Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Happy Pride 2024

As we embark upon another Pride Month, it seems prudent for an annual reminder....

Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera deserve legendary status as activists, and trailblazers in the quest for LGBTQ+ rights.

They did not throw a first brick at Stonewall.

They were not at Stonewall when it started. Marsha showed up later on. Sylvia was on heroin in Bryant Park, and later begged historians to claim that she and Marsha threw the first bricks, or first cocktail glass.

Marsha and Sylvia were not Trans. They did not identify as Trans. There are videos were they talk about being boys in dresses. Towards the end of Sylvia's life, her activism began to embrace Transgenders more than others, and she herself identified that way, but this began in the 1990s.

In 1969, these two activists were drag queens, transvestites, street sex workers with wigs, 'boys in a dress' by their own definition, and created the STAR activist group "Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries", which advocated for greater visibility, housing and healthcare for other transvestites, gay, lesbian and also transsexuals (whom later were known as Transgender).

Transvestites and drag queens dress in women's clothing for a variety of reasons. Most do not gender identify as anything other than men.

Transgender people are a very specific subset of our community and deserve to have the incredible story they do have. They do not, however, deserve to be known as the folks who 'started it all'. Stonewall, the first Pride, Gay Liberation Front, Mattachine Society - this was a group effort, led almost entirely by gay men, some with wigs, and the movement later ballooned into a larger community of activism including the full Queer spectrum.

The Trans trajectory owes a lot to Marsha, Sylvia, and the GAY MEN of the past who fought for equal rights.

Resist the false narrative of the Trans Hero with the First Brick. Know the truth.

Happy Pride!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2024 10:20 AM

Thread closed in 3… 2..

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2024 5:58 PM

What’s happy about it?

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2024 5:59 PM

Happy or sad, who can argue with actual facts? (I know, I know: anybody nowadays.)

OP is right.

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2024 6:03 PM

I’ll celebrate pride in my own home preferably ALONE!

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2024 6:06 PM

Enlighten me, OP. Do you think you are delivering new revelatory history to the 200 or so old gay men who frequent Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2024 6:07 PM

Fifty five years since Stonewall and Judy Garland’s death.

One of the great DL stories: “Judy Garland’s Casket Handles.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2024 6:11 PM

50 strong n proud

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2024 6:12 PM

I know that this recently spawned narrative is incorrect but gains traction because of wishful thinking among those focused on finding a trans and race contribution to the effort. At this point we who are old enough and were around at the time know that it is false. The street kids who were constantly hassled by the cops started it. But they don’t have a cause or an organization behind them. They were just pissed. And rightly so.

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2024 7:32 PM

On the first day, Marsha P. Johnson came to us down from the sky.

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2024 7:53 PM

Happy pride my ass

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2024 12:50 AM

R5, you clearly haven't read the Heartstopper threads. There are hundreds of baby gays here, and they often try to school us old queens on things like this. Just wait...

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2024 1:24 AM

Sing to me, O Muse, of Marsha and Sylvia,

Olympian gods in mortal guise,

Who in New York's Stonewall Inn,

Ignited flames of an eternal uprising.

-

In those days, beneath the moon’s full glow,

The Stonewall Inn stood as refuge,

A sanctuary from prejudice’s storms,

A sacred place unknown to mortals.

-

Marsha, crowned in flowers, eyes like stars,

And Sylvia, fierce and radiant as the sun,

Descended from Olympus, their divine power hidden,

To aid those seeking justice.

-

On a fateful night, under Luna’s light,

Marsha and Sylvia entered the Stonewall,

Their presence a silent promise of change,

As the NYPD approached with ill intent.

-

Marsha, with a wave, summoned Pegasus,

Its wings shining like moonlit streams.

Sylvia, with a voice like thunder, called forth

Spartans of Thermopylae, warriors of old.

-

From shadows of Thermopylae they came,

In gleaming armor, spears sharp and ready,

To join modern souls in defiance

Against forces of darkness and tyranny.

-

The Stonewall Inn became a battlefield,

Where divine and mortal fought side by side,

Marsha and Sylvia wielding godly might,

Shielding the brave with barriers of light.

-

Pegasus soared, a symbol of pure hope,

Leading the people with radiant wings.

Spartans clashed with NYPD and their beasts,

Hydra and Echidna unleashed to quell the uprising.

-

As battle raged, cries of liberation,

Clashed with monsters’ roars and righteous fury.

Marsha and Sylvia, with divine power,

Turned the tide, driving the monsters back.

-

In the end, the oppressors were vanquished,

Their spirits broken by the will of the just.

The Stonewall Uprising became legend,

A tale of gods and mortals united for freedom.

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2024 1:47 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2024 2:26 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2024 2:36 AM

[quote]Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera deserve legendary status as activists, and trailblazers in the quest for LGBTQ+ rights.

Hon, stop. Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2024 2:43 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2024 2:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2024 2:51 AM

R15, you clearly stopped reading after that.

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2024 3:50 PM

No, I read the rest, but even this ridiculous "didn't participate award" is beyond facts and reason.

Both of these non-transgender men were completely peripheral to the event and really the movement. It is shameful young "queers" are welded to their myth.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2024 2:57 AM

I would like to know if Marsha's and Sylvia's families have trademarks and lawyers and are at least getting cuts of all the advertising revenue made off clickbait mentions of their stories. AND they should get a cut of any non profit fundraising using their names. Since this is super cynical fake history and noxious identity construction by "professional" trans, today's trans and queers should fork over a percentage. Sheesh. They are COLONISING Marsha and Sylvia. It's appalling.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2024 10:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!