Durrandon of Storm's End (which was later given after their extinction by Aegon I to his close friends the Baratheons to rule)

*The Kingdom of the Reach, ruled by House Gardener of Highgarden (later given after their extinction by Aegon I to House Tyrell, who supported his invasion)

*Dorne, ruled by House Martell of Sunspear. Dorne is the only nation that successfully resisted Aegon's Conquest, but later the family married into the Targayen dtynasty, bringing it into alignment with the other kingdoms and under Targaryen rule,

In addition there are two regions that were powerful enough that after the conquuest they became protectorates (akin to sub-kingdoms):

*The Riverlands, ruled by House Tully of Riverrun

*The Crownlands, ruled by whichever dynasty controls King's Landing (currently the Targaryens of the Red Keep, who also rule all of the other kingdoms)

by Anonymousreply 238July 25, 2024 3:18 AM

I love the Daemon dream elements, which I believe (could be wrong as I haven't yet read the source material) aren't in the books? And I thought the whole Ser Simon thing was wonderfully done. Perhaps even ... well done

by Anonymousreply 239July 25, 2024 3:30 AM

It’s a very sad state of affairs when Fabien Frankel is considered the handsomest actor on the show. He’s cute and masculine-looking, but nothing special, and certainly not handsome. He’s the type of blando who plays the young dad in a bank commercial. He’s also an incredibly weak actor. I wondered if he got the part because he was sleeping with a female producer on the show . . .

Week after week I am shocked at how mediocre the male actors looks are. — there ought to be one stunning guy after another. Alas, no.

by Anonymousreply 240July 25, 2024 3:58 AM

[quote] I wondered if he got the part because he was sleeping with a female producer on the show . . .

Female producer?

Have you seen Fabian Frankel in interviews?

by Anonymousreply 241July 25, 2024 4:46 AM

His hair this season is so much better.

by Anonymousreply 242July 25, 2024 5:05 AM

r241, does he set the gaydar off?

by Anonymousreply 243July 25, 2024 6:30 AM

R243 🚨

by Anonymousreply 244July 25, 2024 7:05 AM

To be fair to Frankel, it’s not as if the writers have done anything with the character. He pretty much just stands there.

In GOT, every character around the council table was so distinctive. Here, it’s just a bunch of place holders. And that truck with the marble balls is just silly.

by Anonymousreply 245July 25, 2024 1:18 PM

^trick

by Anonymousreply 246July 25, 2024 1:18 PM

A lot of things people are complaining about have to do with moving the pieces around the chessboard, which is a necessity for this show as it was for Game of Thrones (given that most people in Westeros cannot fly dragons and so it takes forever to get from one part of the continent to another). Also, it's because the original source material (which was just about half a book) was a bit underwritten. There should be a big battle coming up at the end of the season, and then another big one early or midway through the next season, but in the original book Martin did not give anything for Daemon to do during that time other than occupy Harrenhal. So they've added to the series all this business with the dreams and/or ghosts for him because Matt Smith is the star of the show (he's literally first-billed) and they need to give him something to do onscreen.

Many of the other plot threads people are complaining about--Aegon's disfiguration and long healing after the Battle of Rook's Rest, the finding of the Dragonseeds who can ride the mature dragons housed underneath Dragonstone--will pay off next season or the season after. Suffice it to say that Aegon needs to become even more bitter and twisted for later plot developments to occur, and that the Dragonseeds will be a huge part of next season once they take their dragons and start fighting.

by Anonymousreply 247July 25, 2024 4:13 PM

SPOILER!

An interesting thing: during the riot aimed at Alicent and Helaena after they left the sept, an elderly member of the smallfolk grabbed Alicent and then had his arm holding her gown chopped off by a member of the Kingsguard. There's quite a speculation on line that this guy (the elderly man who now has only one hand) will become the future character known as The Shepherd, who will become very important during later seasons. Helaena looks like she's having a scary vision or remembering one from a dream during the riot, so she's probably there seeing the horrible things The Shepherd does later in the show (since she has prophetic visions that always come true).

by Anonymousreply 248July 25, 2024 4:59 PM

R247, everyone here has been watching long-form TV for years. We know all about story arcs and slow build-ups. There’s no question that the show suffers from weak writing. It’s not enough to promise us that something will happen at some point in the future. Every episode needs a reason to exist.

by Anonymousreply 249July 25, 2024 5:00 PM

Oh, boo hoo hoo, r249.

If you're so miserable and hate it so much, stop watching.

by Anonymousreply 250July 25, 2024 5:07 PM

This is Datalounge. The fanboy forums are elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 251July 25, 2024 5:21 PM

I really want to hang out with Gwayne. Not the actor who plays him—the character. It is rare that I feel like this.

by Anonymousreply 252July 25, 2024 10:05 PM

i stopped watching.

by Anonymousreply 253July 25, 2024 10:12 PM

R245, though i agree he has not the best of lines, he still has stories going on to exploit, his relationship with Allicent, with her children, etc. He had a prominent role in the Rooks nedt battle, but sill there is nothing there, just a void, due mostly to his lack of charisma and acting ability. There were many secondary characters in GOT who did much more with lesser roles.

Whatever the reason for the dream sequences re cast, they are boring and bad to the point of being a disservice to the character.

There are still good scenes, which only showcase the bad ones. This episode, as r224 says, the best scene was a short quiet scene when Lord Larys visits Aegon in the bedroom. It was very well acted and tense.

by Anonymousreply 254July 25, 2024 11:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!